Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kind of sad to trash talk over a friendly tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Bamford scored against forest in a friendly the other day and hit them with the ear cup celebration and then his hamstrings immediately exploded. A cautionary tale

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vegetable posted:

nothing like logging on to a bunch of fan forums to see their xTpMAFFF (eXpected Trophies per Meaningless American Fitness-Focused Friendly) scores

looks like we're at 0.18 predicted european cups for the season based on Charlie Savage doing some light jogging and also a pass

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Bamford scored against forest in a friendly the other day and hit them with the ear cup celebration and then his hamstrings immediately exploded. A cautionary tale

thought spurs just won the ear cup

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saw somebody in suburban Tokyo wearing an early ‘90s Darren Anderton Spurs shirt this afternoon, for those old enough to remember when football was invented. Had the old PL patches and block numbers and all.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
great taste imo. none of the nike kits have been as good as this

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 6, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Since the season hasn't started yet I'm gonna take a moment to highlight the career of Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu, a midfielder who plays for Luton Town. When the season starts, he will become the first player ever to make it from non-league football to the Premier League with the same club. He joined Luton aged 19 in 2013 on loan from West Ham, when Luton were playing in the Conference Premier (now the Vanarama National League). He impressed them enough that Luton signed him permanently in January 2014, and he made 24 appearances that season as Luton won the Conference Premier and were promoted to League Two.

Mpanzu then played with Luton for their four years in League Two, had back-to-back promotions from League Two into the Championship in 2018 and 2019, and then played with Luton for their four years in the Championship until their promotion last season. It's a hell of an achievement and it'll be great to see him play in the Premier League after a career like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Holsten shirt will always be the Spurs shirt imo

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Nuclear Spoon posted:

great taste imo. none of the nike kits have been as good as this

I wonder how often he actually wore that kit (in a match) given his feeble body.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Xabi posted:

I wonder how often he actually wore that kit (in a match) given his feeble body.

a fair bit! that's the 92/93 shirt he's wearing there - his real bad injury spells were from 95-98

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dar...os=&trainer_id=

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

Since the season hasn't started yet I'm gonna take a moment to highlight the career of Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu, a midfielder who plays for Luton Town. When the season starts, he will become the first player ever to make it from non-league football to the Premier League with the same club. He joined Luton aged 19 in 2013 on loan from West Ham, when Luton were playing in the Conference Premier (now the Vanarama National League). He impressed them enough that Luton signed him permanently in January 2014, and he made 24 appearances that season as Luton won the Conference Premier and were promoted to League Two.

Mpanzu then played with Luton for their four years in League Two, had back-to-back promotions from League Two into the Championship in 2018 and 2019, and then played with Luton for their four years in the Championship until their promotion last season. It's a hell of an achievement and it'll be great to see him play in the Premier League after a career like that.

Yeah this rules and he rules

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

vyelkin posted:

Whoa, that’s a great story. Shows that football can still deliver heartfelming moments

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great career for the dude but how poo poo are the lower leagues that some team can just surge through the ranks and get consecutive promotions

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

i liked the people who were whistling for the charity match to end to avoid exactly this

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

this owns

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vegetable posted:

Great career for the dude but how poo poo are the lower leagues that some team can just surge through the ranks and get consecutive promotions

It took them ten years to be fair

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vegetable posted:

Wigan and Bradford went from what's now League Two to the Premier League and then all the way back down in the 2000s, and Oldham did before them, so I don't think it's any more doable now than it was before

iirc the main bottlenecks are trying not to get stuck for ten years spaffing the chairman's money on trying to get promoted out of the Championship, and then going up to the PL and committing 105% of your turnover on various journeymen mercenaries in order to try and stay in the league

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The curtain has now been raised and football has returned. Someone make the August thread with handy flow charts for new posters who will pretend to care about recruitment policies and not jumping on the bandwagon and then just pick liverpool

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

the sex ghost posted:

and then just pick liverpool
considering our summer recruitment and the fact that we're starting... *checks* curtis jones in defensive midfield this sunday away at chelsea, I think any budding new liverpool plastics are in for a rude awakening lol

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The last 4 Chelsea-Liverpool games have been 0-0 so I’m not holding my breath for anything worthwhile to take place on Sunday

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would like the run of laughing at Chelsea to continue

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Thanks Ants posted:

:hmmyes:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Not an empty quote

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

vyelkin posted:

Pele and Ruddock are two slightly different players to be named after, sounds like a good combo.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Thanks Ants posted:

I like that their owner it is a rich gently caress twit, who wants to show off his toys.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they still owned by the "we can win three nil" guy?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they still owned by the "we can win three nil" guy?

Yes, the guy who bought the club for £4.5b 15 months ago is still the owner.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
spurs lost to barca 4-2 after conceding 3 goals in the last 10 minutes but before that we looked the most entertaining ever since poch left. fully angepilled. yves bissouma is so loving good to watch.

eric dier probably gotta go though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

LopeteGONE

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Complained so hard that the board decided they'd rather pay out a three year deal than listen to him any more. Impeccable work :worship:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's some proper football managers lunch club credentials

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nuclear Spoon posted:

spurs lost to barca 4-2 after conceding 3 goals in the last 10 minutes but before that we looked the most entertaining ever since poch left. fully angepilled. yves bissouma is so loving good to watch.

eric dier probably gotta go though

https://youtu.be/qUhuIV-Nptw

the sex ghost posted:

Complained so hard that the board decided they'd rather pay out a three year deal than listen to him any more. Impeccable work :worship:

Does this count for the sack race?

Also the rumor is Chelsea is about to be sponsored by a brand new holding company that has existed for like a month. Nice job, lads.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think you'lll find Bodd Toehly Inc isn't in any way related the to Saudi Royal Family Todd Boehly.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
the biggest lol

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1689237596998651904

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
That reminds me, must get round to making the 'post itt every time the refs are fraudulent and corrupt' thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The forum software cannot handle that much posting

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

That reminds me, must get round to making the 'post itt every time the refs are fraudulent and corrupt' thread

Can the servers handle that kind of traffic to a single thread?

E: :cawg:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It wouldn't surprise me if the VAR software is a bunch of PHP scripts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the biggest sign that Howard Webb isn't joking when he says there aren't enough refs in the game and that's why they're all poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

the biggest sign that Howard Webb isn't joking when he says there aren't enough refs in the game and that's why they're all poo poo

He should consider hiring by quantity not weight then