Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

https://youtu.be/qUhuIV-Nptw

Does this count for the sack race?

Also the rumor is Chelsea is about to be sponsored by a brand new holding company that has existed for like a month. Nice job, lads.

Rich Energy is back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

vyelkin posted:

the biggest sign that Howard Webb isn't joking when he says there aren't enough refs in the game and that's why they're all poo poo

they should be paid enough to attract retired players (maybe from a league or 2 down)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the VAR software is a bunch of PHP scripts
Video Assists by Radium

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

sebzilla posted:

LopeteGONE

Why couldn't I have picked Liverpool like a normal plastic?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1689275469630222337

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

I'll change my pick to Moyes, since my first attempt was too good

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Bea Nanner posted:

they should be paid enough to attract retired players (maybe from a league or 2 down)
I wonder how much it would cost to make this happen? Each Prem team pays £1m each per season into a grassroots/wages pot that's used to improve refereeing standards, which is pretty much nothing for them? And you can make it easier to attract people who aren't loving Paul Tierney or Anthony Taylor to train up and referee your games.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Nuclear Spoon posted:

spurs lost to barca 4-2 after conceding 3 goals in the last 10 minutes but before that we looked the most entertaining ever since poch left. fully angepilled. yves bissouma is so loving good to watch.

eric dier probably gotta go though

Why are you reading anything whatsoever from preseason friendlies? Just, no.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

yeah let's have lee dixon referee the game, that'll go well

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Reminder that Liverpoo beat City convincingly in last year’s Community Shield and Darwin was the next big thing and Haaland was a bust

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Reminder that Liverpoo beat City convincingly in last year’s Community Shield and Darwin was the next big thing and Haaland was a bust

All facts, now as they were then.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Are people rating Liverpool highly this season? They signed Mac Allister The defense is still strong, but had a rough time last year and there hasn't been many improvements and they shipped out part of the spine of the team. Klopp is still great. The investment seems to be lacking compared to other top teams.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Why are you reading anything whatsoever from preseason friendlies? Just, no.

i am not saying anything about how well they will execute the gameplans, only that it is already noticeably different from the turgid dogshit of the last 4 years. spurs could be garbage and finish 10th but i don't think it will be boring.

Tiger Crazy posted:

Are people rating Liverpool highly this season? They signed Mac Allister The defense is still strong, but had a rough time last year and there hasn't been many improvements and they shipped out part of the spine of the team. Klopp is still great. The investment seems to be lacking compared to other top teams.

i would be very surprised if they made top 4

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i am not saying anything about how well they will execute the gameplans, only that it is already noticeably different from the turgid dogshit of the last 4 years. spurs could be garbage and finish 10th but i don't think it will be boring.

i would be very surprised if they made top 4

it's mad, to me, that spurs have had one of the best attacking partnerships in the world for years and years and have consistently hired the most defensively-minded managers money could buy in the same period

meanwhile their actual defence is made up of eric dier, joe rodon and that other guy

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

Some people are

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66437506

Someone please save this for posterity

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Villa 5th and Newcastle 7th is mad

Edit: Archived http://archive.today/vr6Fs

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 9, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero chance liverpoo finishes above chealshit this year

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If villa finish fifth I will hoot and holler for months

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is there a prediction thread where we can all laugh at how stupid we were in like nine months time?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

Is there a prediction thread where we can all laugh at how stupid we were in like nine months time?

I’m composing one rn

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tiger Crazy posted:

I'm expecting, idk, 5th or 6th. Mac Allister and Szoboszlai seem like good additions but despite that the midfield somehow looks even thinner than it did last season when it was a big crisis and we ran out of midfielders, and other parts of the team are sparse or aging or both. I wouldn't be surprised by top 4 but it would require a lot of stuff to go right given how many other teams look strong

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea challenge for at least Top 4 again given they have 0 involvement in European competition this year, should give them more of a rest and chance to bed in the 8,000 new players Todd Boehly has compulsively bought.

I think 5th or 6th for Liverpool would be an ok finish - the defense is still frail and I don't think Big Virg has gotten better after a nightmare season, especially by his previous high standards. The TAA as a RB moving to a 6 when in possession experiment will presumably continue. Two solid midfield additions but very little defensive cover + inconsistent CB's + Klopp's high line could spell some hilarious, entertaining and high-scoring disasters.

Villa and Newcastle in Europe will be interesting to watch - Emery is the master of the competition, whereas virtually no one at Newcastle aside from Trippier or new signing Tonali have played in the CL before, let alone Howe managing a team in it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sticksy posted:

I’m composing one rn

Chop chop

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Harvey Barnes has experience losing in a champions league game.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

kri kri posted:

Chop chop

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038947

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

kri kri posted:

Zero chance liverpoo finishes above chealshit this year

liverpool dont have a midfield but chelsea is run by clowns

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

I'm expecting, idk, 5th or 6th. Mac Allister and Szoboszlai seem like good additions but despite that the midfield somehow looks even thinner than it did last season when it was a big crisis and we ran out of midfielders, and other parts of the team are sparse or aging or both. I wouldn't be surprised by top 4 but it would require a lot of stuff to go right given how many other teams look strong

Trent can be a #10 now OP, he bossed San Marino or something

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SamiMokbel81_DM/status/1689552403404668928?t=SpYmPsXl9-MsQuAS0OCiBA&s=19

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

RIP Emi Buendia his knee exploded and he never played for us again

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1689583634611634176

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Several months out is probably a Jesus-style knee explosion

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trent can be a #10 now OP, he bossed San Marino or something

Trent can play in midfield and we just won't have a right back, what's the worst that could happen?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

better than Trent playing right back and you not having a right back

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Trent can play in midfield and we just won't have a right back, what's the worst that could happen?

we might only win 2 or 3 trophies op but it's a transition year

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Liverpool will finish first or second TBF.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Tiger Crazy posted:

I have no idea how to predict what we're going to do this season. We're just as much likely to be in the title race again as we are to have another season of sitting mid-table and being completely dysfunctional, because of failing to bed in all the attackers we've signed in the last 18 months and our existing squad struggling to figure out the new system. It all comes down to whether MacAllister can fill in the Wijnaldum-shaped hole we should have filled 2 years ago, whether Jones and Elliot can finally establish themselves as consistent starters, and whether our new forwards can figure out Klopp's pressing system so as to avoid having our back line deal with a dozen counter-attacks every game. Also whether we can actually enter the season with a recognised and functional DM to help screen the defence when everything I've just mentioned inevitably fails.

Signing Caiceido would be nice. If we get him and everything above works out then I'd be a lot more confident in the season ahead. By September I'm just as likely to be in full Boom mode as I am to be in full Bust mode, depending on how the rest of this month goes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

better than Trent playing right back and you not having a right back

:hmmyes:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Xabi posted:

Liverpool will finish first or second TBF.

All games on the final match day of the season start at the same time and it really depends on how much injury time they get so I don’t think you can make a bold prediction like this quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
football zone is open again