Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Starbucks posted:

I am of the age where I was in the last year of secondary school when Man United won the league, and given Arsenal (like this year) blew the league I got a fair amount of ribbing and then boasting from Man United Fans about the treble and them being the best team in the world and the best way of summarising it is: acting like complete cunts.

I have had some schadenfreude this last week with Man United fans being bitter about it, and I am happy to continue to enjoy the pain and suffering until the league starts up in August.

Happy to oblige

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
this the thread to point out scott carson has more champions league medals than david de gea?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Can we make a complete list of all the players who have more CL medals than De Gea?

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

lol Grealish is a menace

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining the global hangover shockwave that will affect everyone on earth when grealish sobers up

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

the sex ghost posted:

Imagining the global hangover shockwave that will affect everyone on earth when grealish sobers up

the turkey has been fed

the anti thanksgiving

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A (much) less interesting Freddie Flintoff

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

this the thread to point out scott carson has more champions league medals than david de gea?

And that he got them a record-tying 18 years apart, apparently?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The United treble gave me PTSD and more. Luckily this is easy to shrug off.

Having said that, I hope the cheating frauds are getting their punishment soon enough (they won't).

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Xabi posted:

The United treble gave me PTSD and more. Luckily this is easy to shrug off.

Having said that, I hope the cheating frauds are getting their punishment soon enough (they won't).

Relishing the thought of the look on their faces when they get the official notice of their small fine and request not to do it again

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Most Man Utd fans I talk to aren't particularly bothered by City winning anything, since City aren't real. Liverpool or Arsenal winning the treble would be a loving disaster, though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Sounds like cope op

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Relishing the thought of the look on their faces when they get the official notice of their small fine and request not to do it again

We only needed to do it once (115 times) anyway, with our academy now we're making shitloads of cash off player sales and the commercial side has grown enough to not be sus

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Are united fans genuinely happier with their ownership situation though? Parasitic Americans leeching money out of the club and not making long-overdue infrastructure investments that leads to them falling badly behind?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are united fans genuinely happier with their ownership situation though? Parasitic Americans leeching money out of the club and not making long-overdue infrastructure investments that leads to them falling badly behind?

No, but what does that have to do with financial doping?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

harperdc posted:

And that he got them a record-tying 18 years apart, apparently?

And he got them both for being an unused sub on the bench. Living the dream.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Neither situations are particularly delightful, but a capitalist leech seems easier to tolerate from a sporting standpoint than a sportswashing mega-cheat?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
tbf i've seen plenty of utd fans gagging for the qatari moneyhose

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Twitter is full of them yea. Polls on places like r/reddevils, The Athletic or the fanzine United We Stand are overwhelmingly the other way.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Isn't part of that because they want to buy the club outright, get rid of the debt and remove the glazers entirely while if ratcliffe buys them they still hang around in some capacity? Granted it's probably mostly the infinite money

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ratcliffe has offered to buy all the glazer shares (69%) or full control of the club (50.1%). Either solution would remove any and all influence from glazers, but the latter would let the actual man utd fan among them (Joel, Avram) sit around in director boxes and then earn an even fatter, forced buyout down the line. The people who are hooting and hollering about qatar wants to buy mbappe for a billion and think real life is a game of FM.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if the qarai guy does buy them i hope he runs the club as well as PSG

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

if the qarai guy does buy them i hope he runs the club as well as PSG

8 league titles in the last 10 seasons, me too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

TheRat posted:

Neither situations are particularly delightful, but a capitalist leech seems easier to tolerate from a sporting standpoint than a sportswashing mega-cheat?

If you live in the east side of Manchester the area has seen large investment so there are quantifiable benefits as a result of the investment rather than the net detrimental effects of glazer ownership. The cost of the sportswashing is harder to quantify obviously.

Regarding the mega-cheating/financial doping/whatever you want to call it, obviously we only got to where we are thanks to huge investment but the creation and timing of FFP and the questions about whether we jumped through whatever newly created legal hoops seem arbitrary to most City fans - if FFP had existed before, no chance Chelsea would have been able to do what they did.

The clubs who were lucky enough to be at the top when the Premier League was formed and the Champions' League rebranded were able to capitalise on being in the right place at the right time to solidify their positions through the hugely increased annual financial windfalls that created a vicious circle that made it practically impossible for other teams to break into without the kind of investment Abramovich or Abu Dhabi were able to provide.

So yeah it sucks but money had been loving football for a long time before we got involved.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

The clubs who were lucky enough to be at the top when the Premier League was formed and the Champions' League rebranded were able to capitalise on being in the right place at the right time to solidify their positions through the hugely increased annual financial windfalls

So you're saying being so poo poo you were in the old 3rd division was just being unlucky?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

man united fans who want to be bought by the qataris have something wrong in the head

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Basically, everyone except fans of Bayern and a couple of other teams that are fan owned and not run in an incredibly corrupt way should quietly feel ashamed of the people who own and/or run their club.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

TheRat posted:

Most Man Utd fans I talk to aren't particularly bothered by City winning anything, since City aren't real.

This is true. It's easy to just kind of shrug and ignore whatever they do because of the enormous asterisk that will never stop following them around.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I personally do not recognise any league title won after 1992 and the perfidious invention of the premier league and consider Leeds United to still be champions of England

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I personally do not recognise any league title won after 1992 and the perfidious invention of the premier league and consider Leeds United to still be champions of England

Is that why they keep demanding to play in the Championship?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

So you're saying being so poo poo you were in the old 3rd division was just being unlucky?

No that was being poo poo. Being at the top at the same time as the money started exponentially increasing was lucky. If Premier League and Champions League money started in the 70s or the 80s the footballing landscape would have looked extremely different and the ‘big 4’ or whatever could have easily had Ipswich or Villa or Forest or Everton in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

No that was being poo poo. Being at the top at the same time as the money started exponentially increasing was lucky. If Premier League and Champions League money started in the 70s or the 80s the footballing landscape would have looked extremely different and the ‘big 4’ or whatever could have easily had Ipswich or Villa or Forest or Everton in.

So still never City, understood.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

This is true. It's easy to just kind of shrug and ignore whatever they do because of the enormous asterisk that will never stop following them around.

Real got artificially bankrolled by Franco and the Spanish state. Various big Italian clubs have been absolutely rife with corruption and dodgy dealings. Barca pay refs off and along with Real have a stranglehold on TV money from their league that funnels most of the money their direction. Very few clubs are ‘clean’. If FFP regulations had been there from the start and applied consistently and universally and we’d run afoul of them then fair enough, asterisk away.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Real got artificially bankrolled by Franco and the Spanish state. Various big Italian clubs have been absolutely rife with corruption and dodgy dealings. Barca pay refs off and along with Real have a stranglehold on TV money from their league that funnels most of the money their direction. Very few clubs are ‘clean’. If FFP regulations had been there from the start and applied consistently and universally and we’d run afoul of them then fair enough, asterisk away.

Did you make this tifo?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Basically, everyone except fans of Bayern and a couple of other teams that are fan owned and not run in an incredibly corrupt way should quietly feel ashamed of the people who own and/or run their club.

Bayern are cool as long as you don't look at the history of their club crest from 1938 to 1945

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

vyelkin posted:

Bayern are cool as long as you don't look at the history of their club crest from 1938 to 1945

Or any of the teams from that period tbh.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shrapnig posted:

The fact that PSG has not won 10/10 is kind of a failure imo

As well as crashing out in Europe every year

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

PSG is run pretty poorly I thought, just the sheer amount of money is enough to roll over ligue 1 most of the time

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sounds like cope op

It is!

As a Liverpool fan, I don't like that City has won a treble, but I have to accept that they were good enough to do it.

City's financial cheating is still cheating but expecting the Premier League or any other sporting authority to punish City or any other sufficiently resourced club is a pipe dream and I'm not going to sink too much emotional energy into that hope. It's like hoping the likes of Madrid and Barca get their karmic comeuppance, but I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Butterfly Valley posted:

if that was true then Blackburn Rovers would still be playing in the Champions League and not a series of chicken-related gifs

there are definitely 'big' clubs that have fallen by the wayside, but United, Liverpool and Arsenal didn't just accidentally fall through a hedge in 1992 and come out the other side with millions of pounds, they've been the biggest clubs in English football for decades

but yes, city aren't real, and anyone who wants united to be owned by saudi or qatar or jean-baptiste emanuel zorg should be put in a work camp