Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eric Cantonese posted:

It is!

As a Liverpool fan, I don't like that City has won a treble, but I have to accept that they were good enough to do it.

City's financial cheating is still cheating but expecting the Premier League or any other sporting authority to punish City or any other sufficiently resourced club is a pipe dream and I'm not going to sink too much emotional energy into that hope. It's like hoping the likes of Madrid and Barca get their karmic comeuppance, but I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

Aren't Barca just going to run out of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Thanks Ants posted:

Aren't Barca just going to run out of money

They just won La Liga!

The world seems prepared to bail them out in one way or another. Too many fans love them so we’ll never see a well-deserved implosion for them.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
supposedly spotify will start turning turning a profit any year now

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

if that was true then Blackburn Rovers would still be playing in the Champions League and not a series of chicken-related gifs

there are definitely 'big' clubs that have fallen by the wayside, but United, Liverpool and Arsenal didn't just accidentally fall through a hedge in 1992 and come out the other side with millions of pounds, they've been the biggest clubs in English football for decades

I mean Blackburn prove the point, even back then they had to be pumped full of millions by Jack Walker to finance the spending spree that got them the title. Of course there were other factors at play - United getting an all time great manager coinciding with a freakish glut of young academy talent coming good at the same time really allowed them to consolidate their place at the top for the best part of two decades.

But remove the Premier League and CL money and the league would have looked a lot more competitive in the 90s and 2000s than it did. The only teams able to compete with United for the title once they got the gravy train running were Blackburn, City and Chelsea, all through large outside investment, and Arsenal who were already there or thereabouts at the top table, and had an all-time great manager of their own.

When you compare that to Liverpool's run of 10 titles in the 70s and 80s, there were 6 different teams still able to compete and also win titles during that era - Leeds, Everton, Forest, Arsenal, Derby and Villa.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I'm the guy thinking that a club that had enough financial and negotiating swagger in the 30s to get spurs relegated because it was for the good of football randomly became a powerhouse in the 90s due to sky sports favoritism.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Basically I understand if people don't like City for what we represent, the sportswashing by countries with awful human rights records, but I don't understand people who act like their piles of millions from Indonesian noodle sponsorships or shirt sales in countries that only started watching their club because they were doing well at the time the league was aggressively enriching itself through juicy foreign TV contracts are morally superior or more in the spirit of the game. It would be great if we could go back to a truly level playing field but it hasn't been that way for decades.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just hate every football club especially the one I support, it's easier that way

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I just hate every football club especially the one I support, it's easier that way

Preach

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the point is that if being good in 1994 gave you premier league money for life and city are just skipping some steps, then blackburn would still be good and not bad

when the money hose went away then the big bald men stopped catching the balls

the money hose will go away for city too

also the bald men

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the point is that if being good in 1994 gave you premier league money for life and city are just skipping some steps, then blackburn would still be good and not bad

And leeds. And newcastle. And nottingham forest.

E: Hell, QPR and Wimbledon finished top10 in 94/95

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

City have such a storied history that Robinho thought he was signing for United until someone handed him a blue shirt.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You still have to spend the money well and have good management, case in point United for the last 10 years

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

You still have to spend the money well and have good management, case in point United for the last 10 years

When you're making up the numbers the money is easy to manage m9

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

You don't have to if there is effectively no end to the money, you just keep spending it until you manage to get the right 21 people. You just hire a bald fraud who made Bayern worse and set money on fire.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

How many of the 115 strikes are for paying the management team under the table?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

TheRat posted:

How many of the 115 strikes are for paying the management team under the table?

We know they managed to avoid a strike by failing to pay didn't dogshit his bung so who can really say if it's good or bad

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

cagliostr0 posted:

You don't have to if there is effectively no end to the money, you just keep spending it until you manage to get the right 21 people. You just hire a bald fraud who made Bayern worse and set money on fire.

that's unfair

there was also a lot of cheating and crimes involved

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

The charges are predominantly about extra payments to managers, padding players wages etc that were beyond what we were earning revenue wise, they're not 'City were printing money to buy and sell absolutely everyone until they hit on a winning formula'. That we've spent the (legal or otherwise) money well should be self evident, especially in light of the various other clown car billionaire teams currently around us.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
multiple things can be true:

- there was already a gaping financial disparity between the top 4 and the rest of the PL around the time of the city takeover
- they were and still are bastards
- man city are a very well run club which made good use of their insane cash injections from their benefactors
- who are especially bastards
- all of the above clubs' (and now newcastle) financial assets should be frozen until spurs finally win the league with a 53 year old harry kane who has been chained to a railing and somehow still creates the most goals+assists for us

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

multiple things can be true:

- there was already a gaping financial disparity between the top 4 and the rest of the PL around the time of the city takeover
- they were and still are bastards
- man city are a very well run club which made good use of their insane cash injections from their benefactors
- who are especially bastards
- all of the above clubs' (and now newcastle) financial assets should be frozen until spurs finally win the league with a 53 year old harry kane who has been chained to a railing and somehow still creates the most goals+assists for us

It would be a lot easier for everyone if Spurs just went out of business instead.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Shrapnig posted:

It would be a lot easier for everyone if Spurs just went out of business instead.

can't hear you over the sound of our extremely profitable go-kart track

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Anyway, Man United have been illegally tapping up players at least since the 50s when my granddad worked as a driver/chauffeur and once had a job that involved driving Matt Busby to a prospective signing's family house to bung his mum a brand new dishwasher and fridge to seal the deal. Where was FFP then???

(I think it was Tommy Taylor iirc)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Anyway, Man United have been illegally tapping up players at least since the 50s when my granddad worked as a driver/chauffeur and once had a job that involved driving Matt Busby to a prospective signing's family house to bung his mum a brand new dishwasher and fridge to seal the deal. Where was FFP then???

(I think it was Tommy Taylor iirc)

Keep digging that hole bb

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Keep digging that hole bb

That was a light hearted anecdote meant to bring a close to the debate by making us all lol at the more quaint and innocent times of past, bb

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

That was a light hearted anecdote meant to bring a close to the debate by making us all lol at the more quaint and innocent times of past, bb

Shame it was you that posted it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Brian Clough (fraud, permaban if he posts here) would have hated ffp

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Shame it was you that posted it

This seems unnecessarily mean

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

This seems unnecessarily mean

You don't get to decide when the "debate" ends, hope that helps.

The only reason your trumped up yo-yo club is in this position is because some sheik saw "Manchester" and thought, "hey, next best thing, right?"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

The only reason your trumped up yo-yo club is in this position is because some sheik saw "Manchester" and thought, "hey, next best thing, right?"

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sounds like cope op

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sir, this is the Premier League thread.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

The charges are predominantly about extra payments to managers, padding players wages etc that were beyond what we were earning revenue wise, they're not 'City were printing money to buy and sell absolutely everyone until they hit on a winning formula'. That we've spent the (legal or otherwise) money well should be self evident, especially in light of the various other clown car billionaire teams currently around us.

I do feel that the secret wage payments probably helped them sign and retain good players though. Does it count as just being good at spending money well when you're secretly spending way more money on wages than is allowed, presumably because following the rules would mean not being able to sign all the players you want?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Well this turned weird.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We all love Newcastle United itt

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sounds like cope op

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Arsenal kick rear end and will sign rice and caicedo and idk mbappe I guess, then win the premier league with 114 points next year

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Shrapnig posted:

Lol and now it's even better than the other one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

sourdough posted:

Arsenal kick rear end and will sign rice and caicedo and idk mbappe I guess, then win the premier league with 114 points next year

:jackbud:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
richarlison is going to score 25 goals next season

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

richarlison is going to score 25 goals next season

Good idea for next year's forum challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Lmao I was ending the conversation so I could make myself dinner you dork but please continue with your weak owns that show you definitely aren't mad