Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Framboise is the expert in the Magic thread on understanding the nuances and the situation. I don't know anything about the guy who died. Framboise asked to issue a longer probe and I said sure, and let him write the reason. Then I pinged admins to approve the probation. Yes, that meant it took a little longer to go through: so what? It's not like Toshimo was still in the thread doing something that had to be immediately stopped.
I think people are asking why you involved admins instead of just putting through a 24 hour probe yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I can't approve a probation filed by an IK. Mods don't have any power in the queue.
If that's the result of having someone who knows the context queue up the actual probe then yeah that all makes sense. But you should really play a better system sorry, instinct.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I think what we do need to do is be more free with 3-day and week probations (everything 3+ requires admin approval), but like, we'll all need to be ready for the backlash from the first posters to catch 3+ day probes for being a bit rude, or emptyquoting someone to suggest without saying so that they're ridiculous, or expressing a sort of snide incredulity that they would think such-and-such a magic the gathering card was playable.
Yes, if someone gets three days tomorrow that would have been a sixer yesterday you're going to get pushback. But this seems to be exactly what ramping probations are good for. Get a probe in the MtG thread for sixer-worthy behaviour - sixer. Continue the same behaviour in the same thread - 24 hours, then 72, then threadban, then big probes or bans if they don't respect the threadban. If anyone gets shirty about a 3 day ban they'll have have had plenty of warning.

Obviously have a bit of common sense with date checking; if someone's gets a 24 and then has a year of fun, chill posting before having a real bad day then give them a reminder sixer or 24 instead of jumping straight to 72. And if someone starts calling in death threats against posters then "Hmm well first offense sixer" is not appropriate. But we're a forum full of nerds who read rulebooks for a hobby, we can absolutely understand the concept of compounding penalties.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 11, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey if anyone's interested, this is the exchange all the heist hullabaloo is about :

Xiahou Dun posted:

No. It's pretty emphatic that the game can't live up to the tone of the film, which would lead to possible new players being disappointed.

Like how there's a heist in the movie, which is just straight up a thing that D&D rules can't do, so you'd need to basically add in half of Blades in the Dark to get that kind of play.

Arivia posted:

“D&D can’t do heists” is something you should have told WotC before their new adventure book of just heists. I think you mean “D&D can’t do heists well,” not that it’s completely unable to do them.

e:

dwarf74 posted:

I'd personally like it if the thread stopped dogpiling on Arivia. Please move on. It has gone on long enough. No apologies will be forthcoming, and she has indicated she's done with the sub.

I'd like to consider this particular topic closed and move on, except as it relates to moderation in general rather than one poster or incident in specific.
If this counts as dogpiling let me know and I'll get rid of it. I have an absolute banger of an effortpost on page 343 though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ilmucche posted:

I think you've caught both sides of the coin here. If someone makes a good post people will point and go "hey that's a good post", but it doesn't excuse the 5% of blisteringly aggressive posts that stick with people and drive them away.

Hitting the buttons for sixers more seems to be the solution because it can quash the terrible posting but still encourage the good posts.
If someone has multiple pages of sixers then not really, no. Once you get enough of them it's just seen as the cost of being right/funny/a cool poster that sometimes you get dinged for being too right/funny/cool by people who can't handle how right/funny/cool you are. A sixer isn't actually punishing because it is quite easy to go 6 hours in a row not posting, especially if you spend that 6 hours having a fun bitch-in about how the square-rear end mods just can't handle how right/funny/cool you are while your posting pals slam SAD with complaint threads.

If you want the good posts but not the bad posts then bake ramps into the rules. "Is this post sufficiently right/funny/cool enough to risk the sixer" is a different mental calculus to "Is this post sufficiently right/funny/cool enough to risk a third strike week of no posting".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

The one reason I could see for this is to make it easier for mods to see at a glance which probations are for someone being an rear end in a top hat and which are to be disregarded.
I just spotted two people rapidly de-escalate a misunderstanding instead of going Full Posting Enemies and it made me semi-seriously wish there was like an un-sixer for being notably un-lovely.

No I don't mean a points system to buy off later probes this of all forums knows how points buy with flaws ends up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

whydirt posted:

When I hit level 8, I'm picking up a class feature that scales according to the number of probes on my rap sheet. It's from a villain NPC class, but I'm taking it because my character concept is dark and tragic.
If you splash into redditor at 6 you can hit the prereqs a level earlier

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

pff you only have four probations, and one of them is 16 years ago, are you really going to get utility out of that class feature anyway? Sure your backstory is all dark and tragic but it looks like you keep making lawful good choices except for when you took one level of rogue in 2020 (and your worst offense was being snarky to a PC who uncloaked and got banished to the nine hells).
Part of the problem is it's one of those mother may I/powered by RP classes. It runs off probes and bans but probes and bans are entirely at DM discretion.

You're the DM btw.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Traditional Games: dare you enter our magical realm?

someone had to say it. It's... traditional :cool:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Traditional Games: desperately attempting to capitalise on the success of Baldurs Gate 3

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Traditional Games: like if your Steam backlog took shelf space

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

whydirt posted:

Trad Games: You wouldn’t download a game, would you?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon-Lime posted:

We're not a Video Games subforum so we shouldn't have a tagline that references video games. :colbert:
Games: ^^^call these guys Video Games we were here first

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*sending out professionally bound printouts of FATAL*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kurieg posted:

Roll 6d1000 and consult the table on page 432 to find out.
Now turn to page 512 to roll for adhesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
...what on earth did you post???