Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought you guys should hear from a pro-AI for personal use guy who thinks that tool-assisted/generated art should be restricted to a thread and discussion of image/text generation should be restricted to a thread. My general thinking is this:

1) This is a topic that is as contentious as anything I've seen. It simply cannot be discussed in a civil manner. In CineD they did a Containment Zone thread for a specific director and it really did work out well. Eventually everyone had some distance from the subject and things evolve and the people who wanted to actually discuss stuff instead of being berated had somewhere to go. There's no longer a containment zone thread and it's fine.

2) There really is a lot of low-grade AI poo poo and people discover these tools and post absolute rot, Babby's First AI Image, ChatGPT Brain Droppings #122949837, nobody cares.

3) Whatever decision is made today can be re-evaluated in the future. I simply cannot see this fever pitch of emotion sustaining itself in the face of reality for 5 years. And hey, it's possible that legal decisions might guide moderation...if AI is banned/restricted, then it's pretty obvious what the mods need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think that if y'all keep talking in this patronizing way for five years, then it might well manage it. I think a lot of folks might be willing to be slightly more civil about the topic if, once again, we didn't get the scornful, crypto-bro adjacent mutterings about "luddites!" and "in a few years everything will change! we'll disrupt the art industry!"

I'm not patronizing you at all. I don't think you're a luddite, I think you're self-interested. About 15 years ago the Internet granted a whole bunch of artists a revenue stream and now it's going to pair it down for a lot of them just as quickly. It does, in fact, suck.