Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

dwarf74 posted:

If we could all keep this topical for mod feedback, instead of hashing out personal grudges against people who aren't mods or IKs, that would be great.

This is a trad games forum. The stakes for most of us are low. Mods should, imo, feel totally free to tone police the gently caress out of the forum, because most of these arguments are about petty nerd poo poo.

Tone policing is great right up until it isn't. Then it really isn't.

The stakes of hobby nerdery are incredibly low. yes. Outside of stuff like people being objectively misled when it comes to health & safety around materials, or spending money on sometimes expensive items. But the passion is usually high by simple virtue of it being about hobbies. People care a lot about their pet interest, hopefully healthily, but often unhealthily. That's kind of the default motivation that gets you posting somewhere like TG.

If someone is trying to talk about their hobby in a hobby community then they are always going to react poorly to what they perceive as toxic participants. Whether that expresses itself as the person being confrontational/insulting/impatient in their responses or giving up and loving off out of the community, it's still a symptom of an issue that isn't going to be fixed by tone policing. Because a problem in a lot of hobby spaces, and historically TG, is that people who are actively and relentlessly negative towards the current status quo of their interest can skate by every day of the week because they don't necessarily need to kick up a fuss. They just need to say a variation of "that's bad" over and over whenever someone expresses enthusiasm about or curiosity in the target of their malcontent.

If you're tone policing then those people need to be spotted and discouraged just as heavily as the people who more demonstrably react to them. But that, historically, does not tend to happen because they aren't generating reports and it's a lot less visible unless you are regularly present to see it. And even then, are you going to act on someone for saying they don't like something? The person pushing back or losing their rag is always going to be more visible and easier to blame. The people who just give up and leave are invisible. So you get an insular hobby community of grogs where negativity is pervasive, and that's not healthy or sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There are probably also people left over from the interregnum who never learned reporting could achieve anything. I'm certain a lot of the aggressive posting from a few years ago was learnt when there was no active moderation and the only way to get someone to go away if they sucked, or to deal with trolling, was to relentlessly shout them down.
It may not be like that any more, but if people from that period don't think reporting works then it would be unsurprising to see them fall back on that.

That said, the painting thread was like a church in Highlander back then, so no reports there makes sense.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The former.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The most productive probation I can remember getting was a sixer from The Saddest Rhino last Christmas. There was a lot of intense frustration with moderation in general at that time because of the QCS closure and Boxing Day Massacre stuff, and I was not posting placidly. The punishment was basically "I know why you're upset, but what you're saying isn't helpful, and I disagree with you."
It encompassed an acknowledgement of my feelings, explained why they could not let what I said pass, and also made clear that they disagreed with me. It was sincere, concise and reasonable. I have a lot of time for both Rhino and that sort of moderation because in two sentences the line was drawn, I was corrected, and I still felt treated like a person Maybe this sounds dumb, but I remember that they treated me that way and respect their authority for it.

To an extent I don't think duration matters anywhere near as much as delivery, sincerity, and accuracy when conveying what you are trying to intervene in. Harshness is generally counter-productive, as is being too laissez-faire. Sincerity, respect, and clarity will always get better results, in my opinion, even if you're just doing a sixer.

I've not moderated a community the size of any on SA though so I could also just be talking out of my arse. People do seem to disproportionately get the arseache over sixers.