Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I just wanted to add something to the discussion about moderation philosophy, reporting and the use of sixers: I think a lot of the reluctance to take action against problem posters is a holdover attitude from the pre-Jeffrey of YOSPOS era of the forums, when mods and admins throwing out bans arbitrarily and often was the norm. I think this has not just an effect on how the current mods approach the forums (Most of the active mods on here were active posters back in those days, so I wouldn't be surprised if their approach to moderation is at least subconsciously informed by the days when people could and would be banned at any moment) I think it also affects how some users approach the mods. As a poster who's been on these forums for a while, but doesn't post all that often or broadly across the forums, I find myself often reluctant to actually report problem posts because of my own memories of how moderation used to work back in the day where if you got on a mod's bad side they could just kick you off the site. I think something that some of us need to accept is that those days are over, the atmosphere of the forums is much different now and that action can be taken against problem posters without falling back into the Dirty Harry era of moderation.

At the end of the day, 6ers are not a big deal, and freely throwing them out as a warning to a poster who's getting a bit too heated in a discussion sends a message without being too harsh.

One thing that I will say, at the risk of sounding like a sycophant, is that I have always gotten the impression that the current moderation team approaches their role and the posters on this forum in good faith, which I think is very important.

HKR posted:

your forums dot something awful dot com rap sheet isn't going to be used to deny you housing or job opportunities so I'm not sure why anyone would care that there are sixers on it. Frankly a clean rap sheet is far more suspicious.

Let's also not forget that the code this forum runs on is ancient and held together with duct tape and collective will. Trying to change it to add another class of sixer that doesn't stay on a rap sheet is liable to cause the entire thing to fall apart or turn the population of another sub-forum into chickens during the full moon.

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone please welcome Dwarf74 to full mod-hood! He's been operating as an IK across several threads for a long time now and doing a great job. Having a third mod on hand for TG should help us with coverage, vacations, etc. too.

Congratularations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Could we devise some kind of optional point-buy system for probations? For those of us who prefer to already have probation concept in mind beforehand?