Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

May I offer a rephrase and see if that jives with your intention? “AI posts are low effort, and also must be in the AI thread.”

English adjectives have multiple readings based on scope that are just inherently ambiguous sometimes. I think you might have meant “low-effort” at a sort of different “height”.

Also sorry for getting salty on the weekend when you were already busy. That was lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s a bad probe but mostly because Fuzz shouldn’t have gotten a chance to make that post because they should have copped way more than 24 hours for comparing not liking AI to the Holocaust.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O poo poo.

Dwarf has the death touch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

What is even the point of this thread? Every time feedback is given on moderation it seems the response is just "sorry we're not going to do anything different because that would involve actual effort."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Man, either the threads I IK are too mellow, or I'm just not reading the right threads.

Or maybe people are all quaking in fear of me.

Idk.

No one crosses a dwarf.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Arivia posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable for mods/IKs to recognize who's got subject matter expertise (in this case it was myself and thread ik PeterWeller, who agreed with me) versus Rutibex. And if it was just going "no I like this book better than that book" it wouldn't be nearly as meaningful. The problem was that Rutibex was making incredibly bad, useless to downright harmful/confusing recommendations for books for people to buy from DTRPG - so he was telling them to waste their gaming money on poo poo that wouldn't help them at all. (And if I remember correctly it wasn't just FR stuff, it was also just D&D books in general.)

There are plenty of other places on the forums where yes, people do ask for expert suggestions about books to get (SAL or politics threads) or products in general. It isn't unreasonable for there to be an objectively right answer, and yes, if someone was carpetbombing say the SH/SC computer building thread with dogshit advice I would expect they'd get probed through threadbanned for wasting other people's money. (Oh, and Rutibex ALREADY had a history of giving such dogshit advice he was threadbanned from the Path of Exile thread because people THERE had to devote so much time to shouting him down and telling new players not to listen to his bullshit.)

edit: in case it isn't clear, I think the bar is much higher because in the case of this interaction with Rutibex it was a third party asking "what books should I buy to add to my D&D game." Making book recommendations (ie: I liked this book and here's why) is different from "I'm here to provide you an expert answer as someone who's trying to help you spend money."

I ate a probe because you kept arguing D&D totally supports running investigative mystery games. A game that is going to cost north of a hundred dollars and has no support besides not actively stopping you and has an entire sub-sub-system (divination magic) that obviates mysteries. In a conversation about games with actual mechanics for running mysteries.

I’m not bringing this up because it was necessarily a bad probe. I’m very easy to bait into posting angry and that’s my own problem.

But what exactly is the substantive difference between Rutibex’s bad lore advice vs. your bad system advice. Where’s this easy line you’re trying to draw?

(Outside of Rutibex being a bigot and transphobe. gently caress that guy and I’m very glad he’s gone. I think we have ample agreement on that point.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Arivia posted:

Us having a system discussion doesn’t cost me, you, or anyone else money. That’s the very easy line, imo.

Is D&D free now? You cut out the part about price from that post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Something about tweaking meeples.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

But what about Secret Krampus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mostly just did that as a seasonal joke, but I kind of love the idea of people exchanging bizarre/questionable nerd paraphernalia, as a shadowy counterpoint to Secret Santa.

I probably have some random rear end nonsense from back when TSR was thing I’d be happy to send someone.