Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Vtubers as D&D characters sounds cute, although I guess it’s tainted by association with that terrible ADTRW thread, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Alright. I'm here to talk about the implied "no low-effort AI chat outside the AI thread" rule. Specially, how it interacts with this recent probation, which I'm going to repost in its entirety below.

My point is that this is not a low-effort AI joke, it's a low-effort current events joke which happens to involve AI. It's Fuzz going "this involves god and the machine, that's like the God Machine, ha ha". You need to make multiple big leaps in logic to reach any of the aspects of AI that TG has been arguing about for the past week. It is, quite frankly, orthogonal to any issue these rules are built for.

What I'm saying is, if this post is going to probation-worthy outside of the period immediately after the rules change when everyone is excessively worried about enforcing them, just make the rule "do not mention real AI at all in TG outside the designated thread" and save everyone some time.

Yeah this looks like a bad probe. It’s perfectly relevant to the Chronicles of Darkness, Fuzz is pointing out real world news that makes an excellent hook for a game. (He’s referencing the God-Machine, the Gnostic uncaring computer that runs all of existence.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

He's referencing it but not doing much else with it

The point is that it’s an utterly normal post to be making. Like if you posted about Elon Musk’s computer brain implants thing in a cyberpunk thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
why would people be calling you "dorks" is midjourney especially good at hallucinating whale penises or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

O poo poo.

Dwarf has the death touch.

Don't block him unless you have indestructible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah when I was an IK in the Friday Forum on Friday, I could have applied for a permaban but I'm pretty sure joke forum IKs don't get those approved. And I only wanted to sixer myself anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

Oh also 1 day bans don't require admin approval, any mod can hand them out, so are you lying or just bad at your job?

Framboise is an IK, not a mod. IKs can do 6, maybe 12, without admin permission, but not one day.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

aw frig aw dang it posted:

It's cargo-cult modding. They heard you're supposed to have a feedback thread so they got one. Problem solved.

Nonsense. If this was true, Debate & Discussion would have one more frequently than every second blue moon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I distinctly remember Toshimo being racist to toasters in at least one forums BSG game we were both in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like the device that toasts bread?

It's a joke. Toaster (yes, like the bread heater) was used as a perjorative for the evil robots (the Cylons) in the series, probably because the Cylons in the 1980s version actually kinda looked like toasters. Toshimo may have said "drat those toasters" but we all did, and it was the equivalent of cursing out elves for being snooty in a D&D campaign.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

The problem I think is that a lot of the hostile posts in TG don't individually rise to the level of even a sixer, they just cumulatively drive so much air out of the room and make discussion suck for people who aren't on the same "side" as the people being hostile. So reporting an individual post gets that post seen and nothing else happens.

Conversely, I've also had problems where the moderation wasn't strict enough about objectively bad opinions that could actually hurt the play experience of others. Rutibex was a really big problem here, I have probes for shouting him down and being "aggro" when the mods weren't doing poo poo to shut him up when he was leading people to waste money/do stuff that was completely wrong in every sense for the games he talked about. Opinions are one thing but I wish the mods were a bit more willing to lay down the law about "hey, this person is genuinely loving stupid and has been banned from many other goon spaces for being stupid and really does need shouting down."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

On the other hand, people not agreeing with your forgotten realms takes are not objectively bad, so I'm fine with the mod team telling people to chill out.

I don’t disagree but that’s also not what we’re talking about.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The whole idea of "well, aggroposting should be allowed if you're Correct" is exactly why this poo poo happens in the first place.

The point I was trying to make is that if moderation was stiffer, you wouldn’t need to back up a correct opinion with aggroposting. And at the time I was doing it, Jeffrey was explicitly saying that’s how posters should treat each other on the forums.

dwarf74 posted:

Really? I think she has vastly improved her posting and reduced her online aggro levels over the last few years.

But again, maybe I'm just in the kinder, gentler threads.

And thank you, I have been trying.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 12, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Thinking that people deserve probes for making "bad" book recommendations is deranged, and saying "I wouldn't have to aggro post if the mods just enforced having good opinions" is even moreso.

Like, seriously think about it for a moment. You're saying that mods need to:
1. Know enough about forgotten realms to even understand the argument
2. Know enough about both sets of books to understand which argument is "correct"
3. Still make a value judgement about what is "merely controversial" and what is "objectively wrong" and accept the heat from people who disagree.

Surely you realize that is not a remotely reasonable ask of mods or even an IK, right?

I don't think it's unreasonable for mods/IKs to recognize who's got subject matter expertise (in this case it was myself and thread ik PeterWeller, who agreed with me) versus Rutibex. And if it was just going "no I like this book better than that book" it wouldn't be nearly as meaningful. The problem was that Rutibex was making incredibly bad, useless to downright harmful/confusing recommendations for books for people to buy from DTRPG - so he was telling them to waste their gaming money on poo poo that wouldn't help them at all. (And if I remember correctly it wasn't just FR stuff, it was also just D&D books in general.)

There are plenty of other places on the forums where yes, people do ask for expert suggestions about books to get (SAL or politics threads) or products in general. It isn't unreasonable for there to be an objectively right answer, and yes, if someone was carpetbombing say the SH/SC computer building thread with dogshit advice I would expect they'd get probed through threadbanned for wasting other people's money. (Oh, and Rutibex ALREADY had a history of giving such dogshit advice he was threadbanned from the Path of Exile thread because people THERE had to devote so much time to shouting him down and telling new players not to listen to his bullshit.)

edit: in case it isn't clear, I think the bar is much higher because in the case of this interaction with Rutibex it was a third party asking "what books should I buy to add to my D&D game." Making book recommendations (ie: I liked this book and here's why) is different from "I'm here to provide you an expert answer as someone who's trying to help you spend money."

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 12, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

But what exactly is the substantive difference between Rutibex’s bad lore advice vs. your bad system advice. Where’s this easy line you’re trying to draw?

(Outside of Rutibex being a bigot and transphobe. gently caress that guy and I’m very glad he’s gone. I think we have ample agreement on that point.)

Us having a system discussion doesn’t cost me, you, or anyone else money. That’s the very easy line, imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is D&D free now? You cut out the part about price from that post.

No*, but I looked back at that entry in your rap sheet and it was us and others discussing the movie. It wasn’t someone going “hey I want to go buy an rpg to run a heist in” and I recommended 5e (which I think would be lovely).

The argument I had with Rutibex was specifically someone asking what books to buy then and there. You’re trying to recontextualize a general systems discussion we had as a product recommendation and that’s pretty disingenuous.

*well, there are the basic rules :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey dwarf74 here's some feedback: hitting a bunch of us with sixers for discussing the current issue (a lack of moderation in Trad Games and how it creates problems) using examples is lovely as gently caress. I'm not trying to poo poo on Rutibex in particular, I'm going "here's a problem I had with another poster where I felt moderation wasn't happening and I did 'aggro-posting' as a result, what do we do about that going forward." Thanks for not actually paying attention to the conversation and how it fit into the larger issue the thread overall is discussing. Like you gave me a sixer for a post responding to Xiahou Dun where I was explicitly taking his example and tying it back to the question I was posing to the staff overall. Which is obviously an important question, because everyone is still talking about it!

Leperflesh posted:

I think part of the reason Rutibex slid under the radar more than he should have is that he was generally pretty cheerful while saying asinine things, which is not the usual issue. He was also always polite and conciliatory via PMs. He copped a few probations but also had conversations with mods where we said "don't do that thing" and he'd be like "oh, I'm sorry, OK I won't do that!" which would last for a while.

Anyway if you want to amass examples of typical misbehavior in TG, I don't think Rutibex is a good one, he was a very unusual badposter with his own specific flavor of being a confident idiot.

Okay, but I was just using Rutibex as an example, not to attack him in particular. He's gone, I don't have a forums grudge to win or something. What do you want us to do when someone is being insistently bad or wrong about something to the detriment of other posters (financially or possibly in a way that could be unfun, if it's really bad game advice or something.) If you want the meanness to go down, there's got to be some way to finally say "hey, you're really fuckin wrong."

e:

Tarnop posted:

If you motherfuckers (goons collectively) get me to read two PMF threads in one day so help me god

don't, it's unfunny and not really interesting even if you do know poe. what you DO want to know is that his bad advice was recommending one terrible fuckin skill (hexblast) to everyone and insisting it was great even when his own play had it absolutely suck balls. then, the PoE update after he got banned, hexblast was finally good and everyone had a pleasant chuckle that he couldn't recommend it when it was actually worth it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 13, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

The past few posts between you two had veered well away from the topic at hand, and into rehashing the old argument. This was to stop it before it took over the thread, which in my judgment was where it was heading - particularly with the extra goon putting in their two cents on the same topic.

If the tg forum wants mods and IKs to hand down more quick 6ers, and wants us to make more judgment calls, this is what it looks like. I stand by it.

How do you want people to discuss past issues with moderation without providing examples and discussing them? You're seeing "old drama" and those affected don't get to participate because we're trying to engage in the basic building blocks of human communication. You're shutting down the actual discussion unilaterally.

Additionally, if we were "rehashing the old argument" Xiahou or I would have been actually been talking about how D&D works as a heist game which neither of us was doing. I, in fact, specifically kept posting to tie Xiahou's example back to the argument I was making about how product recommendations need to be stiffer. Wake up, come on! I'm trying to participate in good faith with you, the other mods, and other posters, and then I get dinged for it? This is why people get mad at sixers - not because not posting for six hours actually hurts, but because they often demonstrate a lack of understanding on moderation's part. Let people provide feedback and discuss the community in the thread for such things!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vando posted:

Whether you meant it that way or not, the way your posts were coming over were as attempts to win an argument rather than raise and resolve issues, at least from my perspective.

I can't do anything about someone misreading my tone. That's why I'm hoping dwarf74 and the other mods would actually look at the content.

I'm tired. I'm just so fuckin tired. I do actually care about this subforum, and I want it to do well, and I've been participating in this discussion in good faith and trying to be polite and then I get probed for trying to sort out the issue with another poster. That's loving dogshit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
We literally never discussed the system issue in question here. I don't know how much more plainly I can say it. Neither of us ever posted "D&D is good/bad for heist scenarios" in this thread. (The third person who stuck their nose in did, but that's not either of the two people having the conversation.)

So I guess I got a sixer because not only are people misreading my tone, but no one can actually be bothered to read the actual words I posted. gently caress!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think there is a point to be made that Jeffrey did say something to the effect of "If someone sucks in a general sense, but isn't terrible enough to prompt strong mod action, this website is the kind of place that's welcome to tell them to gently caress off until they do." I'm sure that's not exactly what he said but there was some sentiment expressed in that way. Someone like Rutibex, that everyone agrees was "hard to mod" seems like the kind of person you would direct that "gently caress off" energy at if no other action was being taken. Or where that behavior would crop up naturally even without that directive in mind.

But I think that only works in certain places here. The FYAD lite forums can push that, sure, or even a more caustic, silly place like GBS theoretically encourages that behavior. In a smaller/more sedate forum like TG, SH/SC, SAL, BFC, etc. that absolutely will make people's monocles pop out into their tea. Or it starts nestling into certain threads and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if that starts giving the thread a more "toxic" air than the place around it.

This is why I brought it up, to ask Leperflesh what should be done instead if Jeffrey's advice isn't holding here. But again, by participating in good faith and politely here, I've received a sixer and am now getting piled on by most of the thread. It's a horrible way to promote feedback about the forum.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Please show me where in my posts in this thread I was arguing how appropriate D&D was as a heist game. I am being downright gaslit at this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Xihau brought it up

and you responded with

This is that conversation.

Xiahou responded to me talking about my issue with Rutibex. I informed him as to why I felt the situation with Rutibex was different, explicitly trying to remain on-topic. I at no point responded to argue about the rules of D&D. So why do you think I was trying to restart that argument when I was specifically trying to clarify things with Xiahou and remain on topic instead of relitigating a past discussion? You’ve read an incredible amount into my post with literally no textual support.

What would you prefer? That I don’t try and explain my viewpoint about the on topic feedback I’m giving when other posters ask for clarification? Should I have just reported Xiahou and not responded? That’s not fair to him or treating other posters well, imo. And it also doesn’t match with standards of discussion at all in my experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HKR posted:

I know the current topic in the feedback thread about hostile posting isn't exactly indicative of the rest of TG, but this is a pretty good example of said hostile posting.

When I am being probated and told by multiple mods that I was justly probated for things that I did not post, it’s pretty fair to call that gaslighting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Dwarf74 can speak for himself but I think in this thread the probations were "you can't fight here, this is the war room." And I was, also, as an aside, trying to address Arivia's claimed point, and using the prior disagreement alluded to here, as an example.

No. You have just specifically said that “But the feedback thread is not the place to debate whether or not D&D is a good system for heists, and that's the actual argument that you and xiahou seemed to want to have, and dwarf74 was right to put a stop on that.”

So you posting as the forum moderator have defended dwarf74’s probations on those terms. You have explicitly said that I was probed for continuing that argument. You can’t dismiss that now because you can’t find proof for it. This is poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

It doesn't really matter much what the fight was about, but that's what I think the brewing fight was about. Originally, and being imported here. I brought up what the fight was about to use it as an example of mods - well, me, this is my take - not wanting to moderate for having opinions.

So you’re now justifying it on the basis you believe there was a fight. Are you just ignoring where I pointed out to you now how I was remaining on topic and responding in good faith to Xiahou’s question? Again, what do you want me to do if staying on topic and replying to other posters politely is now considered probation-worthy?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay. So can I get an apology for this bullshit you’ve put me through at least? I’m willing to leave it there if you/dwarf74 are willing to admit you misread me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Fine, I’ll move on out of the forum then. If I’m being gaslit and probed for things I didn’t post at all and nothing I can do in good faith is good enough for you, then there’s nothing I can do to remain a poster in good standing.

Thanks for the memories, y’all.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)