Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm unhappy that AI gets allowed outside of its containment zone, but hopefully the idea of "low effort" will be brutally policed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

ravenkult posted:

You offering to post AI supporter opinions in the thread anonymously as if they're some kind of vulnerable group that are in danger of some sort is probably the funniest poo poo to happen in TG in years.

To be fair to Leperflesh, if one of us wanted to anonymously post that AI supporters were dorks and weenies, they would have probably helped with that, too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

When I say this next paragraph, I need you to understand I am not saying this as someone who has gone on record against you. This is simply as a goon. I would say this to any mod who made similar arguments.

What do you think is 'unrealistic' about banning AI talk in TG? What law of reality hinders this course of action? It can't be the lack of consensus, because as far as I know, if you and AV wanted to, you could make that the rule anyway even if everyone didn't like it. You could set the example. By pulling the "better subforums aren't possible" line, it just sounds incredibly craven.

While I'm not Leperflesh, I think the imagined problem is that it's going to come up as a subject from time to time, likely because another dorkass company has to be shouted down after airing it as a way to gently caress over workers, and they're imagining a hard time policing when someone's being ghoulish enough to dunk on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think "don't say when you use AI" interacts very weirdly with the encouragement to credit the source when you post an image. Will it also be discouraged to ask people for a source if they don't label an image? What about if someone asks and the poster replies "I used AI"?

Then we call them dorks and weenies.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, okay, so it's a total containment thread, good. That's about the best that I hoped for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"hey cool law mind telling me how I can violate the spirit of it without violating the word of it"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

e to add: There's definitely AI content that isn't low-effort or low-content; which is perhaps part of the cause of the misread or misinterpretation happening here.

I think the disagreement is fundamentally about whether this is true or not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Okay, now that I'm not at work and have a little bit of brain: what I was trying to describe by acceptable "high-effort" is stuff that is clearly mostly human creative effort with small AI elements, like the example posted in the previous thread of mostly human-made Blood Bowl maps that contained an AI-generated team logo. This is more or less "if you're trying in good faith and not being obnoxious, we're not going to check if every pixel was artisanally rendered." If the content is all or primarily AI-generated, it shouldn't leave the AI thread even if it's high-effort or high-quality.

My personal approach would be:

If it's human-created stuff that has been given "AI" touch-ups(i.e. interpolation programs or the like), where the "AI" isn't stealing the basic work from anywhere else but only working with the artist's own basic template for raw materials. That's fine and what I would consider "high-effort," though also not really "AI" stuff.

What upsets me, and what I feel also upsets other people as "trash AI posting," is any time the "AI"(and yes I'm insisting on the quotation marks whenever I remember them, because it's important to remember that nothing about this technology is what we'd traditionally call AI and calling it AI is part of a marketing push to make it sound bigger, cooler and more momentous) generates the base, especially if its arsenal for said generation is built on stolen work(I consider the idea of someone using an "ethical" neural net for their generation to be a whimsical fantasy and will not bother to reply to comments invoking that), and then I don't really think most of us give a drat whether someone's poked and prodded the results a bit with human hands, it's the origin that pisses us off.

For your example, I think that permitting "oh but I only made X percent of it with Stable Diffusion!" is going to start invoking ruleslawyering about just how much of something needs to be created before you can set the neural net to finish it off or vice versa. If any part of it is outsourced to a "generative" AI, it goes in the containment thread, that is in my opinion the only workable solution that doesn't just put off the eventual next confrontation where I call a pro-"AI" poster a dork and a weenie.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

So I'm still unsure, would the outcome be I can't post my bloodbowl board because I generated my own logo instead of just directly stealing one from Google images, which would be allowed?

I see you're still not engaging with why one of the two is theft and the other is not. Copying a .jpeg is not theft, copying a .jpeg and then using it for raw materials in a commercial product without consent or attribution, is.

So yes, I think everyone here would be happier if you copied a .jpeg you googled up and sourced it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

You even said in your post you wouldn't want it even with a completely ethical consensual model, so you just don't like it it has nothing to do with ethics

A completely ethical consensual model doesn't exist for this, and isn't what most people use. Let's engage with reality to start with.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

sebmojo posted:

copying a jpg is in fact copyright infringement lol

nearly everything on this forum is copyright infringement including all quotes, and nearly all images. that doesn't mean there aren't some murky issues with the legality of AI stuff, but they absolutely pale in comparison with the routine infringement we all take for granted.

Copyright infringement can hoover my nuts, but theft I do actually care about, and conflating the two is something that only people who care about copyright infringement want you to do.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thank you this is what I wanted to confirm. :)

I'll still call you a dork, though. There's no safety from that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kas posted:

A huge lol at a bunch of people who gluttonously mass consume products by Hasbro of all companies trying to take the high road on ethical consumption of products.

Yes, tell me about all the Hasbro products I consume and have happily paid for. I think you'll find a grand total of... zero.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

StratGoatCom posted:

Someone might commission an artist from that, there is zero chance of someone commissioning an artist from an AI output.

I've absolutely discovered every artist I've ever commissioned from someone posting or retweeting or sharing their art somewhere(of course with attribution or sourcing it). They haven't just entered into my perception ex nihilo in a flash of light.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kas posted:

If you want to use this logic to justify your actions based on something that 'might' happen in your hypothetical scenario, then you have to account for the fact that it is also a possibility that someone sees an AI output they like the general idea of, and takes it to an artist to commission a similar work in that artist's style or interpretation.

Neither is basically ever going to happen though, so stop kidding yourself here.

lmao

AI dorks still with the wild hypotheticals and ignoring what people actually post. Go on, post the one where you're a "new kind of artist" for typing a prompt into a bar and having something else do all the work, that one's my favourite for a laugh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kas posted:

blah blah blah I'm a dork

It's funny that you're ignoring the other artist who posted about how it had literally cost him commissions and paying work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I simply cannot see this fever pitch of emotion sustaining itself in the face of reality for 5 years.

I think that if y'all keep talking in this patronizing way for five years, then it might well manage it. I think a lot of folks might be willing to be slightly more civil about the topic if, once again, we didn't get the scornful, crypto-bro adjacent mutterings about "luddites!" and "in a few years everything will change! we'll disrupt the art industry!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not patronizing you at all. I don't think you're a luddite, I think you're self-interested. About 15 years ago the Internet granted a whole bunch of artists a revenue stream and now it's going to pair it down for a lot of them just as quickly. It does, in fact, suck.

I'm not self-interested, I don't create anything I'd call art(or that anyone would want more of enough to train a neural net on it, anyway), but I know enough artists who make a living off of their work and who have it rough enough as it is, and I'm concerned for them and pissed that people are callously happy to take away their livelihood.