Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Raenir Salazar posted:

This means high effort posts as deemed by the mods would be fine? So as an example if I post like a 500 (hand typed) word Let's Play about how a session went, but happened to include some AI generated images for portraits, but say some hand drawn maps together; this would probably be fine?

This is the intent of the rule, yes. It's specifically based on the example posted in the previous thread of mostly handmade Blood Bowl assets that included a generated team logo, but where there's still been a lot of work put in by the poster manually. What we don't want people to post is just straight dumps of "I had ChatGPT make a dungeon" or "here's my new PC portrait from Midjourney" or whatever when there's no human creative work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I should clarify that this is still under a lot of scrutiny from the mods. If this topic starts to degrade the creative culture of the forums, or if AI fans get really into bear-poking "here's my dungeon writeup and CHECK OUT THREAD COOL MIDJOURNEY ELVES :smuggo:" poo poo with otherwise okay posts, I'm inclined to ban it entirely. This is not a declaration that one side has "won"; it's a tentative test of allowing a posting topic that people seem to want to talk about.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can it be against the rules to cry about being persecuted against like a minority because someone called AI stupid. If you're going to let these people post wherever the least you can do is ensure that is not acceptable on the board.

Yeah, that poo poo is not okay; report it if you see it. In general, feel free to report anyone posting AI stuff to be snotty / piss people off / be performatively self-pitying, because it sucks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Okay, now that I'm not at work and have a little bit of brain: what I was trying to describe by acceptable "high-effort" is stuff that is clearly mostly human creative effort with small AI elements, like the example posted in the previous thread of mostly human-made Blood Bowl maps that contained an AI-generated team logo. This is more or less "if you're trying in good faith and not being obnoxious, we're not going to check if every pixel was artisanally rendered." If the content is all or primarily AI-generated, it shouldn't leave the AI thread even if it's high-effort or high-quality.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Chess AI discussion is fine, IMHO. Obviously this is just my call and not Binding Forums Policy(tm), but I think discussion of AI learning involving playing strategy games (particularly for chess, where it's a pretty important cultural and historical issue) is perfectly reasonable, barring it proving to be a poison-pill topic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also, if people are using the AI thread to mock their Forums Enemies, report that poo poo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, please stop posting thoughts on AI in here. We're going to be looking specifically at the effects on community discussion based on the new rules.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So to give my perspective as a mod who was on the sidelines for this: I saw the reports, agreed that Toshimo was being unacceptably aggro, and when LF said that he and Framboise were talking about giving Toshimo a harsher probe than the IK can auto-issue, I agreed that that was a good idea. There wasn't much discussion of the actual content, and I didn't have the context, but I was expecting a probe reason that was clearer about "stop making GBS threads up this thread" and less "well, gosh, you're not wrong, but..."

I think Framboise was acting in good faith, and in the past I've generally deferred moderation on the M:tG thread because I don't read it or follow modern Magic, but it sounds like it's reached a point where it needs moderation for tone more than it needs subject-matter mastery, and I'm prepared to start moderating it more seriously. This is my big struggle as a TG mod, honestly: how vigorously to moderate threads where I don't know the particular topic? I've been hesitant, but I'm thinking that may need to change, because I hate being blindsided by these crappy situations where I just figured "I'll screw things up if I mod hard, better to let the community self-police."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sickening posted:

Should Toshimo get a threadban? No. We are talking about a poster, among many, who have posted for more than a decade. Toshimo has been probed like twice a year for 12 years of posting. This isn't prolific or even noteworthy.

Bad posters don't become untouchable institutions just by being bad long enough, especially when they've clearly been probed less than their posting deserves in that time. I don't care about history, I care about the present, and it's rancid.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I will say that I don't want to punish people just for being wrong or giving bad advice, as long as it's not malicious or extremely harmful (on the level of "try shooting heroin before the Warhammer tourney to calm your nerves"). Rutibex was a bizarre outlier in terms of being consistently, perversely wrong in a disruptive way.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Beautiful Tradgames Object Exchange, where we all send each other stuff that's too weird and/or incompetent to ever get play

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

We can probably desticky the chat thread and the gangtags thread. I'd say leave the new game announcements and goons seeking goons threads as their own thing, since they have different functions, but we might be able to combine the Mafia and PbP announcement thread since they both seem low-traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

That chick is clearly a hand puppet