Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Alright. I'm here to talk about the implied "no low-effort AI chat outside the AI thread" rule. Specially, how it interacts with this recent probation, which I'm going to repost in its entirety below.

My point is that this is not a low-effort AI joke, it's a low-effort current events joke which happens to involve AI. It's Fuzz going "this involves god and the machine, that's like the God Machine, ha ha". You need to make multiple big leaps in logic to reach any of the aspects of AI that TG has been arguing about for the past week. It is, quite frankly, orthogonal to any issue these rules are built for.

What I'm saying is, if this post is going to probation-worthy outside of the period immediately after the rules change when everyone is excessively worried about enforcing them, just make the rule "do not mention real AI at all in TG outside the designated thread" and save everyone some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Nessus posted:

Yes, if that is the actual rule, say it out loud. If it was just mediocre modding then so it goes.

And no shame to Antivehicular or anything, I don't blame anyone for being gunshy about AI posting after all of this poo poo. (Look at how much this thread sucks already :rimshot:) But if that probation ends up setting a precedent it's going to be really dumb, so I'm mentioning it now.

EDIT VVV: I mean, yeah, you want more than that. But we aren't probating people for making profoundly mediocre posts.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 13, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Yall posting so bad and getting so wild that I had to advocate for toshimo and Leperflesh in the same breath and it feels utterly disgusting. Like I almost complemented on ilmucche turning into a decent poster for gods sake.

I think the mods/ik did this one fine.

On one hand, I agree that the basic thrust of what the mods did was fine. It could have been phrased better, but "I can agree that the dead man did some disagreeable things, but have some loving tact" is a fine reason for a probation and a day is as effective a period as any when you have someone with as long a history as Toshimo.

On the other hand, would a week off actually make Toshimo's posting in the MtG thread better? I'm usually fine with his posting elsewhere in TG in that "he's an rear end in a top hat, but he isn't wrong" way, but the thread regulars have clearly gotten sick of him consistently posting like an rear end in a top hat for as long as he has, it's poisoning the thread's vibes, and it's getting this much of a reaction because the subforum in general is begging for more proactive moderation. If Toshimo gets threadbanned, the worst thing that will happen is we'll all have to turn to the Industry thread to see him being harsh-but-fair about whatever is currently happening in MtG news today.