Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

Yeah I don't think anybody wants this place to be like d&d
Raenir Salazar is already posting here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kestral posted:

I try to live by a policy of "don't feed the trolls," but silence is taken as acceptance, so I'm just going to post about this once. For the mods:

To clarify, is everyone in TG allowed to post like this? Am I also permitted to follow my posting enemies around and call them whatever schoolyard taunt I think will get under their skin at recess, or is that just for PurpleXVI?

For everyone else: There's a posting strategy being employed here of baiting you into making effortposts and then giving you a dismissive one-liner reply. Ya'll have been around the forums long enough to know this pattern, don't engage with it. You can't actually convince someone who disagrees with you of anything over the internet, so don't bother. Direct yourselves to the mods and admins who are actually responsible for the rules. Making you waste time and energy is the goal, so just don't do it.
Extremely long boring posts that convey nothing are a staple of the most odious elements of TG culture internet wide. They deserve to be mocked with zero effort posts. There's a reason :zak: has its name.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is funny to see every weird little subculture thread on SA gets defensive in the same way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lol this is getting weird now, there aren't any such posts. If you search luddite you can even see nobody has called anyone it in the AI thread for the entire drama.

It's really strange, even leper is saying that the personal attacks, "using the label luddite as an insult", are coming from both sides but, after rigorous analysis, there really is only one side constantly going for personal attacks.

Even last thread nobody ever got called a luddite, seriously, go ctrl F that one too.
the anti-AI crew use it constantly, accusing others of using the term but me and other handsome posters point out that the luddites were against industrial exploitation not technology and wanted to use the new looms themselves.
This is making the whole argument about a single word usage rather than a general feel. The specific and only real use of luddite was in the previous feedback thread by Raenir Salazar who is assuredly pro-ai.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like it'd be ideal to separate the more obnoxious opinions or feelings about techbros from the heart of the argument, and also ideal to also not assume everyone who has ethical legitimate concerns is a luddite irrationally angry about a new technology. Its just reads like two sides entering into two separate boxing matches with their own scarecrows where one has a paper saying ai techbros as a face and the other is a luddite.

I think it's fine to acknowledge that there's legitimate concerns and maybe we shouldn't be unconditionally endorses it by just letting people post AI creations willy nilly. But I also think the amount of harm is being in some arguments wildly overstated and I didn't see anyone respond to my suggestions so I'll suggest again that there should outside of a dedicated containment thread standards and expectations of some combination of originality, effort, and creativity regarding the use of AI taking the post in context.

The most creative and entertaining the surrounding post the less care needs to be taken regarding the use of AI, and the less funny or interesting the post the more you need to be changing the ai artwork to be something you added genuine input into. I feel like this is a suitable compromise.
However the complaint is not about a specific word but rather the general persecution complex tone of these posts.

Megazver posted:

Why yes, I would love to get dogpiled by a bunch of hostile, bad faith neckbeards who don't actually understand what they're having a moral panic about, but are aggressive enough about it that they try to muscle over the forum rules to screw with anyone who disagrees about this contentious issue instead of having polite discussion or agreeing to disagree.

If no one takes you up on this generous offer, I think it won't be because there is no one who disagrees with the mob, but because, frankly, "hey there's a witch hunt happening over there, would you like to be the witch?" feels unsafe and I am a little disappointed by how you're handling this.

The only I'll add to this is that no, I don't think this should be a rule. Enjoy your discussion.

BrainDance posted:

Lets do this with all mediums next. Lets have a thread where I misinterpret all digital art as just pressing buttons in photoshop and complain about it being derivative, I'll go pick out random people posting their work and talk about how lovely it is and how they're just copying preestablished fantasy tropes.

Then we can ask them to go get dogpiled on in another thread.

Communist Thoughts posted:

LOL did you read the thread? It's a thread for people who are fanatically against using AI generators for anything and thinks it's immoral.

I kinda like to argue so I'm tempted to post my views in there but it's just gonna rile people up and accomplish nothing if theyr all already discussing whether they should bully people off the board or just ban them for posting their AI pics of NPCs.

E I don't think it's a "lost argument" just a pointless one, AI is already quarantined to this thread but that's not enough for these people? Just tell them to gently caress off imo.

Banning it from the whole site is a stupid idea, it clearly drives some people up the wall though so fine give them spaces to not see it.
You can see how all of these words are building the same characterization. ravenkult was not literally saying "they're using the bad word over and over again" but the constant assurance that any desire to see less ai art must be motivated by some sort of over the top irrational emotion. Fixating on the word is obviously not the point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

E to add: also I think it's a little reductive to say I am pro AI, I personally merely feel I am taking a nuanced utilitarian position.
everyone thinks they have a "nuanced utilitarian position" about nearly every topic. To believe this sets you apart is extremely funny.