Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My feedback and suggestion is that maybe Toshimo didn't need his dick sucked about how good and right he is while giving him a tiny slap on the wrist for dancing on a man's grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Magnetic North posted:

Wait, how did Framboise hand out a 1 day probe? Aren't they an IK?

IKs can queue whatever, they just have a lower threshold for what automatically goes through without approval

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Those are a lot of words to describe bad moderation and no words about how you plan to address it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've read your post again and it seems like maybe you think I was arguing for a lighter punishment. Can you clarify?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leperflesh posted:

it sounds like you think Framboise agreed with dancing on the grave of a dead guy, and he didn't and I don't either. It also sounded like you thought that post should have gotten a longer probation: framboise suggested a 24 and I thought that was reasonable. These are judgement calls.

If you (TG mods and IKs) want to give someone a probation for, as you said, a grotesque post then the probe reason can just be "grotesque post, dancing on the grave of a guy who just died". If you don't want people to think you actually agree with the person being probated then you probably shouldn't type two mealy-mouthed paragraphs that say, "I don't disagree". Twice. That might give people the impression that you don't disagree, which is what all the people who posted here about it have told you. Whatever you thought that message conveyed, it did the opposite.

Maybe if the probation was something meaningful then people would have thought perhaps they were misinterpreting the message. But it was a day. As you said, "pretty minor". So the overall picture is not a good one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kai Tave posted:

What is even the point of this thread? Every time feedback is given on moderation it seems the response is just "sorry we're not going to do anything different because that would involve actual effort."

Actually the response is

Framboise posted:

Take the boneheaded histrionics and stuff it

So ironically I agree with what you said but not the tone

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

You said I was "sucking his dick" about it when all I did was agree with the notion that people should be paid for the work they do but it wasn't a good time to bring that up, and that the "Good riddance" comment was hosed up and lovely. So yeah, sounds pretty overdramatic to me and you can, in fact, stuff it.

You know what, fair enough. It was an unnecessarily aggro way to raise my complaint with the way the post was handled. I've felt like my feedback in TG has been dismissed or minimised in the past but you weren't involved in that and I shouldn't have brought that energy to this issue. I'm sorry

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

Please understand that I was asked to IK the thread and I agreed to do so on the condition that I'm not expected to be terminally online in the thread and will help out now and then, and wanted to do so in a minimally invasive way.

After today, I'm questioning whether or not any of this is worth my time and mental bandwidth because I kind of feel like whatever my response to the situation was, it would have been met with some kind of backlash and that sucks a lot!

This is the first time I've seen anyone complain about your decisions, outside of the thread that was deemed to be enough of a mess to need you as a dedicated IK. I don't even know if they've complained about you in that thread other than the guy I saw whining about tone policing in response to this probe.

By SA standards, that's pretty loving good! Seriously. And this situation wasn't that big a deal. I'd have liked a longer probe and a less conciliatory probe reason, that's it. Again, by SA standards this is small stuff. Clearly the rest of the TG mod team has your back still, tempers have cooled, no is asking for your head. The worst has passed.

Captain Invictus posted:

my suggestion was that toshimo should just be threadbanned from the mtg thread, but I was rebuked. this pussyfooting around a poster like toshimo has, demonstrably, not done anything to stop them being who they are. multiple people, most prominently pablo nergigante, have said they stopped reading the mtg thread because of crazy aggro posters like toshimo, and I would trade toshimo for pablo in a loving heartbeat

toshimo has been probated over a dozen times for being the most aggro poster in SPECIFICALLY the magic the gathering thread for literally a decade. apparently he had been cooling off on it for a while until this monumentally terrible post, but Fucker quoted him a bunch showing it's a longstanding grudge toshimo had against the dude for making bad rulings, his claims of the guy being some anti-leftist or whatever is just the thinnest of veneers to hide his actual reason for celebrating his death, that he made rules judgements toshimo didn't like. it's loving pathetic to an insane degree and a single day probe is hilarious for that post. I don't even know the guy he hates so much, but that level of bloodlust towards a guy who just died of cancer because he made some rulings toshimo didn't like, that that didn't warrant at least a week especially with toshimo's rap sheet in that thread alone is wild to me.

and framboise's probation reason was certainly not worded well if they didn't want people to infer they agreed with toshimo on it. can you edit probations? I'm pretty sure you can, maybe change it to the more succinct one someone posted upthread of just like "incredibly angry posting exulting in the cancer death of his posting gaming enemies"

Yeah I agree with this. I've previously defended Toshimo as aggressive but generally correct in the EDH thread, so my hands are not clean here, but as I've read more and more threads all across the forum I keep seeing people I like say that they're into MTG or board games but that TG is too aggro and/or miserable and I don't want that.

People have said this place reminds them of the bad days of video games (the forum) before it was cleaned up by video games (the admin), so if TG mods want some advice on making this a happier place to post about poo poo that should be fun I know who I'd talk to

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

I didn't even know until now that I was the subject of yet another thread until now, so that's fun.

The probe got mentioned in the SAD small questions thread and they've already moved on to cspam drama

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tekopo posted:

Thank you for your service

Also Rutibex did the same thing in the board game thread, just made really bad suggestions about games and I was glad when he stopped posting there, and wasn’t surprised to hear he did it in other threads as well.

He was thread banned from Path of Exile video game thread for recommending unplayable builds

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sebmojo posted:

he made his own PMF thread for posting terrible builds into the ether

If you motherfuckers (goons collectively) get me to read two PMF threads in one day so help me god

Leperflesh posted:

I'm told threadbans have been effective in the politics forums, but are also a maintenance nightmare because there's no actual support for them in the forums software.

Threadbans that I've seen work best are the ones where the thread regulars are all supportive of it because they'll be glad the person is gone and report pretty reliably if they pop back up. There were a couple in the ukmt in d&d that everyone hated and they always got promptly bopped for trying to make a return.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think there is a point to be made that Jeffrey did say something to the effect of "If someone sucks in a general sense, but isn't terrible enough to prompt strong mod action, this website is the kind of place that's welcome to tell them to gently caress off until they do." I'm sure that's not exactly what he said but there was some sentiment expressed in that way.

My expectation, were I to do that in TG, would be that I would get probated and the person I was telling to gently caress off would get away clean

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Vando posted:

However, I'm pretty sure that when multiple people are making the same misreading it absolutely is on the person being misread to do a better job at communicating and not the readers to magically have the intended interpretation appear in their brains.

Pages and pages of people saying the LC message for Toshimo's probe sucks and Leperflesh telling them that actually it's perfectly clear and they're intentionally reading the worst into it suggests TG mods do not agree with you

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm glad I got distracted before posting that I thought Arivia had been more chill lately. Good grief.

Leperflesh posted:

You have an incredible talent for taking the barest hint of charity or conciliatory tone and openly interpreting it as an admission of guilt for some profound wrong done to you. Everyone, absolutely everyone here, loving hates it, and as literally the most tolerant mod on SA for your poo poo, your habit of vigorously biting the hand offered to you is self-destructive as hell.

No, I'm not apologizing, because we weren't wrong and you're not being put through bullshit. This is a lifeline, Arivia: take a sixer and move on.

We haven't been seeing eye to eye all that much in this thread but this is right on the money.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leperflesh posted:

Because as I just said, I believe I was seeing a long-term positive trend. My first reflex when talking to people who have a posting problem is to try to work towards them solving their problems and if I see results I think that's the best outcome.

I am a lot more patient than I guess most people. Not just mods or folks on SA, but in real life, too. I am trying to take to heart the stated preference of a large majority of TG posters to be less patient, though, I really am, and today is I hope evidence of that.

This is the right instinct imo. I think you have been overvaluing progress with what you see as long term project posters vs. the overall health of the community. While you might have data that says someone is improving because you can see that their probations are getting further apart, you have to remember that most people are responding emotionally to the way that those posters make threads feel.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leperflesh posted:

I don't like or want to be a punching bag or a pushover and I don't want to act or fail to act out of fear of being yelled at. I do want to foster a sense that no matter what our pre-existing relationship, any poster can come to me in public or private with any issue and know that I will at least listen and do my best to be fair, and if I know I cannot, I'll recuse myself and hand off to a co-mod or admin or, occasionally when the stakes are very low, an IK. When anyone is telling me I've got it wrong I am going to do my best to listen, even if it's someone who has a long long history of weaponizing those discussions, because the day I stop listening is the day I shouldn't be a mod any more.

Well, as someone who might very well have pissed you off by pushing the domino that led to an IK you were happy with quitting, I think you do a pretty good job living up to this standard. I don't always agree with you but I haven't felt you've been unfair to me at any point in this discussion

Leperflesh posted:

It's a basic truth that everything a mod posts "as a mod" like on duty, can and will be dissected word for word for any flaw or misstatement or hint of bias or contempt etc. etc. People in SAD complain of "mod voice" but it's just a natural adjustment you make in response to being held to account for every word by an audience that is highly motivated to find fault.

I don't think this is universally true and it's also a spectrum rather than a binary. I think that it's possible to adjust too far and create more distance between yourself and users, which leads to more dissection and then we're in another undesirable feedback loop. Maybe I'm not the right person to comment on this though since I'm generally ok with mods being a bit more formal if that makes them more comfortable, but I definitely get a weird vibe if a post feels like it's trying to pre-emptively shut off every possible counter argument

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leperflesh posted:

If you are hanging around in the painting thread or the historicals thread or the yu-gi-oh thread or the gloomhaven thread, and you see bad posting, I invite you (this is the collective you) to file the first report that thread has had in years.

Multiple people itt have told you that they just don't report any more because they don't think it will achieve anything

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sebmojo posted:

oh that button (laughs politely) do you take me for a villain in a Republic serial

This vibe tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krsj2bcnRlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

Trad Games: Watch your perception of money change in real time as you try to justify spending over $100 on a single cardboard rectangle

Ouch