Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Counterpoint, you can just ignore the containment thread and get on with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

PurpleXVI posted:

I see you're still not engaging with why one of the two is theft and the other is not. Copying a .jpeg is not theft, copying a .jpeg and then using it for raw materials in a commercial product without consent or attribution, is.

Crimes for thee, but not for me!

A huge lol at a bunch of people who gluttonously mass consume products by Hasbro of all companies trying to take the high road on ethical consumption of products.

StratGoatCom posted:

More to the point, arguably stuff like AVs and the like could be called free advertising for the IP creator, if folks are willing to point them in their direction.

Technically infringement, but it actually helps the owner.

Ah yes, compensating the artist for their product in 'exposure'. Something that has never been used to justify exploiting creatives historically.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kas fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 13, 2023

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes, tell me about all the Hasbro products I consume and have happily paid for. I think you'll find a grand total of... zero.

You are not the only poster in this thread, something for which I'm actually grateful for since you constantly try to speak for me as an artist, without actually reflecting any of my views on the subject.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

StratGoatCom posted:

Someone might commission an artist from that, there is zero chance of someone commissioning an artist from an AI output.

If you want to use this logic to justify your actions based on something that 'might' happen in your hypothetical scenario, then you have to account for the fact that it is also a possibility that someone sees an AI output they like the general idea of, and takes it to an artist to commission a similar work in that artist's style or interpretation.

Neither is basically ever going to happen though, so stop kidding yourself here.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao

AI dorks still with the wild hypotheticals and ignoring what people actually post. Go on, post the one where you're a "new kind of artist" for typing a prompt into a bar and having something else do all the work, that one's my favourite for a laugh.

I'm not an AI artist. The fact you have already made this caricature of me in your head of what and who you think I am and what I do to try and dunk on me is absolutely not becoming of someone who is supposed to be part of the moderation staff.

I have paid off 7 years of student debt (three years of that being in graphic design), a credit card and two cars with my art. Most of that has been, through a twist of luck, through commercial pixel art and fine painting for private buyers, though a substantial portion was also in branding, advertising, and more general commission. These days, I mostly now take small local business branding and advertising contracts and consult with local bands in the local music scene for design of posters, flyers and album covers for supplemental income as I work another job that pays more than the art did.

With that background, I'm saying right now: AI does not hinder or diminish either my ability nor my desire to create art. The level of theft you ascribe to it is arbitrary and mercurial, moving to suit whatever tortured logic you need to use in the moment to justify why it 'counts' and other things you do don't, and shows no self-reflection on the hundreds of other instances of theft and worker exploitation you engage in every day merely by virtue of existing in a first world country. AI art generators, which undoubtedly contains instances of works I've created within their datasets, are no more stealing from me than someone copying a design element of my work is, and the panic seems to entirely be that it's not a human being doing it, which would somehow make it better.

It is telling that for all the outrage in here, there has been a long-established thread in the creative convention subforum for AI art - the forum that, presumably, actual professional and up-and-coming artists post in, and yet there is no problem or outrage with it there and none of the posters outside of it give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

PurpleXVI posted:

blah blah blah I'm a dork

I honestly don't know why I expected any better. Oh well, carry on then I guess. :/