Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope that there will not be a policy of slapping probations on on topic conversations over news or inspirational materials touching on LLMs etc. a recent example of what I mean is in the World of Darkness thread, but this could easily impact things like the threads on Shadowrun or Cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Alright. I'm here to talk about the implied "no low-effort AI chat outside the AI thread" rule. Specially, how it interacts with this recent probation, which I'm going to repost in its entirety below.

My point is that this is not a low-effort AI joke, it's a low-effort current events joke which happens to involve AI. It's Fuzz going "this involves god and the machine, that's like the God Machine, ha ha". You need to make multiple big leaps in logic to reach any of the aspects of AI that TG has been arguing about for the past week. It is, quite frankly, orthogonal to any issue these rules are built for.

What I'm saying is, if this post is going to probation-worthy outside of the period immediately after the rules change when everyone is excessively worried about enforcing them, just make the rule "do not mention real AI at all in TG outside the designated thread" and save everyone some time.
Yes, if that is the actual rule, say it out loud. If it was just mediocre modding then so it goes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And no shame to Antivehicular or anything, I don't blame anyone for being gunshy about AI posting after all of this poo poo. (Look at how much this thread sucks already :rimshot:) But if that probation ends up setting a precedent it's going to be really dumb, so I'm mentioning it now.

EDIT VVV: I mean, yeah, you want more than that. But we aren't probating people for making profoundly mediocre posts.
Yeap pretty much. If not for mid posting whence would come the posters?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

Why not
Post mid get 6 seems right
A dangerous precedent

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I’m assuming talking about AI in the sense of fictional computers like Wintermute and HAL 9000 is fine. Even if you’re discussing how Arasaka made ChatGPT-9 out of puppy brains and ChatGPT-10 misses it’s parent, Delamain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

yes, you can refer to Friend Computer without a probation

this some of that edge case stuff where I desperately hope common sense can prevail
I am more concerned about someone kicking into a thread making jokes about Friend Computer, dropping a sick one liner, and making it about the bad RL thing. I’m familiar with a similar dynamic from the religion goons thread , though it did end in time. But it’s also unfair to you guys if “threads to keep an eye on” ends up encompassing much of science fiction.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kchama posted:

I think people just don't like that your probe reason was "I agree with what you said, but not how you said it." to a really garbage post. Like, the post was awful even before you got to the final line.
As someone outside of the MTG ecosystem I agree. Escalating probes for the same poo poo is quite reasonable, but this comes off as 'you had your heart in the right place when you condemned the dead community man' and I don't think, generally, we need to encourage that poo poo; there is plenty of it in the world already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That said, the painting thread was like a church in Highlander back then, so no reports there makes sense.
Does this mean neutral ground or does it mean it was full of severed heads

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trad Games: Heavily subsidized by Magic: the Gathering

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trad Games - Where Black Leaf did NOT find the poison trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I believe these are what hobbits call mathoms