Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Thanks for the links - this is all good.

However I came across different issue. I'm reading the rules and while base core is reasonable the 50 000 acronyms and loadouts start to get to me. Looking at the army builder tool there are 20 chasseur variants with only difference being this one has LAC and this one MAC and this one is KGB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
It's daunting, no argument. But think of it like this. Instead of each unit having a list of options for weapons and equipment, each combination is expanded into a line item.

Even fairly simple games like Frostgrave would have this many lines if you expanded the equipment each unit can carry into a loadout package.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah I think I'm being fussy about presentation - I come from AoS, KT and Malifaux background where everyone has a truckload of rules as well (tho those tend to be more unit specific) so this might be the case of me being unfamiliar with the system. It will probably turn out half of the base rules never gets used in game anyway

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Keeping an eye on this thread. I really like the idea of getting into Battletech, but wish it focused more on combined arms. This looks like a good alternative!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Yeah I think I'm being fussy about presentation - I come from AoS, KT and Malifaux background where everyone has a truckload of rules as well (tho those tend to be more unit specific) so this might be the case of me being unfamiliar with the system. It will probably turn out half of the base rules never gets used in game anyway

Yeah, i think it's one of those things that's probably very good when you attain familiarity but a real wall until you do.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I don't use it as much anymore, but when I was first trying to wrap my head around building forces, after I built my first Southern box, I just copied the stat lines out of the builder and into a spreadsheet, and I mostly worked in there as far as figuring out how to combine the pieces to make something effective.

The builder also has really good filtering tools, make good use of those. "roles=gp type=gear -extended " those kind of simple filters really make it easier to scan.

And if you have questions about how it works, the developer is an active player and hangs out in the discord shooting the poo poo with people daily.

HGB is at its best when run as combined arms. This is my current pickup game 125TV list

http://hgbtools.infohell.net/roster...&Uni-ReconDrone

Southern Republic Army Roster 125TV (V3.1)
-- GP --
Command Caiman 8TV
- Combat Group Leader (CGL)
Infantry Squad 4TV
Field Gun 5TV
Caiman 6TV
Infantry Squad 4TV
Field Gun 5TV
-- SK --
Force Fer de Lance 17TV
- Commanding Officer (CO), Force Leader, Duelist (for Veterans), Precise
Blazing Mamba 13TV
Blazing Mamba 13TV
Paratrooper Sniper Team 4TV
-- SOsec --
Chameleon 14TV
- Political Officer
-- FS --
Hydra 30TV
Recon Drone 2TV

That's one infantry platoon in APCs with field pieces. They advance and hold position. A standard strike gear squad that will airdrop in and close to medium range but with better than average weapons and is just highly adaptable. And a tank, albeit a bipedal one, but it serves the same role; anti-armor, and un-ignorable. And because I like the command aspect and the thematics of the South, an upgraded force leader and political officer.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 20, 2023

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Most of the variants and rules become as easy to parse as banners and champions in AoS.

HGB has the historical issue where you can look at possible choices and see a wall of an excel spreadsheet and think it insurmountable, but all weapons, upgrades, and traits are rather universal. Once you just rip off the band-aid and start playing some games it becomes more obvious. Start with simple games and don't worry about getting orders and electronic warfare mastered off the bat.

I don't have a simple 125 list for my NuCoal (a quirk of the faction), but I swear list building gets easy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Extremely weird question and sorry if it comes off a bit shitpost-y but I figure old HGB hands might be the best folks to ask:

I do, generally, love the look of the DP9 mechs; they far more resemble the mechs of Gundam, or, really, Votoms, rather than the tanks-with-legs style Battletech's really famous for. However some of the posing on the DP9 minis feels a bit clumsy - does anyone make proxies? There's like a million makers for BTech stuff, after all.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

spectralent posted:

does anyone make proxies?
No.

I've never yet found a line of intentional proxies for Heavy Gear. There's a few one-offs here and there in other model lines, mostly in 15mm where they're either power armor or very light mechs. And there's more than a few butterface gears (lookin' at you, Owl) in the game, so I've looked.

There's a few STLs that are explicitly for Heavy Gear

The alternate HT-95 that looks more like the other CEF tanks is a real winner.

This monowheel that's an alternate version of the Spritz monowheel from Peace River.

And then there's a couple places for upgrading the plastic kits with better details, or better posing of legs and hands and things - https://www.thingiverse.com/tdoesepic/collections/29251404/things & https://www.patreon.com/game_mini_garage

The closest I've found to a whole line of alternates are this guy https://www.buymeacoffee.com/RattapoomK/extras and The Lazy Forgers stuff like https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-the-enlisted-heavy-infantry-and-mechs-228781 and https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-the-tech-socrates-class-battle-rig-138213

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Thanks. You've kind of mirrored my experience; the TTRPG world is awash in tiny mechs for battletech but for something sleeker you struggle until you get to huge chunkers like the infinity TAGs.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
Making slow, but measurable progress assembling the South army box, it will still probably be awhile yet before I post any pictures though. I want to wait until I've either gotten around to painting a few of them, or at least finished with some of my planned conversion work first.

I did decide to go ahead and order a few more models though because fortress games was holding a sale, I ended up picking up a chameleon 2 pack, a biker squad, and an infantry + teams pack. I did decide to pick up the NuCoal sculpts for the infantry however, because the actual Southern infantry sculpts just kind of look bad in my opinion and the NuCoal sculpts have a more rounded appearance like the actual Southern gears do. The NuCoal, Peace River, and Black Talon infantry also all seem to have either similar or identical appearances, so I'm assuming they are all using some kind of readily available, multi faction equipment.

While working on assembly I've also been trying my hand on list building, and I was wondering if this list seemed reasonable, if I'm going about this all wrong, or accidentally constructed an illegal list.

Military Intervention and Counter Insurgency Army Roster 148TV (V3.1)

MILICIA
-- SK --
Razor Fang Long Fang Mamba 15TV
- Combat Group Leader (CGL), Veteran Leaders
Blazing Mamba 12TV
- Conscription (A:1)
Brawler Mamba 11TV
Para Striking Jager 5TV
-- RCsec --
Chameleon 13TV
- Second in Command (2iC)

-- FS --
Slashing Cobra 14TV
Flame Cobra 13TV
Slashing Cobra 13TV
Chatterbox Iguana 14TV
- Political Officer, Veteran Leaders
Silverscale 8TV

-- SO --
Hunting Chameleon 15TV
- Independent Duelist (for Vet), Advanced Control Systems

-- GP --
Stripped-Down Striking Jager 5TV
Stripped-Down Jager 4TV
Jackrabbit Recon 3TV
Jackrabbit Recon 3TV

The overall idea is that this force has a heck of a lot of TD's, and a ton of ways to get FO's off on enemy models, and anything that does get tagged is going to get it's day ruined by indirect fire from the Cobras. It also generates a whole bunch of CPs to help with consistency.

The SK group can either push or hold depending on what makes more sense in a given matchup. The Para striking Jaeger is in there because I needed an additional AP in the main group to make the group legal, and it was the cheapest thing that could still keep up with the rest of the group. Everything else was either a lot more expensive or too slow.

The FS group is all indirect fire all the time, and has a bunch of EWar and command and control built into it. As far as I can tell that Political Officer in the Chatterbox Iguana should generate 3 CP a turn and can use them to give orders to any CG, while having both ECCM and SatUp to help ensure those orders actually go through.

The Hunting Chameleon Duelist I gave two actions so that it could potentially Hide + FO, Hide + Shoot, or Shoot + FO every turn.

The GP CG is just there to provide some very light screening and deterrence towards enemies jumping on top of the FS CG. I don't really expect it to accomplish a whole lot in any given game, but it's very cheap and offers some expendable bodies to use for a variety of tasks like FOing or running for objectives. It also seems like a reasonable CG to activate early in a round so the more important CGs can be kept in reserve.

I also have an additional 2 points I can spend on upgrades or rejiggering the list depending on whoever my expected opponent is. AA, AMS, Resistance Haywire for the Chameleon 2iC, Field armor for the Chameleons, or smoke all seem like potentially good upgrades.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I think that list will work about exactly as described. The PO Chatterbox will indeed have 3 commands. I'm a fan of the Slashing Cobra, its an excellent fire support gear. With two points left over, I think I'd flip the second Slashing to a 2iC. Be cautious with the cav, they're extremely fragile.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

I think that list will work about exactly as described. The PO Chatterbox will indeed have 3 commands. I'm a fan of the Slashing Cobra, its an excellent fire support gear. With two points left over, I think I'd flip the second Slashing to a 2iC. Be cautious with the cav, they're extremely fragile.

It's nice to hear that the list should work as I envisioned it, the real test will be if it's actually a good plan in the grand scheme of things.

Having an extra commander and thus a CP does sound nice, but I figured spending those points on something defensive in nature would be a better idea. Enemy Airstrikes and Indirect fire seemed like the biggest vulnerabilities to both of the big CGs. The other big one seeming to be the Chameleon in the SK CG getting haywired and thus losing the protection of the ECM and ECCM bubble. Maybe I'm overthinking/overestimating those threats though?

One other thing I'm considering is switching the conscript Brawler Mamba to a conscript Brawler Mamba MP which is a variant I glossed over initially. The MGL is downgraded to a LGL and it loses 1 EW, but it picks up a MAC, a shield, and saves an additional point which can be used for upgrades elsewhere. I figure that would make for a better point man gear for the SK CG while still maintaining a lot of the selling points of having a GL in the unit. It also adds a little bit of melee prowess to the unit in case that is relevant. It would mean I need to convert or scratch build a shield to attach to one of the plastic mambas, and convert a MAC/LGL combo weapon, but I can't imagine either of those things being terribly difficult.

As for for the Cav, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I did kind of expect them to die if literally anything connected a hit on them to begin with. I'm hoping their 3+ piloting, agile trait, and not being hampered by using top speed every turn will cause them to dodge at least a few shots. If not, then I figure anything spending one of it's precious few actions blowing up a 3 point conscript motorbike is one action not being spent shooting at one of my actually important units. I definitely need to make sure they aren't getting killed for free though, like letting them get shot by something that otherwise wouldn't be able to shoot that turn, or getting them caught as collateral against an AOE attack.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Airstrikes are all boom or bust. If your opponent has no AA, they are punishing when they land and the more you have the harder you win. If your opponent has a single AA weapon, they're less than half as effective, and if they brought more than one, you've mostly wasted your TV on the airstrikes. I usually give one of my Caiman APCs the AA upgrade, but my regular opponent also brings VTOLs so they never go to waste. So yeah, AA is a good upgrade as well. Probably stick it on the Cobras.

Southern MPs are awesome, I just wish I liked the models more. The shoulder lights just don't work for me. They're in my future-kitbash scratchpad of projects.

Specifically with cav, they need to stick to cover at all times. Going fast out in the open will see them wiped out off handedly.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

Airstrikes are all boom or bust. If your opponent has no AA, they are punishing when they land and the more you have the harder you win. If your opponent has a single AA weapon, they're less than half as effective, and if they brought more than one, you've mostly wasted your TV on the airstrikes. I usually give one of my Caiman APCs the AA upgrade, but my regular opponent also brings VTOLs so they never go to waste. So yeah, AA is a good upgrade as well. Probably stick it on the Cobras.

I figure it's one of those upgrades I'll either bring or leave at home depending on whatever my play group ends up being like. Definitely noted to put it on one of the Cobras then.

Slyphic posted:

Southern MPs are awesome, I just wish I liked the models more. The shoulder lights just don't work for me. They're in my future-kitbash scratchpad of projects.

Yeah I'm not very fond of the actual models for them either, except for the Cobra MP but it's variants aren't really wowing me rules-wise. I figure giving a regular plastic Mamba a shield and the proper weapons should get the point across well enough, maybe also paint "M.P." on the shoulder/shield in freehand as well. This may end up looking less like military police gears and more like re-militarized police gears, but that's fine.

Slyphic posted:

Specifically with cav, they need to stick to cover at all times. Going fast out in the open will see them wiped out off handedly.

Noted! They may be cheap, but I would definitely prefer if they weren't exploded needlessly.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finished my CEF hoveranks. Far more tribulation than I wanted in their painting, and not really at all what I set out to do with them, but perfectly fieldable. Bunch of pics and some words on my blog https://yadzcb.friestman.net/hgb-cef-hts.html

The Golden Gear HGB painting competition just kicked off a week ago, and I think I want to submit these guys as a group. Just need to wait for some good lighting and get some proper pics. I've got ideas for individual, duelist and custom, namely some Iguanas I want to turn into the Lidded and Rapier variants which don't have official models and are kind of cool units in terms of gameplay.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

Finished my CEF hoveranks. Far more tribulation than I wanted in their painting, and not really at all what I set out to do with them, but perfectly fieldable. Bunch of pics and some words on my blog https://yadzcb.friestman.net/hgb-cef-hts.html

The Golden Gear HGB painting competition just kicked off a week ago, and I think I want to submit these guys as a group. Just need to wait for some good lighting and get some proper pics. I've got ideas for individual, duelist and custom, namely some Iguanas I want to turn into the Lidded and Rapier variants which don't have official models and are kind of cool units in terms of gameplay.

Those tanks look like they just came in from a particularly lengthy extra long patrol. Nice job on all that weathering!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My buddy and I are getting into this. We each ordered one of the two player starters with hopes of luring in more friends with offers of pre-made forces. I got War for Terra Nova and plan on running the North. Can you all give me advice on what to do with my starting gears and list building in general?

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

PeterWeller posted:

My buddy and I are getting into this. We each ordered one of the two player starters with hopes of luring in more friends with offers of pre-made forces. I got War for Terra Nova and plan on running the North. Can you all give me advice on what to do with my starting gears and list building in general?

Difficult to give a satisfying answer to this. I wouldn't worry too much about building what is best, only build a max of two for any variant, and start small. Small point games are good for getting your head list building, you can't do everything at 50 points. The games will not be very representative of how larger point games play out, but it will get you to respect the limitations you should expect from a singular combat group. There are a lot of options in HG and it will feel overwhelming.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

My advice, clip out all the weapons and share them around. There's some options, especially among the North and South, that aren't on the sprues but the other 3 armies should have spares aplenty.

I'd build: http://hgbtools.infohell.net/roster...ec--&N-WhiteCat

Which is pretty close to what my suggested Southern 2p starter build looks like, but as mirror as they are, that's hard to avoid. The North gets snub cannons, and few other people get those; bring at least one. LACs are boring and ineffective, avoid them either by taking a MAC or different weapon, or something mounted and more interesting (LATM/ECM/TD). I'd go off book slightly and build one Cheetah as a Para-Cheetah, which is basically a cheetah with no rocket pack than can join the Jaguar group in an airdrop deployment, which is very useful. Said strike group is a mix of long range and short range weapons, but they have plenty of SatUps for splitting up and still succeeding on orders. The rest of them can be combined in a big Strike group, which is the hunters capping objectives and supporting the Grizzlies which are really a firesupport element. The Rabbid grizzly can borrow the MGL from either the Black Mamba or Curassier sprue.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I can't say that my north army was particularly built with any kind of meta viability in mind (tbh I figure the game is a little obscure for that to come into play too much) but the North gets some very big guns that other factions don't have as much. Snub cannons are great, they're viable on hunters and while they might not get to fire more than once they'll probably make a mess. The Grizzlies also get access to some D9 guns but the crossbow is probably the better pick for versatility. Since you have the starter set that also has the South you can steal LBZs from that to make Hunter Zerstorers (and i guess you could try and play off the MGLs as LGLs to make rabid hunters too) which have field armor which makes them nearly as durable as jags. Strike cheetahs can be fun too, the rapid fire bazooka is essentially a MAC+ with a little less range.

Basically North is a little less generalist than South, maybe a little less survivable but they also get much better specialised tools, especially can openers.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

If your buddy and you pool components, Peace River has actual rapid bazookas to pilfer, and Nucoal should have a couple spare LGLs as well.

North as a faction doctrine is all about the biggest guns a gear can possibly carry. This is epitomized in one of my favorite obscure gears, the Tank Hunter Dingo. 9 TV, armor 7, but packing linked MRPs, linked HMGs, airdroppable and a handheld loving field gun. It is the most Northern gear to ever exist. When I plan for fighting the North, I plan for heavier weapons than I can field on more mobile platforms than I can field them (as a Southie).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Thanks for the advice, y'all!

We're planning on starting out with some 50TV games to get a handle on things before expanding to 100TV and hanging around there for a time while we build up and learn how to play different options.

I was thinking for my first foray, I'd just spam 4 hunters with some basic upgrades and a grizzly and cheetah.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

I was thinking for my first foray, I'd just spam 4 hunters with some basic upgrades and a grizzly and cheetah.
Solid plan. For just getting to grips with the system, I'd suggest ignoring orders and ECM the very first game, just get a feel for fire and movement.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Solid plan. For just getting to grips with the system, I'd suggest ignoring orders and ECM the very first game, just get a feel for fire and movement.

Ahh, okay. So maybe drop the cheetah for a jag?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

Ahh, okay. So maybe drop the cheetah for a jag?
Nah, keep it. Use the TD and sensors for fire missions, indirect attacks, and if you've got some good terrain for trees/jungles/light buildings, make those pieces Light Full terrain so they block LoS but NOT direct fire with a sensor lock.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Yeah, its important to just rip the band-aid right off and use fire missions and sensor locks as soon as possible. They seem like advance rules, but are like 1/3rd of the attacks in the game.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://dp9forum.com/topic/26091-new-aller-3d-models-and-3d-printed-parts-previews/
Some cool pics of the new Northern tanks that'll be out soon. Resized for better scale like a few other things have been, and a more sane layout of weapons.
And I appreciate they're willing to talk about the printer, lots of places seem weirdly cagey like they have to hide that you can get good prints from a consumer grade printer like it's some industry secret.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dr.Tree and I threw down last Saturday, testing out a HGB scenario I'll be running the next con I attend (Millennium Con in 2024 in Temple Texas if I can't find another appropriate one beforehand).

https://yadzcb.friestman.net/br-hgb-20230812.html

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
That's quite the thrashing from the looks of it. Sounds like you have a good idea of how to tweak the scenario for the future though.

Also looks like that Jerboa got super lucky, that seems to be quite the results for 5+ GU and a bazooka. Was it loaded up with veteran and duelist upgrades or something, or was that just raw positioning/luck/orders?

The pic of that charguer versus the tank is just perfect by the way.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The Jerb got off Let Them Have It, so was swinging with three dice, and iirc rolled a 5,5,6. The Hovertank meanwhile only had 2 dice, though PI:3 Agile, because the Jerboa had an unobstructed shot from above thanks to its jetpack, and rolled something like 3,2. So MoS 5 on a DAM 7 weapon vs ARM 8, and it was an insta-crippling hit.

I was delighted that the tank barrel fit in its claw. It walked around the rest of the match swinging the turret like a cudgel.

There's also a few rules simplifications I want to make for a con game that we skipped because we both know the game reasonably well. Orders/Comms/SatUp/ECCM is a simple bonus for being in coherency at the start of an activation that gives you +1D6. And ECM/ECM+/ECCM is -1D6 on indirect attacks on friendlies within 6"(maybe 9).

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Slyphic posted:

The Jerb got off Let Them Have It, so was swinging with three dice, and iirc rolled a 5,5,6. The Hovertank meanwhile only had 2 dice, though PI:3 Agile, because the Jerboa had an unobstructed shot from above thanks to its jetpack, and rolled something like 3,2. So MoS 5 on a DAM 7 weapon vs ARM 8, and it was an insta-crippling hit.

Yeah that sounds like it would do it alright, ouch!

Slyphic posted:

I was delighted that the tank barrel fit in its claw. It walked around the rest of the match swinging the turret like a cudgel.

That's amazing :allears:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Models are painted, some terrain is collected, and tomorrow we'll be playing our first games. We're gonna start at 50tv and try to work up to a 100tv game. Any pointers or tips on how to run things smoothly? Any strange rules interactions that we should keep an eye out for?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

Any pointers or tips on how to run things smoothly? Any strange rules interactions that we should keep an eye out for?
Shouldn't be anything too weird for some low TV starter set polar models. I highly recommend clicking the 'Printable' button in Gear Grinder, expanding the weapon and unit traits list, and printing a copy out for each of you. And then just refer to it as necessary. I have to take a moment and think about the difference between SatUp and ECCM, I'm constantly getting the Evade action wrong (it's a reroll, not a bonus), and Armor Piercing calculation is awkward but unlikely to come up beyond the minimum 1 damage on MoS:0 or better with those models. Oh, and if you ever think you're rolling more than 1D6 vs secondary targets in an AoE attack, take a moment and reread that rule because you probably got something wrong; most of the bonuses only apply to the primary target of an attack.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I should note that we're not just playing with polar starter models. I'm adding in a sniper panther as we work up to 100tv, and he's playing as NuCoal and plans to bring some sandriders and/or GREL.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

We ended up playing 3 games, 2 at 50tv, and 1 at 100. We were messing up marginal hits and forgot some other things like firing from an elevated position, but for the most part, I think we had a good handle on things. We both had a great time, me especially so because I managed to win all three games, the last one on turn 4 after I had seriously considered conceding because it was getting late and I was getting whipped, but I played for my objectives and pulled them out.

One thing we weren't sure about: do the commander upgrades add CP or do you just get 1 no matter your rank plus however many converted SP you have?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

We were messing up marginal hits and forgot some other things like firing from an elevated position
I have to stop and think about whether you flip a coin on MoS:0 (incorrect) or DAM=ARM (this one) the first time it comes up each and every game. And there's so many modifier it's easy to lose track of them. That's why I made a quick ref sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7iPAHvZPyCaRrq6Yznl_FxWm4uzep7i/view?usp=sharing

PeterWeller posted:

One thing we weren't sure about : do the commander upgrades add CP or do you just get 1 no matter your rank plus however many converted SP you have?
Nope, you don't get extra CP for more expensive commanders. They improve your initiative rolls, and also allow that model to issue orders to other combat groups, not just its own. And also some stuff with airstrike tokens, but don't worry about that.

Glad to hear the games were fun.

I've been working on converting the utopian models by chopping up and filing and rearranging the pieces to be a shape I'm more inclined to actually paint.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Okay cool. That's what I thought. And flipping a coin on MOS 0 was exactly what we were doing wrong.

Much thanks for the reference sheet. I was googling for one earlier.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Completed a weekend project to design base labels for a few different sets of models, including HGB. The sides of hexes was easy. The sloped rounds gave me conniptions. Industria LT solid is the classic header font in the books HGB books, and also a nice tall font that works well with the horizontal space constraints of hex edges.

25mm hexes - 15mm x 3mm textbox, Industria LT solid @ 10pt, 12-13 characters max

40mm rounds - this one was a lot more complicated. I tried using online cone surface area calculators and some tutorials on designing wraparound labels for sloped cup packaging, but either the tutorials were missing steps, I was doing something wrong, or the tolerances at the 5mm scale were too finicky? I dunno, but I had to resort to trial and error to get the label to sit right.

120mm outer diameter, 114mm inner diameter, and I set a ring of text at 119.5mm diameter and the same font options above.

Worth the hassle, and my entire box of South, Talons, and CEF are all labeled now. I only had two minor mistakes, one label that went on slightly askew, and one where I smudged the toner ink in a letter but I mostly fixed it by scraping the toner off the white space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

4th ed RPG book just came out. There's some fantastic new art in it.

And with the release of the RPG, the embargo on info about the next Blitz faction, New Jerusalem, appears to be lifting.

Silhouettes of the SAC-005 and SAC-004.