Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Slyphic posted:

... I've never met a basing stickler yet anywhere in HGB...

I was going to become that person, but then DP9 released the Doppel minis.

I suggest all new folks invest in a Varis or some infantry. Starter boxes are a great way to start slogging it out in a ground war, but the game really shines in combined arms battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Yeah I think I'm being fussy about presentation - I come from AoS, KT and Malifaux background where everyone has a truckload of rules as well (tho those tend to be more unit specific) so this might be the case of me being unfamiliar with the system. It will probably turn out half of the base rules never gets used in game anyway

Most of the variants and rules become as easy to parse as banners and champions in AoS.

HGB has the historical issue where you can look at possible choices and see a wall of an excel spreadsheet and think it insurmountable, but all weapons, upgrades, and traits are rather universal. Once you just rip off the band-aid and start playing some games it becomes more obvious. Start with simple games and don't worry about getting orders and electronic warfare mastered off the bat.

I don't have a simple 125 list for my NuCoal (a quirk of the faction), but I swear list building gets easy.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

My buddy and I are getting into this. We each ordered one of the two player starters with hopes of luring in more friends with offers of pre-made forces. I got War for Terra Nova and plan on running the North. Can you all give me advice on what to do with my starting gears and list building in general?

Difficult to give a satisfying answer to this. I wouldn't worry too much about building what is best, only build a max of two for any variant, and start small. Small point games are good for getting your head list building, you can't do everything at 50 points. The games will not be very representative of how larger point games play out, but it will get you to respect the limitations you should expect from a singular combat group. There are a lot of options in HG and it will feel overwhelming.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Yeah, its important to just rip the band-aid right off and use fire missions and sensor locks as soon as possible. They seem like advance rules, but are like 1/3rd of the attacks in the game.