Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My buddy and I are getting into this. We each ordered one of the two player starters with hopes of luring in more friends with offers of pre-made forces. I got War for Terra Nova and plan on running the North. Can you all give me advice on what to do with my starting gears and list building in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Thanks for the advice, y'all!

We're planning on starting out with some 50TV games to get a handle on things before expanding to 100TV and hanging around there for a time while we build up and learn how to play different options.

I was thinking for my first foray, I'd just spam 4 hunters with some basic upgrades and a grizzly and cheetah.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Solid plan. For just getting to grips with the system, I'd suggest ignoring orders and ECM the very first game, just get a feel for fire and movement.

Ahh, okay. So maybe drop the cheetah for a jag?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Models are painted, some terrain is collected, and tomorrow we'll be playing our first games. We're gonna start at 50tv and try to work up to a 100tv game. Any pointers or tips on how to run things smoothly? Any strange rules interactions that we should keep an eye out for?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I should note that we're not just playing with polar starter models. I'm adding in a sniper panther as we work up to 100tv, and he's playing as NuCoal and plans to bring some sandriders and/or GREL.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

We ended up playing 3 games, 2 at 50tv, and 1 at 100. We were messing up marginal hits and forgot some other things like firing from an elevated position, but for the most part, I think we had a good handle on things. We both had a great time, me especially so because I managed to win all three games, the last one on turn 4 after I had seriously considered conceding because it was getting late and I was getting whipped, but I played for my objectives and pulled them out.

One thing we weren't sure about: do the commander upgrades add CP or do you just get 1 no matter your rank plus however many converted SP you have?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Okay cool. That's what I thought. And flipping a coin on MOS 0 was exactly what we were doing wrong.

Much thanks for the reference sheet. I was googling for one earlier.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It's all so very broad stroke that I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've read most of the entries, and Fivemarks looks to have hit the nail on the head. It's about as engaged with the specifics of the faiths involved as Gundam 00 got.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Painting wise, I've got 2 of 6 of my chopped up and remixed Utopian Armigers done. Trying something wildly different than my usual style here. I wanted a retro space opera-y look, bright and alien, avoiding my usual mundane drab and grimy palette. It's really matte which is throwing off photos but I think it works. Base scale is off a smidge, but eh...

This dude looks great. I like the strong later seasons of Robotech vibes in the color scheme.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slyphic posted:

New camera(phone) and my now pictures suck a lot less rear end. Got a game in with Dr. Tree and while I lost and was tabled, it was actually a pretty close affair in VP. MVP was that Fusilier (the brown tank), scoring 3 consecutive and important kill shots.

I love this city terrain. Is it from Dropship Commander?

I bought a bunch of N scale buildings for my table, and I just got a pair of Leopards with which to climb them. I'm hyped to try them out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh wow. That is a good deal. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Robert always kicks me back a bunch of the shipping charge on the DP9 site.