Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

LLSix posted:

You will rue this day wrong-voters :argh:
Rue, I say!
Rueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :v:

There's always next week. Unless there's something else that's more important that needs fixing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Let's Play: Yes, Your Grace - (03) Week One Summary

Council Meeting

Welcome back, everyone. Now that you've had time to think about these matters we should open them up for discussion. The previous council members were composed of the local nobles throughout the land, but we had to change things due to the sheer amount of embezzlement, bribery and other activities that were taking place. You all know this already as most of you were there for their executions.

I have taken it upon myself to recruit respected people from within the city and from the various towns and villages in the land who want to see this kingdom prosper and grow for its people, instead of people who are power-hungry and who are only after filling up their own treasuries. This kingdom needs people who can give professional opinions and sage advice on how we can make this kingdom prosper and help defend it from those who wish us harm. Some of you may know each other but you have all been assigned pseudonyms for now for your safety. These records will be made public and although the previous council members' families have sworn their loyalties, there may still be one or two hot-headed kin who want to enact a form of revenge.

As you all know, our resources have been squandered and due to a lot of false promises, we have a lot of buildings that are in serious need of repairs. I have enlisted a foreman who will inspect buildings due for repair and send me an estimate of how much it will cost to repair them. I have taken the liberty of preparing a report of their preliminary estimates alongside our projected losses if we don't start work immediately.

PurpleXVI: Fix Market Stall. The sooner we get an investment happening, the faster it'll pay off. Fix Pantry Roof. A constant drain on our resources is going to hurt us in the long run.

Bregor: Repair the pantry roof since we need resources for, well, living.

Black Robe: Fix the pantry and the market stall, we need resources.

NeoRonTheNeuron: Use supplies to fix the pantry, invest gold to fix the marketplace.

sullat: Fix the pantry sure

jkq: Fix Pantry Roof, get rid of a drain on the kingdom's resources. Fix Market Stall, gain more resources over time.

BraveLittleToaster: Fix the pantry roof as well, that's important.

I can hear you all murmuring in agreement, is there anyone who opposes this? I see a look of concern on your face LLSix.

LLSix: We should do all the upgrades. We can afford all of them, and they're all good profit for the cost. The only one I'm not sure about is the theater, but it's only one year's taxes and it removes a penalty to a resource we don't have a reliable way to raise. Also, contentment influences our taxes, so we don't want that going down. All the upgrades, pantry, theater and stall

NeoRonTheNeuron: I don't think we should fix the theatre yet. We'd be very low on gold after; perhaps too low for the next round of dilemmas.

Does anyone else have anything to add? We shall bring this matter up again in next week's council meeting. It will be listed again alongside any other buildings for repair that are brought to my attention. Today's audience with the King brought up several issues that need addressing. King Eryk took it upon himself to resolve a fanciful tale of monsters attacking a nearby village by sending our only general. Fortunately, the Kingdom is quiet right now so we can afford to send the general on fanciful adventures. He is new after all and needs to learn the lay of the land. But we do need to be careful in the future if things become busier as General Stan cannot be everywhere at once.

There are a couple of local matters which we need to address and these will affect our resources. One of the local peasants approached the King and asked him to finance his son's wedding ceremony. He is asking for five gold and five supplies so he can impress his daughter-in-law's family and from the sounds of it, he won't be returning any of these resources back to us.

BraveLittleToaster: Give our blessing, that should be good enough for that lot.

NeoRonTheNeuron: do not give wedding gold/supplies

LLSix: Give our blessing. This dude is asking for almost a full years worth of supply for a single party. Is he planning to invite elephants? No, just no.

Bregor: We can't be paying for every ding-dang wedding in our kingdom!

jkq: Just give our blessing, the kingdom can't pay for weddings given its current status.

BlackRobe: Bless the wedding, it's not our duty to pay for parties

sullat: Bless the wedding, that's some bridezilla

From the murmurs and nods of your heads I can see that this decision is unanimous. We shall give our blessing and no more. The other issue concerns a peasant from a different village. He is asking for seven gold to finance the building of an inn. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

sullat: Build the inn that drunk needs a new place to drink

jkq: Finance the inn, developing the kingdom is good.

PurpleXVI: Build the Inn. Investments are important. Also we can take Dusty there and many people can pet him.

Bregor: Finance the inn, it's going to be the first stop for so many adventures!

LLSix: Finance the peasant's inn. The difference between the wedding and the inn is that inns are economic infrastructure, providing a place for merchants and other travelers, like our tax collector and soldiers to stay.

Black Robe: We can tax it later.

NeoRonTheNeuron: Give gold to build the inn

It seems like this matter is settled. There is one more minor issue that we need to talk about. The dungeons were recently damaged due to adverse weather and we have now gone from three jail cells to one. The sole jail cell is currently occupied by a drunken lout who couldn't pay his tab. He is currently in the cells to sober up and learn a valuable lesson. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue if we had the room but if something more serious was to take place we wouldn't have anywhere to hold the person responsible. Should we pardon the young lout in the advent of a potential crisis or should he serve the time that he was given?

Bregor: Keep the criminal locked up since he lied right off the bat. Honesty is the best policy.

STABASS: Pardon the prisoner. He's not going to be paying off his tab in there.

sullat: Are we running a debtor's prison?

jkq: Pardon the prisoner, it was only a minor crime, and the king is kind.

NeoRonTheNeuron: pardon the prisoner

Black Robe: Leave the dude locked up, he's only going to do something dumb and end up right back in there anyway

Slaan: The public defender in me says pardon him.

wedgekree: Pardon peasant. While he's in lockup we have to A) Feed him and B) Guard him. A pardoned petty criminal will tell others about our benevolence.

BraveLittleToaster: Finance the peasant's inn. Let's encourage inns aplenty whenever the opportunity rises

LLSix: Keep him locked up. No way to tell what impact either choice will have. I suspect that pardoning him will cost us contentment with no upside, but who knows. Whichever way this shakes out is fine with me, but I had to pick something.

This seems to be an issue of some debate. The majority of votes are in favour of pardoning the prisoner. The matters for this week are now concluded, I shall inform the King of how to proceed at his earliest convenience.

Thank you for your patience gentlemen. The matters have been discussed and decisions have been made. You have my blessing for the wedding, but I won't help. The kingdom has more important matters at hand. Wish your daughter the best from me.

You skimp us a little gold? Shouldn't the King support his people in the hard times?! Pff, I can't feed my guests with the 'King's Blessing'...

As for your inn, take this gold. Make it the best inn around!

Oh, we surely will! Thank you, Your Grace!

It's time that I gave the good news to the guest in the dungeon. Are you sure that this is the correct decision, Audry?

Yes, Your Grace!

You've had enough. I hope you learned your lesson. you may leave.

What?! Really? The gods have truly chosen me! I will go and spread their wisdom! Thank you, Your Grace. Our paths will cross again. I can feel it!

I'm going to head to my chambers to take advantage of this time for some peace and quiet. It hasn't been a busy week but I'm sure that will change as the weeks go by. Before I do, there's just one more task that I need to perform.

Meow

Ooof! What's that smell! Is that you, Dusty?

Mrrr!

Well, it wasn't me!

End Of Week One!

We now have access to the archives. These are records of anything of interest that is happening in the kingdom, information on people of note that we have met and summaries of incidents that have already been resolved. I will add any new entries to the end-of-week summaries.

Archives

Monsters

Flood Damages

New Inn for the Village

Lorsulia

Asalia

Cedani

Aurelea

Help with a Wedding

Divine Intervention

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 19, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I hope that you don't mind if I use your names in the updates, if it's an issue then please let me know and I'll leave them out or amend any that I've already done. Also, feel free to role-play with future votes if you want to, I was tempted to add some things but I thought it would be unfair to force characterisations on people who want to do their own. I'll work on the next proper update soon and I'll have something up at some point next week, hopefully.

I did miscount the votes. There were three votes to keep the prisoner locked up, not two. Not that it changes the outcomes but I'd still like to acknowledge it. I'll be more vigilant in the future.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

The previous council members were composed of the local nobles throughout the land, but we had to change things due to the sheer amount of embezzlement, bribery and other activities that were taking place. You all know this already as most of you were there for their executions.

:yeshaha::thermidor:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That was a fun update, thanks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, looking forward to how this goes.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I hope that you don't mind if I use your names in the updates, if it's an issue then please let me know and I'll leave them out or amend any that I've already done. Also, feel free to role-play with future votes if you want to, I was tempted to add some things but I thought it would be unfair to force characterisations on people who want to do their own.

This is great! Please roll with it and I'm sure the voting responses will get even better :eng101:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Quackles posted:

Ooh, looking forward to how this goes.

Surely it won't go as bad as Ankist has gone under the Snakes :argh:

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

I hope that you don't mind if I use your names in the updates.
Pleasantly surprised! This makes me more excited to follow along. :)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Slaan posted:

Surely it won't go as bad as Ankist has gone under the Snakes :argh:

Don't worry, we'll get a second chance when The Queen's Dilemma comes out :argh:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! Had a fun time reading this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Surely our decisions will not cause this kingdom to implode horribly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes, your grace.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

If they do, we already know what will happen:

The previous council members were composed of the local nobles throughout the land, but we had to change things due to the sheer amount of embezzlement, bribery and other activities that were taking place. You all know this already as most of you were there for their executions.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Yes, Your Grace - (04)

Your Grace, no sign of the monsters. We did stumble upon these bandits, though. They were pillaging the village.

Red head, sharp teeth...

A Crest of Radovia?! I thought you could only find them in books and old manuscripts!

Well, seems like we have one right here too. Tell me... Is it true that you're from Radovia?

Your man is right. Radovia is my home. And soon yours too, ha!

What were you and your men doing near the village?

We're just making a living. One man might call it plunder, I would call it... Hard work.

Do you have a king? Or are you just a barbaric thief?

We are a free people. We don't bow to kings or lords.

Bold words for someone trespassing in another country. Bold and stupid. Your Grace, we can't allow barbarians to stalk our lands. Plundering, and killing innocent men? There is no question that justice needs to be dealt to this one.

Keep him detained for now, we will decide what to do with him later!

What do you make of this, Audry?

Radovians? Here? How would they get through the mountains? Why would they threaten a war?

That's a lot of questions, but I need answers, Audry.

Forgive me, Your Grace. I'm just puzzled. It might be reasonable to start thinking about renewing some old treaties. Talk to old friend, see who could give us a hand. With our current resources, a war would bring certain defeat. I will make some preparations.

I bring news, Father. Asalia sneaked out at night last week! I ran into her while she was going back to her chamber, all laughing and a little tipsy, I think! She wouldn't say where she'd been, but Cedani, as thick as she is, spilled everything to me in the morning. Those two chit-chat all the time. They think I don't realise.

Thick? Don't speak ill of your sister! What's got into you, Lorsulia?

Asalia sneaks out to some wedding, gets all drunk, but I'm the bad one all of a sudden?!

I'd better talk to Asalia about this. You girls are going to drive me mad one day!

Your Grace, my dear son is nowhere to be found. Yes... a really daft little boy, but still, he is my son. I ask you to help us find him, Your Grace. Is there a chance you could do so?

I need to talk with my advisor to see if we can spare either money or manpower. Please wait in the gallery and I will inform you of my decision soon.

My name is Etton - I'm the Lord of Branca, Your Grace. I will be as straightforward as possible. Someone has kidnapped my daughter, and they expect me to pay 12 gold to get her back. The thing is... I tracked them down and I know where they are keeping her. I've planned everything out, I just need your general to help me take her back. Or, I could just pay the ransom. Either way, I will need your help, Your Grace.

I will see what I can do, Lord Etton. I need to consult my advisor before I make a decision, I will give you a decision as soon as I am able to. Please make yourself at home until I have made a decision.

Your Grace, I fear for my life. I think someone is trying to get me.

What's going on?

I think... I think someone is following me. They want me dead...

Who's 'they'?

I don't know! How would I know? I haven't done anything, right? I better be going...

Well now... What was that all about? It's time to stretch my legs, Audry isn't around which means that I will be able to walk around the castle without an entourage! He means well but sometimes it's nice to have some time on my own. I need to speak to Asalia right now! I hope that the walk to the gardens will calm my current mood.

Yes, Father?

I've heard there was quite a fine wedding in the village just outside our walls.

It wasn't bad, but I've heard it could have been even better if my father was a bit less stingy...

Sounds as if they had the honor of a royal guest!

No... Of course not! I've heard people say, is all.

Come on now, I know about the wedding. Lorsulia told me what happened.

How would she know anyway? Oh, of course... Cedani...

Cedani... I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you.

You have no need to worry, nothing will happpen.

Do you know what's out there? What could have happened if someone found a princess by herself in a village? All the drunkards, thugs...

Nothing happened, Father! I was... dressed differently. I was careful, I'm not stupid. I know what I'm doing. All I wanted was a little fun.

Lorsulia said you got drunk?

That's a lie! I know what I'm doing, I can take care of myself! How many times? Ugh. Lorsulia. Since she turned thirteen, she thinks you will make her marry some fat, dumb prince and send her off to another castle. If she intends to be such a lousy rat, maybe it would be for the best.

Is that why she's been acting up lately?

I suppose so? It doesn't change the fact that she's just infuriating.

And it doesn't change the fact that you didn't stop with the name calling! You are confined to the castle! I will speak to your mother on these matters and we will work out a suitable punishment.

Your Grace.

I will be on my way. Keep up the good work, Stan.

Yes, Your Grace.

This gate looks very old. Anyone with some strength could probably just barge through it. Generals and Hunters sometimes come to the courtyard to practice swordsmanship. A pile of logs and a couple of barrels, a piece of fabric covering a hole in the roof... This place could do with a little tidying up.

Oh, it's you.

Asalia told me why you might be feeling a bit down recently.

Oh, and why is that?

Tradition says a girl your age needs a husband, but I promise you won't have to marry a stranger. We will make sure we know the prince well before the wedding.

Mhm.... Time will show.

I will check on you later.

Mhm.

The only place where I need to be right now is with my love, Aurelea. I'm not looking forward to this conversation.

Darling?

Radovians have come to Davern. One of their bandits was brought to the castle.

Radovians?! That can't be right... Do you think it's about your... our promise?

It might be. What do you think?

Thirteen years ago, we promised our unborn child's hand to a thug.

Beyran, wasn't it?

Does it matter? After thirteen years, a Radovian shows up in our castle.

I'll be damned...

Yes. Lorsulia will soon become a woman, and we will need to find her a husband.

And Beyran, the villain, will arrive to make me fulfil my promise. How could we have promised our daughter's hand to a Radovian?

With a knife to my throat, I'm not sure what else we could have done. To think our daughter will marry some barbaric thug, though... We can't let this happen, Eryk.

Don't worry, we will solve this. Do you remember the curse?

I don't even want to think about this... Let's just hope the curse is nothing but a hoax, and see how things with the thug turn out.

What are we going to do?

If Beyran ever shows up to claim our daughter's hand, hopefully no one will believe him.

We just need to play stupid...

Unless... he shows up with an army...

Don't be silly now. How could a commmoner afford an army? Even we can't.

How could Radovians get to Davern? Anything seems possible at this stage.

How are you holding up?

I-I don't know... It's so unreal... Marry a prince, a lord even... Yes. But let her marry a thug? We can't do this...

It will be fine. I won't let them take her away.

Eryk... I am terrified.

I can handle this.

Fine. I will stay here.

Family Matters

We need to talk about Asalia.

Cedani told me what happened this morning at the breakfast table.

She doesn't think that what she did was wrong. She can't keep sneaking out and putting herself in danger like that.

What do you intend to do?

I have already confined her to the castle but she still needs to face some consequences for her actions. Should we Ban her from visiting the market, playing games or from horse riding?

Council Meeting

Thank you, everyone, for dropping what you were doing and coming to this emergency council meeting. I know that we had already planned to meet this evening but these matters couldn't wait. You all know about Radovia, our neighbours. The mountain pathways are treacherous but I'm sure that you've all heard of them in some way, either news from passing tradesmen or the wild stories that have been passed down from our ancestors. They are a savage people who live in a savage land and they have openly attacked one of our villages. The King is visibly shaken by the news of all of this and we may need to start preparing for war. To be honest with you all, the King seemed rather shaken before we even heard the news. Stan the General managed to take one of their force captive and was able to bring him back to the castle alive. I thought that King Eryk was about to vomit as soon as he saw the prisoner.

We need to make a decision about what to do about this Radovian prisoner. We currently have him detained but he can't stay chained up for much longer, we either need to lock him up or get rid of him in one way or another. We could execute the prisoner, which is a fitting punishment after he and his men attacked one of our villages. We can also throw him into the dungeon, he deserves a worse fate but there's always a chance that we can get more information out of him by talking to him or with other methods... Or we can be merciful, it may be abhorrent to some of you to let this barbarian go but we may be able to open communications between their people and our own.

We also seem to have a spate of missing children lately. A peasant has approached the King and asked for his help in locating his son. We can offer him 7 gold to help in his search or we could send Stan the General out to track him down but he will be gone for two weeks. Or we could just send him on his way, but he looked so desperate he would probably end up paying us to help him.

Lord Etton has graced us with his visit, but unfortunately, it's not a happy one. His daughter has been kidnapped and the bandits are demanding a ransom. Lord Etton has tracked down the bandits and we could send Stan the General on a rescue mission, which means that he will be gone for two weeks or we can pay the ransom of 12 gold pieces. We can refuse Lord Etton and send him on his way, but in doing so it may harm the King's friendship with him in the long run.

The only other business left to discuss is the refurbishment of the theatre. We can either repair it now if we have the resources to spare or we can leave it for now. We do have some time to spare but we will need to do something about it soon.

I will now open the room up for discussion.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 22, 2024

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
If the king is truly concerned about war, it would be best that we work to strengthen the bonds between the government and the people. Having all the money and supplies in the world will do nothing if the people won't stand with us, and it would help prevent people from turning against us as well.

With the Radovian prisoner, I do not believe releasing him would be wise as for the moment, he is nothing more than a bandit. Execution, on the other hand, would take time and could potentially send the wrong message to the Radovian people if he turns out to be more important than we realize. Thus, I believe we should imprison him. Not only is it safer, any information he has could be something we need at the moment. We can always choose to execute him later.

Now for the cases of the missing children. I do not believe sending the petitioners away without aid is a wise thing. However, we must take one thing into account. Lord Etton has given us two options to help save his daughter; paying the ransom or sending General Stan to aid him in fighting the kidnappers. The peasant, whose name is unknown, (we really should start taking notes about that, it sounds so rude to call them 'peasant',) only asked for the aid of our general.

Attempting a raid on the kidnappers is far too dangerous; it could result in the lady being killed, even with General Stan's aid. So I recommend paying the ransom. This would also leave us free to send General Stan to help find the missing child. I am aware that there is a difference of 5 gold between these options, but we know for certain that paying would sway the kidnappers. We don't know the trouble the boy has gotten into, and money may be of no help at all.

Unfortunately, we would have to leave the theater for now as helping either of them using money and repairing the theater would leave us broke or not having enough funds to repair it. We can look into that at a later week.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
To the dungeons. I am afraid that if we release the prisoner he will report on our lack of defenses and bring down even more banditry upon us, or worse. An execution could also create a worse reprisal in the future. Just hold him for info for now.

Send him on his way. I feel for this peasant but we can't use the realm's military or gold for one child. If we didn't have Lord Etton's issue it would be easier to send the General, but we do, unfortunately, have larger issues

Send the General for Lord Etton. We can't negotiate with terrorists. If we pay the ransom then more and more bandits and others will attempt to kidnap the children of our nobles. We need to deal with this harshly, not by giving into their demands.

Repair the Theatre. We need a happy populace at this critical time.

No Horses Princess- They are dangerous anyways :colbert:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 2, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Royal duty: fulfilled

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Execute The penalty for brigandage is death, the people want to see justice.

Send him on his way I'm sure the peasant kid is fine

Send the General for Lord Etton We need to support our nobles in these times so they support us in the future

Repair the Theatre. Until the economy recovers and our defenses are repaired we can't really afford luxuries.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I keep trying to create a new gif for the cat petting but there seems to be a weird fault with the animation when it come to converting it. It may be the site that I'm using but it did work the first time around. I've recorded several videos at different points but I get the same fault and I've not encountered it with any other of the gifs that I've created.

I'll try to find something else to use but everything else that I've found so far that's free hasn't had the editing tools that I need.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

-Ban the Princess from Horse Riding. If we deny her all access to the outside world, it'll just romanticize it more as a forbidden pleasure, and she can demonstrably sneak out on her own unless we keep her under constant guard. Horse riding is an indulgence we can more easily regulate while still making our point. We can at least keep the stables under justifiable watch as a matter of course, and if she does sneak out, she won't enjoy it so much if she has to trudge through the weeds to get very far.

-Throw the prisoner in the Dungeon. We can imprison him and THEN execute him, but we can't do the reverse. If we keep him alive, he might divulge some useful
information, and we are currently at an alarming info deficit regarding the disposition of the enemy forces or how the hell they got here.

-Give the peasant 7 Gold to find their kid. Not paying for some rando's lavish wedding is one thing, but not paying for this would just come off as needlessly callous. We can afford to finance a search party.

-Send General Stan to retrieve Lord Etton's daughter. Paying the ransom is just negotiating with terrorists, and we should set an example that this sort of behavior will be rewarded with cold steel rather than gold. It certainly might give pause to anyone in the future thinking to exploit US through abducting our daughter.

-Skip repairing the Theater for now. The populace is not that discontented at the moment, it can wait another week for us to build up a little more of a surplus.

edited to add Princess choice.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ban the princess from visiting the market. (I think people missed that choice earlier in the post.) She needs to learn to stay put while things are so unsettled.

Put the prisoner in the dungeons for now. Let's keep our options open. Depending on how cooperative he is, we can either execute him or let him go later.

Give the peasant some money to find his child. The royal kids are immensely annoying but I'm sure we'd be devastated if any of them were missing.

Send the general to help his lordship. He has a plan, let's hope it's a good one.

Leave the theatre for now, we'll deal with it when there isn't a crisis going on or when we've got enough spare cash that it doesn't matter.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Imprison the raider, maybe we can find a use for him later.

Ban the princess from the market.

Send Stan to find the peasant's child, the money wasn't guaranteed to work there.

Pay the ransom for Lord Etton's child, we know the money will solve the problem.

Leave the theater alone for now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Asterite34 posted:

-Ban the Princess from Horse Riding. If we deny her all access to the outside world, it'll just romanticize it more as a forbidden pleasure, and she can demonstrably sneak out on her own unless we keep her under constant guard. Horse riding is an indulgence we can more easily regulate while still making our point. We can at least keep the stables under justifiable watch as a matter of course, and if she does sneak out, she won't enjoy it so much if she has to trudge through the weeds to get very far.

-Throw the prisoner in the Dungeon. We can imprison him and THEN execute him, but we can't do the reverse. If we keep him alive, he might divulge some useful
information, and we are currently at an alarming info deficit regarding the disposition of the enemy forces or how the hell they got here.

-Give the peasant 7 Gold to find their kid. Not paying for some rando's lavish wedding is one thing, but not paying for this would just come off as needlessly callous. We can afford to finance a search party.

-Send General Stan to retrieve Lord Etton's daughter. Paying the ransom is just negotiating with terrorists, and we should set an example that this sort of behavior will be rewarded with cold steel rather than gold. It certainly might give pause to anyone in the future thinking to exploit US through abducting our daughter.

-Skip repairing the Theater for now. The populace is not that discontented at the moment, it can wait another week for us to build up a little more of a surplus.

Voting this

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Send Stan to find the peasant's child, the money wasn't guaranteed to work there.

Pay the ransom for Lord Etton's child, we know the money will solve the problem.

This

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Agree

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Agreed on this one.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Ban the princess from horse riding, so if she gets it into her idiot whimsical head to run away from home at least we have a chance of catching her before she gets too far.

I'm assuming the game isn't so clever as to let us release the prisoner and have him secretly followed to see who he reports to, so go to jail, go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Alas, we can only send the General to one place, so 7 gold it is. Hopefully this pays off with more info than that, but priority should definitely be to the child.

We do not negotiate with terrorists, even if these "terrorists" turn out to be some poor sod who eloped with one of my subject's daughters and then said something stupid in the heat of the moment afterward. If we are eventually going to war to keep our daughter from getting pawned off to keep the peace our troops will need the practice and the General is the best man to lead them.

The theater can wait. The arts could use patronage, but not from us as a patron given the other priorities we have at the moment--if the people really want to be entertained, I'm sure some enterprising entrepreneur would be more than happy to provide.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sorry I'm late, my horse got stuck in traffic.

Let's imprison the bandit. We can execute him later if need be.

For the peasant, money to help his search might be ideal, so that we can send the General to rescue the Lord's kid.

But let's hold off on fixing the theater for now.

And I'd say ban the princess from horsing around... er, horse riding.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Taxes formula seems to be:
- gold income = 3 + happiness/2
- supplies income = happiness/2

Got this from 3 of the screenshots where (16 happiness -> 11, 8. 14 happiness -> 10, 7. 12 happiness -> 9, 6).

The theater is decently important. We would run out of gold doing this, but it seems like the cost of dilemmas isn't too big each week.
The General can only be allocated once, and sadly, costs 9 gold per session. It's better to use him on the most costly dilemma, the Lord. I think we have the advantage of seeing all the dilemmas at once because a player could be tricked into sending him to help the peasant.

Princess: No horses
Bandit: Imprison
Peasant: Use 7 Gold
Lord: Send General
Theater: Fix now with 10 Gold

No gold left, but we'll hopefully sustain a happy, taxpaying populace.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Throw the Radovian in prison. We should continue to question him, discuss their intent and their goals, and hopefully over time build up trust with the captive. An eye for an eye makes the world blind, so they say.

Give seven gold to the peasant. I can think of no more urgent issue than a missing child, and if we can rescue the boy and shed some light on the other cases of children gone missing, so much the better.

Send Stan the General to deal with the bandits. We must keep our relationships with the lords of our land very close, and along with the peasant’s case this sounds very urgent.

Leave the theater be for now. We must be economical with our gold, and as everyone has said this is a high amount of petitioners. There are more important things to deal with.

Do not punish your daughters. Sit with them. Ask how they feel. Do not command. They need a father, not a king… respectively of course!

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Tis a shame we can't force that Radovian to play the part of the fool in the upcoming play...I do so love the arts.

Your Grace, my votes are as follows:

If we cannot turn the Radovian into cheap comedy, then he may as well entertain us in the dungeons. Not that I'm stepping foot in there. All that mildew!

Use the gold to retrieve the peasant's child. The thought of that poor dear being held captive by brigands brings a tear to my eye.

Send the General to help Lord Etton, but let it be known that I do not care for Lord Etton in the slightest. I haven't forgotten what he did at my Midsummer party!

I fear that the others would break into an argument if I suggested it, so I suppose for now do not pay to repair the theatre. With all due respect, my Grace, if you would let me put on a show in the marketplace, that would likely do something to raise folks' spirits.

As for your daughter, I agree with Bregor. Can you not talk to her, your Grace? If an action must be chosen, then ban her from horse riding. I once got so upset with my father, I had nearly reached the next town on my lovely horse Tempest. Let us all not forget what it was like to be young and impetuous.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Heads up:

https://twitter.com/BraveAtNight/status/1675904231499243520

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ban the princess from the markets since it might convince her to actually take the punishment seriously

pay for the theater so that the princess gets mad FOMO

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It seems like the voting is winding down and each option has a clear winner. I need to work out what would happen in the event of a tie or a losing state, just in case.

These are the results from the council meeting:

No Market 5
No Games
No Horses 8
Do Not Punish 1 (Unfortunately, we can only pick one of the above three options)

Imprison 14
Execute 1
Mercy

Give Money 9
Send General 4
Nothing 2

Pay Ransom 4
Send General 11
Nothing

Theatre 5
No Theatre 11

--------

I'll work on the next update and will hopefully have something up within the next few days.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

The peasant, whose name is unknown, (we really should start taking notes about that, it sounds so rude to call them 'peasant',) only asked for the aid of our general.

The game just labels these people as 'Peasant'. If any of you want to start giving these people names then I'm up for suggestions. I can always change some of the names retroactively if need be.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

The game just labels these people as 'Peasant'. If any of you want to start giving these people names then I'm up for suggestions. I can always change some of the names retroactively if need be.

No, it was just an in-character comment since no names were given. Feel free to ignore stuff like that from me!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

No, it was just an in-character comment since no names were given. Feel free to ignore stuff like that from me!

It's all good. I get it now, my mind was focused on that comment and it got a cog or two whirring in my head.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've started work on the next update and while doing so I've noticed that I had forgotten to add this image to the most recent update:

I should hopefully have the next update ready on Friday.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Yes, Your Grace - (05) Week Two Summary

Minutes taken from the second meeting of the council.

Let's open up by discussing why I've called this emergency meeting in the first place.

Quackles: Sorry I'm late, my horse got stuck in traffic.

That's quite alright, this isn't our agreed-upon meeting time and you have taken time out of your busy morning to attend this meeting. All of your efforts will be noted and we will try to compensate anyone for any losses during peak business hours. That may take some time as the treasury is very bare at this moment, but I will provide you all with forms at the end of the meeting and we will work something out in the future. Now then, what should we do about this Radovian?

SimplyUnknown1: With the Radovian prisoner, I do not believe releasing him would be wise as for the moment, he is nothing more than a bandit. Execution, on the other hand, would take time and could potentially send the wrong message to the Radovian people if he turns out to be more important than we realize. Thus, I believe we should imprison him. Not only is it safer, any information he has could be something we need at the moment. We can always choose to execute him later.

Asterite34: We can imprison him and THEN execute him, but we can't do the reverse. If we keep him alive, he might divulge some useful information, and we are currently at an alarming info deficit regarding the disposition of the enemy forces or how the hell they got here.

Slaan I am afraid that if we release the prisoner he will report on our lack of defenses and bring down even more banditry upon us, or worse. An execution could also create a worse reprisal in the future. Just hold him for info for now.

sullat: The penalty for brigandage is death, the people want to see justice.

I'm glad that we kicked that drunkard out of the cell, otherwise, we'd have nowhere to keep the Radovian. Most people are in agreement that we should lock him up for the time being. Let's move on to this peasant whose child is missing. What are your opinions on this matter?

dotchan: Alas, we can only send the General to one place, so 7 gold it is. Hopefully this pays off with more info than that, but priority should definitely be to the child.

Bregor: Give seven gold to the peasant. I can think of no more urgent issue than a missing child, and if we can rescue the boy and shed some light on the other cases of children gone missing, so much the better.

Kobanya: Use the gold to retrieve the peasant's child. The thought of that poor dear being held captive by brigands brings a tear to my eye.

sullat: Send him on his way I'm sure the peasant kid is fine.

Black Robe: Give the peasant some money to find his child. The royal kids are immensely annoying but I'm sure we'd be devastated if any of them were missing.

Slaan Send him on his way. I feel for this peasant but we can't use the realm's military or gold for one child. If we didn't have Lord Etton's issue it would be easier to send the General, but we do, unfortunately, have larger issues

Quackles: For the peasant, money to help his search might be ideal, so that we can send the General to rescue the Lord's kid.

SimplyUnknown1: I do not believe sending the petitioners away without aid is a wise thing. However, we must take one thing into account. Lord Etton has given us two options to help save his daughter; paying the ransom or sending General Stan to aid him in fighting the kidnappers. The peasant, whose name is unknown, (we really should start taking notes about that, it sounds so rude to call them 'peasant',) only asked for the aid of our general.

Attempting a raid on the kidnappers is far too dangerous; it could result in the lady being killed, even with General Stan's aid. So I recommend paying the ransom. This would also leave us free to send General Stan to help find the missing child. I am aware that there is a difference of 5 gold between these options, but we know for certain that paying would sway the kidnappers. We don't know the trouble the boy has gotten into, and money may be of no help at all.

We seem to be muddying the waters with both children at once. I'll tell the King to offer the peasant seven gold pieces. Does anyone else have further thoughts on Lord Etton and his child?

Slaan: Send the General for Lord Etton. We can't negotiate with terrorists. If we pay the ransom then more and more bandits and others will attempt to kidnap the children of our nobles. We need to deal with this harshly, not by giving into their demands.

Bregor: Send Stan the General to deal with the bandits. We must keep our relationships with the lords of our land very close, and along with the peasant’s case this sounds very urgent.

dotchan: We do not negotiate with terrorists, even if these "terrorists" turn out to be some poor sod who eloped with one of my subject's daughters and then said something stupid in the heat of the moment afterward. If we are eventually going to war to keep our daughter from getting pawned off to keep the peace our troops will need the practice and the General is the best man to lead them.

I will send Stan the General to Lord Etton's estate as soon as the King gives the command. I hope that he finds that poor child alive and unharmed. Now that those matters are settled, we must discuss repairs on the theatre.

NeoRonTheNeuron: Fix it now. The theater is decently important. We would run out of gold doing this, but it seems like the cost of dilemmas isn't too big each week.

Kobanya: I fear that the others would break into an argument if I suggested it, so I suppose for now do not pay to repair the theatre. With all due respect, my Grace, if you would let me put on a show in the marketplace, that would likely do something to raise folks' spirits.

PurpleXVI: Leave the theater alone for now.

Black Robe: Leave the theatre for now, we'll deal with it when there isn't a crisis going on or when we've got enough spare cash that it doesn't matter.

sullat: Repair the Theatre. Until the economy recovers and our defenses are repaired we can't really afford luxuries.

Black Robe: Leave the theatre for now, we'll deal with it when there isn't a crisis going on or when we've got enough spare cash that it doesn't matter.

Bregor: Leave the theater be for now. We must be economical with our gold, and as everyone has said this is a high amount of petitioners. There are more important things to deal with.

I've heard enough for now! This is a topic with much debate but a decision needs to be made otherwise we will be here all day. The majority of people are in favour of leaving the repairs for another week and that is what we are going to do. Thank you for your time! We shall meet again next week at the usual time unless another emergency happens. The King is expecting me back in his throne room so please forgive me for not providing you with the normal formalities of saying goodbye. The servants will see to all your needs on your way out.

Thank you, everyone, for returning so quickly. A decision has been made for each of you.

I returned as soon as I received word, Your Grace.

Throw him into the Dungeon. You Will rot in a cell.

Don't want to let me go, but you don't have the guts to kill? My friends will gladly hear about your cowardly decisions!

I need to see Aurelea about this...

All we can offer is seven gold pieces. I believe this should be enough to cover your loss.

Your Grace, do you really think that gold can replace my son? I had better look for help elsewhere...

Welcome back Lord Etton, I'll give you a General to help deal with these kidnappers. Pay them once and they will only want more. This is the best option.

You're right. Send the General my way and I will tell him my plan. Thank you, Your Grace. Good, good, good. It has to work...

Sit with Asalia. Ask how she feels. Do not command. They need a father, not a king… respectively of course!

This is about both. If anyone recognised her, if something happened... I understand that she wants to see more of the world but she must also understand that there are people who would hurt one of us just for who we are. I'll tell Audry to stop her horse riding lessons for now. Now that the Radovians have returned and are openly attacking our villages it would be unwise for her to be caught unawares riding around the countryside.

I heard that you did sent the bandit to the dungeons. Maybe you could question him, see what he knows.

I will see what I can do...

Your mother and I have decided that not only are you confined to the castle, but you are also banned from horse riding. I'll tell Audry to suspend your riding lessons for now. Just in case you had an idea to ride off to Praciss or Caladur.

What Am I supposed to do inside these godforsaken walls?! AGHH! Stupid Lorsulia. I'll teach her a lesson!

Stop with the names!

I didn't think a King would come down to the Dungeons. An honor, truly.

Enough of the games! Tell me what you know. Why are you here?

I suppose that's one way of killing time in this murky den. You see... Beyran, that lunatic, thinks everyone will follow him, ha ha! Keeps raving about some promise. One of the seven Kings will give him his daughter. He thinks that he's got a chance at mingling with the royals. I still can't decide. Is he the mad one, or is it his followers, who believe this bunk, who are really insane?

You will stay here a while longer. Maybe you'll be useful.

Sure, as long as I don't die from boredom first.

End of Week Two!

Archives

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I will be doing some editing to the first couple of updates in the near future. Now that this LP is underway and the format is starting to come together I thought that I'd make some changes to make them more in line with the more recent updates.