Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I suppose that's one way of killing time in this murky den. You see... Beyran, that lunatic, thinks everyone will follow him, ha ha! Keeps raving about some promise. One of the seven Kings will give him his daughter. He thinks that he's got a chance at mingling with the royals. I still can't decide. Is he the mad one, or is it his followers, who believe this bunk, who are really insane?

It'll be interesting to learn more about Beyran's motivations. Is "mingling with the royals" just a path to power or does he actually want to bring his Radovian raiders in from the cold into a more "civilized" society? Maybe it'll turn out he's not such a bad guy!

EDIT: Update on the previous page.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wait, the gold was supposed to be compensation?

I thought it was to help him hire people to find the kid, not us just being an asshat.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

PurpleXVI posted:

It'll be interesting to learn more about Beyran's motivations. Is "mingling with the royals" just a path to power or does he actually want to bring his Radovian raiders in from the cold into a more "civilized" society? Maybe it'll turn out he's not such a bad guy!

EDIT: Update on the previous page.

Maybe we will all have a big party and we will all be friends forever?

Black Robe posted:

Wait, the gold was supposed to be compensation?

I thought it was to help him hire people to find the kid, not us just being an asshat.

That was an error on my own behalf. The option in the game is "All we can offer is 7G.", which is deliberately obtuse and it won't be the last time that we will see choices like this. It was during the council meeting that I mentioned giving him gold to help search for the son as a bit of narrative but I forgot to consult the actual dialogue while writing. I'll be more careful with this in the future, luckily this was a case of we either send the General or he walks out so this would have happened regardless. If we had refused him outright then he would have offered us a gold piece to send the General.

Edit: I could use the obtuse choices to make Eryk look even more like an asshat.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

That was an error on my own behalf. The option in the game is "All we can offer is 7G.", which is deliberately obtuse and it won't be the last time that we will see choices like this. It was during the council meeting that I mentioned giving him gold to help search for the son as a bit of narrative but I forgot to consult the actual dialogue while writing. I'll be more careful with this in the future, luckily this was a case of we either send the General or he walks out so this would have happened regardless. If we had refused him outright then he would have offered us a gold piece to send the General.

Edit: I could use the obtuse choices to make Eryk look even more like an asshat.

I hate obtuse choices like this in RPG's of any kind. I think the ones that always stood out to me the most were in the original Mass Effect, where what seems like vague assurances gets translated by the game as "we should make out now" and mild admonishments turn into wild, angry rants.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Since the 7G was refused, can we build the theater instead? We have the gold for it now. :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Since the 7G was refused, can we build the theater instead? We have the gold for it now. :)

This is a possibility as the overview screen for the previous week is the first thing that we see when loading a save game. It's up to everyone else though as we've already had the council session.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Might as well build the theater. Considering we probably are going to lose some contentment after the father announces we tried to give him pity money.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What an ingrate! I'm sure he could get several perfectly good new children for 7 gold. Oh well. Peasants, man.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I could get behind building the theater.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm sure that I can work it into the narrative somewhere for the next update.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, might as well build the theatre then.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to play through and transcribe the petitioners for the following week as I won't be able to do any work this weekend. I thought that I'd at least make a start on things and also to see what crops up. Seeing as I won't be free to do any work over the weekend I'll keep things open in regards to the theatre until Monday.

The theatre does need to be fixed as any further bleed in happiness could bite us on the rear end in the long run as we won't be able to please everyone. But it will also leave us with 8 gold to start the next week out with. Although, if the peasant had accepted the money it would have left us with 11 gold anyway.

We currently have four votes in favour of fixing the theatre.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Fix the theater

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Kanthulhu posted:

Fix the theater

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sure, fix the theatre.

His Majesty really needs to work on his communication skills. We can't give proper advice if we don't have all the information.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
As an ardent lover of the arts, I of course believe we should fix the theatre.

I can finally put on my production of The Summer Winds of Love! Although I will need several large gourds, a pheasant, and a flute player, for authenticity.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sit with Asalia. Ask how she feels. Do not command. They need a father, not a king… respectively of course!

Took the words right out of my mouth! :v:

And n'thing Fix the theatre

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Yes, Your Grace - (06) Invasion, Invitation & Investment

So they do have a King after all... And where there's a King, an army follows. What promise are they babbling about, anyway?

To take my daughter's hand.

Wha... How... You never mentioned it, Your Grace!

I didn't think I would have to keep my word.

We can't let barbarians seize the throne! Our treasury is low, but we can always seek allies. I will let you get on with the audits, and I'll make some preparations in the meantime. I will be in the Council Chamber, Your Grace.

I'm here representing Bank de Florentini, Your Grace. I hear that your treasury has seen better times. But I'm here to help!

How does all this work again?

We understand that sometimes it's hard to be a King and we want to do our BEST to help. We offer quick and easy solutions to give you a surge of gold or supplies, whichever you may be in need of! Our exclusive package offers 50 gold or supplies, instantly available for your use. The bank only adds a small fee of 10 gold or supplies, depending on the type of loan. It's paid off in weekly amounts of 10 until you pay off your... debt, Your Grace. We won't charge you any additional costs. Oh! Last thing to note: we only do one type of loan at a time. So if you want to borrow gold, we can't lend you supplies until the first loan is repaid, And vice versa. And remember! The first loan is free of charge! You just pay back what you take.

Thank you for gracing us with your visit. My advisor isn't with me right now to discuss our current resources but if you would like to stay and make use of our hospitality I will return with an answer shortly.

Your Grace, injustice and hunger have struck our village. Men, dressed in black, came and took our stock. Hardly anything left worth giving to the dogs now. I wanted to kindly ask for 7 pieces of gold. Or 5 sacks of supplies, Your Grace. That way we can at least keep our children fed.

I come with a business proposition, Your Grace. I need 12 gold to hire men and buy resources to build a new tavern in Branca. You see... the tavern will serve as more than just a way for locals to get drunk. The village is really well positioned. It has many visitors, but they never stay for long. A new tavern will change that and will guarantee a steady income. I will share the profits, once I start making money on the business.

Your Grace, a disease is crawling in our village. It's nothing serious, I don't think, but fevers and sneezes are all over the place. It appeared out of nowhere. As if a dark force brought it upon us!

I will give each of you an answer shortly, please wait in the lobby will I decide on what to do.

Everything seems to be quiet in the castle today. I must visit Audry in the council chamber as we have much to discuss. It appears like there is another order of business to attend to while I'm there.

Your Grace, I appointed a scout. He will let us know what we're up against. Meanwhile, we should invite King Talys. He might be able to help.

We can talk to the nearby lords. But first I would suggest inviting Talys. Here you can view details of each of your potential allies. You need to have a pigeon available in order to send an invite.

Great, Talys should visit us within a week. With his army, we should be able to repel Radovia. No matter what they come up with.

Thank you, Audry. Tell me about our battle preparations.

What would you like to know about, Your Grace?

Is our army ready to confront the enemy?

We don't know what we're up against, but with our current army, we couldn't even defend against peasants with shovels. Svetovid himself would have to help us. Finding allies will be vital if we want to stand a chance.

Hey there... Pumpkin!

Pumpkin? That's new. I like it! Your Grace.

Cedani, I always tell you not to play here.

But this is my... most cherished place in the cas... fortress! Oh, you have the most finest items here, Father! Pleeeeeease! Let me stay here! I won't break anything, I promise!

I'm not sure whether your mother will be happy with this, I will discuss it with her first!

Yes, Father.

Family Matters

We need to talk about Cedani. I caught her hanging around the council chambers again.

You know how much she looks up to you. She's always interested in anything to do with this castle and your work. Besides, the council chamber is empty six days of the week and all she wants to do is play in there.

The council chamber is no place for children, there are sensitive documents and fragile relics in there! Should I really let her stay or should I tell her to go and play in the gardens if she wants to play in the future?

Council Meeting

Welcome back to the third council meeting. Apologies to anyone who wasn't able to attend the previous meeting, transcripts of the meeting have been made available for every one to view. There aren't any emergencies this week, thankfully, but rest assured knowing that the Radovians will no longer be a threat. I won't dally around this news as the King has invited King Talys to our castle and there is no doubt that an alliance will be struck. King Talys commands an army of three thousand soldiers which should be more than enough to defeat those barbarians. We only have one week to prepare for his visit and we need to make sure that everything runs smoothly.

It's now time to discuss today's news. The King decided to authorise the building of the theatre without discussing it with me first. I know we all voted to leave the repairs for another time, but the King has heard about a new play being performed in Caladur and he wants to see it performed here in Grevno. Our gold supplies have unexpectedly dropped but there may be a solution to this. The King was visited by a representative from the Bank de Florentini who was offering to provide a loan of fifty gold pieces or fifty units of supplies now, or at any point in the future. The usual fee is paying back an additional ten resources but they are willing to waive this for our first loan. Our supplies are at a somewhat healthy level at the moment but our gold is running low after the King's unexpected investment. Should we borrow fifty gold, fifty supplies or send him on his way? We can send a pigeon to the Bank of Florentini at any time in the future to summon them back to the court to discuss finances.

Our first petitioner arrived from a nearby village which had been attacked and robbed by men wearing black. We can provide them with five supplies, give them five gold pieces or just send him on his way.

We also have another investment opportunity, a villager from Branca is asking for twelve gold to build a new tavern. The location is in a prominent position and he has promised a share in the profits. The issue is that he is asking for twelve gold pieces and the treasury isn't able to cover the costs right now. If we accept the loan from the Bank of Florentini we will be able to invest now, but we need to make sure that we have enough money to pay them back over the next five weeks. If we take the loan we can invest twelve gold pieces or we could tell him to come back another time. Although, the longer that we wait to invest means the longer it will take for the profits to start filling the treasury. We could also decline his offer and tell the villager that we can't take the risk.

The last petitioner arrived with news that her village is currently suffering from a sickness. She believes that it's the result of dark forces but that's most likely superstition. We can either give them seven supplies or we can give them five supplies to help with their recovery. Or this is really some superstitious nonsense and they can just wait it out.

The Grey Mountains. Lulie loves them. We're lucky to have such a beautiful landscape. These fields used to be covered in forests. Our agriculture is thriving.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 24, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Take the gold loan - there's no cost here so why not?
Give the villages 5 and 7 supplies, since we're currently just stockpiling them.
Invest in the inn.
Tell Cedani to play in the gardens.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The royal daughter will one day be ruling in her own right some day. Let her stay to gain some small experience being around documents et al to normalize them for the future.

We don't have the gold to invest at this point, but can't afford a loan either. No loan and tell the tavern investor to return later.

We have enough supplies for now to help our people. Five supplies to each village to help them recover

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, if we are quite certain that His Majesty hasn't left out any important details this time...? Jolly good.

Let us send supplies to both the villages in need.

Send gold to the man wishing to build a tavern, I have a feeling we're all going to need plenty to drink.

Take the gold loan, I'm sure nothing bad can come of this (and it won't be my kneecaps getting broken when it does....)

Tell the child to play outside. 'Touching grass', I believe the youth call it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Black Robe posted:

Well, if we are quite certain that His Majesty hasn't left out any important details this time...? Jolly good.

Let us send supplies to both the villages in need.

Send gold to the man wishing to build a tavern, I have a feeling we're all going to need plenty to drink.

Take the gold loan, I'm sure nothing bad can come of this (and it won't be my kneecaps getting broken when it does....)

A loan to make some investments is a good move.

Let Her Stay in regards to the royal daughter, though. Precocious youngsters playing with the kingdom's artifacts and riches have never ended poorly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

take the gold loan an interest free loan is a chance to invest in more income and come out with more than we borrowed after we repay it.

The king should tell his daughter to "Play in the garden, pumpkin." After all, if she is a pumpkin she is a plant and plants belong in the garden, not the council chamber. Although perhaps we could arrange supervised visits? I think we could all have good fun with a "bring your child to work day."

resupply the town directly from our supplies. These bandits are making a nuisance of themselves, but our first duty is keeping people happy, so they pay their taxes. We don't have enough goons to force them to pay up if they don't want to, especially with these invasions.

Invest in the tavern. Speaking of those ruffians, they burned down my favorite watering hole the other day. I can't handle sobriety! Erm.... I meant, this is a valuable financial investment that could benefit the kingdom in the long term.

Give the village 7 supply resources to deal with the illness. Whatever the cause, if large groups of people are falling ill, it can spread quickly out of control. It does no good to raise an army against these brigands if all our men are with fever when the big battle comes.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, let's see:

Cedani playing in the council room is basically queen practice. Why not let her stay?

We can easily send 5 supplies to one village and 7 to the other without straining our resources too much, so let's do that.

I'm going to abstain on the loan, but if we do take the loan then I vote to finance the tavern.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 14, 2023

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Let her stay, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Take a gold loan, we need gold to produce more avenues of earning more gold/supplies and an interest-free loan loses us nothing if we don't be stupid with it.

Provide supplies, who knows how they'll spend relief gold. Supplies should be distributed without problems.

Invest in the tavern, the earlier it opens the sooner an investment can pay off.

Send five supplies, I don't believe in magic enough to send seven but five should be enough to aid the ill. It would be good to nip any chance of a plague before it spreads.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Why do I get the feeling that in getting help from the king to stop the barbarians, the cost is going to be our daughter's hand in marriage?

Unfortunate that we can't really do anything with the gold we have on hand - Take the loan

Let the daughter play in the council room

We have the supplies to spare for now, give five and seven to the people asking

invest in the tavern

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CzarChasm posted:

Unfortunate that we can't really do anything with the gold we have on hand - Take the loan

invest in the tavern

Seconded!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I will be the odd one out and advise to hold off on the loan until we have a clear need for it.

I suggest we send supplies to the raided village to help them out, and send 5 supplies to the village stricken by sickness since “it’s nothing serious”.

Cedani is known for not being able to keep secrets, for not acting in an intelligent manner (or at least not acting in a manner that her sisters prefer), and for being the King’s favorite. Also, we know the council room is full of sensitive documents that likely require care, if not confidentiality. Nevertheless, everyone likes Cedani so much that she should be allowed in the council chambers although it would be nice if she were supervised to an extent.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Take a gold loan ASAP. There is literally no downside to it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

McGavin posted:

Take a gold loan ASAP. There is literally no downside to it.

Well there is one obvious one, in that we can't take a supply lone for 5 turns even if we are given a pressing need for a bunch of it.

But a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Black Robe posted:

I made sure to keep to the little information that we were given this time :sweatdrop:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

quote:

The bank only adds a small fee of 10 gold or supplies, depending on the type of loan.

Yall are bad at reading. It's 6 repayments, so a 20% interest charge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Yall are bad at reading. It's 6 repayments, so a 20% interest charge.

quote:

And remember! The first loan is free of charge! You just pay back what you take.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Do we even have any income right now? Taking that first "free" loan sounds like a one way trip to taking out new loans to repay the old one(s).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

dotchan posted:

Do we even have any income right now? Taking that first "free" loan sounds like a one way trip to taking out new loans to repay the old one(s).

Between our taxes and the market stalls, we're taking in 12 gold per week, but 9 is going on our general's salary. So net gain of 3 g/wk.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Why do I get the feeling that in getting help from the king to stop the barbarians, the cost is going to be our daughter's hand in marriage?

invest in the tavern

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Your cat-petting skill increases by 0.1 points.

Your Grace, your daughter is indeed precocious, but means no harm. Let her stay in the council chambers. With a little extra care not to leave valuable documents or artifacts within her reach, I believe it to be a harmless indulgence.

Take the loan of fifty gold pieces but be mindful not to spend it quickly, your Grace. The kingdom seems to have a small but steady income and several investment opportunities before us. If your Grace can repay this initial, interest-free loan and grow our coffers, there will be no further need of dealings with the Bank de Florentini.

Using the funds from the bank, I suggest the kingdom invest in the tavern. I agree with Audry -- the longer we wait to fund a good opportunity, the longer until it pays dividends. Between the inn your Grace has already financed and this tavern, the people will come to our kingdom for rest and refreshment more than ever before!

As for the men clad in black pillaging our towns, send the people five supplies to ease their minds and nourish their bodies. There have been a disturbing number of incidents beyond our castle walls. I know we have but one general at the moment, but hopefully there will be good news on the bandits' apprehension, or... a cleaner solution.

Finally, a growing sickness is nothing to take lightly. Your Grace, grant the poor woman seven supplies with the hope of quelling this plague for good and all.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The votes seem to be at a natural conclusion and there is a clear winner in each category. Three people didn't specify the amount of supplies to send to the final peasant's village, feel free to clarify if you want to but I've added them to the seven pile for now.

Let Cedani stay - 9
Tell Cedani to leave - 3

Take the loan - 10
Don't take the loan - 2

Give five supplies - 12
Give five gold -
Send him on his way -

Invest twelve gold - 11
Tell him to come back - 1
Don't take the risk -

Give seven supplies - 9
Give five supplies - 3
Give nothing -

I'm going to do start some preliminary work tomorrow but the next update will probably happen on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Agree with those votes.

Hear hear