Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
We have enough contentment for a while, and only funds and supplies seems spendable.

do not give wedding gold/supplies
give gold to build the inn
use supplies to fix the pantry
invest gold to fix the marketplace
pardon the prisoner

I don't think we should fix the theater yet. We'd be very low on gold after; perhaps too low for the next round of dilemmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I hope that you don't mind if I use your names in the updates.
Pleasantly surprised! This makes me more excited to follow along. :)

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Taxes formula seems to be:
- gold income = 3 + happiness/2
- supplies income = happiness/2

Got this from 3 of the screenshots where (16 happiness -> 11, 8. 14 happiness -> 10, 7. 12 happiness -> 9, 6).

The theater is decently important. We would run out of gold doing this, but it seems like the cost of dilemmas isn't too big each week.
The General can only be allocated once, and sadly, costs 9 gold per session. It's better to use him on the most costly dilemma, the Lord. I think we have the advantage of seeing all the dilemmas at once because a player could be tricked into sending him to help the peasant.

Princess: No horses
Bandit: Imprison
Peasant: Use 7 Gold
Lord: Send General
Theater: Fix now with 10 Gold

No gold left, but we'll hopefully sustain a happy, taxpaying populace.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Since the 7G was refused, can we build the theater instead? We have the gold for it now. :)

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Please take your time!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Allow Asalia to train. My lord wishes to spend time with his daughters, and Asalia is interested in swordplay. It is a win-win situation.

General Stan can solve the problem.

Allow the successful innkeeper to get by with 1 gold/week. We gave the man 7 gold, so 1/gold per week in perpetuity is fair recompense. Requesting 3 or 4 gold per week would be too much. It might cause the inn to fail or worse, discourage future entrepreneurs from developing our kingdom.

5 supplies to the cattle person

Let's hire a band so they can practice and buy the flowers at the end.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
We must defend our people. Send Stan to the village.

The flower should be pre-purchased with delivery scheduled in-time for the wedding. Advance notice will allow us to secure the best flowers and design a fine arrangement. (i.e., yes to flowers as long as the purchase is sensible. There should be no flower wilting.)

No pigeons. No medicine We shouldn't waste the time of our allies, especially during wartime. King Talys would not be fooled by the shady merchant either.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
This game is tossing money and supplies at us. We didn't need to be so stingy early on, and we can afford many of the scams the petitioners pull on us.

Our kingdom may be under attack, but it's doing great otherwise. Long live King Eryk!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

Puffy - 6
Middle - 5
Old - 3

Your Grace, which dress has won? Surely not the Puffy one!

We feared the Radovians and bandits would raid our villages, but in the end, our treasury has been seized from within by the greedy wedding planners!

No more, I say! We have spent enough!

If taken as a spectrum, the Middle dress is the winner and the sensible choice!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Oh dear, the Bank always wins...

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Terrible wedding. Terrible waste of resources. Imagine if we could've saved Talys with the special medicine.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Even Sir Friderick wants something from us! It's as though we are being sent on a wild goose chase. Let us pray this chain of requests ends with Noaksey.

28g is exorbitant. Remember, the tavern owner once tried to trick us before by offering a pittance in taxes. Ah, that must be it! The man is attempting to extort us back for requesting 3g/week. After calculating it, 28g would set us behind more than our initial investment! His tavern has supposedly become an even more profitable brothel... But somehow, he cannot afford any guards and will be doomed if he lets things continue as-is AND if he kicks them out? Frankly, I don't believe the man. I would like to say that we cannot help, but let us tell him to come back in 2 weeks. Some time may help him see that things are not nearly so doomed, and we shall see how his story changes.

General Stan shall visit Kaski to settle the matter of dust for Etton and Lurs.

Given that the council decided to spend 50g on a wedding dress for Lorsulia, we can spare 1g for Cedani. She's promised to pay us back, after all!

------

Assuming I've tracked it right, here's the breakdown of the Tavern cost/benefit so far:

Week 3: Tavern was financed for 12g
Week 5: Tavern started paying us 3g/week
Week 13: Tavern requests basically all of it back with a 28g lump sum

Weekly Gold Tracker:
3: -12 (financed for 12g)
4: -12
5: -9 (we requested a tax of 3g/week instead of 1g/week)
6: -6
7: -3
8: 0
9: 3
10: 6
11: 9
12: 12
13: 15 (we're being asked for help)

Weighing Options:
- Pay 28g: The investment becomes -13 if we choose to pay the lump sum of 28, essentially making this venture a waste. It will take us 9-10 weeks to recover from this setback, and given how our economy should be growing, it's more like 11 weeks because 28g is more like 33.6g when you factor in the bank "interest" rate. It also incentivizes the greedy entrepreneur to keep relying on us to bail him out because he hasn't promised us any additional tax/compensation for helping.
- Send Stan: Sending Stan is 9g and 2 weeks, right? I could be on board with this, but I'd rather progress the plot by visiting places at this point.
- Do nothing / defer: Letting the investment fail is fine at this point since we've made a tidy profit.

Meta thoughts:
- Since there's an option to let the tavern owner come back in 2 weeks, we are likely to get 1 more week of income, even if we do nothing.
- In an alternate timeline, we could have accepted the 1g/week tax, meaning we still wouldn't have turned a profit on our investment. I'd like to think that the tavern owner would have reinvested the 2g/week difference to avoid this catastrophe. If this event still occurs regardless, I would be quite miffed.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 8, 2023

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Knowing that these allies give us money, we've gotta get Via Lyt on our side.

It doesn't matter where; send Stan somewhere to keep the locals safe and check in on how they're doing.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Tabling the tavern issue bought us 2 weeks, but it is time to decide. To save or not to save? That is the question.
After completing the calculations, Stan should save the tavern.

The Radovian prisoner should be handed over to Via Lyt. We have not gained any intel or ransom, so this is the best deal we'll get.

Your Grace, we must invite Masha. She is critical to our army's growth. If we fail to do this, we may be forced to marry Asalia off to Lady Lena's son, and we should be wary of the curse!

---------

Tavern Calculations

What are Stan's payment mechanics? It seems like he costs 9g, but only sometimes. I don't have a good sense of when we'll have to pay him.
IIRC, others in the thread have said he basically has to be paid if he's in-town.

Week 13 paid --> To Kaski --> Week 14 paid --> To Kosano --> Week 15 paying

So if visiting a place like Kosano only got us 2g net, then I think we can afford to send him away to settle the tavern matter.

Over the next two weeks:
- Sending Stan to solve the tavern means -9g and ensures our steady 3g/week income.
- Sending Stan to other towns means an estimated +4g (or other info) and risks our 3g/week income.

Sadly, the balance is in favor of saving the tavern.

--------

Army calculations

Based on the Week 14 vote details, we are supposed to reach 1000 armies in 14 weeks.

We are on track to ally with:
- Jovan (5, 0, 120)
- Lurs (0, 6, 200)
- Sir Friderick (4, 2, 80)
- Via Lyt (3, 0, 150)
- Ada (0, 1, 60)

The total is: 610 army

We started with 100 army.
The Training Grounds (35g for 10 army/week was built in week 10, so we'll get about 180 soldiers out of it.

That means we're poised to have about 890 army and only need to secure 110 more.

Noaksey (0, 5, 180) will not be a permanent ally because we're going to prove that he's a liar.
Etton (6, 0, 230) is out since we disrupted the dust trade.
Lena (4, 5, 300) is out too since we aren't giving up Asalia.

Only Masha (1, 3, 130) and Grego (0, 3, 80) remain, and We need Masha since Grego won't be enough alone.

There could be events or village visits that recruit extra army, but we can't rely on those.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
It's a pretty blind playthrough for us, so failure is fine. IMO, the way the wedding dress votes were taken (raw count vs sliding scale) implied that you were also onboard with failing. :D

As far as I can tell, the weekly resources for Lurs aren't that great. We have to pay supply maintenance cost for the extra armies, so there's not much benefit to getting him now.

Noaksey's temporary contribution has nearly canceled itself out (he gives supplies and armies that eat through those supplies).

We would like Sir Friderick and Johan for their gold, but they aren't worth speaking to yet since Noaksey hasn't come back.

Which is why Masha seems like a fine choice to invite this week.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

Your Grace, you shouldn't expect your share of the income for some time... I'm expecting the income to drop significantly.

Oof, I'd like to take Stan back from this guy. :D

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Since we've paid off the loan, are we able to get a new one to help pay Masha? Or do we have to specifically spend an invite on the banker?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Lurs

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Alena can study the phial
Stan should be sent somewhere, but I have no preference.
Lurs can have 3 gold/week to reduce his conflict of interest. The spices hopefully will count as additional supplies instead of being ephemeral.
Invite Jovan if he's not an ally yet. Otherwise, we'll need to check with Grego
Let's avoid dealing with Babushka or funding the shrine.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Unless there's some Deus Ex Machina or solving the murder is supposed to be what gets us to 1000, I think the numbers have been rigged to force us to take Lena's deal. How could Noaksey, Sir Friderick, and Jovan end up this way? :(

Pardon Jovan
Invite Masha
Painting to Grego

I don't know about the rest, but so far, sending Stan to visit nearby villages has not paid off much. He costs 9 gold, and he only brings back 11 gold. If we have other things he can help with, he should do those things instead.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

We currently have 674 troops. If we pardon Jovan, sell the painting and hand over the prisoner to Masha then that will potentially provide us with 330 more troops and take us above 1000. I'm fairly certain that we keep Friderick's troops, they still remain at the start of the week and no one comes to inform us that the deal is off.

Stan has brought in 2 extra gold, which is still something. Scouting the villages will always yield a surprise and it's not always gold and\or supplies, we may also meet people as well. Sometimes the scouting will pay off and sometimes it won't. But if someone is in need, it may be best to send an agent to help them keep the happiness levels as high as possible.

Reassuring!
It's true that Friderick is still in the status screen despite his death. May his contributions still be there next week.
Good to know that there may gems hidden within the villages too. We just have to guess right.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately, the alliances that give you army + supplies are close to net-neutral for supplies. The alliances that give you gold don't give you enough supplies and drain you dry.

Sir Friderick's contributions are gone now, but Grego's 80 soldiers will also be enough to get us to 1000.

Getting Lena will not help us since her army size is so big that she'll make the supply situation worse.

I don't know how the game expects us to work around it, but we're on track to run out of supplies. Other than getting Grego, any ideas?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

Allying with Lena will give us an extra 5 supplies a week. It won't make us even but it will lessen the bleed that we're facing right now. Maybe preparing Alena wasn't the ideal choice right now. I could go back and reverse this decision to give us more time to find a solution. Or we could go on full panic mode for the next two weeks.

Unfortunately, allying with Lena doesn't work. She comes with 300 army, which she forces us to feed. I think it'll be around 9 supplies/week, which far exceeds the 5 supplies/week she offers. Allying with her will destroy us faster.

The reason I think it's 9 is that we're at 803 army and are paying 23. So it's about 3 supplies per 100 army.

Tbh, Grego's cutting it pretty close since he only offers 3 supplies for his 80 army.

The only other ways I can think of:
- For the long-term, get people happier. Happy citizens seem to produce more taxes
- Get lucky on a village exploration and hope Stan can bring us back some supplies
- If we could use treasury funds to buy supplies, that'd be great too

EDIT: Oh dear, we might really need to undo prepping Alena. =/

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 1, 2023

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Ah, then Lena is a viable solution, but only because she gives us extra army for attrition (starvation?)

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
We can withhold.

Some of our troops aren't cut out for the army, so we're sending them home. However, they still want to help with the war effort and have agreed to give us some supplies. How kind of them!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
With the choices we have, it's impossible to get to 3000 army. There will have to be a Deus Ex Machina to get us out of this mess. My guess is that it's related to the Radovians.

The game's writing and kingdom management are fun, but my continued gripe is that our efforts are often undermined. In the plot sense, the wedding preparations and Ivo's double betrayal are the worst offenders. For non-plot choices, the tavern investment and the Sir Friderick debacle.

Setting aside the game's issues, the LP has been a pleasure to read thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I like it seeing other routes and choices. Not sure how to handle it better, but it is a little jarring to follow two plots in the same thread.