Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey, how about something from the region I grew up in?

Yuns, sometimes spelled yins, yunz, or yinz. Everyone in the rural place I was born would say it often and it's still in my vocabulary.

my sincere opinion is that annoying gay people on the internet should start saying yinz instead of yall, it would solve a lot of problems. i truly believe this

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

watho posted:

my sincere opinion is that annoying gay people on the internet should start saying yinz instead of yall, it would solve a lot of problems. i truly believe this

Finally, someone gets it!

"Once upon a time,
I was sitting in my little room
Trying to fall asleep

I hear a tapping at my window
Open up the curtains to see
The saddest face as can be"

--The opening verse to a song I wrote when I was 10 years old

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yinz crazy!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
:actually: I've always spelled it you'ns

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
it's a contraction of "you ones"

Ass-penny

I'm a native English speaker and I plumb forgot about yunz

Ass-penny

I don't really see how it is supposed to be superior to y'all tho?? :thunkin:

watho

rear end-penny posted:

I don't really see how it is supposed to be superior to y'all tho?? :thunkin:

i mean, look at it, listen to it, say it

Ass-penny

watho posted:

i mean, look at it, listen to it, say it

kinda feels like the word people reach for when they think y'all is too fuckin :wotwot: which is like :lol:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Yes, too bourgya'llsie for the proletariat

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Cartoon Violence

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

It's the word I constantly use to refer to any group of two or more people and forget is uncommon until someone says it reminds them of their 95 year old great grandpappy who lived in a cabin on a mountain in Pennsylvania.

"Once upon a time,
I was sitting in my little room
Trying to fall asleep

I hear a tapping at my window
Open up the curtains to see
The saddest face as can be"

--The opening verse to a song I wrote when I was 10 years old

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Cartoon Violence posted:

It's the word I constantly use to refer to any group of two or more people and forget is uncommon until someone says it reminds them of their 95 year old great grandpappy who lived in a cabin on a mountain in Pennsylvania.

I though cabins were exclusive to Wyoming.

Ass-penny

Billa posted:

I though cabins were exclusive to Wyoming.

this is wildly incorrect. Americans love cabins, especially in the northern parts of this country.

watho

the great american pastime is going to a cabin and reading passages out of weird books they find there

cruft

watho posted:

the great american pastime is going to a cabin and reading passages out of weird books they find there

holy crap you nailed the national culture. you should write a weird book!

Ass-penny

watho posted:

:hmmwrong:

Americans can't read

Saoshyant

rear end-penny posted:

Americans can't read

Americans can (mostly) read, but they are too busy with book burning these days. What an awful state of things.

Anyway, today's new slang/lingo word for everyone to learn is: Phubbing

Which means ignoring someone in favor of your phone, a rather rude thing to do!

Saoshyant

Don't phub around, my friends, don't phub around...

Finger Prince

I wonder if there's a line on a map for cabin/cottage like there is soda/pop

watho

rear end-penny posted:

Americans can't read

okay true sometimes they play tape recorders where a professor read the passage out loud

Ass-penny

Saoshyant posted:

Americans can (mostly) read, but they are too busy with book burning these days. What an awful state of things.

Anyway, today's new slang/lingo word for everyone to learn is: Phubbing

Which means ignoring someone in favor of your phone, a rather rude thing to do!

hey, who's the American here, you or me?

Finger Prince

This situation is an absolute goat gently caress.
What a goat show.

-these are more or less synonymous with "cluster gently caress" and "poo poo show"
-the word "goat" is powerful here because of the way Canadians pronounce the "oa" sound.

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Guys, what is a Tomboy?

Papa Was A Video Toaster

americans do not read, because they don't know how

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Billa posted:

Guys, what is a Tomboy?

tomboy is not a proper noun, but a descriptive noun (often self assigned) for girls and women who express traditionally "boyish" or masculine tendencies. less frequently used as the language around gender has evolved and our views and expectations of gender especially as it regards children have shifted a tiny bit.
it's also a bit of genderpolicing in it's very structure. "you're not acting girlish, i'm going to call you a lesser boy." pretty messed up imo

cruft

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

tomboy is not a proper noun, but a descriptive noun (often self assigned) for girls and women who express traditionally "boyish" or masculine tendencies. less frequently used as the language around gender has evolved and our views and expectations of gender especially as it regards children have shifted a tiny bit.
it's also a bit of genderpolicing in it's very structure. "you're not acting girlish, i'm going to call you a lesser boy." pretty messed up imo

We're getting into social and political topics here, but just to throw in another perspective, my grandmother was fiercely proud of being a "tomboy". I don't think she saw it as a diminutive or aberrant gender expression, but she pretty clearly thought people using it to belittle her were helpfully self-identifying as fools whose opinions she could disregard.

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Thanks guys!

Ps: all the books I read are in English, but they don't have the slang or the vocabulary you usually use here.

cruft

Billa posted:

Thanks guys!

Ps: all the books I read are in English, but they don't have the slang or the vocabulary you usually use here.

Some of the slang and vocabulary we use here is specific to somethingawful forums, and some is even specific to BYOB. Like, "orb" is a BYOB word that means... amigo, basically.

Is "amigo" used the same way in Spain that it's used in Mexico? For that matter, I'm not even sure that New Mexico uses it the same way as Mexico. But we use it sort of the same way "buddy" or "pal" were used in the 20th century. A sort of friendly informal way to refer to someone that you might know well or might only be acquainted with.

Billa

The Emperor protects.

cruft posted:

Some of the slang and vocabulary we use here is specific to somethingawful forums, and some is even specific to BYOB. Like, "orb" is a BYOB word that means... amigo, basically.

Is "amigo" used the same way in Spain that it's used in Mexico? For that matter, I'm not even sure that New Mexico uses it the same way as Mexico. But we use it sort of the same way "buddy" or "pal" were used in the 20th century. A sort of friendly informal way to refer to someone that you might know well or might only be acquainted with.

Amigo would be like calling someone friend. If he is your buddy or your pal here in Spain we use the word "colega" which is more than a friend.

cruft

Billa posted:

Amigo would be like calling someone friend. If he is your buddy or your pal here in Spain we use the word "colega" which is more than a friend.

Heh.

So like, let's say somebody is trying to get on the bus but they still need 5 cents, and you have 5 cents in your hand. You put it in the bus fare thing, and the person thanks you. Here, you might say "no problem, amigo" or "no problem, pal".

This isn't someone I know, or feel like I'm going to learn more about. And we haven't entered into some sort of meaningful relationship over 5 cents. I'm just being friendly.

Is that how "amigo" is used in Spain, too?

Billa

The Emperor protects.

cruft posted:

Heh.

So like, let's say somebody is trying to get on the bus but they still need 5 cents, and you have 5 cents in your hand. You put it in the bus fare thing, and the person thanks you. Here, you might say "no problem, amigo" or "no problem, pal".

This isn't someone I know, or feel like I'm going to learn more about. And we haven't entered into some sort of meaningful relationship over 5 cents. I'm just being friendly.

Nah. Amigo would be too formal, I'd say "no hay problema colega". Unless it's a woman or senior guy in which case I'd say "no pasa nada señor / señora".

Saoshyant

cruft posted:

Heh.

Romance languages don’t usually need that, it would be “here you go” without extras. You add a sir or buddy only when you either mean it or you’re being sarcastic.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Billa posted:

more than a friend.

👀

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Kacie and I bumped into a Spanish-speaking (I think they said Peruvian) couple with kid while we were out walking. They didn't speak any English so I did my best with the limited Spanish I know and we ended up having a really good talk about parrots from South America versus parrots from Africa. Only towards the end of the conversation did I have to break out the translator, but I tried to only use it for individual words so I could continue to challenge myself. I did have to use it in full to tell a story about a lady my mom ran into in Florida that lets her parrot ride on her bicycle.

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Saoshyant posted:

Romance languages don’t usually need that, it would be “here you go” without extras. You add a sir or buddy only when you either mean it or you’re being sarcastic.

Due to my education I always add senor o señora whenever I do stuff like that, which isn't often though.

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Viginti Septem posted:

Kacie and I bumped into a Spanish-speaking (I think they said Peruvian) couple with kid while we were out walking. They didn't speak any English so I did my best with the limited Spanish I know and we ended up having a really good talk about parrots from South America versus parrots from Africa. Only towards the end of the conversation did I have to break out the translator, but I tried to only use it for individual words so I could continue to challenge myself. I did have to use it in full to tell a story about a lady my mom ran into in Florida that lets her parrot ride on her bicycle.

What sucks about Spain though is that almost nobody speaks English here, or the people that do have the level of a 5 yo kid. That's why in all the jobs I've done they used me as a translator from English to Spanish and viceversa.

What I mean is that if I'm here that often asking English questions you can guess the average level of a guy who doesn't speak it or tries to. A shame really.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
That's interesting. It appears from my outsider perspective that in many countries in Europe, people speak English.

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Viginti Septem posted:

That's interesting. It appears from my outsider perspective that in many countries in Europe, people speak English.

Here they try to teach it, but people are stupid and don't pay attention to classes in school because English "ain't cool".

Ass-penny

YOU SAY HE'S JUST A FRIEND
YEAH YOU SAY HE'S -
OH BABY YOOOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Billa posted:

English "ain't cool".

that's a fair hit, that tracks