Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

rear end-penny posted:

YOU SAY HE'S JUST A FRIEND
YEAH YOU SAY HE'S -
OH BABY YOOOU

GOT WHAT I NEEEEEEEED

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

right up there with "Barbara Anne" by the Beach Boys for songs you can sing 100% sincerely and still just sound like a drunk schmuck and bother everyone, lmao

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Viginti Septem posted:

That's interesting. It appears from my outsider perspective that in many countries in Europe, people speak English.

It varies a lot. Spain, France, Italy? Not at all. All their American media needs to be dubbed. Nordic countries, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal? Top shape.

Portugal, as an example, has mediocre levels of education in comparison to its neighbors, but it doesn’t dub any movie or series unless it’s for toddlers, so by exposure the population’s handling of English is pretty decent.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Ass-penny

Saoshyant posted:

It varies a lot. Spain, France, Italy? Not at all. All their American media needs to be dubbed. Nordic countries, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal? Top shape.

Portugal, as an example, has mediocre levels of education in comparison to its neighbors, but it doesn’t dub any movie or series unless it’s for toddlers, so by exposure the population’s handling of English is pretty decent.

what did Portugal do to their hearing impaired :ohdear:

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

What?

Saoshyant

rear end-penny posted:

Foreign material is subbed. National material used a TV text obscure functionality called "teletext" for subtitles. Important stuff has a sign language person on the corner of the screen to translate in real time.

cruft

Billa posted:

English "ain't cool".

France would probably like to know how Spain accomplished this.

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Okay guys. Here is the word for today:

What is hoochie cooochie?

Papa Was A Video Toaster

im the hoochie coochie man

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

cruft posted:

Some of the slang and vocabulary we use here is specific to somethingawful forums, and some is even specific to BYOB. Like, "orb" is a BYOB word that means... amigo, basically.

Is "amigo" used the same way in Spain that it's used in Mexico? For that matter, I'm not even sure that New Mexico uses it the same way as Mexico. But we use it sort of the same way "buddy" or "pal" were used in the 20th century. A sort of friendly informal way to refer to someone that you might know well or might only be acquainted with.

I assume orb is the gender neutral version of bro. It's an anagram

could be wrong on this one :shrug:

Areola Grande

Billa posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JW5UEW2kYvc&feature=share8

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

Billa posted:

here it is esplain'd in full detail. legendary thread :tipshat:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964270

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Thank you areola!

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Okay. The word for today is:

Jeysoc guys and NGP. I heard those in generation kill so they might me military. Any help?

2Fast2Nutricious

Viginti Septem posted:

That's interesting. It appears from my outsider perspective that in many countries in Europe, people speak English.

That's northern European propaganda. Although could you say that the Netherlands is part of the northern bit? Hweh, it's difficult but I'm doing it. :11tea:

Billa posted:

Here they try to teach it, but people are stupid and don't pay attention to classes in school because English "ain't cool".

Everyone in the Netherlands think they have amazing proficiency in english and they are often very wrong. Doesn't stop 'em from mix-and-matching both languages as if they are masters at it. Now comes the monkey out of the sleeve! :q:

2Fast2Nutricious

Billa posted:

Okay. The word for today is:

Jeysoc guys and NGP. I heard those in generation kill so they might me military. Any help?

This is US-specific military jargon, JSOC and NJP: Non-Judicial Punishment (ie discipline) (click on this for a cool picture). Hth (hope this helps) :)

Stoner Sloth

are australian slangs included here?

Billa

The Emperor protects.

Screwby!!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Billa

The Emperor protects.

I'm afraid the only thing I watch and read are American or British movies. So idk :shrug:

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Guys,

What is Anchorman and Captain kangaroo?

Quadramind

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Billa posted:

Guys,

What is Anchorman and Captain kangaroo?

anchorman is a movie by adam mckay starring will ferrell and a bunch of other people. it’s a classic but also one that’s been quoted a referenced to death so the impact has been diminished since. some would derisively call it a very “reddit” movie these days. no idea what captain kangaroo is

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Billa

The Emperor protects.

watho posted:

anchorman is a movie by adam mckay starring will ferrell and a bunch of other people. it’s a classic but also one that’s been quoted a referenced to death so the impact has been diminished since. some would derisively call it a very “reddit” movie these days. no idea what captain kangaroo is

In Die Hard 3 McLane says that he was on suspension smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo, that's why im curious.

Saoshyant

O Captain, my Captain :yarr:

cruft

Captain Kangaroo was a children's show in the 1970s.

All I remember from it was that Captain Kangaroo wore an orange smoking jacket, and had a friend named Mister Green Jeans. I was very young, and it was on very early in Albuquerque. Like 06:00: well before I usually woke up.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

Captain Kangaroo was a children's show in the 1970s.

All I remember from it was that Captain Kangaroo wore an orange smoking jacket, and had a friend named Mister Green Jeans. I was very young, and it was on very early in Albuquerque. Like 06:00: well before I usually woke up.

pretty sure I had some kind of Captain Kangaroo card game as well, which is funny because that show was kind of dated already when I had it.

Billa

The Emperor protects.
So for today guys:

What's the difference between University and College?

B33rChiller

Billa posted:

In Die Hard 3 McLane says that he was on suspension smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo, that's why im curious.

Oooh, that's a sneaky reference to this scene from Pulp Fiction!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrndDnW1UE

Or a reference to the song, and Tarantino decided to reference diehard3. Dunno which came first.

Just the line jumped out at me from the lyric, having heard the PF soundtrack a gorillion times.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 6, 2023

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
B33rChiller

Billa posted:

So for today guys:

Both are post secondary, but I believe college would be a bit lower level. 2 year programs, no graduate level stuff, maybe up to bachelor's degree in some cases.
Often a low cost way to begin post secondary before transfer to a university. That's a rough idea of the American system, I think?
UK usage is different. I think their colleges are specific sub sections of a university?

Dr. Honked posted:

cruft

Billa posted:

So for today guys:

A University is a grouping of more than one College.

e: while this thing I wrote isn't wrong, it's apparently more complicated (and confusing). What B33rChiller wrote is also true. We need more than two words to describe this.

Finger Prince

Billa posted:

So for today guys:

Depends, but it's generally a regional thing.
In some places, college denotes diploma level, generally vocational post secondary education, and university is bachelor's degree+ level. In the US, college is the catch-all term for all post secondary education, but many of the institutions themselves are universities. Universities can also have sub-campuses or specific areas of study that they call colleges.
In short, it is very confusing and without several additional points of data, impossible to tell the difference.

B33rChiller

To add a bit of confusion, I went to what most would call a college. The BC Institute of Technology. It didn't grant degrees at the time. They mostly do vocational, and trades, but also a lot of niche tech stuff. My program was a 4 year co-op marine engineering program, and at the end of 4 years, not a single student in my class had completed the requirements to receive their diploma of technical studies. (It required 18 months of sea time)
But we all walked out the door with employment.
It was a strange inversion of credential inflation.
I didn't apply to graduate until 10 years after I finished my last class.
gently caress that school's graduation rate stats.

Dr. Honked posted:

cruft

B33rChiller posted:

To add a bit of confusion, I went to what most would call a college. The BC Institute of Technology. It didn't grant degrees at the time. They mostly do vocational, and trades, but also a lot of niche tech stuff. My program was a 4 year co-op marine engineering program, and at the end of 4 years, not a single student in my class had completed the requirements to receive their diploma of technical studies. (It required 18 months of sea time)
But we all walked out the door with employment.
It was a strange inversion of credential inflation.
I didn't apply to graduate until 10 years after I finished my last class.
gently caress that school's graduation rate stats.

I would argue that "everyone walked out the door with employment" indicates a successful program.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

I would argue that "everyone walked out the door with employment" indicates a successful program.

yeah who gives a poo poo about some 80,000 piece of paper when you have a job?

I'm my life I've literally been asked to produce my high school diploma more times than people have asked to see my college degree.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

yeah who gives a poo poo about some 80,000 piece of paper when you have a job?

I'm my life I've literally been asked to produce my high school diploma more times than people have asked to see my college degree.

I actually had to dig up my college diploma for this most recent job. It was the first time anybody has ever asked for it in my 25+-year career. And it's a 25 year old degree at this point, most of what I learned is super out of date. It felt very silly.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

I actually had to dig up my college diploma for this most recent job. It was the first time anybody has ever asked for it in my 25+-year career. And it's a 25 year old degree at this point, most of what I learned is super out of date. It felt very silly.

lol I felt the same way when I was required to produce my HS diploma in like 2019 applying for a job. like, I went to college yo, so obviously I have a diploma or GED. plus high school was useless, I can't think of anything I learned worthwhile there. what a waste of four years.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

high school math rulez

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hey OP have you heard of poutine?!

i think this about sums it

idk for some reason i was thinking about a poutine alignment chart and whether one existed and then i googled it and found this one on cursed website Reddit dot cum

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

It was a land of contrasts. The upsetting part was the school's total lack of effort in securing interviews for our co-op placement. They left that on the student's shoulders, while simultaneously employing a person to do that. (Who would yell at students until they left his office if asked for information on how one might get an interview with a shipping company) Then, two weeks before the end of the program, the head instructor informed us that none of us had completed the co-op requirements.
We were all sold a story that was untrue (we will place you with a shipping company for co-op sea phases.), but we're lucky enough to choose a program that gave us in demand credentials.

Good program with some good instructors, terrible administrators, and an industry desperate for qualified people.

Dr. Honked posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

hey OP have you heard of poutine?!

i think this about sums it

idk for some reason i was thinking about a poutine alignment chart and whether one existed and then i googled it and found this one on cursed website Reddit dot cum

Hahahhaa, that's real funny

Cheesy baked potato is poutine

Dr. Honked posted: