Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Etrian Odyssey started off as a Nintendo DS game where you and your party of adventurers delve into a mysterious labyrinth in search of fame and treasure! It finally got a damned Switch port which is great because as much as I love the original, the DS makes my weird gorilla hands cramp and I couldn't play it for very long.

The game works pretty much the same as the original, but with better graphics and controller support. It also adds new difficulty settings which is great but also it turns out the most difficult option is the same as the original, not the middle one that I picked :cripes: Needless to say the first few episodes involve a ton of me misremembering stuff from the original with a nearly 100% incorrect rate. It's kinda amazing.

Yes I'm starting yet another thread if I ever have less than three projects to juggle I'll die

Spoiler Policy

I know the basic story beats, but never made it much past the second stratum. Grace hasn't played at all, so don't post about anything we haven't seen yet.

The Team

Name: Dan
Class: Landsknecht
Skills: Holds the damned controller

Name: CirclMastr
Class: Protector
Skills: Getting hit instead of Dan

Name: Grace
Class: Troubadour
Skills: Rustic Nightcore and unhelpful advice

Name: GrandmaParty
Class: Alchemist
Skills: Radha's weed dealer

Name: Cici
Class: Medic
Skills: Literal squishmallow

:siren:Episodes:siren:

Let's Play Etrian Odyssey Episode 1 - Oh No, My Hubris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Well there's an auspicious first episode name if ever I saw one.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

But entirely appropriate to anything Etrian.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yesssss I'm still relevant even though I took time off to get jacked

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oooh, I sure can't wait to see you guys underestimate forest life!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:getin:

Love these games.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This LP is already everything I could ever hope for. Dumb voices, hostile wildlife, and someone already lying dead on the ground for half of it.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's another Dan & Grace adventuredisaster. :getin:

Also, share Cici with the thread.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
(by the way we still need an Alchemist and Survivalist for loser farmer squadron sign up if you want to be called a loser and die for our cause also this is an explicit acknowledgement that you will be subject to the kind of bits we do)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Winging It posted:

Also, share Cici with the thread.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
:perfect:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm curious about this game but don't dare investigate it myself so I'm excited to see it presented by competent people who know what they're doing.

Oh no.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Never played this game, but looks fun and I'm intrigued

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I’d like to know why it apparently has tools to draw your own map, despite also auto updating the map as you walk.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Akratic Method posted:

I’d like to know why it apparently has tools to draw your own map, despite also auto updating the map as you walk.
If I had to guess, "Gotta do SOMETHING with the touch screen!" reasons when it was on the DS. Also probably because many dungeon crawler fans hate themselves? I remember reading posts from people really mad the Grimrock games had automap at all, instead of disabling it being optional.

Why can't some people enjoy living in the future where you don't have to pull out the instruction manual for plot critical dialogue as a form of copy protection anymore, and maps drawing themselves.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 14, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Akratic Method posted:

On the DS only the tiles you stepped on gpt automapped, being colored blue. special tiles, doors, floor gimmicks, on map enemy patrol routes, everything else, you had to map yourself.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I would like to join your loser squad as a survivalist who is very bad at surviving~

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This can only end well...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Etrian Odyssey Episode 2 - Gimme That Boot

This might come as a shock, but I was one of those kids that tried to stick a fork into a wall outlet multiple times

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I've always wondered what was to these games. I might as well watch this. I'll also volunteer for loser duty if you still need corpses to throw at the monsters.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay say hello to the gathering team :toot:

Between the first and second recording session, I use Rest to respec our main crew and remove the gathering skills, my plan is for Team A to explore and hunt, while Team 2 comes in later on and uses the paths we find to scoop up all the goodies. Our inventory is hard capped at 60 slots and we hit that limit a lot faster than you'd think.

I only had nine letters to make names with so that's why some of your names are like that

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You're absolutely right, anyone who heads a dungeon exploration party is disposable.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Akratic Method posted:

Drawing your own map as a retro thing is part of the series appeal. Automapping is expressly optional, and the tools to customize your map are still going to be there and useful for things like making notes and reminders.

bbcisdabomb posted:

You're absolutely right, anyone who heads a dungeon exploration party is disposable.

Look, there's a reason I jumped for the Protector role when Danaru did the casting call for gathering monkeys. I'm gonna be Nodwick with a shield here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had a copy of EO4 on my 3DS for a while that I've barely touched, let's see if this LP makes me more likely to try it or less likely to.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm real tempted to change my name now.

Edit: It's worth $10 to make Grace happy.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 15, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

I've had a copy of EO4 on my 3DS for a while that I've barely touched, let's see if this LP makes me more likely to try it or less likely to.

EO4 is simultaneously significantly less and more bullshit than 1.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ooh, interested to seeing how a relative first timer makes it through this particular game.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

On the DS only the tiles you stepped on gpt automapped, being colored blue. special tiles, doors, floor gimmicks, on map enemy patrol routes, everything else, you had to map yourself.

Akratic Method posted:

Walls weren't auto mapped in DS either. That was added in the 3DS era. It's a QOL feature backported from that.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh god that manual mapping seemed painful.
I assume it is better on PC where you can always pick up your mouse and map the DS way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh huh, I totally thought auto walls were made for the switch version. Either way it's a big help. The map controls get a lot easier once you're used to them but also I'm very glad they'll just draw walls for me

Let's Play Etrian Odyssey Episode 3 - Something Came Up Dan

Look, there's only one sure way to know if something is poisonous or not

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Omobono posted:

Oh god that manual mapping seemed painful.
I assume it is better on PC where you can always pick up your mouse and map the DS way.

The controller-based mapping works fine, IMO, though it does take some amount of getting used to, and it's never as fast as stylus mapping was.

Also I don't know why the game makes the minimap start so zoomed in, or why it even lets you zoom in at all, the max zoomed-out size is perfect.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've always wanted to give this series a shot, the music and art style are amazing, but the mapping was such a huge turnoff that I never even bothered actually looking into it. Might have to pick it up now that I know it can automap.

If you're still taking suckers volunteers, sign me up for the meat grinder exploration squad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I gots to see this big beautiful murderhorse. They don't show FOE models during dungeon crawling? I remember that they did in the little bit of 4 that I played (which TBF was also fully 3D-rendered).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 16, 2023

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

C-Euro posted:

I gots to see this big beautiful murderhorse. They don't show FOE models during dungeon crawling? I remember that they did in the little bit of 4 that I played (which TBF was also fully 3D-rendered).
That started with the 3DS games, of which 4 was the first. In the original 3 games, FOEs are just the terrifying orange balls (and occasionally other colors).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Etrian Odyssey Episode 4 - Screaming At Circs

Okay I know I accidentally went on an easier difficulty, but they also don't usually keep screaming instead of attacking

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Even on an easier difficulty that is very weird behavior from a FOE, as the later fight demonstrated. Just the AI going "lol i dunno" for a few minutes.

Also I was playing Persona Q recently, the Persona Etrian mash-up, and yeah it was pretty fun as far as I got. Its automap is also real generous if you turn it on, and a bunch of other cool stuff that makes it friendlier than EO in general but not like pathetically easy. I didn't get too far in, though - a piece on my 3DS broke and I'm still waiting on a replacement part.

The character writing in Q is painfully one-note, though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I own 51 percent of this adventuring party

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Persona Q is fine up until the 4th Stratum, at which point it completely falls apart. The 5th Stratum isn't as bad but it's still not good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Etrian Odyssey Episode 5 - I Wish We Didn't Do This

Man I still had episodes from Final Fantasy X on here :shepface: I gotta clean this out more often

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Murderhorse was a letdown but murderbull and murderbug did not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm loving how (relatively) well challenging every FOE is working. Just waiting for the upcoming moment where it stops working and Dan finds out his last save was too long ago.