Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

verbal enema posted:

i made a 6'10 240 lb PF who is very specialized in being huge and finishing at the rim

maybe thats good i have no idea i have no idea what any positions are minus center

If it's like previous 2K installments this is a great archetype for getting good grades and the stupid in game currency. Just learn to box out and get boards, do the button to slam your butt into the guy in the post and hope for an easy bucket, failing that even a crappy passing rating player can hit open shooters and cutters and you'll get assists

Once you get the hang of it you'll have a lot of double double boards/assists games until you can get some badges and points in rim finishing (or get some rebounding stuff and just be consistently pulling down 20 boards which usually makes the coach give you a good grade)

It's like the second least playing skill demanding archetype behind "PG with good 3P shooting that constantly spams the PnR button"

I've never been able to get the hang of playing iso scoring wings cuz I suck at the ball handling controls

e: loving hell a 2k related snipe, shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thats actually what i started doing lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

the miami heat in the playoffs graph

Add the other Miami team now. What a double choke job.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Telluric Whistler posted:

If it's like previous 2K installments this is a great archetype for getting good grades and the stupid in game currency. Just learn to box out and get boards, do the button to slam your butt into the guy in the post and hope for an easy bucket, failing that even a crappy passing rating player can hit open shooters and cutters and you'll get assists

Once you get the hang of it you'll have a lot of double double boards/assists games until you can get some badges and points in rim finishing (or get some rebounding stuff and just be consistently pulling down 20 boards which usually makes the coach give you a good grade)

It's like the second least playing skill demanding archetype behind "PG with good 3P shooting that constantly spams the PnR button"

I've never been able to get the hang of playing iso scoring wings cuz I suck at the ball handling controls

e: loving hell a 2k related snipe, shameful

I'm so bad, I can never actually make a shot off the dribble in one of these games, so I always stick to making bigs

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Add the other Miami team now. What a double choke job.

But they both won the sweetest prize of all: destroying the hopes and dreams of Boston sports fans.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Horse

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

After going up 3-0 against the celtics they were 2-7 the rest of the way.

I mean, they were also playing probably the two best team in the league across those 9 games though so that isn't as bad as it sounds.

Shear Modulus posted:

the sacramento summer league might be the debut of wemby and scoot/miller because both the spurs and hornets are going to play there. specifically spurs vs hornets (and potentially wemby vs scoot round 2) on july 3

Personally I'd be surprised if the Spurs play Wemby that quickly. I think they'd probably want to work with him on strength and mechanics more. Scoot might be ready to roll though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wemby could be playing almost up to the draft itself since his season isn't over yet.

Given how careful the Spurs clearly want to be with his development and physical health, I'd be shocked if he plays in that league.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

anakha posted:

Wemby could be playing almost up to the draft itself since his season isn't over yet.

Given how careful the Spurs clearly want to be with his development and physical health, I'd be shocked if he plays in that league.

He will prob play in the BBall World Cup as well.

Speaking of the World Cup, who is going for USA?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

He will prob play in the BBall World Cup as well.

Speaking of the World Cup, who is going for USA?

A pretty baller team so far

quote:

Mikal Bridges (Nets)
Jalen Brunson (Knicks)
Anthony Edwards (Timberwolves)
Tyrese Haliburton (Pacers)
Brandon Ingram (Pelicans)
Jaren Jackson Jr. (Grizzlies)
Bobby Portis (Bucks)
Austin Reaves (Lakers)

They're figuring out the rest still, in particular centers are really important in FIBA ball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

A pretty baller team so far

They're figuring out the rest still, in particular centers are really important in FIBA ball.

JJJ starts, certainly, right?

Like you needs some big idiots off the bench for sure but Brunson/Ant/bridges/Ingram/JJJ seems like the starting lineup for sure.

e: Jarrett Allen would be a good get.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

verbal enema posted:

im trying to find the setting that shows you the play being ran so i can follow it but i cant

It’s somewhere in the coach settings—I think by default it’s set to only show the plays that the user calls, so you have to set it to “all plays”.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

JJJ starts, certainly, right?

Like you needs some big idiots off the bench for sure but Brunson/Ant/bridges/Ingram/JJJ seems like the starting lineup for sure.

e: Jarrett Allen would be a good get.

Jarrett Allen would be good, Myles Turner would be good. I might think about putting JJJ in at PF and bringing Ingram as my 6th man. They've mixed up the starting groups before too game to game.

I know he's not got a lot of shine on him right now, but Ayton would be a good FIBA pick too.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Quoting my own post from the gone fishing thread

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ace Jameson posted:

It’s somewhere in the coach settings—I think by default it’s set to only show the plays that the user calls, so you have to set it to “all plays”.

Huh I swear i turned that on

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lockback posted:

I know he's not got a lot of shine on him right now, but Ayton would be a good FIBA pick too.

dont fiba rules allow for a lot more contact without fouls? seens like ayton would be the opposite of who you want.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ammanas posted:

dont fiba rules allow for a lot more contact without fouls? seens like ayton would be the opposite of who you want.

Rules are basically the same, but in practice they are more lenient on bigs in the paint against guards in particular. But they are also stricter about screens, so guys who bring value from flattening guys on the perimeter don't have as much value.

Finesse rim runners tend to do well and I think Ayton would still be effective defensively.

Hot Dog Day 60
Aug 11, 2003

Did Zogo post the poll results for this year?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Hi, I don't follow the NBA closely. Are the Timberwolves hosed or is there some realistic way to navigate their messy roster construction? Or is that all overstated and they can realistically win with the talent they have now? What's their offseason likely to look like?

I follow baseball, but I don't think the truisms of that really translate to basketball. TIA for any insight

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Milovan Drecun posted:

Hi, I don't follow the NBA closely. Are the Timberwolves hosed or is there some realistic way to navigate their messy roster construction? Or is that all overstated and they can realistically win with the talent they have now? What's their offseason likely to look like?

I follow baseball, but I don't think the truisms of that really translate to basketball. TIA for any insight

They almost certainly won't be contenders.

However, KAT missed 50+ games last season and they still won 42 games. A reasonably healthy roster, Ant getting a bit better, and just roster continuity I can see them being a 2nd round team. That's probably the ceiling more or less but that's pretty good and better than they've done in a long time (and better than most teams do most seasons!)

They did bring LAL to OT without Gobert and McDaniels in the Play-in and while they wouldn't have been as good of a matchup against the Grizzlies I think they would have had a decent chance at an upset.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Wolves have pretty good depth of good players. I think Conley is actually really helpful for them at the end of the year and I don't know how much longer that will be true. I don't feel super optimistic about that team because they're a bunch of weirdos and it doesn't seem like the best three players like or respect each other especially. I think you'd be tempted to see if you can get win-now players for Towns, but even that relies on some serious growth from Anthony Edwards, which it seems like he only does in the last month of each season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Towns would be a win-now guy though. So what team is trading away win-now players for him? Maybe there could be a 3-way thing but those tend to be really hard to setup. I suspect this is more or less the team. At least for next year to see what they can actually do.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

I don't think there is defensive 3 seconds in FIBA, which is why Willy Hernangomez was MVP last summer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Ayton would be a good FIBA pick too.

sliiiiiiight issue with that there.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Smeef posted:

But they both won the sweetest prize of all: destroying the hopes and dreams of Boston sports fans.

Rings are nice and all but making Celtics fans miserable is a fine alternative.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

how did the crab get one last wish if he wasnt living in the lamp

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The Wolves are not hosed, although the Gobert trade was waaaaay too expensive in draft capital. Stand pat, with health luck and some scheme developments theye a 4-8 seed. They can trade KAT or Gobert for something, although probably nothing as big as a return as they spent.

Kibner posted:

I don't think there is defensive 3 seconds in FIBA, which is why Willy Hernangomez was MVP last summer.

yeah so jjj is going to eat everyone's lunch

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think the goaltending rules are different as well, which means Jaren will average 7 blocks a game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think the goaltending rules are different as well, which means Jaren will average 7 blocks a game

but whats the scorekeepers bias???

e: horse

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 14, 2023

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1669028418191597594?t=qwmT8hFb2olAr8bFhrtQuw&s=19

What is this wording

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think you'd be tempted to see if you can get win-now players for Towns

we have this slightly used Tobias Harris no one think too hard about fit on either side just do it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Wizards want to rebuild but they're not signaling fire sale. Yet.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The problem with trading beal is that he's being paid like the best player in the league when he's the 25th best player in the league give or take

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oh so new management doesn’t want to commit to a Beal / Kuzma core for the next five years?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can a horse play basketball?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

The problem with trading beal is that he's being paid like the best player in the league when he's the 25th best player in the league give or take

Eh,. max salaries mean the best players aren't paid like a stack-rank would be. 25th highest salary (Jrue Holoday) is 33m and Beal is at 43 (at 4th). If you're looking to add a player like Beal you probably don't care.

That said, amongst the super-max tier guys Beal is probably the one you'd want the least. Well. Probably Kyrie is the one you want the least but.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Dejan Bimble posted:

And the no trade clause allows Beal to choose where he wants to go. That creates some challenges to say the least.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Isn't Ayton Bahamian anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

Oh so new management doesn’t want to commit to a Beal / Kuzma core for the next five years?

As much as I love Kuzma, he is not the second best player on a contender

Or even a playoff contender