Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

I'm frustrated when I scroll through a thread and see that I've been mentioned or empty quoted earlier in the day and the conversation has since shifted. I have no way of being alerted to this tiny shard of attention.

Describe the solution you'd like

I'd love to receive a push notification any time someone quotes me or mentions me. In fact, I think we should add @ mentions to yospos so we can mention any poster and send them a push notification when they are mentioned, day or night.

This way, I will always be in the loop on my favorite forum.

Describe alternatives you've considered

Going through threads manually, reading posts (?)

Current workarounds:

n/a

Additional context

I don't have time to work on it myself, hoping someone else can build this feature out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cawg:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thread format of jira ticket is this anything?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think of all the times someone’s quoted you and called you a moron but you missed it and didn’t have a chance to defend yourself and now people might really think you’ve got poo poo for brains

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

think of all the times someone’s quoted you and called you a moron but you missed it and didn’t have a chance to defend yourself and now people might really think you’ve got poo poo for brains

i think -- my god, my phone should have vibrated a little to bring this to my attention, so i could defend my honor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or even worse, that validating rush when someone empty quotes you, but .. you were too busy at your child’s baseball game giving away hotdogs, and you missed it

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I guess this answers my stupid newbie question. There’s no way at all to know if someone has quoted you and you have to read all the replies if you actually care about the answers.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

shuffling through story point deck

I think this one is a triangle

maybe a square

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
priority changed to: P0 - required
milestone changed to: r219

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

issue title changed to: posters require constant validation
reassigned to: op's therapist

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Resolution: CLOSED didn’t read

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

*adds self as watcher*

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

well-read undead posted:

issue title changed to: posters require constant validation
reassigned to: op's therapist

420 👎🏼 311 😡 7 🥺

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I'm the engineering manager for the Coupons Forum team and we're blocked on this, see attached burndown chart image:

C:\Desktop\Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 9.16.52 PM.png

Could your manager please reach out to me over Teams so we can huddle and sync about the timeline for this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

:leavemtg:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
signoff from GDPR review team, ok to implement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think you should be able to enter your phone number and get a phone call every time someone quotes u

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Kefa posted:

I guess this answers my stupid newbie question. There’s no way at all to know if someone has quoted you and you have to read all the replies if you actually care about the answers.

wow new users that aren’t re-regs. welcome

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if I recall correctly valeyard used to manage some browser extension that had some features like that, but I don’t know if it had that feature specifically, nor what happened to the dude. he started doing coding for the forums then failed and disappeared as far as I remember

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

OldAlias posted:

if I recall correctly valeyard used to manage some browser extension that had some features like that, but I don’t know if it had that feature specifically, nor what happened to the dude. he started doing coding for the forums then failed and disappeared as far as I remember

that extension was nice while it worked

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kefa posted:

someone in cspam posted a search query they used to find when they'd been quoted, so it's possible

search kinda sucks though so i'm not really sure where that post is. i can try to find it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
here's an extension for ya:

🖕

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol yeah search sucks i can't find it. but i think it was forums poster mawarannahr, maybe shoot them a PM

you can also try and build your own query. while search is bad, it actually has a lot of options to make that easier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
surely it should be easy to add a hack to the forums engine so that there’s an rss for every single post and then some other machine handles the notifications

make it so two computers take the task

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
like an nntp backend??????????

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Resolution: Needs Review

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
after manually going through cspam threads by descending replies i found the thread, it was mawarannahr

e: lol either its a different thread or he edited it out. goddamnit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what we should have is a search field for threads in awful app coz sometimes I have something quite special to share to a specific thread and I have to read them like I’m some kind of chimp?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

yospos-bot marked this issue as Stale

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

OldAlias posted:

wow new users that aren’t re-regs. welcome

thank you, I’ve been looking for a good and active forum for a while now, and then remembered about SA, lurked for a bit and now I’m here as well

Beeftweeter posted:

after manually going through cspam threads by descending replies i found the thread, it was mawarannahr

e: lol either its a different thread or he edited it out. goddamnit

thank you for the effort though, it’s not a huge deal, I’m here to read the threads anyway, I just wanted to confirm I wasn’t missing anything

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Kefa posted:

thank you, I’ve been looking for a good and active forum for a while now, and then remembered about SA, lurked for a bit and now I’m here as well

thank you for the effort though, it’s not a huge deal, I’m here to read the threads anyway, I just wanted to confirm I wasn’t missing anything

valeyards old plug-in was called ‘SA needful.’ there’s some old threads and dead links but some can prolly be resurrected with archive and the like. if you have programming competency the distance to a working solution might not be too much work, but it’s work all the same

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just do what i do and post in a thread and then forget about it until it has 10 new pages of unread posts and skip them all to the most recent

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

since this did what you asked I figured I’d mention it, but tbh I prefer that this place isn’t so noisy with notifications, and reading threads chronologically is really nice compared to smth like, the tree style of Reddit, which is affected by ‘spiral of silence’ issues from vote brigading

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

OldAlias posted:

since this did what you asked I figured I’d mention it, but tbh I prefer that this place isn’t so noisy with notifications, and reading threads chronologically is really nice compared to smth like, the tree style of Reddit, which is affected by ‘spiral of silence’ issues from vote brigading

Yeah Reddit is terrible for any actual discussion, it’s a link sharing website. But I can see why it’s better if all you want to do is scroll for an hour without engaging with anyone. To be fair I’ve always just bookmarked the threads I liked and read all the new replies anyway. I think I can survive missing someone quoting me too.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i forwarded your request to engineering, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

just do what i do and post in a thread and then forget about it until it has 10 new pages of unread posts and skip them all to the most recent

hell yeah buddy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
[AUTOMATED MESSAGE]

This JIRA has been closed and moved to the new platform where product managers let crucial functionality tickets wither and die. It will eventually be moved from there into a similarly-ignored and poorly-implemented Salesforce app.

No, the long history of discussion about why this matters will not be carried over. Yes, the ticket on the new platform will be closed for inactivity.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Sprint was changed to 2023 Q1

Sprint was changed to 2023 Q2

Sprint was changed to 2023 Q3

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

someone in cspam posted a search query they used to find when they'd been quoted, so it's possible

search kinda sucks though so i'm not really sure where that post is. i can try to find it

on mobile so can’t check but can’t you just do quoting:”Beeftweeter” and make sure all the forums are checked? did this extension do some time filtering or something?

maybe I’m putting too much faith in forums search but I swear that worked / is in the default text under the search bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Hed posted:

on mobile so can’t check but can’t you just do quoting:”Beeftweeter” and make sure all the forums are checked? did this extension do some time filtering or something?

maybe I’m putting too much faith in forums search but I swear that worked / is in the default text under the search bar

yeah that's one of the examples, it should work. i don't remember what his thing did differently