Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm tagging this tech because internet/app stuff does this all the time for the last few years but welcome to hear anything getting worse purely for The Algorithm or other dumb reasons

--the "images" button on Google is now placed randomly in a list of hashtags they think you should click
--almost every streaming service puts "continue watching" behind the fold (makes you go find it by hitting down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My TV just got an update that makes me look at a bunch of apps I don't care about before I can select input.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
--google doesn't put the wikipedia page anywhere consistent anymore. Sometimes an info block based on the wiki article with the link, sometimes a similar one without a link, sometimes the wikipedia article is 3/4 down the page

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
First page of Google results is all AI-generated/bullshit copy optimized to hell to be caught in search to serve ads

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

First page of Google results is all AI-generated/bullshit copy optimized to hell to be caught in search to serve ads

Why is there even a shopping button anymore?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
YouTube search gives you maybe one or two results directly related to your search, the rest are very vaguely related, and there's no way to simply request more results for the words you searched. This is at least true on my TV's app. Videos I used to be able to look up by name don't even show up any more without like adding the account name. :wtc:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
They changed the formula for orange Fanta and now it no longer has 5% real juice in it, it tastes worse, and now has a gross aftertaste.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my back hurts if I sleep on it wrong

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

my back hurts if I sleep on it wrong

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

pubes getting gray

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

if I search for a music video on google it takes me to the mobile site by default for some reason, which turns off if you go to another tab, so i have to click the video title again to open the normal desktop site

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They moved the fingerprint sensor from the back of Samsung phones to be on the front so you use it on the screen, it makes screen replacement tedious and if you get someone else to do it it's dumb expensive because of this

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I had to get a job and it is horseshit.

HORSE

poo poo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not specific, but every time there is a small company gets known doing/making something good and well it then get brought up by a large multinational and within two years at most they're been effectively closed down and the multinational is just using their name to sell what ever crap the multinational always sells.

my4thacctfor61423
Jun 15, 2023
thread literally becomes a multi-thousand page megathread within hours

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

New exciting change as of tonight which is tiny but annoying, opening videos from youtube into a new tab with middle click no longer works when clicking on the video thumbnail, it now requires you to do it on the title. It's probably a firefox exclusive issue, because google goes out of their way to sabotage firefox, a 70 market share is not enough; it's also much higher than 70 if you consider that most remaining alternatives are chromium-derived.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
The Wirecutter used to have good reviews, with like, here is what we suggest and why, here is what you give up if you go for the budget option, if that's important to you, and here is what you get with an upgrade pick, but we don't think it's worth it.

Then it got bought by the NY Times and it's like, here are 25 father's day gifts, why you need a peloton, or 9 deals you need right now.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Microsoft is trying to push a new Outlook on me that is just their web version called an application with no features for applying rules to sent messages or for dragging and dropping emails out of the UI as if they were files.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
youtube still recommends loving blippi videos despite having cleared my history and never even having watched one. one autoplayed for one second before i stopped it. it's going to make me quit the internet entirely. just seeing the thumbnails makes me want to rip everything in the room apart like an ape. i made the special effort to clear the poo poo and it's still there.

i've read the "enshittification" article, and understanding why everything sucks doesn't help matters. i'm calling it now. the internet is over. email to your relatives and friends is on thin ice but the internet is cooked

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
bunch of foods in the UK suddenly have milk on the ingredients list so they're no longer Vegan even though they used to be. I can't eat pringles anymore, or bournville chocolate.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

bunch of foods in the UK suddenly have milk on the ingredients list so they're no longer Vegan even though they used to be. I can't eat pringles anymore, or bournville chocolate.

did they add dairy or are they just being more honest?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

did they add dairy or are they just being more honest?

not sure, I suspect there are regulations about how deeply you have to clean machinery between milk containing batches and milk free batches and it was too much effort so they just made milk an official ingredient to avoid allergy issues

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

you would think if you just put a random or obscure word straight into google the first result would always be the dictionary but no it will in fact be some software company that calls itself by that word, a shopping website tagged 'advert' followed by that same shopping website not tagged as 'advert' and then reddit, which is dying

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

not sure, I suspect there are regulations about how deeply you have to clean machinery between milk containing batches and milk free batches and it was too much effort so they just made milk an official ingredient to avoid allergy issues

So in the best case you as a vegan are paying them to operate machinery used to process materials of animal nature.

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
Every aspect of every transaction down at the store taking just that little bit longer because all that information has to go to the goddamn mothership out in space and back as it happens before each step of the transaction can proceed. God help us all when the power flickers on and off. Every fuckin thing's gotta automatically check for updates. Please wait. I'm sure it all makes life easier for some weirdo bean counters somewhere.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Mysterious Jim posted:

Every aspect of every transaction down at the store taking just that little bit longer because all that information has to go to the goddamn mothership out in space and back as it happens before each step of the transaction can proceed. God help us all when the power flickers on and off. Every fuckin thing's gotta automatically check for updates. Please wait. I'm sure it all makes life easier for some weirdo bean counters somewhere.
Yeah but avocado purchases rise by 0.3% on every third Wednesday of the month. We need to set our team on this, and really dig deep into the detail on where it came from. We'll put so much time and energy into it, and by 2030, it will go up to 0.4.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
To share from the youtube app I now have to scroll sideways through a list of things I don't want to share to until I get to a "more" button that brings up a list with things I may actually want, but still with what I would use most often buried at the bottom

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tewdrig posted:

The Wirecutter used to have good reviews, with like, here is what we suggest and why, here is what you give up if you go for the budget option, if that's important to you, and here is what you get with an upgrade pick, but we don't think it's worth it.

Then it got bought by the NY Times and it's like, here are 25 father's day gifts, why you need a peloton, or 9 deals you need right now.

Rolling Stone does this now too

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The clouds aren't what thry used to be

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i can't screenshot my phone if i opened a private tab

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Parsley posted:

you would think if you just put a random or obscure word straight into google the first result would always be the dictionary but no it will in fact be some software company that calls itself by that word, a shopping website tagged 'advert' followed by that same shopping website not tagged as 'advert' and then reddit, which is dying

A Google query for "define:word" will try to give a result from the Oxford dictionary if it can, I think.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

they pushed an update to the Android keyboard I use that has hosed it up yet again

this happens maybe twice a year :fuckoff:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They moved the fingerprint sensor from the back of Samsung phones to be on the front so you use it on the screen, it makes screen replacement tedious and if you get someone else to do it it's dumb expensive because of this

They did the same thing on the pixel and it sucks. Not to mention that since it's under the screen it works inconsistently if I have a screen protector on.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

At some point in the last few weeks, YouTube has been running like poo poo for me, occasionally videos will stop buffering and I have to refresh the page before the video will start playing again. Only happens on my work laptop, and it doesn't seem to be related to any of the crap my work installs. Drives me absolutely bonkers

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Everytime I've gone to save an image off the internet for a dumb Photoshop it saves as an internet file instead of a dang jpeg

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Saalkin posted:

Everytime I've gone to save an image off the internet for a dumb Photoshop it saves as an internet file instead of a dang jpeg

Oh yeah, Webp files! Which places like imgur refuse to allow upload of years after they started showing up.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

anytime a developer thinks adding an extra menu to something that was easily accessible should get the guillotine

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i swear to god Google Maps gets a little more awkward to use every month

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
all the major food delivery apps spent a few years competing to have better UI/features than eachother and the last few years systematically removing those features and making their search less useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Peggy Edson posted:

anytime a developer thinks adding an extra menu to something that was easily accessible should get the guillotine

We use Microsoft Dynamics for CRM and in the previous version the “Save” and “Save and Close” buttons were right next to each other, which makes sense.

In the latest release they moved “Save and Close” to a drop down under “Save” and the button next to “Save” is “Close as Lost” which definitely didn’t cause any issues when everyone’s muscle memory went there to save and close.