Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

There's a program I use every every day at work that includes clicking on a date on a calendar to select that date.

For some reason they just changed it. Instead of a simple left click to select the date, now you have to right-click on it to bring up a dropdown, then left click to choose "select date".

Why would anyone do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

In the latest release they moved “Save and Close” to a drop down under “Save” and the button next to “Save” is “Close as Lost” which definitely didn’t cause any issues when everyone’s muscle memory went there to save and close.
Hahah, at the point it starts to feel openly malicious.

Oh what's also really great is when a social media site rollout UI changes in a seemingly arbitrary manner over a long period of time. I've run training social media workshops for people with poor digital literacy before and gently caress does it make it a headache, particular cos often they don't even give any good description of what the UI changes involve or when they'll be rolling out.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They moved the fingerprint sensor from the back of Samsung phones to be on the front so you use it on the screen, it makes screen replacement tedious and if you get someone else to do it it's dumb expensive because of this

Back of the phone fingerprint readers are better than in screen readers or face unlock and I will die on this hill.

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
Sure is hosed that all these companies don't even bother pretending to offer consent and just openly declare that the only two options you get when confronted with unwanted features and unnecessary updates are "yes" and "keep asking me again and again until either I give in and say yes or the day comes when the update is unstoppably and irreversibly applied to this device regardless of how everyone feels"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

all the major food delivery apps spent a few years competing to have better UI/features than eachother and the last few years systematically removing those features and making their search less useful

:hai: this is like 10+ years ago now, but Amazon did the same thing, probably for the same reason - scammers complained. I quit (cold turkey :imunfunny:) delivery apps 2+ years ago, but I noticed that a lot of :airquote: restaurants :airquote: were just some random business address. Yes I'm aware of ghost kitchens and marketing ghouls creating competing lines from the same store, but it seems more like the 21st century version of the hotel-pizza-flyer scam. That scam is still running hot and heavy near major resorts, I stayed in a hotel near Sea World 6ish months ago and there was a big :lol: warning in the lobby about ordering food from adverts slid under the door. Ofc there were still a ton of adverts and I still saw people getting 'Little Tonys' delivered. :laffo: 20 bux for chicken wings!

ElectricSheep posted:

not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

:tinfoil: IMO a lot of major suppliers are purposefully using cheaper ingredients as a way to kick up profits. Junk food that I used to think was sorta OK tasting (ofc its literal poison) now tastes like worse. Chipotle and Panera quality took a loving nosedive over the pandemic and never returned, especially Panera. I've had better salads from a display fridge in an airport :barf:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 15, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ALL food is worse now. EVERY supplier is using the lovely stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube seems to have buried watch later into the dots menu, and in it's old place there's a button that marks the video as already watched. why. why you do this.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

MyFitnessPal dropping the UPC scan feature from the free version of the app, despite it being a core component for like a decade. Exclusive to the paid version now. gently caress that.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

:hmmyes: I moved halfway through the pandemic and I thought that the local grocery store just had lovely produce, but it seems like everywhere has lovely produce. Also Vons steaks went from p. decent to super greasy. :shrug: Frikken pandemic has made me effectively stop eating beef.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

GolfHole posted:

The store brand ice cream used to be fine but now it's terrible

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Discord instead of here

Arrrgghhhhhh

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
When I watch YouTube through a chromecast it likes to put a banner ad on the bottom for YT Premium that requires me to dig through the phone app to get to where I can click the 'dismiss' button. Then it reappears on the next video, just in case I changed my mind.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

When I watch YouTube through a chromecast it likes to put a banner ad on the bottom for YT Premium that requires me to dig through the phone app to get to where I can click the 'dismiss' button. Then it reappears on the next video, just in case I changed my mind.

YT premium is actually pretty baller though

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I could fill this thread will the rapidly decaying state of Microsoft Software. Windows, Outlook, loving Excel are all just circling the drain. It makes me laugh that Dynamics is also just seeing stupid changes too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm pretty sure I could fill this thread will the rapidly decaying state of Microsoft Software. Windows, Outlook, loving Excel are all just circling the drain. It makes me laugh that Dynamics is also just seeing stupid changes too.

I would go ahead and say that from a combination of capitalism and covid, ALL software that existed pre-2020 is on its way into the toilet

(due to staffing changes, for-profit mentality, and AI cost-savings)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Spinz posted:

Discord instead of here

Arrrgghhhhhh
I do not know what this means but I make it a habit to not use online services if my handle is taken already (yes I am old enough that I am from an era where unique usernames were still possible), and Discord hosed ME GOOD by suddenly going from "everyone use whatever" for all those years I used it to "CHOOSE YOUR SINGLE IMMUTABLE HANDLE" and, of course, some Turkish guy going by Quarex had randomly gotten there first as is usually the case in anything post-2010

Still it is an honor to be so popular in Turkey

Also Steam updated to make every "game on your wishlist is on sale" occurrence pop up in your notifications area, and if you try to turn it off it tells you the servers are too busy to complete your request. Just amazing

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

functional GUIs are literally lost technology at this point

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Spinz posted:

Discord instead of here

Arrrgghhhhhh

I'm assuming you mean people using Discord instead of this place and I agree.

But take heart, because I'm pretty sure Discord is just in the "keep making it better" phase still where it's kept afloat by investor money. I have hope more people will return when it inevitably becomes poo poo from a usability standpoint in a few years as the investors squeeze

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Amazon used to be automatically country specific to your location for physical media (especially region-coded stuff like DVDs and Blu-rays) so if I were to search for an older movie like say, something like Thunderbolt & Lightfoot on Blu-ray and I specified as such, instead of just bringing up the North American Kino Lorber Blu-ray (that I bought) like Amazon should and used to do, it now brings up several regions and worldwide versions of the movie on both DVD and Blu-ray and you have to dig through all the listings to find the specific version you’re looking for. It sucks when I’m looking for older films on Blu-ray and get excited to see Amazon has it, only to realize it’s got the U.K. or German ratings stickers plastered all over everything and it’s not region-free. And yes, I’m well aware of region-free players and 4K being region-free, but I don’t have 4K anything.

Amazon has turned to poo poo in general, though. It’s become nothing more than an AliExpress reseller with cheap garbage named HGGZCH and WAADDBCHJ and poo poo. I’ve been having great luck with eBay.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah I didn't renew Prime for the first time since I got it in like 2012. I think I've made like 4 purchases since, for stuff I can only get from Amazon. The glory days when they were actually cheap with 2 day shipping are long gone.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prettz posted:

functional GUIs are literally lost technology at this point

There are parts of SA that are undeniably dated or whatever, but might actually be the most functional and snappiest website I visit. It's utterly insane how pathetic the business of web design (and app design) is.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 15, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There are parts of SA that are undeniably dated or whatever, but might actually be the most functional and snappiest website I visit. It's utterly insane how pathetic the business of web design (and app design) is.

The android app is also really nice, presumably because it's not made by some late-stage capitalist company trying to extract maximum value for minimum effort.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

This drives me up a goddamn wall.

Peggy Edson posted:

Go gently caress yourself

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I presume it's all done at the direction of upper management at the behest of six sigma black belts. There's no way it could be so consistently poo poo across so many devices unless it was the digital equivalent of the milk aisle - intentional obfuscation of functionality that statistically shows to lead to less profitable outcomes.

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Peggy Edson posted:

Lol that you pay for this

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

noticed i cant arrange vids on youtube by oldest uploaded anymore?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I presume it's all done at the direction of upper management at the behest of six sigma black belts. There's no way it could be so consistently poo poo across so many devices unless it was the digital equivalent of the milk aisle - intentional obfuscation of functionality that statistically shows to lead to less profitable outcomes.

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

Some of it is very transparently there to drive ENGAGEMENT etc, but I've always assumed that most of it is UI developers trying to justify their jobs by constantly reinventing the wheel and discovering there's only so many ways to make a wheel before you're just making it lovely on purpose.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

cumpantry posted:

Lol that you pay for this

$40 for a year in a goon family group is worth it to not have my workouts interrupted 4 times by ads :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

not as many ducks anymore

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Peggy Edson posted:

$40 for a year in a goon family group is worth it to not have my workouts interrupted 4 times by ads :shrug:

suffer in solidarity brother

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

Some of it is very transparently there to drive ENGAGEMENT etc, but I've always assumed that most of it is UI developers trying to justify their jobs by constantly reinventing the wheel and discovering there's only so many ways to make a wheel before you're just making it lovely on purpose.

Heard from people who work in UI often it's just layers of management just all wanting a say and wanting to make a mark, so often UI developers end up having very little say on a lot of the more important parts of the UI. Which on a large app makes a lot of sense to me as I really can't see random lead UI lead #1 having all that much say about what are the most important elements in a UI compared a bunch of managers all wanting the thing there departments working on to be directly in the middle of the screen, flashing and in the largest font possible.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Mysterious Jim posted:

Sure is hosed that all these companies don't even bother pretending to offer consent and just openly declare that the only two options you get when confronted with unwanted features and unnecessary updates are "yes" and "keep asking me again and again until either I give in and say yes or the day comes when the update is unstoppably and irreversibly applied to this device regardless of how everyone feels"

I still haven't accepted the new Whatsapp privacy policy, and it keeps popping up every couple of days. There is no decline button

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pepsi in the uk no longer has sugar in and it tastes disgusting because of all the sweeteners. They are still charging like 2.50 a bottle though as if it was full sugar and subject to the sugar tax and have not marketed theyve done thus. Its now gross and the only full sugar soft drink in the uk is now coke.

When yoy go into a pub now and they go "oh, we dont have coke we only have pepsi, is that okay?" The answer is now only "water then, cheers"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I would too.

I find it especially interesting because I work in tool development, but it's all proprietary - we get to build complex poo poo for complex use cases and the UI fits that for professional users. The UI is very expressive and modular - something I would value in any piece of software. I'm curious how things that are big and public facing company with millions of users. How does something like new reddit or new facebook happen, because they both seem like garbage piles. I'm sure there is a story here.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Phone tree hold music/quality of cell phone voice audio in general? Worse, I swear. I think by saving .0005% extra bandwidth by reducing the call quality to the human threshold for understanding something such as speech, they save $1 at the end of the year.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Oh! I've got one! Calling Pizza Hut. Not the food itself, which is pretty ok, but calling the store.

So you get to Pizza Hut and pull in the curbside spot. You call the restaurant. Instead of just picking up the phone, it routes to a call center in India and you talk to the guy (amid terrible call quality) who then has to relay to the store that you are waiting outside. Like what the gently caress. The guy never has any idea what is going on, either. And other companies do this, too. All to save on labor. :grindsmygears:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Last one: YouTube serving 5 minute anti-trans political ads, disguised as pro-trans ads. Or Prager videos, with seemingly no way to opt out. Just... despicable. Makes me want to burn down a pizza hut.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Big Bizness posted:

MyFitnessPal dropping the UPC scan feature from the free version of the app, despite it being a core component for like a decade. Exclusive to the paid version now. gently caress that.

Yep, un-installed as soon as I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm a phone dev. Redesigns are because executives or middle managers get bored and want to point at something and say "I did that"