Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I hate the small windows in every car today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

modern car design has focused on "safety" so much the messaging may as well be "feel free to crash at any time!"
And that safety only includes vehicle occupants, not pedestrians or cyclists. The EU and other places have mandated pedestrian safety standards in vehicle design for years now, but we just keep getting increasingly deranged giant trucks with vertical grilles the height of an adult.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

its a joke when i sit in my little 80s coupe that weighs 2000 lb and compare that to a "compact car" of today which is longer, taller, weighs 1000 lb more and has visibility so bad i feel like im in a truck.

Not being able to see my surroundings through the windows is bad enough on newer cars that I stopped driving, and won't be renewing my license when that comes up. Yeah, I could get an older car, but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm expected to drive someone else's.

Fuckin' love when I'm crossing the street at a crosswalk and I can't see any of the drivers.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 26, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

humpthewind posted:

I hate the small windows in every car today.

Cars are like 80% pillars by weight nowadays, and the windshields keep getting tinier. I had to rent a new car recently and they stuck me in a Nissan Altima. I figured it'd be fine since it's got a pretty big footprint, but I could barely see through the windshield because it was so loving short. Even with the seat at its lowest setting I had to hunch down a bit to get a proper line of sight and I'm only 6'3". There was almost no visibility out of the rear passenger windows, and the back windshield was equally squashed and tiny. The thing was literally a rolling blindspot, I was so happy to get back into my 15 year old Subaru where I can raise the seat to a height that doesn't wreck my knees while also being able to see through the windshield.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

part of it is federal safety mandates as well. anti-intrusion protection and rollover protection has created some absurdly strong chassis which are quite large. its also why backup cameras and blind spot sensors are basically mandatory now, pillars are so thick (mandatory curtain airbags also beefing up the pillars), and the glass is so small and high that sightlines around the car are very very bad. its a joke when i sit in my little 80s coupe that weighs 2000 lb and compare that to a "compact car" of today which is longer, taller, weighs 1000 lb more and has visibility so bad i feel like im in a truck.

modern car design has focused on "safety" so much the messaging may as well be "feel free to crash at any time!"
I'm sure safety requirements affect some aspects of the design it but it's not the reason cars are ginormous. They managed to make these ones pretty safe for example:

so, you know, they don't have to be this loving huge

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Cars are like 80% pillars by weight nowadays, and the windshields keep getting tinier. I had to rent a new car recently and they stuck me in a Nissan Altima. I figured it'd be fine since it's got a pretty big footprint, but I could barely see through the windshield because it was so loving short. Even with the seat at its lowest setting I had to hunch down a bit to get a proper line of sight and I'm only 6'3". There was almost no visibility out of the rear passenger windows, and the back windshield was equally squashed and tiny. The thing was literally a rolling blindspot, I was so happy to get back into my 15 year old Subaru where I can raise the seat to a height that doesn't wreck my knees while also being able to see through the windshield.

Hard to believe a cars pillars need to be much stronger than those of a Saab 99/900. This car has incredible visibility!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Z284Fv0cc

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

buffbus posted:

Why stop there? When my current Subaru eventually dies, I probably won't even replace it. I'll just sit in the driveway and make engine noises with my mouth while bouncing in the seat. Food delivery will cost a bit but it's better than dealing with a new one with auto engine stop.

Speaking of things which suck, yeah, auto engine stop sucks. It's especially awful in traffic when it's 100 degrees outside.

Also my first car would sometimes stall at stoplights and refuse to restart so you can imagine the stress that might trigger.

You can turn auto start stop off usually

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

You can turn auto start stop off usually

Yeah but you have to do it every single time you start the car.

Has that feature shown any measurable improvement on real world emissions? Or is it there to give them more fuel efficiency points with government regulators? I’ll shut up about it if it’s helping.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If it stops my neighbour idling outside for an hour for no reason...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Toyota sales guy told me that it was better for my Rav’s engine

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

wash bucket posted:

Has that feature shown any measurable improvement on real world emissions? Or is it there to give them more fuel efficiency points with government regulators? I’ll shut up about it if it’s helping.

3-12% improvement in MPG, depending on how much stop and go traffic you drive in, shown in repeated tests both professional and by YouTubers.

On a base level, I think you start saving gas as long as the car is stopped for at least 7 seconds, although some say at least 30.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Giant Metal Robot posted:

3-12% improvement in MPG, depending on how much stop and go traffic you drive in, shown in repeated tests both professional and by YouTubers.

On a base level, I think you start saving gas as long as the car is stopped for at least 7 seconds, although some say at least 30.

also, if you gotta deal with a squirrelly situation at at a light or whatever, you can bypass it by pumping the break pedal once. tap over to s-drive while you’re at it and you’re pretty much set to jump out the gate like an rear end in a top hat (unless you have one of those weak rear end non-turbo 2.0l subarus)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

start stop engines are vastly inferior to turbo hybrid powertrains

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

quite frankly, every engine that needs more than a simple lobstersaurus for service is a steaming pile

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

You can also stand to be a little uncomfortable some of the time. It's not the end of the world if your car doesn't work for 100% of scenarios and only 99%. This obsession with not having once to endure the slightest inconvenience in our daily lives has led to some absurd outcomes IMO.

In America this is like saying you hate God and apple pie, there is nothing more sacred in this hell country than moment to moment convenience, even in this thread we have people complaining about the dark patterns built into modern ad supported software and then balking when slightly less convenient alternatives are brought up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The extra cherry on top is that all those truck jagoffs have little idea how to actually drive these things without serving all over and generally being a danger to everyone else.
Hello, Bumble McHugeTruck, it's not my fault your right turn goes so wide it carries into two other lanes. Stop staring at me

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

Not being able to see my surroundings through the windows is bad enough on newer cars that I stopped driving, and won't be renewing my license when that comes up. Yeah, I could get an older car, but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm expected to drive someone else's.

Fuckin' love when I'm crossing the street at a crosswalk and I can't see any of the drivers.

The aforementioned Subaru happens to be the largest of theirs and it's still really easy to see all around it. The only downside is that it has tall windows and a downward curving hood which does a poor job of communicating to the world that I am a big strong man with massive man parts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The visibility in my 2014 Forester is absolutely wonderful. By far the best I've had in any car I've driven or maybe even been in.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
It's almost like Subaru knows their customers. They are kinda ugly and very boring but generally functional.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

buffbus posted:

It's almost like Subaru knows their customers. They are kinda ugly and very boring but generally functional.

I'm ugly, boring, but non-functional. They almost had me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

buffbus posted:

One time I went to a music festival in Black Mountain, NC and I think I saw every single Subaru sold in the USDM since 2000 in that parking lot. It seemed like half the cars there were Subarus and much of the other half were Mazdas.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Woolie Wool posted:

One time I went to a music festival in Black Mountain, NC and I think I saw every single Subaru sold in the USDM since 2000 in that parking lot. It seemed like half the cars there were Subarus and much of the other half were Mazdas.

Just going to post this without saying who was at the festival?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jelly posted:

James Taylor?

NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me?

Maybe it was a wild Yanni concert.

edit: vvv eh, not far off

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jelly posted:

What sort of people do you think attend a world music festival up in one of the only left-wing-friendly places in the south? It was just straight up crunchy granola, and god bless them for keeping those two carmakers afloat in the US.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Did someone say "Baltimore traffic" yet?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah but at least one of those miatas was faster than a corvette

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah but at least one of those miatas was faster than a corvette

lmao no these were sedans and the mini-minivans, hippies don't give a poo poo about driving fast

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Woolie Wool posted:

lmao no these were sedans and the mini-minivans, hippies don't give a poo poo about driving fast

maybe not them mountainfolk hippies

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I don't care, I hate it and I want it to go away. It should be an option that is easy to turn off for the stubborn morons like me.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't care, I hate it and I want it to go away. It should be an option that is easy to turn off for the stubborn morons like me.

How much easier than "a single button press" do you want them to make it for you to waste gas for no reason

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Has auto stop been around for long enough for it to be known how it affects the lifespan of the engine?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cerekk posted:

How much easier than "a single button press" do you want them to make it for you to waste gas for no reason

No button press?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
From a mechanical standpoint, if I can permanently turn off the passenger side airbag I don't think it's unreasonable to turn off autostart/stop.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My wife seriously complains every single time the auto-start/stop triggers in her car if she forgot to push the button that trip. She even turns it off when I’m driving her car.

It doesn’t bother me, and I’m used to the instant-go afforded by my EV. The only thing I dislike is that in her car you lose AC power and it’s just the blower when it activates.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

It doesn’t bother me, and I’m used to the instant-go afforded by my EV. The only thing I dislike is that in her car you lose AC power and it’s just the blower when it activates.

My car is at least smart enough to disable that behavior if the AC hasn't come up to temp yet. It will even pop up and tell you that's why the car is still running.

Though I just realized my car has pop up notifications and now I have even more strong opinions.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone say eBay yet? Just sold something for $20 and I got like 15 and change payment. Is eBay seriously charging 20% to sell on their site now? Lol.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

you can get little override dongles that patch into your canbus for that. if you don’t have the chops to install one yourself, guaranteed you can get it done at any shop with a giant trump flag out front

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Atopian posted:

Did someone say "Baltimore traffic" yet?

It was already worse this morning. But not for no reason.

I test drove a new Camaro a few years ago and it was like driving a tank, visibility was awful.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
The engine auto shutoff is so annoying for my commute. I usually take a back route to work that includes about 6 4-way stops out in the boonies. Unless there's a bunch of traffic, most people do slightly rolling stops since you can see traffic from a mile away as you're pulling to the intersections and I can't tell you how many times the sudden loss of acceleration causes confusion because people think you're letting them take right of way before your car suddenly decides to turn back on.

Probably more of an infrastructure problem but still a gripe I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Squiggle posted:

No button press?

Yeah how bout the automatic shutoff is an optimization thing that you enable, rather than the default??