Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It really is that dumb and bad and since UI is the visible part it's a "big" change they can pat themselves on the back for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Phone tree hold music/quality of cell phone voice audio in general? Worse, I swear. I think by saving .0005% extra bandwidth by reducing the call quality to the human threshold for understanding something such as speech, they save $1 at the end of the year.

With hold music, yeah there's a Tom Scott video on that, but basically first off all the audio on the phones are badly compressed specifically to retain voice, which screws over music which has far more range, but often now the music is getting compressed in the corporate communication systems at multiple points each time turning more and more garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A8q3XIhu0&t=100s

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Peggy Edson posted:

YT premium is actually pretty baller though

That’s fine but I’m not changing my mind on it between 10-15 minute videos and if I want to pull the trigger on it I’d be able to find a way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Oh yeah, Webp files! Which places like imgur refuse to allow upload of years after they started showing up.

I hate that my phone will happily download a webp file...it will let me see it in my Downloads folder if I open that directly...it even shows me PREVIEWS of the Webp files when I go to select an image to share to someone in Google Voice or other chat app.

Only when I click on the file and then hit "Send" will it tell me the file type is unsupported.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

it's called MVP

minimally viable product

it was never meant to be good

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

beef jerky cost the same but now 2.85oz instead of 3.25oz in the bag

bad bad bad

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Steam's UI updated today. I was using a skin, Steam Compact, but not only does the new UI break the skin, it doesn't support skins at all. Everything is gigantic now; I have to assume the new interface is meant to be legible on the Steam Deck. But I don't have a deck with a three inch screen, I have a whole-rear end monitor, I don't need buttons the size of Fischer Price toy icons.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

aniviron posted:

Steam's UI updated today. I was using a skin, Steam Compact, but not only does the new UI break the skin, it doesn't support skins at all. Everything is gigantic now; I have to assume the new interface is meant to be legible on the Steam Deck. But I don't have a deck with a three inch screen, I have a whole-rear end monitor, I don't need buttons the size of Fischer Price toy icons.
So many interfaces are seemingly designed to be used by blind morons, yet somehow old people still cannot read them. The worst of all worlds

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Oh yeah, Webp files! Which places like imgur refuse to allow upload of years after they started showing up.

This on top of google images just having shittier results made it worthless for me. A friend suggested using Bing for image search and its actually really good for that, with additional suggestions to refine searches and jpgs and poo poo. I'm now unironically Binging it

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

I really just gotta laugh at this because as someone who used to work at a Pizza Hut that was ran by an idiot franchisee, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case that they made things cheaper and worse. I watched Pizza Hut corporate make a bunch of dumbassed decisions and then I watched my district manager make stupid decisions and sadly had to watch my decent general manager try her best with this bullshit.

To actually contribute to the thread, I realized that Google searching loving sucks now. I have to get increasingly creative with my search parameters to actually find something relevant to what I'm asking.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Went to Banana Republic Factory outlet, and could not find a single pair of mid-rise pants. DON'T THEY KNOW THAT SHORT GUYS LOOK LIKE poo poo IN LOW-RISE PANTS!?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The worst part is that technically speaking, they're quite good - nicer than jpeg at the same size, smaller at equal quality, and an open standard without patent problems that's easy to support. It's just a shame that some crucial links in the chain have dragged their feet for years and years on supporting them.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Nestea used to make a powdered sweet iced tea mix that was not “good” but I loved it. A while ago they decided the wanted to be a fancy tea company to appeal the the youth or something and pulled it from the shelves. Their new product launch didn’t appear to succeed since you don’t see it anywhere, so instead of bringing back the one thing they had that sold, they just don’t seem to be doing anything.

Also Famous Amos switched to some new “better” chocolate and the whole thing is worse now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A mcchicken, a small fry, and a drink at mcdonalds is 8 dollars now. Why do they think any meal on their menu is worth 8 dollars, let alone one that comes with a child size fries order.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandparents' bank is ending paper billing. For people who are young that's easy to grasp and transition to because we all grew up with that technology. But my grandparents now have to spend hours transferring all of their assets over to a web based system that looks the exact same and runs the exact same except they don't get a paper transaction each month. They're confused, frustrated, and the bank won't help them because there are many cases ongoing for some strange reason.

To "protect the environment"

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

CubanMissile posted:

Nestea used to make a powdered sweet iced tea mix that was not “good” but I loved it. A while ago they decided the wanted to be a fancy tea company to appeal the the youth or something and pulled it from the shelves. Their new product launch didn’t appear to succeed since you don’t see it anywhere, so instead of bringing back the one thing they had that sold, they just don’t seem to be doing anything.

I remember eating that stuff directly from the bag and watching MTV all summer when I was like, 12. I'll always associate it with that one Hootie and the Blowfish video where they're driving around in golf carts. Sad that it's gone.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ElectricSheep posted:

not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

They changed their recipes like 20 years ago, it's been poo poo ever since

HOWEVER, Dominos makes a pizza that is loving identical to 90s pizza hut, it's uncanny. Order a pan pizza with 'classic' sauce from dominos and you're a pitcher of root beer and a chintzy stained glass chandelier away from your childhood

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The whole loving planet is like a degree hotter than when I was born.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's a program I use every every day at work that includes clicking on a date on a calendar to select that date.

For some reason they just changed it. Instead of a simple left click to select the date, now you have to right-click on it to bring up a dropdown, then left click to choose "select date".

Why would anyone do this?

that's chaotic evil as gently caress

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

With hold music, yeah there's a Tom Scott video on that, but basically first off all the audio on the phones are badly compressed specifically to retain voice, which screws over music which has far more range, but often now the music is getting compressed in the corporate communication systems at multiple points each time turning more and more garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A8q3XIhu0&t=100s

Higher voice compression algorithms don't even use voice, they use a series of tones to approximate voice. If you're on a corporate phone network and you call an extension thats outside your office, your voice stream will be up & downsampled at least twice :byoscience:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The guy who invented autoplaying videos that fly around the screen needs to be shot.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
After that we can execute whoever keeps removing chronological sorting from websites

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Everyone responsible for turning Wikia into Fandom is going to suffer eternally in the fiery pit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

They changed their recipes like 20 years ago, it's been poo poo ever since

HOWEVER, Dominos makes a pizza that is loving identical to 90s pizza hut, it's uncanny. Order a pan pizza with 'classic' sauce from dominos and you're a pitcher of root beer and a chintzy stained glass chandelier away from your childhood

I had a boss who worked in corporate for pizza hut at the time and their description was "the stupidest, cheapest mother fuckers who didn't know what a pizza hut was got put in charge"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Peggy Edson posted:

YT premium is actually pretty baller though

Newpipe is the same thing, minus that pesky fee

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arrhythmia posted:

Everyone responsible for turning Wikia into Fandom is going to suffer eternally in the fiery pit.

What is this? Why do they think I care how many views things are getting?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Barudak posted:

I had a boss who worked in corporate for pizza hut at the time and their description was "the stupidest, cheapest mother fuckers who didn't know what a pizza hut was got put in charge"

This but every other company also

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
McDonald's used to have Large drinks for only $1.00 and a few months ago they raised it to $1.39.

Buuuuuullshit

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

$1 beefy five layers at taco bell got me through a bad part of my life and I'm still a little mad they're like 4 dollars now lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Grimace posted:

McDonald's used to have Large drinks for only $1.00 and a few months ago they raised it to $1.39.

Buuuuuullshit

When this one was made, the woman at the drive-thru preemptively apologized to me as if she personally made the change, apparently LOTS of people were pissed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The editing program I use to make my let's plays VEGAS got bought from Sony, The Sony, by a company called MAGIX and they immediately ruined its performance and functionality. You pretty much can't use it without a crash and there are dozens of videos on YouTube from internet faith healers claiming they know how to make it stable.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

IMDB somehow managing to put less and less actual information on their pages with every update is pretty impressive.

Plex has also steadily marched from useful to trash in every way.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
So what do we learn from this? With everything online being slowly degraded.

Will there, or can there, be a regression to less profit-seeking domination of internet functionality? Like eventually the whole internet will be hosed, right, and people won't want to wade into the sewer of AI SEO hell anymore. What comes up instead?

I think the one kind of good thing that still happens online is when there IS a good thing, people can all start using it if they want. Or is that me mistaking "good things on the internet" for "addictive, habit-forming things on the internet"?

Like couldn't some old fuckers or idealistic nerds create some workable alternatives to this stuff that focuses entirely on giving the people what they want, meaning human interaction and human-made content?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean to be fair going on the internet back in the mid to late 90's was pretty poo poo in a lot of ways as well. Like I really don't miss dial up. There's a lot of poo poo stuff happening at the moment, but just for a lot of basic function stuff, finding and streaming video and music has never been easier, neither has chatting to mates either by txt of video chat. SA's still around, and honestly rare need any other forum stuff other than that. I think probably the worst thing happening internet wise that actually affects me any is that google search has become pretty poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Kind of adjacent to 'Every software product is going into the gutter' -- There was a thread on Yospos about a search engine you pay for called Kagi. "lol search you pay for wtf?" Yeah, so 3 weeks after laughing that concept out of the room and toying around with it for kicks... I now pay for search.

My hope is that we will eventually at least optionally graduate out 'you are the product'-kind of services as the only option and more toward, 'actual premium services you pay for' as an option. It blew my mind at both how competent Kagi is, and how incompetent Google/Bing/etc are, but this I suppose is the difference between a product that is focused on trying to sell itself to you VS a product that is focused on selling you to advertisers.

I've been tempted to make a Kagi thread on SC/SH just because of how much I despise modern Google.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 16, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The best websites are bare HTML ones maintained by academics and hosted on university servers. Nothing else comes close in quality really.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Jabberlock posted:

This on top of google images just having shittier results made it worthless for me. A friend suggested using Bing for image search and its actually really good for that, with additional suggestions to refine searches and jpgs and poo poo. I'm now unironically Binging it

I’ve been using Bing for years now as Google has gotten worse and worse and worse. Bing is also getting worse, and used to be pretty amazing if you were an artist trying to find specific reference pictures. Like it was some sort of loving savant in the “pictures similar to this” section. If I found a pose I wanted it would suggest me dozens of pictures of different people in nearly the exact same pose. Recently I’m grinding my teeth with it trying to figure out what string of words will return the images I know for a fact exist that I need to complete commission work. I am currently looking for a better alternative to Bing.

Also they very recently hosed the reverse Google image search function that I used to use to call out PencilHands Reddit reposts.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Babe Magnet posted:

$1 beefy five layers at taco bell got me through a bad part of my life and I'm still a little mad they're like 4 dollars now lol

Hell yes, I still associate them with fleeting relief from existential torment. Well, that and rotgut vodka.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
YouTube is just making it harder and harder for channels to survive. It strikes you if you review anything, it sinks your appearance on the algorithm if you're not uploading multiple times a week, and it demonetizes you if you use a "bad word." To the point where creators have a whole stupid language to talk around the trigger words, like "un-aliving" to say "suicide."

Also YT keeps recommending me toxic right-wing takes on things I like. I literally can't block them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Das Boo posted:

YouTube is just making it harder and harder for channels to survive. It strikes you if you review anything, it sinks your appearance on the algorithm if you're not uploading multiple times a week, and it demonetizes you if you use a "bad word." To the point where creators have a whole stupid language to talk around the trigger words, like "un-aliving" to say "suicide."

Also YT keeps recommending me toxic right-wing takes on things I like. I literally can't block them all.

It's extremely bad if you make videos that are at all about raising suicide awareness and others that contain non-pejorative uses of these 'forbidden phrases'. Anything reassuring is treated under the same umbrella as threats. Genuine advice and assistance are clumped together with angry gamers and true crime videos.