Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ive sort of accepted these days if you want quality stuff, you have to pay for it. a lot of the free app/program style stuff on phones/tablets/the internet are things of the past now. i use macrofactor, there's no free mode, its a paid app, but it has the quality and polish that youd expect for somethign youre paying for

I don't mind paying for poo poo, I just want to pay for it one time up front and have that be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tokelau All Star posted:

I don't mind paying for poo poo, I just want to pay for it one time up front and have that be the end of it.

I had paid a No Ads IAP for an app before and when I returned to it a few years later ads were mandatory and my purchase just…vanished. It was only like $2 but that plus games/apps over $5 have to be really impressive to me since basically all phone apps are live service now and all of this just feels ephemeral anyways.

I know capitalism doesn’t work this way but I wouldn’t mind if more apps just went into bare-maintenance mode sooner and let good enough be…good enough.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Good enough is perfect and perfect isn't good enough. I'm creating a PowerPoint presentation on the subject. Its terrible.

withak posted:

These days companies make different grades of stuff for different markets. Levi's could be selling you disposable tissue paper pants on Amazon and reasonable stuff in hard copy stores or at more upscale websites. They will probably look identical.

This really should be illegal unless clearly marked

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

That's just not workable for something like a food tracking app. It needs constant labor and infrastructure to stay functional. New Android/Apple update broke something? Engineers have to get up in the morning and fix that. A company added a new product with a new SKU? Someone has to put that into the database. Every food search is backed by a data center that has technicians and engineers and janitors and accountants. So does the chip foundry that's making chips for the data center or the city hospital that provides healthcare for them , etc.

Like, even completely offline software will not stay functional forever. Every Windows update has the potential to break it. Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 10 althougher in 2025, so someone needs to get up and update your bought software to be compatible with Win 11.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

wash bucket posted:

It’s time to let Amazon go. It’s knock-off poo poo all the way down.

is there a good alternative to it for buying random poo poo yet

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
especially considering amazon put a lot of the local stores that used to have that poo poo out-of-business. So your choices are Amazon, or the few things your local Wal-Mart has in-stock.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

especially considering amazon put a lot of the local stores that used to have that poo poo out-of-business. So your choices are Amazon, or the few things your local Wal-Mart has in-stock.

no wal-mart here on knife crime island, thankfully

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

It isn't though. I get it but the alternative means leaving the house, paying more, more effort or not getting what you want. gently caress that. You can't make me. I was even at CVS to get medicine had some sniffs of the deodorant and was like "eh this is like 4 bucks cheaper on Amazon" (it was actually like 2 bucks cheaper. I don't want to just order a stick of deodorant so it's sitting in my cart until I have other things to order. My drug of choice is Amazon and I refuse to give it up.

that deodorant is probably counterfeit and lol this is a very sad post to read

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The "everything on Amazon is counterfeit" view is an excellent propaganda campaign by their competitors

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I must be a VIP at my cvs because when i want deodorant I have to contact a worker who comes over and uses a special key to extract it from a locker.

Which takes a long time and I find I can break the locker door by pulling hard a moment. Then I take my 1 item and go pay. I do this at Target too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

that deodorant is probably counterfeit and lol this is a very sad post to read

No it probably isn't, maybe learn to capitalism better? I went with the trust worthy seller "Qalecao INC DIRECT". Did I make that name up? Maybe.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Relyssa posted:

is there a good alternative to it for buying random poo poo yet

People buying random poo poo is what put us in this situation to begin with.

I'm so grateful Amazon are still barely breaking top 5 online retailers in my country. They don't have the cheapest prices on everything, and they are probably barred by EU competition rules from bundling free Prime shipping with subscriptions to their videos, so they might not actually be able to kill all retail here. Yay, I guess.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 16, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

satanic splash-back posted:

The "everything on Amazon is counterfeit" view is an excellent propaganda campaign by their competitors

It isn't, because outside of designer goods and high end electronics, no one cares if their products are counterfeit.

The only factor for 99% of goods is price and availability, and in those arenas they largely can't be beat. Even when it comes to price, people are willing to pay a little more if Amazon can drop the product on their doorstep next day, rather than driving to a store 10 minutes away.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
if you still pay for amazon prime post your pathetic rationalizations here so we can laugh at you for being a big stupid sucker

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I ordered jeans on Amazon a couple of times and they all developed holes around the back pockets within like a month, right where my rear end is. Then I went to the store and got the same type/size and they were perfectly fine. Amazon sold me fake Levi's :mad:

I worked for a high end clothing company for a while about 10 years ago and at the time they had a main high end clothing retail sales store and "discount" version of themselves where you'd get out of season poo poo and people loved it.

But then around the time I was working there they started developing the "made for discount store" goods which were like high end knock offs "at totally still great quality" and for a few years it was decent ish. I no longer worked for them by this point.

I went into the discount store semi recently and holy gently caress the quality is just a joke and they no longer seem to sell any of the discount high end stuff at all. Its all just forever21/shein level of quality poo poo now while still sporting the high end brand names.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rack, huh. I noticed. :mad:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

dreezy posted:

if you still pay for amazon prime post your pathetic rationalizations here so we can laugh at you for being a big stupid sucker

You get free 1(-5) day shipping (once the item ships, 4 days after your order is placed)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i pay for it because my partner orders a lot of poo poo and it all gets delivered same day which is pretty convenient

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

People complain about the shipping but they tend get things to me in 2 days pretty consistently. Not perfectly but like 90% of the time? 95%? I do live in Connecticut which is a dense state so maybe that's why. Maybe I'm wrong.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Abandon modernity, return to personally-curated website lists

There used to be catalog/directory search engines. Yahoo used one for a long time.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the most interesting thing to me is finding out someone at Google is still making changes to the algorithm for any reason other than to directly prioritize a company that is paying them money

Imaging a Waterworld old guy in the tank type of job.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

That's just not workable for something like a food tracking app. It needs constant labor and infrastructure to stay functional. New Android/Apple update broke something? Engineers have to get up in the morning and fix that. A company added a new product with a new SKU? Someone has to put that into the database. Every food search is backed by a data center that has technicians and engineers and janitors and accountants. So does the chip foundry that's making chips for the data center or the city hospital that provides healthcare for them , etc.

Like, even completely offline software will not stay functional forever. Every Windows update has the potential to break it. Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 10 althougher in 2025, so someone needs to get up and update your bought software to be compatible with Win 11.

This is the kind of poo poo AI should be programmed for, not ruining the concept of search engines.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

dreezy posted:

Please tell me how to get it for free and I'll quit paying for it. Almost everything is next day or 2 days where I live and I can get things I need, many times far cheaper than a store and I don't have to waste part of my day going to get whatever it is. My time with family/dog/hobbies is more valuable than sticking it to the man and canceling my Prime membership that Jeff Bezos would never miss in the first place.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I get my credit card bills delivered in the mail because so I'm guaranteed not to forget them, and my latest one had an ad for Micro Center in it :psyduck:

Like, they were printing out my bill and after the list of payments page 6 of 7 is just a full page black and white MicroCenter advertisement.

e: Amazon Prime is basically the Steam of irl for making it really quick and easy to buy a ton of garbage you don't actually want and will never use, as far as I can tell

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 17, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

dreezy posted:

Please let me know what other cloud storage provider will let me back up 5+TB of photos for $10/mo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

Please let me know what other cloud storage provider will let me back up 5+TB of photos for $10/mo

I pay $75/year for SmugMug. I think I'm grandfathered in with the unlimited plan though

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

kdrudy posted:

Of the doorknob or the butthole?

The doorknob, obviously. Buttholes only come in one size: not quite enough.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

GABA ghoul posted:

We somehow survived before everything became a subscription. I think we'll manage.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Time_pants posted:

We somehow survived before everything became a subscription. I think we'll manage.

started thinking about what is something, I would really hate to lose.
Medicine - gently caress that's a subscription
and indoor plumbing

As bad as it might be to find public toilets now-a-days,
Let's make a pact right now that is anybody tries to turn indoor plumbing into a subscription service, they should be drowned in a sewer.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 17, 2024

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

dreezy posted:

It’s only 6.99 a month because they let me put in my years since deactivated ebt card

also the drivers here are stupid and can’t figure out apartment numbers so like once a month I show customer service the picture of the wrong delivery address and bitch at them and get the item for free

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In order to better serve our valued customers, our state of the art restroom facilities and filtered water dispensers are now activated by scanning our shopper membership rewards app! Just choose if you wish to purchase one time use of the services or a convenient monthly access fee (billed annually)

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I hate my drat government subscription. They keep bundling all these drat features together that I don't want or need. Like fine, feed kids, but I'm not personally benefitting from my old-rear end legislators getting top flight healthcare and dragging their corpses into the Capitol.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Sentient Data posted:

In order to better serve our valued customers, our state of the art restroom facilities and filtered water dispensers are now activated by scanning our shopper membership rewards app! Just choose if you wish to purchase one time use of the services or a convenient monthly access fee (billed annually)

Just wait, soon you'll be required to watch an ad to run the faucet in your bathroom or to flush your toilet. That is unless you pay for a premium, on-demand water service (on top of your monthly water bill) for essentially what most of us are fortunate to enjoy now.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I pay $75/year for SmugMug. I think I'm grandfathered in with the unlimited plan though

Costs the same as Prime for new subscribers and doesn't include all the bonus stuff that Prime does. Plus has one of the stupidest names of all time so I would avoid them on principle either way.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Electronics suppliers started doing this years ago for Products destined for Walmart. I think they may have even made even-cheaper-special-bullshit models for Black Friday

this is 100% true. Part of the reason for the cheap-as-poo poo black friday models is they get a special part # so that other retailers can't price match them, although TVs in particular have been a race to the bottom for cost for a while now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

pencilhands posted:

also the drivers here are stupid and can’t figure out apartment numbers so like once a month I show customer service the picture of the wrong delivery address and bitch at them and get the item for free

Be nice to your Amazon delivery drivers.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

wash bucket posted:

Be nice to your Amazon delivery drivers.

I am, just not to jeff bezos

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

this is 100% true. Part of the reason for the cheap-as-poo poo black friday models is they get a special part # so that other retailers can't price match them, although TVs in particular have been a race to the bottom for cost for a while now.

Sure they are almost definitely tracking and selling everything you do but even the good TVs are cheap these days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i may not like amazon, but i'll defend to the death my right to buy cheap garbage from it

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Cerekk posted:

Is this included with amazon prime or are you talking about AWS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
Also, for as lovely as Amazon is, I went to my local Michaels to get some art supplies thinking "hey I'll do my OWN same day :smugdog:" and literally everything like pencils and sketch pads were more expensive. Same brand. Same item number. All $2 more. IF THEY EVEN loving HAD THEM IN STOCK. I left mondo depressed