Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Woolie Wool posted:

Nature does not give one tiny gently caress about your sprint goals

E: it's amazing how many people here think capitalists can just violate laws of physics, as if reality itself is as weak and submissive as the modern proletariat

I worked briefly for a biotech company that made an absolute killing off of COVID. We're talking consecutive record-breaking years of profit. When COVID finally started to wane, upper management informed the sales department that their targets were going to remain the same despite the demand for their product dropping precipitously between fiscal years.

There's no manager that won't try to pull rank on nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Reminds me of that TV weatherman who got fired over management mandating a certain number of severe weather events per month.

Source

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I worked briefly for a biotech company that made an absolute killing off of COVID. We're talking consecutive record-breaking years of profit. When COVID finally started to wane, upper management informed the sales department that their targets were going to remain the same despite the demand for their product dropping precipitously between fiscal years.

There's no manager that won't try to pull rank on nature.

Yeah and nature just keeps ignoring their demands. They can set targets and scream at people and what they want will still not happen, any more than Stalin and Lysenko could turn nearly useless taiga soils into the breadbasket of Eurasia. They will not find a "sustainable" replacement for fossil fuels. They will not sustain even today's flimsy façade of economic growth (the world's real economy peaked around 2018, and the US in particular peaked around 1970, economies across the world are, in real terms, shrinking, even if the made-up numbers still increase). They will not prevent their own destruction and replacement by tribal societies (for those who are lucky) or warlords (for those who are not). The industrial age is almost over and will never come back unless another species like us evolves around 100 million years in the future after fossil fuels have had time to replenish naturally--and theirs will end the same way.

And as far as the feudal warlords go, they tend to be much more pragmatic than tech industry managers, because failure in warlording usually means death for them and their entire dynasty. The grandson of a cop who rules over your descendants in 2150 might be an illiterate brute but he either accepts that he can only get so much out of his land and subjects, or he will be replaced by someone with more realistic aspirations.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 25, 2024

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The Lowe’s and Home Depot near me also removed staffed registers and turned everything into self-checkout. Now the two or three former cashiers just stand around waiting for some old to gently caress up scanning something so they can feel human for a fleeting moment.

It sucks, too because Lowe’s has such a sweet and lively animated cashier that has since resigned her spirited character because she doesn’t have a register anymore :( I asked why they got rid of the registers and she pointed out there are still two registers left. The two remaining registers look like they’re permanently closed and blocked off out of sight.

I think there’s still staffed registers in the garden area and the lumber/commercial exit, and I dread when those convert to self-checkout.

Lowe's and HD are the worst stores to self checkout in.

I have a 100LB garage shelving unit, 420 nuts and bolts of various sizes with the smallest UPC codes ever, a chainsaw, and 12 cans of paint precariously being moved around in a too small shopping cart. And now my klutzy rear end has to fight to pay for that poo poo?

gently caress off. I'm going to ACE.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah and nature just keeps ignoring their demands. They can set targets and scream at people and what they want will still not happen, any more than Stalin and Lysenko could turn nearly useless taiga soils into the breadbasket of Eurasia.

Look man, I agree. But when managers and reality disagree, who do you think suffers? Hint: it's not the managers.

And it's not nature.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 25, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe they can't change the nature, but they can kill lots of people, op

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dreezy posted:

i get beard dandruff on mine. would love to have less of that

It probably won't get rid of all of it, but if you aren't already using beard oil or something similar, do so, and make sure you are getting it on your skin, it's to keep your skin healthy and moisturized in addition to your beard hair.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

You do also have the option of shaving the beard. Just thinking outside the box!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I've mentioned this before but it happened to me again today... those pump bottles you twist the top to open? almost none of them open anymore, doesn't matter what brand or anything. have to use pliers to hold the bottom in place and twist. does anyone else have this skill issue ?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah and nature just keeps ignoring their demands. They can set targets and scream at people and what they want will still not happen, any more than Stalin and Lysenko could turn nearly useless taiga soils into the breadbasket of Eurasia. They will not find a "sustainable" replacement for fossil fuels. They will not sustain even today's flimsy façade of economic growth (the world's real economy peaked around 2018, and the US in particular peaked around 1970, economies across the world are, in real terms, shrinking, even if the made-up numbers still increase). They will not prevent their own destruction and replacement by tribal societies (for those who are lucky) or warlords (for those who are not). The industrial age is almost over and will never come back unless another species like us evolves around 100 million years in the future after fossil fuels have had time to replenish naturally--and theirs will end the same way.

And as far as the feudal warlords go, they tend to be much more pragmatic than tech industry managers, because failure in warlording usually means death for them and their entire dynasty. The grandson of a cop who rules over your descendants in 2150 might be an illiterate brute but he either accepts that he can only get so much out of his land and subjects, or he will be replaced by someone with more realistic aspirations.

http://www.spaceavalanche.com/2009/11/16/technology-fail/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hank Hill gettin' a bj by the balding guy.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

wash bucket posted:

Reminds me of that TV weatherman who got fired over management mandating a certain number of severe weather events per month.

Source

Gonna be honest, this is related to pretty much the only conspiracy theory I believe, which is that the weather channel / weather network (varies by area) is in cahoots with oil companies and grocery store chains to whip up hysteria about heavy rain/snow so people will go out and buy more gas and groceries.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just noticed Facebook groups have 'top contributor' tags for most prolific commenters.

From what I can see, and the names I recognize, there's almost perfect correlation between 'top contributor' and 'human garbage'.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Context menus in Windows have become terrible over the years. It used to be a handful of options, but now when I right click on a picture to rename it, I get a context menu that spans the entire screen - filled with stuff like classify& protect, cast to Device, 2 different zipping options, a bunch of share stuff, Defender, etc.
The "Rename" entry isn't immediately visible on that menu. No, it's so chock full of nerd bullshit that I've got to scroll the context menu to reach the bottom where the extremely uncommon "rename file" is located. But I can't use the scroll wheel. Click a little arrow for one line scroll at a time.

gently caress you

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

wash bucket posted:

Source

I swear this poo poo has gotten worse the past few years, every other day there's a "SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING" and it turns out to be an hour of light rain.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My local stations go a step further and run fake stories about tornado damage that didn't happen, using archive footage.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Context menus in Windows have become terrible over the years. It used to be a handful of options, but now when I right click on a picture to rename it, I get a context menu that spans the entire screen - filled with stuff like classify& protect, cast to Device, 2 different zipping options, a bunch of share stuff, Defender, etc.
The "Rename" entry isn't immediately visible on that menu. No, it's so chock full of nerd bullshit that I've got to scroll the context menu to reach the bottom where the extremely uncommon "rename file" is located. But I can't use the scroll wheel. Click a little arrow for one line scroll at a time.

gently caress you

FYI at least some of that stuff is either optional stuff you enabled or options added from apps you installed. My right click menu is the same size it's always been and has a 'rename' button at the very top. It sounds like you enabled the 'show all options by default' option if you're on Win 11.

\/ Copy and paste (when applicable) are both at the top of the context menu too, but also lol if you aren't using ctrl+c/v

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 25, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Copy and paste should always be the top options on right click context menus !!

Ahhhh

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For sober weather reporting in the US, just use the national weather service and read the dang "forecast discussion." It's a text blurb written, sometimes wittily, by a scientist who probably isn't a TV personality.

There will be terms you don't understand, but at least in mine, they're hyperlinked and maybe, just maybe, it's worth learning a thing or two about your local climate and the funny names meteorologists use for them.

One of my local TV stations uses a fake holodeck that the weather lady wanders around in, a 3000 foot tall woman who elegantly glides over the Bay Area, her body continually blocking her own forecast and local temperatures. The forecast is imprisoned in those floor-to-ceiling tube traps from the climactic final battle of the second or third Resident Evil movie, and the full forecast doesn't even fit on the dang screen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

big mean giraffe posted:

FYI at least some of that stuff is either optional stuff you enabled or options added from apps you installed. My right click menu is the same size it's always been and has a 'rename' button at the very top. It sounds like you enabled the 'show all options by default' option if you're on Win 11.

\/ Copy and paste (when applicable) are both at the top of the context menu too, but also lol if you aren't using ctrl+c/v

It's a locked down corporate laptop, Windows 10.

Adjusting the context menu in 10 seems to require registry editing or some other power shell wizardry the IP cops would choke hold me over

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 25, 2024

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

doctorfrog posted:

One of my local TV stations uses a fake holodeck that the weather lady wanders around in, a 3000 foot tall woman who elegantly glides over the Bay Area, her body continually blocking her own forecast and local temperatures. The forecast is imprisoned in those floor-to-ceiling tube traps from the climactic final battle of the second or third Resident Evil movie, and the full forecast doesn't even fit on the dang screen.

This enormous woman will devour us all!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

doctorfrog posted:

For sober weather reporting in the US, just use the national weather service and read the dang "forecast discussion." It's a text blurb written, sometimes wittily, by a scientist who probably isn't a TV personality.

I had no idea this existed. The link is just tiny text below the map and I never bothered to click on it. In fact I never even noticed it.

Thank you!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had no idea this existed. The link is just tiny text below the map and I never bothered to click on it. In fact I never even noticed it.

Thank you!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Windy is the app I use for weather, it let's you swap between different data collection services, does wind, rain, particulates, wave height. And in a change from this thread, while you can pay for it all that gets you is slightly higher resolution and predictions longer than 10 days out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Thank you!

You can use a radio to tune in directly to the weather service to get forecasts, no internet middleman required.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr&ln_desc=NOAA+Weather+Radio/

Or better yet, use your SDR to get satellite imagery directly from the source.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What's your antenna setup for that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

You can use a radio to tune in directly to the weather service to get forecasts, no internet middleman required.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr&ln_desc=NOAA+Weather+Radio/

Or better yet, use your SDR to get satellite imagery directly from the source.

I'm absolutely shocked that the weather is not DRM protected. Weather forecast piracy must be rampant

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For renaming stuff, just hit F2 or slow double click, it actually works in a lot more things than you'd expect.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

What's your antenna setup for that

A very basic vee dipole I made out of scrap I had kicking around. Two ~52cm elements with 120 degrees of separation, ziptied to a chunk of wood that can be set up and torn down quickly for overhead passes. This is plugged in directly to the SDR too, with a cheap LNA the image would look even cleaner.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Weather.gov is the coolest website on a .gov for sure

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

I've mentioned this before but it happened to me again today... those pump bottles you twist the top to open? almost none of them open anymore, doesn't matter what brand or anything. have to use pliers to hold the bottom in place and twist. does anyone else have this skill issue ?
:same:

doctorfrog posted:

The map they have haveis also great for point forecasts if you’re hiking or whatever.Nice to take the guesswork out of accounting for elevation, etc.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes, tap-to-pay works. Sometimes when I try to tap-to-pay, I get a message telling me to swipe or insert the card. How is it even possible to have a card with a chip with a tap-to-pay success rate of neither 0% nor 100%? :psyduck:

Local Walgreens by me has chip insert, but you have to insert it with the chip facing *down* (unlike 99 other places where you do it face up). It's the only retailer I've ever been to that does it and apparently every customer inserts it the incorrect way the first time according to the cashier. Just, why? I mean I know the answer is, "it saved us 10 cents per unit to orient them wrong" but it's so bizarre and lovely.

Also re: weather exaggeration... There were so many overblown bad weather alerts down here that when we really had a weather emergency no one paid attention.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 26, 2024

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

One of my local TV stations uses a fake holodeck that the weather lady wanders around in[/url], a 3000 foot tall woman who elegantly glides over the Bay Area, her body continually blocking her own forecast and local temperatures. The forecast is imprisoned in those floor-to-ceiling tube traps from the climactic final battle of the second or third Resident Evil movie, and the full forecast doesn't even fit on the dang screen.

Does it feel invasive knowing the station manager's fetish?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm absolutely shocked that the weather is not DRM protected. Weather forecast piracy must be rampant

It is part of the mission of the National Weather Service to provide weather information for free as a public good. All of the dot coms that give you the weather just take free NWS data and tweak and repackage it.

The former CEO of AccuWeather and sex pest enabler Barry Myers spent a lot of AccuWeather's money and resources attempting to change the law to make it illegal for the NWS to provide weather directly to the public and force them instead to provide it for free only to entities like AccuWeather, for repackaging and sale to the public. For these efforts, the Trump administration rewarded him with a nomination to head NOAA, which is in charge of the NWS.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yes Windows 11 I totally want the taskbar labels to be different sizes, that's a perfectly normal thing to have it do. You suck so much.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cerekk posted:

It is part of the mission of the National Weather Service to provide weather information for free as a public good. All of the dot coms that give you the weather just take free NWS data and tweak and repackage it.

The former CEO of AccuWeather and sex pest enabler Barry Myers spent a lot of AccuWeather's money and resources attempting to change the law to make it illegal for the NWS to provide weather directly to the public and force them instead to provide it for free only to entities like AccuWeather, for repackaging and sale to the public. For these efforts, the Trump administration rewarded him with a nomination to head NOAA, which is in charge of the NWS.

Privatizing public services simply allows the service to find the optimal, most cost effective delivery*.

*Ymmv

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Verdugo posted:

Local Walgreens by me has chip insert, but you have to insert it with the chip facing *down* (unlike 99 other places where you do it face up). It's the only retailer I've ever been to that does it and apparently every customer inserts it the incorrect way the first time according to the cashier. Just, why? I mean I know the answer is, "it saved us 10 cents per unit to orient them wrong" but it's so bizarre and lovely.

I saw that too at a Walgreens. Only place I've ever seen that has you put it in upside down. I wonder how many times the cashiers there have to tell people to flip their card in a shift.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

Privatizing public services simply allows the service to find the optimal, most cost effective delivery*.

*Ymmv

Lol I love it. Love too pay our oligarch failsons loads of money to deliver what used to be provided for free

And it's going to be awesome as we Habsburg ourselves and the hereditary rulers we have installed are too Highly Regarded to do anything but be idiot pawns to their cops and courtiers. Justin Trudeau not being able to get any job outside of loving drama teacher even though his daddy was PET should have been a hint

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

cat botherer posted:

:same:

The map they have haveis also great for point forecasts if you’re hiking or whatever.Nice to take the guesswork out of accounting for elevation, etc.

I've been using that map for hiking for years. Also fun to click on mountain areas when storms are approaching and seeing poo poo like 48 inches of snow and 90 MPH winds expected overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

They rarely make it through a whole bottle and that’s even if the drat pump doesn’t break off first because the kids knock them over in the tub.