Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Drew Gooden must be reading this thread, playing all the hits about what sucks about modern cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7GU9lDpq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've given thought to what I want to see in a modern car and it's mostly things I don't want to see and halfway through I realized this is never gonna happen, but here it is anyway:

-LED headlights that are simple in shape and design with cheap and easily replaceable components.

-Physical dials, physical knobs

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

-Overall design should be rugged and simple, meant to be easy to work on and service at home.

-No absurdly large wheels with low profiles, 16" wheels is fine with a decently large tyre.

-Keep the canbus system simple and engine focused.

-No automatic helpers, no cameras and poo poo, just design the car so you have good visibility. The sedan shape is actually pretty good for this.

Basically I want an old car, but with better safety.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I saw that too at a Walgreens. Only place I've ever seen that has you put it in upside down. I wonder how many times the cashiers there have to tell people to flip their card in a shift.

I'm dumb as hell so they have to tell me every time. :smugdog:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just got an email last night from Google about how they're making Google Pay worse. That second one is really something special....

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I just got an email last night from Google about how they're making Google Pay worse. That second one is really something special....

So they're shutting down the service without saying they're shutting down the service?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've given thought to what I want to see in a modern car and it's mostly things I don't want to see and halfway through I realized this is never gonna happen, but here it is anyway:

-LED headlights that are simple in shape and design with cheap and easily replaceable components.

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

-Overall design should be rugged and simple, meant to be easy to work on and service at home.

-No absurdly large wheels with low profiles, 16" wheels is fine with a decently large tyre.

-No automatic helpers, no cameras and poo poo, just design the car so you have good visibility. The sedan shape is actually pretty good for this.

almost all of that stuff is bad for business sorry

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think it's just a rebrand at least with the app thing, and it's been wallet for a while?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

So the trend has been for several years to shrink the rear window, because you can get better fuel economy with a more sloped rear profile.

The new thing is to remove it entirely. So you want to avoid reversing over your kids? Better hope the rear camera doesn’t get dirty!

https://www.engadget.com/polestar-4-first-look-when-no-rear-window-makes-for-a-better-car-150052884.html

(They also break almost all of the other rules you put up so this car is clearly not for you. Or me.)

Also,

“[url posted:

https://www.habbaspilaw.com/children-driveway-backover-accidents/“[/url]]
every week approximately fifty children are backed over by cars in the US because a driver could not see them. Of these fifty, at least two prove to be fatal. The reason for this is that more than 60% of backover crashes involve a large vehicle, such as a pickup truck, van or SUV.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

I'd like to see a car that was deliberately stripped down and simple, and was intended for people to be able to work on it. Basic fundamental safety features, but nothing fancy. Nothing fancy at all, just a fundamentally sound, simple car.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

several of these are literally impossible for car makers to implement now due to federal safety regs

:sigh:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

several of these are literally impossible for car makers to implement now due to federal safety regs

:sigh:

No infotainment system - 5 years in jail
No soft buttons - 6 years

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would actually like to know what of these are impossible due to safety regs?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

For example, one of the reasons everything has a rear view camera is because the visibility has been drastically reduced from the simultaneous balancing of crash safety requirements via stronger frames and gas mileage requirements via total weight

That's not to say it's impossible impossible but this was the new equation to be solved and it optimized to this solution around cost

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

More specifically, rear view cameras are mandatory in the US on new cars. Mostly to mitigate the sad statistic on murdered babies I quoted above.

The one assistance system I’ve understood is actually improving safety is the blind spot warning light. Cars with those actually get into fewer accidents. Which is not true with adaptive cruise control or other drive-assist tech.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The backup camera is required in the US in all new vehicles since May 2018. This law was the ultimate result of lobbying by a guy that backed over his own kid in the dark (in a regular old sedan). The requirement for a backup camera means it is most sensible to use the same screen for the stereo display, i.e. no DIN.

Cars are no longer simple to work on because modern fuel economy cannot be achieved without sensors and computers to control the engine and transmission. Even more so with things like hybrid drivetrains.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 26, 2024

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

They should put a display for the backup camera in a place that's visible when you're looking behind you and backing up, instead of making you choose which kind of poo poo visibility you want.

On two different occasions my parents have had someone reverse out of a parking spot straight into them without looking and both times the driver just shrugged and said "no alarms went off". As if it was totally out of their hands.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 26, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Car designers should stop putting children behind cars

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cerekk posted:

Cars are no longer simple to work on because modern fuel economy cannot be achieved without sensors and computers to control the engine and transmission. Even more so with things like hybrid drivetrains.

lmao a lot of modern stuff gets woeful mileage because everything is so big and heavy but needs to have some level of performance. I have a 1987 Civic that will do about 46mpg combined, engine tech has probably improved since then so why is a huge chunk modern stuff barely getting 35mpg and people are lauding it as great?

Cars should be smaller, lighter, less powerful.

Alternatively public transport should be everywhere because people barely want to pay attention long enough before they crash their poo poo anyway. (driving standards have definitely gotten shittier).

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cerekk posted:

The backup camera is required in the US in all new vehicles since May 2018. This law was the ultimate result of lobbying by a guy that backed over his own kid in the dark (in a regular old sedan). The requirement for a backup camera means it is most sensible to use the same screen for the stereo display, i.e. no DIN.

There were some pretty fuel efficient cars, they did have computers but you could still do a lot of work on them yourself. Since the auto manufacturers seem to have given up on economy cars it would be cool if they just made an economy car open standard or some poo poo and each cranked out variations on some 4cy cvt garbage that you can fix yourself and get used and aftermarket parts that work on a bunch of different cars across a timespan.

They could bring back DIN, just make an open standard for hooking up the camera.

I don't know why I'm even wasting the thought because there is zero chance of any of this happening but it would be a good thing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

More specifically, rear view cameras are mandatory in the US on new cars. Mostly to mitigate the sad statistic on murdered babies I quoted above.

They're mandatory in pretty much every first-world country now. I never understood the people who vehemently hate them; they give you a much wider field of view behind the vehicle than is otherwise possible, which is particularly nice in parking lots or if you are trying to hook up a trailer by yourself.

Then again, there are still people who hate seat belts and refuse wear them for whatever reason.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The_Franz posted:

They're mandatory in pretty much every first-world country now. I never understood the people who vehemently hate them; they give you a much wider field of view behind the vehicle than is otherwise possible, which is particularly nice in parking lots or if you are trying to hook up a trailer by yourself.

Then again, there are still people who hate seat belts and refuse wear them for whatever reason.

The last car I rented in the UK was some SEAT hatchback that had the screen for a backup camera for EU sales, but the camera itself removed, presumably to save £5 for UK sales

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

It means you have a camera in the back and a screen up front, both which break easily and are expensive to replace. The screen up front means you probably now have touch crap everywhere, and with that comes another can of worms.

Basically, a rear camera means your entire front console is expensive, fragile, and lovely.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The_Franz posted:

I have older relatives that thought seatbelts were a great idea and wore them every time they drove but then removed them from their cars as soon as they became mandatory. Sometimes "lol eat poo poo" is the only reason.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It means you have a camera in the back and a screen up front, both which break easily and are expensive to replace. The screen up front means you probably now have touch crap everywhere, and with that comes another can of worms.

Basically, a rear camera means your entire front console is expensive, fragile, and lovely.

break easily huh

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've literally never heard of those things breaking. I'm sure they do occasionally, but not enough to worry about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

None of that stuff sparkles in the show room. Car are made to impress people in the show rooms. You need huge iPads and macho styling

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Rear cameras and dirt roads are a great combination.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Do you have anvils for hands or something? I've never heard of a car touchscreen breaking from normal use, and to wreck a backup camera, you basically have to smash the back of the car hard enough that the damaged camera is the least of your problems.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

kdrudy posted:

I've literally never heard of those things breaking. I'm sure they do occasionally, but not enough to worry about.

They're fine as far as normal wear and tear goes but cold weather here breaks them if you park outside overnight.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

They're fine as far as normal wear and tear goes but cold weather here breaks them if you park outside overnight.

Where do you live?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They seem to be fine in up to -30 F that I've seen them regularly used in, so I'm also curious

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Dip Viscous posted:

I have older relatives that thought seatbelts were a great idea and wore them every time they drove but then removed them from their cars as soon as they became mandatory. Sometimes "lol eat poo poo" is the only reason.

I always wear seatbelts and always have. But when they went mandatory I knew it was going to be an excuse to pull people over and see what they're up to so I hated it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Of all the new car cool poo poo I hate, rear cameras are not one of them. They started out poo poo with no low light capabilities, but for the past 5 years or so all the ones I've used in rentals (including my own car) have been super bright in pitch black conditions making them awesome. In the summer you sometimes get a pet spider you get to say hello to every time you back up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mawarannahr posted:

I've mentioned this before but it happened to me again today... those pump bottles you twist the top to open? almost none of them open anymore, doesn't matter what brand or anything. have to use pliers to hold the bottom in place and twist. does anyone else have this skill issue ?

Same.

I also might have mentioned it in this thread, but any package that has one of those built-in "re-sealable" Ziplock-knock-off strips? Always garbage. One of two things happen:
They will never seal properly or
They actually seal to tightly from the factory, that when you try to open it the first time, it stays sealed and damages/rips open the bag.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost
Or they work for about 1/3 of the time needed to finish the package and then the adhesive detaches.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

big mean giraffe posted:

They seem to be fine in up to -30 F that I've seen them regularly used in, so I'm also curious

Maybe my parents have exceptionally bad luck or an exceptionally lovely car but the screen cracks every winter at around -30C. It's fine for the rest of the season after being replaced so maybe it's from repeated heating/cooling.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same.

I also might have mentioned it in this thread, but any package that has one of those built-in "re-sealable" Ziplock-knock-off strips? Always garbage. One of two things happen:
They will never seal properly or
They actually seal to tightly from the factory, that when you try to open it the first time, it stays sealed and damages/rips open the bag.

yep. also those plastic films you're supposed to peel back at the corner!!!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The_Franz posted:

I think people less dislike them for being backup cams and more dislike them because they require a screen to be put in cars, which in almost all circumstances is ugly as hell. And also gives manufacturers the excuse to put in lovely touch screen controls for various functions instead of having dedicated knobs/buttons for them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

I want better safety! Sure thing we put in a backup camera. NO CAMERAS I DON'T WANT THAT.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Philthy posted:

In the summer you sometimes get a pet spider you get to say hello to every time you back up.

This year I have one in each side mirror and one on the rear camera. Hello little fellas, hold on.