Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Backup cameras are dope but they should always be supplemental to actually being able to see what's happening around your car with your own two eyes. The whole "no rear window" thing is a bridge too far imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

backup cameras suck and have only prolifeated becuase of the aforementioned awful 360 sightlines on modern automobiles. they have some novel edge case uses like hooking up a trailer but they have overall made motorists lazy and paradoxically less aware, in aggregate with other "safety" functions

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

backup cameras suck and have only prolifeated becuase of the aforementioned awful 360 sightlines on modern automobiles. they have some novel edge case uses like hooking up a trailer but they have overall made motorists lazy and paradoxically less aware, in aggregate with other "safety" functions

bullshit

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Source?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Cameras are good but the problem is people use them as a replacement for their eyes. I have a small camera in my 2014 Forester and I only use it when I actually can't see behind my car which is very rare because the visibility on that vehicle is the best I've ever seen in any vehicle.

I mostly use it for parking to make sure I don't back into someone's car.

If I'm backing out of a parking space and there are cars in every spot (big rear end trucks for instance) your camera can't pan left and right to see if someone is flying by perpendicularly 100 feet away at 35mph. You have to look out the window.

Backup cameras should be a supplement to increase safety, not the primary source to rely on.

edit:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Backup cameras are dope but they should always be supplemental to actually being able to see what's happening around your car with your own two eyes. The whole "no rear window" thing is a bridge too far imo

This dude knows what's up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If I'm backing out of a parking space and there are cars in every spot (big rear end trucks for instance) your camera can't pan left and right to see if someone is flying by perpendicularly 100 feet away at 35mph. You have to look out the window.

I agree and do the same things, but I will say that cross traffic detection does an excellent job of detecting those flybys you talk about and warning you. Even works on pedestrians.
I've had that in a couple different vehicles and it's a nice feature not to be relied on by itself oh God

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Mine has a wide angle option that's perfect for this, really helps to see when you first start creeping back

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TotalLossBrain posted:

I agree and do the same things, but I will say that cross traffic detection does an excellent job of detecting those flybys you talk about and warning you. Even works on pedestrians.
I've had that in a couple different vehicles and it's a nice feature not to be relied on by itself oh God

I don't have experience with that but it definitely sounds like something that'd be helpful as well.

For instance, if I can't see with the camera or even out my windows I just have to do the ol' "bite my lip and ease back so slowly that someone can't possibly miss me if they are paying attention to driving."

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Do you have anvils for hands or something? I've never heard of a car touchscreen breaking from normal use, and to wreck a backup camera, you basically have to smash the back of the car hard enough that the damaged camera is the least of your problems.

I've never personally broke a touch screen, but I've been in vehicles thrice with a broken screen. 2 where the touch just didn't work any more, and one where the screen had failed.

The number of times a button or knob had failed that I can recall is zero and the sample size includes vehicles that are much, much older. I also am keenly aware that they do fail, but fixing them is usually a simple matter.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Backup camera? Good. Front camera? Good. Birds eye camera? Good. Cameras rule and anyone who thinks otherwise can gently caress off with their "back in my day" Luddite crap. Also a fan of collision detection, blind spot indicators. I drive automatics. Can you imagine going "yes I want to make driving more of a chore" lol.

I do think things should be physical buttons/knobs/slides and/or voice commands depending on what exactly it is. Temperature? Yeah give me a knob. GPS? Voice commands are fine. Telling Ciri that it sucks? Dedicated button and voice.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 26, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars is basically an evergreen topic in this thread tbh

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah fine if it's supplemental, don't like it when it's basically a requirement to see around your vehicle.

And I drive a manual and prefer it too.

e: BTW my old rear end car has front, rear illuminating reverse lights. It's great and a dead simple technology really helps when reversing in dark.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Our current vehicle has an incredible array of cameras that show everything from down the sides, overhead, what's behind me, etc all much better than I can see with my eyes with any amount of craning around. Also has sensors that beep near objects and edges. When I put a blinker on to signal a lane change, my dashboard view shows a camera view of what is on that side of the vehicle which has no blind spots and is straight up better than turning my head to look over my shoulder.

I think backup cameras and their evolution 2005 or so to present is a case of things getting better.

quote:

Studies from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that backup cameras reduced the accident rate of backup crashes by 17 percent. The statistics bode even better for drivers over the age of 70, with a 36 percent decrease in accidents.
(traffic law firm source)

That doesn't seem to have a place in this thread, really; what is something that's related, but getting shittier :thunk:

oh

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Goddamn seatbelts and airbags make everyone drive shittier, back in my day people were more careful since minor fender benders usually decapitated half of the occupants.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

And I drive a manual and prefer it too.

Of course you do nobody reading that post earlier would have thought any other way. Nobody actually likes manuals they just want to convince themselves the antiquated useless skill they have is actually useful. Well okay some of them might want to create busy work to distract themselves from the chore that's driving. Which is weird making a chore more of a chore to trick yourself into thinking it's less doesn't really make sense to me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Of course you do nobody reading that post earlier would have thought any other way. Nobody actually likes manuals they just want to convince themselves the antiquated useless skill they have is actually useful. Well okay some of them might want to create busy work to distract themselves from the chore that's driving. Which is weird making a chore more of a chore to trick yourself into thinking it's less doesn't really make sense to me.

driving a car is fun

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't care strongly one way or the other but it's nice feeling like there's a connection between what the engine is doing and the road.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It means you have a camera in the back and a screen up front, both which break easily and are expensive to replace. The screen up front means you probably now have touch crap everywhere, and with that comes another can of worms.

Basically, a rear camera means your entire front console is expensive, fragile, and lovely.

That's all true; on the other hand, trying to back up my dad's pre-backup-cameras SUV is scary as hell. It has large enough windows, but you can't see anything below hip height. I have to take care and walk a circle around the car to look for low objects before I start.

Edit:

carrionman posted:

Rear cameras and dirt roads are a great combination.

Volkswagen has a great solution where their emblem on the trunk is a tiny hatch that opens when you put the car in reverse, and covers the camera. But I don't think they use that anymore, haven't seen i lately. At least some Golf models had it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 26, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

driving a car is fun

No. Driving a car can be sometimes fun.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

No. Driving a car can be sometimes fun.

my cars are always fun

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

my cars are always fun

Get off the roads.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I have to take care and walk a circle around the car to look for low objects before I start.

Not a bad practice for operating a vehicle tbh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Get off the roads.

why? im a passionate, attentive, predictable, courteous motorist

id like to get off the roads and just take public transit but the infrastructure here is unforutenaly dismal

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not a bad practice for operating a vehicle tbh

I mean, you don't actually have to do that if you're in a normal parking lot, you pay attention to your surroundings and your car either has decent visibility (c.f. a Golf or Polo), or your backup camera is working.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A common prank here in the 90s was to find a roadkill animal, put a collar and leash on it, attach it to someone's rear bumper, and toss it all under the car, so I check under the car too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

driving a car is fun

Only if there are exactly zero other cars on the road.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yeah I think in aggregate, the poster is wrong. A modern car with all the safety assist features is actually safer. However, a few specific features are very much in doubt.

The very clearly useful:
Automatic emergency braking
Blind spot detection
Cross-traffic alert
Forward and rear collision warning
Lane departure warning
Driver attention warning

The perhaps-useful-but-I'm-not-convinced:

Adaptive cruise control
Lane-keeping assist
Pedestrian detection system
Road sign recognition
Collision warning

You'll notice the latter category contains the features that permit a driver to pay less attention, or take their eyes off the road. The jury is very much out on whether these actually reduce accidents or deaths, and some studies indicate that at least adaptive cruise control will encourage bad driving practices: https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/542793-study-links-adaptive-cruise-control-to-increased-crash-risk/

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
That's why you go driving at 2AM when it's nice and peaceful

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

why? im a passionate, attentive, predictable, courteous motorist

id like to get off the roads and just take public transit but the infrastructure here is unforutenaly dismal

For driving to be fun you're almost certainly doing something that you shouldn't be, or you just can't be trusted to make rational correct decisions. It's okay if I drive too fast as I'm attentive and predictable! Yeah yeah whatever. Driving is a boring chore which is why people listen to music/podcasts/watch movies/shave/do some deep frying.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TBLALV posted:

That's why you go driving at 2AM when it's nice and peaceful

Not if I'm on the road at 2am :smuggo:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

For driving to be fun you're doing something that you shouldn't be, or you just can't be trusted to make the rational correct decision. It's okay if I drive too fast as I'm attentive and predictable! Yeah yeah whatever. Driving is a boring chore which is why people listen to music/podcasts/watch movies/shave/do some deep frying.

lol. i do concede that most people find driving to be a boring chore, thats why its bullshit that NA is so automobile focused. would be so much better to just sit on a train or something. cycle, at worst. i don't find driving to be a boring chore tho

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

even cycling, another method of transit, people find enjoyable and not to be a boring chore

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

some people even like running and walking which is insane to me but hell,

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i cant remember if i started the cars are bad derail but i realize its become insufferable again and im not helping. apologies to all

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

even cycling, another method of transit, people find enjoyable and not to be a boring chore

Doesn't really matter if I run those sub humans who don't see biking as a chore (EWWWWW exercise). Okay that's not fair I don't really want to run them over it's just sometimes I'm slightly inconvenienced when they have the nerve to be on roads I'm on.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Doesn't really matter if I run those sub humans who don't see biking as a chore (EWWWWW exercise). Okay that's not fair I don't really want to run them over it's just sometimes I'm slightly inconvenienced when they have the nerve to be on roads I'm on.

And there it is.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Other people existing around me is the thing that keeps getting shittier for no good reason

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Amazon takes 8-14 days to even ship my orders now even if everything is shipped from/sold by Amazon. At a certain point they must be actively expending resources to make it shitter.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

if you can't handle me at my shittiest, you don't deserve my good fun driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I love driving manual transmissions, they are fun