Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I love driving manual transmissions, they are fun

you drive like an unhinged psychopath, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

you're adults and still enjoy things? real psycho poo poo

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

TBLALV posted:

Other people existing around me is the thing that keeps getting shittier for no good reason

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

I love driving manual transmissions, they are fun

They're also an S-tier anti-theft measure in North America.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sometimes people would rather spend more time trying to justify their bad choice, or learning an antiquated useless skill instead of admitting they made a mistake. Wish I could think of some examples of this but you totally know it when you see it.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I miss driving a manual sometimes but I will grudgingly admit that having an automatic is much more practical for eating tacos while driving

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
A dickhead driver got mad at me today for the audacity of turning left while being a cyclist, on a neighborhood street no less. Drivers are all pieces of poo poo, myself included.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cerekk posted:

I miss driving a manual sometimes but I will grudgingly admit that having an automatic is much more practical for eating tacos while driving

I'm more impressed by those using one and still posting! Like I get it driving is boring and you wanna post on somethingawful but maybe don't do both if you're using a manual?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

driving a manual is really easy. it's not an impressive skill at all

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Driving a manual is easy. Comedy is hard.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022

cat botherer posted:

A dickhead driver got mad at me today for the audacity of turning left while being a cyclist, on a neighborhood street no less. Drivers are all pieces of poo poo, myself included.

:hmmyes:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yep.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The perhaps-useful-but-I'm-not-convinced:

Adaptive cruise control

Adaptive cruise control is absolutely wonderful on long trips. I will never own another car without it for that reason.

It's not hard, but it takes practice, and if you live in north America and were born after 1990 or so, you've probably never ridden in a manual car let alone driven one, unless someone in the family likes cars and actively seeks them out.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 26, 2024

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

these days the hardest thing about driving stick is finding a car that actually has one

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
How do folks feel about the digital rear view mirrors? I see more and more on the road. Feels distracting, can't have the dynamic range of your vision, and your eyes focus differently on a screen than a mirror. I'd never buy a car with one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol seriously though, everyone speeds like crazy now.

I got on the highway today and got swept up in this pocket doing 85. I got out of it when safe/reasonable, only to be swallowed up by another crazy wave on the highway, and then another, and another. It was Friday at 5, so it's as busy as it gets, but wow. It was fast out there. 85 cruising speeds??

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

lol seriously though, everyone speeds like crazy now.

I got on the highway today and got swept up in this pocket doing 85. I got out of it when safe/reasonable, only to be swallowed up by another crazy wave on the highway, and then another, and another. It was Friday at 5, so it's as busy as it gets, but wow. It was fast out there. 85 cruising speeds??

Do you get the "$85,000 white pickup truck doing 100 MPH on the highway regardless of traffic" in your neck of the woods? Because here in Kansas City, "traffic" tends to be overall quite sane. The pickup truck driver in a rush to get to his own funeral? That's the one you really need to watch out for.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Waste of Breath posted:

How do folks feel about the digital rear view mirrors? I see more and more on the road. Feels distracting, can't have the dynamic range of your vision, and your eyes focus differently on a screen than a mirror. I'd never buy a car with one.

Makes a ton of sense for a work van or something where the mirror is close to useless to begin with. I'm sure that will be the last vehicle to get one though.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I just got an email last night from Google about how they're making Google Pay worse. That second one is really something special....

lol another dead Google app, what a loving failure

Time to add it to the board!

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Waste of Breath posted:

I was in an uber the other night with one and I wish that all my cars had one. The lowered dynamic range is actually one of the biggest selling points. You don't get blinded by lifted trucks with the brightest lights they could find, while still being able to see everything else. The light output from the screen was probably < 1/5th of what you get from a mirror.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Someone earlier mentioned not using the rear view mirror (in favor of using the side mirrors) and I was like: WTF?

My mirror use is like 70% rear view mirror, 20% left mirror, 10% right mirror.

Like the right mirror is basically only for passing, and how often are you passing?

I'll also turn my head to the right to see with peripheral vision. I do that on the left side too, but only for blind spots on the highway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I was in an uber the other night with one and I wish that all my cars had one. The lowered dynamic range is actually one of the biggest selling points. You don't get blinded by lifted trucks with the brightest lights they could find, while still being able to see everything else. The light output from the screen was probably < 1/5th of what you get from a mirror.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My 11 year old car dims automatically.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I haven't had a car since college that had a manually adjusted rear view mirror.

Reverse cameras are also great. They provide better side to side visibility with a wide angle lens than any car I've ever had including convertibles with the top down.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Back in my day you had a copilot who rode/shot in the back and generally had your six.

Kids today....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just don’t drive at night anymore

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

While we're on the subject of headlights at night: nobody in the era of automatic headlights knows how to turn them off manually anymore. I just went to the store at night and there were like 4 cars idling outside with their LED headlights on full blast.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My 11 year old car dims automatically.

My 2010 truck had it but my 2014 car doesn't. :psyduck: Apparently you need to spring for the top level trim with leather seats to get an auto dimming rear view mirror.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wish automatic lights would become standard trim already. JFC I see a lot of people drive around without lights at night

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

They've been standard for a long time but a lot of people turn them off manually and never think about it again.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I will concede that automatic headlights are a net good but automatic high beams are a menace. That poo poo don't work right.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

wash bucket posted:

automatic high beams are a menace.

I don't know how anyone looks at that feature and goes "yeah, I trust that to not make me look like an rear end in a top hat". Do people really blindly trust whatever tech they are given? Rhetorical question, probably related to my pathological self awareness.

Cerekk posted:

Makes a ton of sense for a work van or something where the mirror is close to useless to begin with. I'm sure that will be the last vehicle to get one though.

Probably the only use I'd embrace.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Waste of Breath posted:

Do people really blindly trust whatever tech they are given?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but most people blindly trust everything. That's how we've ended up with this poo poo world.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but most people blindly trust everything. That's how we've ended up with this poo poo world.

"Hey, that guy's on TV yellin' stuff! He's gotta know what he's talkin' about!"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Montague Tigg posted:

"Hey, that guy's on TV yellin' stuff! He's gotta know what he's talkin' about!"

Is this a face that would lie?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is this a face that would lie?

By Grabthar, what a bargain!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The thread noticeably got worse when Duck and Cover was posting last night.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The thread noticeably got worse when Duck and Cover was posting last night.

Good job champ you're gonna fit in around here!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
They did a test a couple of years ago here were it turned out a person texting behind the wheel had a reaction time 2 times worse than someone who drank 2 beers. Someone who was loving around on the onboard media/gps system (which is legal) had a time 6 times worse.
People are not smart enough to multitask, just watch the road.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wash bucket posted:

I will concede that automatic headlights are a net good but automatic high beams are a menace. That poo poo don't work right.

It totally depends on the brand. All the Toyotas and Audi/VWs I've driven have been great, other brands are hit and miss. It's the same with adaptive cruise and lane assist.

I had a rental Miata recently and very much missed the manual transmission and soft top in the 1999 model I owned. The hard top was pretty, and the car drove fine but I just didn't have nearly as much fun as I did in my old one with 180k miles.

Also the grocery store near me has new boxes of Clif bars proudly stating they now come with 5 bars. They also raised the price at the same time, but are trying to fool you with a BOGO so the switch won't feel so sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Cars should have the media controls on the steering wheel by default. Instead of fumbling and looking down, it's a slide of the thumb.

When I reverse, the entertainment system screen turns into the camera so I have both the rear mirror and the camera. It makes sense too since I should never be in a situation where I'm loving around with my stereo while backing up.