Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I freaking hate adapative Cruise Control, and this hate is coming from someone who LOVES regular plain Cruise Control.

Its like I can't even trust CC anymore, what a world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of these car things are good concepts that are great if they work reliably and actively dangerous if they don't, and most manufacturers seem to gently caress it all up. Lane assist that prevents you from being able to get out of the way of swerving drunk drivers, automatic emergency braking that brings you to a sudden stop on a busy road because it saw a plastic bag or thought of ants, cruise control that might as well be RNG. Cameras at least don't have much to go outright wrong with them but it sucks that it's a substitute for being able to see out of the windows instead of an additional layer of safety.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

All of these car things are good concepts that are great if they work reliably and actively dangerous if they don't, and most manufacturers seem to gently caress it all up. Lane assist that prevents you from being able to get out of the way of swerving drunk drivers, automatic emergency braking that brings you to a sudden stop on a busy road because it saw a plastic bag or thought of ants, cruise control that might as well be RNG. Cameras at least don't have much to go outright wrong with them but it sucks that it's a substitute for being able to see out of the windows instead of an additional layer of safety.

Yep

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Air Canada is going to start charging you for wanting a specific seat. They are going to do the random selection, seems like a specific gently caress you to parents and people who are anxious sitting alone. Sorry Jimmie, mom and dad are at the front of the plane where you can't see us.

This doesn't impact me too too much, I usually just want a window seat because I hate getting up because someone who has a small bladder has to tiktok their reaction to clouds. I just want to sleep undisturbed until I start getting free poo poo like a paper napkin with your logo on it or a third of a can of orange juice.

That and I'm getting tired of reading parliamentary hearings and anytime the conservatives talk it has to be this really unnatural commercial like cadence where they throw in as many buzzwords or national post headlines they can instead of actually saying anything.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
cars should have big LED panels on the front back and sides that can display emoticons so if I make a minor mistake in traffic I can flash an embarrassed emoji and if someone cuts me off i can show an angry one etc etc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mozi posted:

cars should have big LED panels on the front back and sides that can display emoticons so if I make a minor mistake in traffic I can flash an embarrassed emoji and if someone cuts me off i can show an angry one etc etc

That’s honestly not a bad idea

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

Real time message boards to other drivers.

U SUCK LEARN 2 DRIVE

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Nocheez posted:

Also the grocery store near me has new boxes of Clif bars proudly stating they now come with 5 bars. They also raised the price at the same time, but are trying to fool you with a BOGO so the switch won't feel so sudden.

I honestly hate how sneaky this is.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Just spamming salsa dancer and eggplant emoji

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Adaptive cruise control rules if you're in traffic where no one can keep a constant speed and like to use a safe following distance, which I assume is why everybody hates it because you can't get right up the rear end of the person in front of you

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't use any kind of cruise control in the city, but adaptive cruise control and lane assist were pretty sweet for the hundreds and hundreds of miles of nothing between DFW and Santa Fe. Keep it at 80 and pass when it slows you down

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Adaptive cruise control rules if you're in traffic where no one can keep a constant speed and like to use a safe following distance, which I assume is why everybody hates it because you can't get right up the rear end of the person in front of you

I fully confess. Not that I want to ride up the rear end of the person in front of me, but I will pass. I set the CC at 76. I want it to stay at 76 and I will adjust my driving if traffic ahead is slower. Rather than CC adjusting that for me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

big mean giraffe posted:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

guess i should have filed for that patent

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Dip Viscous posted:

Maybe it's just cause I got a newish but not expensive Honda but all these features just kinda work fine for me. Lane assist nudges a bit but won't override steering, the adaptive cruise control works and isn't random at all, and I don't think the automatic braking system has ever actually applied the brakes.

It's even got all the media controls on the steering wheel as actual buttons.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same. All that stuff kind of just works in my '16 Accord. I do wish the volume controls on the dash were real buttons but the ones on the steering wheel work well enough.

My wife's Subaru is different. The lane keep assist keeps hunting and pulling the steering wheel. The adaptive cruise overshoots and oscillates. I think there are pid settings you can adjust for that. I really should look, it's annoying.
However, it has a physical volume knob, which is nice. Because the rest of the controls are on the giant dash screen

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd love adaptive cruise control. 400 miles of lifting and dropping my right foot on a two lane highway messes up a surprising number of body parts.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Just to change gears from car chat,

Last night I needed to play a DVD for the kids, and our new TV is HDMI only. I didn't have time to play cable Frankenstein so I went to the box store and found a whole slew of $300 to 400 blue ray players and a $35 Sony DVD player. The box for it gave no indication of how it plugged in, so I googled the model number and Google answers says the Sony whatever has 2 HDMI ports and then there were reviews saying that it had HDMI ports, and the there were instructions available on how to plug your Sony whatever in to your smart TV via HDMI so I bought the drat thing, brought it home and opened it up and it's loving component only JUST LIKE THE GODDAMN DVD PLAYER I ALREADY HAVE

Thanks for listening

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I'd love adaptive cruise control. 400 miles of lifting and dropping my right foot on a two lane highway messes up a surprising number of body parts.

Same, it's the only feature that I really feel like I'm missing by driving a 2008 station wagon. Nobody in Maryland can hold a consistent speed for more than a quarter mile, adaptive cruise would be a godsend.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Last night I needed to play a DVD for the kids, and our new TV is HDMI only. I didn't have time to play cable Frankenstein so I went to the box store and found a whole slew of $300 to 400 blue ray players and a $35 Sony DVD player. The box for it gave no indication of how it plugged in, so I googled the model number and Google answers says the Sony whatever has 2 HDMI ports and then there were reviews saying that it had HDMI ports, and the there were instructions available on how to plug your Sony whatever in to your smart TV via HDMI so I bought the drat thing, brought it home and opened it up and it's loving component only JUST LIKE THE GODDAMN DVD PLAYER I ALREADY HAVE

Thanks for listening

next time open it up in the store and if any employees hassle you (they don't get paid enough to care) tell them that story

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And you get open box pricing, win win

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tactlessbastard posted:

Thanks for listening

I'm genuinely shocked you can buy a non-HDMI DVD player in tyool 2024.

And if we can talk about cables, connections and such, I hate Displayport. Oh you can go from a DP output to a HDMI input but not the other way around unless you have a special active cable which is expensive considering. And you can buy a HDMI cable capable of 4K 60 for a few dollars yet for some reason a standard Displayport equivalent is a stack more despite not having a licensing cost attached like HDMI production does.

That some PCs use this lovely standard is the worst. The only thing DP has going got it is the fact it locks into the port.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm genuinely shocked you can buy a non-HDMI DVD player in tyool 2024.
Leaving off HDMI saves a few bucks, and you don’t need it for SD or DVD playback, I’m not surprised a cheaper one doesn’t have it. Also, you need to pay to put the logo on the box. And the unit. Also, welcome to Sony model numbers, always look at the box.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And if we can talk about cables, connections and such, I hate Displayport.
DP is more capable than any HDMI standard previous to the HDMI 2.1b FRL stuff, and that won’t work with most cheap HDMI cables, wherein even a 10-year-old DP cable will work fine with modern standards.

HDMI is a complex mishmash of capabilities that is mostly mitigated by too much software and a willingness to remove quality at runtime IMO.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Adaptive cruise control is the best thing in a line of traffic.

Steering assist and lane control I hate, they always seem to gently caress up and I end up having to put more brainpower into driving than without them.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wish automatic lights would become standard trim already. JFC I see a lot of people drive around without lights at night

My last car(s trim) didn't have auto headlights, but it had all the equipment for it and knew when they were supposed to be on, and the car would actually trick you into turning them on. The backlighting on the Instrument panel is tied to the headlights, so when it starts getting dark you wouldn't be able to see how fast you were going unless you turn your lights on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just acquired a smart TV for the office. Full factory reset and... no gently caress off I don't want to connect to the Internet. No don't want to make a profile. Multiple stages just to plug in an HDMI cord. Jfc

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like how cars have cameras and yet you aren't even given the option to use them as a dash cam. Slap in some storage charge way more than it should be and I'd probably bite.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just want a Selfie cam so I can take and share pics with my followers while driving

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I drive with a cobra dashcam on and recording 100% of the time the car is in motion because I live in Albuquerque, NM and it's wild to me that new cars are full of cameras but don't have those

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

redshirt posted:

I fully confess. Not that I want to ride up the rear end of the person in front of me, but I will pass. I set the CC at 76. I want it to stay at 76 and I will adjust my driving if traffic ahead is slower. Rather than CC adjusting that for me.

What exactly do you think adaptive cruise control is and does? Because it sure as poo poo does not prevent you from passing or adjusting your own speed. I am sincerely mystified as to what you're complaining about.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

What exactly do you think adaptive cruise control is and does? Because it sure as poo poo does not prevent you from passing or adjusting your own speed. I am sincerely mystified as to what you're complaining about.

With Adaptive CC set at 76, when I come close to a car ahead of me going 72, the adapative CC will slow me down to maintain a distance with the car ahead of me.

Thus, I am no longer going the 76 I set it at, I'm going 66 or whatever dumb rear end speed until I say gently caress IT and turn it off and pass

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

redshirt posted:

With Adaptive CC set at 76, when I come close to a car ahead of me going 72, the adapative CC will slow me down to maintain a distance with the car ahead of me.

Thus, I am no longer going the 76 I set it at, I'm going 66 or whatever dumb rear end speed until I say gently caress IT and turn it off and pass

Pushing the gas pedal doesn’t take you out of adaptive cruise control in my car, just the brake.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

redshirt posted:

Why don't you just pass them in the first place? What do you do with regular CC, rear end them? You still either have to pass them or slow down, one way or the other. ACC doesn't change that at all. So in the situation you're describing, your options with regular CC are to turn it off and drive manually, adjust the speed of the CC on the fly (the thing ACC automates), or pass them. You're free to do all of these things with ACC with the only difference being the second option is easier to do because its radar controlled instead of you trying to guess what the match speed is.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nvm, don't want to be repetitive

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Why don't you just pass them in the first place? What do you do with regular CC, rear end them? You still either have to pass them or slow down, one way or the other. ACC doesn't change that at all. So in the situation you're describing, your options with regular CC are to turn it off and drive manually, adjust the speed of the CC on the fly (the thing ACC automates), or pass them. You're free to do all of these things with ACC with the only difference being the second option is easier to do because its radar controlled instead of you trying to guess what the match speed is.

Because with regular CC the speed difference is clear immediately, and I must adjust immediately.

With ACC, if I'm not paying attention, I look down and I've been going 73 for the last minute, without realizing it. I can no longer just kick back and trust CC, but now I have to actively monitor and manage it. Which somewhat defeats the purpose.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I drive with a cobra dashcam on and recording 100% of the time the car is in motion because I live in Albuquerque, NM and it's wild to me that new cars are full of cameras but don't have those

Sorry not cool and flashy enough according to marketbot ai (maybe not yet but soon!) can I interest you in a big truck? You want people to know how manly you are right? Big trucks make us the most money so we think you should buy big truck.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

redshirt posted:

Because with regular CC the speed difference is clear immediately, and I must adjust immediately.

With ACC, if I'm not paying attention, I look down and I've been going 73 for the last minute, without realizing it. I can no longer just kick back and trust CC, but now I have to actively monitor and manage it. Which somewhat defeats the purpose.

I bolded the part that's significant wrt/driving in general

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

redshirt posted:

Lol well ok then. Please pay attention while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bolded the part that's significant wrt/driving in general

It sounds to me like they are focusing on the road and not their speedometer, which makes sense when using cruise control to me.