Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
If that's what they are doing then they would easily see they were overtaking the car ahead of them

e: sick rear end snipe

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol what kind of lovely driver has to pay attention to the road? Wow driving is easy as poo poo and you have to concentrate and focus? LOL noob.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 28, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

you should notice if the car in front of you is going 3mph slower than you before your adaptive cruise control slows you down by the fact you are gaining on them

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

redshirt posted:

Because with regular CC the speed difference is clear immediately, and I must adjust immediately.

With ACC, if I'm not paying attention, I look down and I've been going 73 for the last minute, without realizing it. I can no longer just kick back and trust CC, but now I have to actively monitor and manage it. Which somewhat defeats the purpose.

I’m sorry you have to pay attention while driving. That’s quite the burden

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

I’m sorry you have to pay attention while driving. That’s quite the burden

Defeats the purpose of CC, don't it?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

redshirt posted:

Defeats the purpose of CC, don't it?

No. Tesla has had a ridiculous valuation based on the fiction that they’d be able to eliminate the need to pay attention, but in reality they’ve killed people.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Adaptive cruise control needs a polite chime when it lowers your speed too much. Make the chime adjustable 3-10 mph of adjustment. That's really all we're asking for. A light chime indicating when it has lowered your speed appreciably would be trivial to implement in software but god forbid anyone actually think about the end user. Instead it just gradually slows you down in 1-2 mph increments until your going 10 under and you're like what the gently caress? Why am I crawling along with someone tailgating me. Oh, the adaptive cruise control just decided to slow me down to a crawl because the person in front of me is driving like a jackass.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

Adaptive cruise control needs a polite chime when it lowers your speed too much. Make the chime adjustable 3-10 mph of adjustment. That's really all we're asking for. A light chime indicating when it has lowered your speed appreciably would be trivial to implement in software but god forbid anyone actually think about the end user. Instead it just gradually slows you down in 1-2 mph increments until your going 10 under and you're like what the gently caress? Why am I crawling along with someone tailgating me. Oh, the adaptive cruise control just decided to slow me down to a crawl because the person in front of me is driving like a jackass.

This

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The point of adaptive CC is that you pick a lane, set it and forget it with the expectation you may catch up with someone going slower, so it'll adjust for you. If you want to go 76 and not slow down to 75, 72, 65 then you either don't engage it, or you use it like any other cruise control. You disable it with a press, do your passing, then enable it again.

I am baffled about whatever the gently caress I just read, but I am not a rocket scientist, so there's that.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Philthy posted:

The point of adaptive CC is that you pick a lane, set it and forget it with the expectation you may catch up with someone going slower, so it'll adjust for you. If you want to go 76 and not slow down to 75, 72, 65 then you either don't engage it, or you use it like any other cruise control. You disable it with a press, do your passing, then enable it again.

I am baffled about whatever the gently caress I just read, but I am not a rocket scientist, so there's that.

I want to set it at 76 and have it let me know when it drops to 71 so I can pass the slowest person on the road and not get rear ended. There is always that one absurdly slow or erratic driver and I want to drive with traffic, not be their crumple zone.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

You’re controlling thousands of pounds of metal please pay the slightest bit of attention to what the vehicle you’re driving is doing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Leviathan Song posted:

I want to set it at 76 and have it let me know when it drops to 71 so I can pass the slowest person on the road and not get rear ended. There is always that one absurdly slow or erratic driver and I want to drive with traffic, not be their crumple zone.

You don't need anything to let you know because the speed you're going is right in front of your face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Folks, the entire point of CC is you set a speed and you can forget about monitoring your speed.

Adaptive CC changes that entirely as it will adjust your speed down, constantly. So now you have to manage your Adaptive CC.

See the difference?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Philthy posted:

You don't need anything to let you know because the speed you're going in right in front of your face. I'm convinced this is all an elaborate troll.

Have you never encountered someone who just gradually slows down for no reason in front of you? I can't tell if my car drops 1 mph and I don't think you can either. If it gradually decelerates over 10 minutes can you actually discern that? The two times I tried ACC it was a consistent problem that I'd end up behind someone gradually slowing down and only notice when I had someone up my rear end. Maybe give my a chime when I'm being tailgated instead of slowing down? Either way it felt incredibly dangerous and way worse than traditional cruise control.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DRIVE. YOUR. loving. CAR.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

Have you never encountered someone who just gradually slows down for no reason in front of you? I can't tell if my car drops 1 mph and I don't think you can either. If it gradually decelerates over 10 minutes can you actually discern that? The two times I tried ACC it was a consistent problem that I'd end up behind someone gradually slowing down and only notice when I had someone up my rear end. Maybe give my a chime when I'm being tailgated instead of slowing down? Either way it felt incredibly dangerous and way worse than traditional cruise control.

Please look at your instruments which helpfully tell you the speed you’re going, if there are any issues with your car, and how much fuel you have among other fun and interesting bits of information.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

DRIVE. YOUR. loving. CAR.

i love driving my cars

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol at all the adaptive cruise control fans in this thread.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Leviathan Song posted:

Have you never encountered someone who just gradually slows down for no reason in front of you? I can't tell if my car drops 1 mph and I don't think you can either.

I can because my car has a speedometer. Does yours not have one?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If someone tailgates me, I just slow down 1mph at a time until they pass. That way, I no longer have to worry about them crashing into me.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

I can because my car has a speedometer. Does yours not have one?

I never owned a car with a working speedometer but there's probably a phone app for that for that now.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

spiritual bypass posted:

If someone tailgates me, I just slow down 1mph at a time until they pass. That way, I no longer have to worry about them crashing into me.
But if they have adaptive cruise control they'll never notice and you'll both end up parked on the interstate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RDM posted:

But if they have adaptive cruise control they'll never notice and you'll both end up parked on the interstate

Ever slower, and slower, and slower, and slower......

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Momentary attention economy is a huge deal when driving, and visual information outside the windshield is a huge drain on it. While adaptive CC is cool and good specifically because it allows a driver to pay less attention to the gauge cluster, I agree that without audible alerts it serves as a periodic drain on momentary attention and is therefore decidedly not increasing safety overall.

My company has had significant issues with adaptive CC in work vehicles. Most often it's either a motorcycle splitting lanes while weaving because they don't have space to safely do so, or an erratic driver in the next lane that the radar percieves as a merging vehicle. Both cause adaptive CC to unexpectedly slow the vehicle, and that causes accidents especially in the latter case as an erratic driver is far, far safer behind you than in front of you.

This has caused enough accidents that we now address it monthly in meetings, and actively discourage use of cruise control in anything resembling traffic. There is absolutely a version of adaptive CC that makes an alert driver safer, but the current implementation is also 100% Not It, Bub.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RDM posted:

Adaptive cruise control maintains a reasonable following distance

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Momentary attention economy is a huge deal when driving, and visual information outside the windshield is a huge drain on it. While adaptive CC is cool and good specifically because it allows a driver to pay less attention to the gauge cluster, I agree that without audible alerts it serves as a periodic drain on momentary attention and is therefore decidedly not increasing safety overall.

My company has had significant issues with adaptive CC in work vehicles. Most often it's either a motorcycle splitting lanes while weaving because they don't have space to safely do so, or an erratic driver in the next lane that the radar percieves as a merging vehicle. Both cause adaptive CC to unexpectedly slow the vehicle, and that causes accidents especially in the latter case as an erratic driver is far, far safer behind you than in front of you.

This has caused enough accidents that we now address it monthly in meetings, and actively discourage use of cruise control in anything resembling traffic. There is absolutely a version of adaptive CC that makes an alert driver safer, but the current implementation is also 100% Not It, Bub.

The cars in the rear should simply not crash into the car ahead of them. If they had adaptive cruise control, this wouldn't be an issue

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

spiritual bypass posted:

Adaptive cruise control maintains a reasonable following distance
The shifty Tesla has an autodrive tailgating mode

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Holy poo poo somebody should fix this. Why the gently caress would it slow down just to prevent a motorcyclist from getting hit? Just awful design.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
While we're on the topic, Google Maps is a huge, huge attention drain nowadays to the point that we're evaluating alternatives. Popups like Waze with an audio cue to ask if a speed trap or vehicle on the side of the road is Still There? Check. Popups suggesting dramatic and sometimes costly route changes that you have 10 seconds to engage with or they'll auto-accept? Check. Poorly worded instructions that require you to read and understand the next several steps of directions in order to navigate (calling the combined E/W expressway exit "Interstate West Exit" then immediately instructing to merge onto the East side of the exit, causing an unexpected lane change you've got 100ft to execute) Check.

People don't understand how much less safe we are when these "adaptive" tools are functionally maladaptive. It sounds trivial but the cost is in human lives, so absolutely any cost at all is unacceptable. Shame Congress is too busy with culture war bullshit to effectively regulate absolutely any of this.

E:

Duck and Cover posted:

Holy poo poo somebody should fix this. Why the gently caress would it slow down just to prevent a motorcyclist from getting hit? Just awful design.

Even at sub-milisecond response times, the motorcycle is already gone (it's going way, way faster than the truck u see) before Adaptive CC has a chance to react.

Also, if a lane splitting motorcycle is going to cause an accident, I'd frankly rather the unsafe, illegally-lane-splitting motorcyclist be involved than some poor parent with kids in the car rear-ending a three ton work truck. If that's the choice, it's no choice at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 28, 2024

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

YouTube randomly skips around periodically when I'm watching longer videos now. Sometimes it goes forward 45 seconds, sometimes it goes back 210 minutes. I can't discern any pattern to when or why it does this or what makes it choose how much to skip, and it happens no matter what device I'm watching from. Just have to spend a few minutes scrubbing through the video and hope I can find where I left off before it does it again.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I agree with all the points above about Adaptive CC and for some, the feature probably is pretty cool.

But that I can't opt out of it is the issue. There's no way around it in a new Toyota as far as I can tell. And I hate that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

While we're on the topic, Google Maps is a huge, huge attention drain nowadays to the point that we're evaluating alternatives. Popups like Waze with an audio cue to ask if a speed trap or vehicle on the side of the road is Still There? Check. Popups suggesting dramatic and sometimes costly route changes that you have 10 seconds to engage with or they'll auto-accept? Check. Poorly worded instructions that require you to read and understand the next several steps of directions in order to navigate (calling the combined E/W expressway exit "Interstate West Exit" then immediately instructing to merge onto the East side of the exit, causing an unexpected lane change you've got 100ft to execute) Check.

People don't understand how much less safe we are when these "adaptive" tools are functionally maladaptive. It sounds trivial but the cost is in human lives, so absolutely any cost at all is unacceptable. Shame Congress is too busy with culture war bullshit to effectively regulate absolutely any of this.

E:

Even at sub-milisecond response times, the motorcycle is already gone (it's going way, way faster than the truck u see) before Adaptive CC has a chance to react.

Also, if a lane splitting motorcycle is going to cause an accident, I'd frankly rather the unsafe, illegally-lane-splitting motorcyclist be involved than some poor parent with kids in the car rear-ending a three ton work truck. If that's the choice, it's no choice at all.

Seems to me thanks to AI we can predict the motorcycle from far away and either swing out the doors or activate the harpoon at the appropriate time to ensure that motorcycle is punished for daring to use the roads. (also while people may tell me it's safe and legal to do so holy poo poo I certainly would not be willing to do it as I value my life). You might be asking do we really need AI for this? You're fired.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 28, 2024

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

redshirt posted:

I agree with all the points above about Adaptive CC and for some, the feature probably is pretty cool.

But that I can't opt out of it is the issue. There's no way around it in a new Toyota as far as I can tell. And I hate that.

If you can't Google it then you don't need to be turning it off, or even driving a car imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

If you can't Google it then you don't need to be turning it off, or even driving a car imo

Yes, you're correct, I give up my license to drive.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lmao a lot of modern stuff gets woeful mileage because everything is so big and heavy but needs to have some level of performance. I have a 1987 Civic that will do about 46mpg combined, engine tech has probably improved since then so why is a huge chunk modern stuff barely getting 35mpg and people are lauding it as great?

Cars should be smaller, lighter, less powerful.

Alternatively public transport should be everywhere because people barely want to pay attention long enough before they crash their poo poo anyway. (driving standards have definitely gotten shittier).

Saw two people watching TikTok or IG reels on their phone mounted to the dash while driving, with plenty of other cars around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

skooma512 posted:

Saw two people watching TikTok or IG reels on their phone mounted to the dash while driving, with plenty of other cars around.

The future is here

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

My company has had significant issues with adaptive CC in work vehicles.

appreciate you bringing expertise and data to the discussion, this is interesting

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why do old people struggle so hard to comprehend the idea of a "podcast"?? It's just a drat radio show. They can get the idea of steaming video but not podcasts for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why do old people struggle so hard to comprehend the idea of a "podcast"?? It's just a drat radio show. They can get the idea of steaming video but not podcasts for some reason.
this must be a skill issue with your elderlies. no issue with my machines.