Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quote-Unquote posted:

More comfortable, maybe, yeah, but unless you're an elephant that can't fit in a ford puma or something you'll be fine.

I worked with a literally 7.0 foot tall dude who drove a Geo Metro hatchback. Yes, it was very funny. He was a dick too, so like 6 of us kids picked up his car and placed it on the sidewalk between two poles. It was funny, we laughed, then we moved it back after he freaked out.

Unless you are a massive 400lb hambeast then you can probably fit in most cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I used to live in Idaho, which sucks for a lot of reasons, but it was always interesting making the drive from western Washington. It would gradually morph from a variety of small and large vehicles, which were mostly SUVs, to gigantic lifted trucks everywhere. Two of my old roommates had F-350s, one worked at home and would only use it to drive to the grocery store or gym, the other was usually unemployed and eventually had it repo’d. They definitely are not more comfortable to drive in either, unless you are exceptionally wide. The people who actually used their trucks on a regular basis had normal sized ones.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Gotta have the dually for the boat that gets taken to the lake once a year!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wizardofloneliness posted:

I used to live in Idaho, which sucks for a lot of reasons, but it was always interesting making the drive from western Washington. It would gradually morph from a variety of small and large vehicles, which were mostly SUVs, to gigantic lifted trucks everywhere. Two of my old roommates had F-350s, one worked at home and would only use it to drive to the grocery store or gym, the other was usually unemployed and eventually had it repo’d. They definitely are not more comfortable to drive in either, unless you are exceptionally wide. The people who actually used their trucks on a regular basis had normal sized ones.

I used to live in Western Washington and once you cross the mountains it's an entirely different state.

Also note that the size of truck beds are decreasing while the size of the cab and everything else is skyrocketing. It's just so loving dumb. Massive trucks are everywhere around here and they straight up don't fit in parking spots so they take up two or at least park farther away from the normies because their massive $80,000 vehicle being used to get groceries fucks over everyone else.

Parking garages can suck too. These massive trucks just make everything everywhere more dangerous. The actual utility of the loving truck is going down and the size is going up for.....?

edit: oh right, it's for morons

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

putting things into the truck bed must require help from friends!

Are you insane? You might scuff the bedliner, I've still got 138 months of payments left on this thing!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Massive trucks are everywhere around here and they straight up don't fit in parking spots so they take up two or at least park farther away from the normies because their massive $80,000 vehicle being used to get groceries fucks over everyone else.

Yeah, the parking spaces over there were loving huge too. Older stuff was still normal, but I worked in a newly-built office and the parking spots there were the widest I’ve ever seen.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I used to live in Western Washington and once you cross the mountains it's an entirely different state.

Also note that the size of truck beds are decreasing while the size of the cab and everything else is skyrocketing. It's just so loving dumb. Massive trucks are everywhere around here and they straight up don't fit in parking spots so they take up two or at least park farther away from the normies because their massive $80,000 vehicle being used to get groceries fucks over everyone else.

Parking garages can suck too. These massive trucks just make everything everywhere more dangerous. The actual utility of the loving truck is going down and the size is going up for.....?

edit: oh right, it's for morons

30% of the population believes consideration for others is evil op, they believe imposing yourself on everyone all the time is what makes you strong and big, the trucks are supposed to inconvenience and annoy those who don't have them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The tiny truckbeds are the most embarrassing part of the tiny dick mobile trucks. Like what the gently caress are you even doing with a 4ft bed? you can fit like one major appliance in there. maybe. but most people i know with trucks wont even risk that because it might scratch the bed!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

That's the funniest thing about gigantic modern trucks: the bed is basically too small to actually put anything in. I can more easily haul lumber, pipes, and other construction materials home in a compact SUV than a modern truck.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it seems like parking spots on average are getting smaller. i see giant trucks and suvs crammed tightly into spots labeled "compact" pretty often. sometimes a compact spot is smaller than normal, sometimes it's just a regular size spot.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Without a third axel this is just silly looking.

Although the immediate vibe it gives off is more that of a freight train than a truck.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Some of the motivation is toxic masculinity (which is used by car companies in marketing), but also SUVs have much better margins than other cars, and have lesser fuel economy and safety requirements. So car companies have discontinued a lot of lines of non-SUVs in the States, or have transitioned hatchbacks / vans / station wagon lines into SUV lines. And even the sedans that they sell have gotten significantly larger, because "more room" is the easiest feature that you can use to distinguish the new model of a car from an older one.

So, like, I'm not convinced that the individual choices of Americans are the primary issue here. From what I can tell, it's pretty much "Americans buy large cars because that is what is being sold to them".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VikingofRock posted:

So, like, I'm not convinced that the individual choices of Americans are the primary issue here. From what I can tell, it's pretty much "Americans buy large cars because that is what is being sold to them".

Yeah, I agree with that too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Gotta have the dually for the boat that gets taken to the lake once a year!

Oh cool, you know my uncle.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

wash bucket posted:

Oh cool, you know my uncle.

Yeah, he's the uncle that's from everyone's side of the family.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The_Franz posted:

That's the funniest thing about gigantic modern trucks: the bed is basically too small to actually put anything in. I can more easily haul lumber, pipes, and other construction materials home in a compact SUV than a modern truck.

Even the smallest bed you can get in the US hauls sheet goods with no trouble.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

The tiny truckbeds are the most embarrassing part of the tiny dick mobile trucks. Like what the gently caress are you even doing with a 4ft bed? you can fit like one major appliance in there. maybe. but most people i know with trucks wont even risk that because it might scratch the bed!

big truck go vroom vroom, look scary, blow smoke, own the libs

It's just for being a dick. The truck exists just to piss you off and if it succeeds then the owner has "won"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
my 2015 access cab Tacoma would sell today for as much as I bought it for 6 years and 50,000 miles ago, because pickup trucks have become the most enshittified thing ever.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

Even the smallest bed you can get in the US hauls sheet goods with no trouble.

I use a $500 trailer with my regular, smallish car. I fit in it, up to 4 more people can fit in it, and the trailer will haul more than the standard truck will.
I think it's funny a sizable portion of US drivers see no solution but that truck lol

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

it's a great way to tell everyone you have a micro-peen before you even climb out of your truck

I wish people would cool it with this "joke" because it makes no sense and I didn't develop a micro-penis until like 5 months after buying my F3390-Hyperfuckerduty.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

my 2015 access cab Tacoma would sell today for as much as I bought it for 6 years and 50,000 miles ago, because pickup trucks have become the most enshittified thing ever.

I bought a 2019 tacoma brand new and for a while it was worth more than I paid for it

Easily the miserably uncomfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Also never got better than 16mpg from the day I bought it. Idiots are buying these trucks saying "oh its the last truck i'll ever buy, i'm excited to hand it down to my kids" about a gas guzzling POS with leaf springs and drum brakes

EDIT

To add - I sold that truck and I've been driving a Chevy Traxx rental. Its insane how much better it is - more comfortable, easier to drive, literally double the gas mileage, and the entire interior folds flat + the front passenger seat folds down. I'd buy an AWD version or something similar wayyyyy before I ever bought another truck again

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Car and truck communities are so obnoxious. Car guys won't shut the gently caress up about how you need a V8 bro and if you point out a tesla is fsster they loving lose it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Car and truck communities are so obnoxious. Car guys won't shut the gently caress up about how you need a V8 bro and if you point out a tesla is fsster they loving lose it

let us save the environment by making our cars go faster, also 1000 pounds heavier, also full of exotic conflict minerals

we could have had cities and towns where human beings could feel like they belonged, but no, we will try to make bigger batteries and change nothing about the unsustainable way we live

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Everyone will soon have truck beds filled with antimatter so if there's ever a crash then its mutually assured destruction

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Time_pants posted:

We're exceptionally stupid, OP.

and mean. stupid and mean.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The 1999 pathfinder was an amazing impossible to kill beast of a 4wd SUV rock crawler.

The new pathfinders are just embarrassing wannabe luxury suvs.

gently caress all car manufacturers

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

'Small' and 'Comfortable' aren't mutually exclusive.

The Smart Roadster my parents had is for people of average or smaller stature a surprisingly comfortable vehicle. The suspension very much feels like that of a late 90s Merc E-class taxi, just with shorter travel. The seats are very supportive. I really enjoyed riding along in that thing until the ABS/TC system started acting completely weird, sometimes actuating the ABS on very gentle braking or kicking out the rear at seemingly random moments in a gentle curve. Scared the poo poo out of me so after that, i didn't wanna come along anymore lol.
I still want one - but now with an SV1000 engine and gearbox.

An Opel Corsa from the late 90 has very plush suspension, so does the Opel Astra from that same era, and so does the Twingo 2. Twingo 1 is alright but less refined.

As long as you don't try and cram 4 adults into a small car, things can be completely comfy and spaceous enough. Also, for a while the trend was to try and make every car sporty so then you end up with overly bumpy rides.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 26, 2024

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Sales Drive Businesses

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

20 Blunts posted:

Sales Drive Businesses

And yet sales can lead a business into a corner. They sell a bunch of luxobarges, so they make more luxobarges and discontinue models that don't sell as well (or realistically that don't bring in the same margins). Now all they have are luxobarges, which get all the sales because that's ALL they sell. This is especially bad because now even the non-luxobarges are being given luxury upgrades and are unaffordable. So you have a choice of an unaffordable runabout with luxury tacked on or an unaffordable luxobarge whose whole point is luxury. You're going to be dumping a bunch of money either way, because that's all the consumer choice we have. More money, or the most money.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Vampire Panties posted:

To add - I sold that truck and I've been driving a Chevy Traxx rental. Its insane how much better it is - more comfortable, easier to drive, literally double the gas mileage, and the entire interior folds flat + the front passenger seat folds down. I'd buy an AWD version or something similar wayyyyy before I ever bought another truck again

My partner totaled his Passat in October.

We ended up replacing it with a new Trax.

So far, it's been a good car. They don't make an AWD version, but he's driven it through major snowstorms OK.

I'm trying to keep us as a one car payment at a time household, so I just need to keep driving my 2013 Legacy until 2029 or 2030!

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

blackmet posted:

I'm trying to keep us as a one car payment at a time household, so I just need to keep driving my 2013 Legacy until 2029 or 2030!

Why stop there? When my current Subaru eventually dies, I probably won't even replace it. I'll just sit in the driveway and make engine noises with my mouth while bouncing in the seat. Food delivery will cost a bit but it's better than dealing with a new one with auto engine stop.

Speaking of things which suck, yeah, auto engine stop sucks. It's especially awful in traffic when it's 100 degrees outside.

Also my first car would sometimes stall at stoplights and refuse to restart so you can imagine the stress that might trigger.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

buffbus posted:

Why stop there? When my current Subaru eventually dies, I probably won't even replace it. I'll just sit in the driveway and make engine noises with my mouth while bouncing in the seat. Food delivery will cost a bit but it's better than dealing with a new one with auto engine stop.

Speaking of things which suck, yeah, auto engine stop sucks. It's especially awful in traffic when it's 100 degrees outside.

Also my first car would sometimes stall at stoplights and refuse to restart so you can imagine the stress that might trigger.
As long as the Subaru isn't rusted out, you can always get the engine rebuilt or replaced. It's a lot cheaper than a new car.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

cat botherer posted:

As long as the Subaru isn't rusted out, you can always get the engine rebuilt or replaced. It's a lot cheaper than a new car.

2008 Impreza wagon owner here, can confirm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ej251s are still like under $1500 cad here. theres loads around. jdm importers bring in <100k km cars and gut them for parts. its wonderful

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I will never own another Subaru boxer engine for the rest of my life. Every one I've ever owned has poo poo the bed and would cost more than the rest of the car was worth. Goddamn sideways loving stupid rear end engines.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

anonumos posted:

I will never own another Subaru boxer engine for the rest of my life. Every one I've ever owned has poo poo the bed and would cost more than the rest of the car was worth. Goddamn sideways loving stupid rear end engines.

Gasket blowout?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Quote-Unquote posted:

serious question: why do americans love gigantic cars? america has incredibly cheap petrol compared to developed countries but insists on having huge cars so it works out similarly expensive.

Bad reasons, lots of which were given. It's an arms race where the biggest car owner kills the smaller one in an accident.

Onion is right on the money again
https://www.theonion.com/conscientious-suv-shopper-just-wants-something-that-wil-1844930331

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LimaBiker posted:

As long as you don't try and cram 4 adults into a small car, things can be completely comfy and spaceous enough. Also, for a while the trend was to try and make every car sporty so then you end up with overly bumpy rides.

You can also stand to be a little uncomfortable some of the time. It's not the end of the world if your car doesn't work for 100% of scenarios and only 99%. This obsession with not having once to endure the slightest inconvenience in our daily lives has led to some absurd outcomes IMO.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bad reasons, lots of which were given. It's an arms race where the biggest car owner kills the smaller one in an accident.

Onion is right on the money again
https://www.theonion.com/conscientious-suv-shopper-just-wants-something-that-wil-1844930331

part of it is federal safety mandates as well. anti-intrusion protection and rollover protection has created some absurdly strong chassis which are quite large. its also why backup cameras and blind spot sensors are basically mandatory now, pillars are so thick (mandatory curtain airbags also beefing up the pillars), and the glass is so small and high that sightlines around the car are very very bad. its a joke when i sit in my little 80s coupe that weighs 2000 lb and compare that to a "compact car" of today which is longer, taller, weighs 1000 lb more and has visibility so bad i feel like im in a truck.

modern car design has focused on "safety" so much the messaging may as well be "feel free to crash at any time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Feel free to crash and be forced to buy a new car at any time