Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Oreo McFlurries kind of suck now. McDonald's ice cream used to taste vanilla like, now it tastes like Wendy's frosties. That is to say, it is less flavourful than if I just left a cup of milk in my car during the winter.

How nearly all reviewer sites are just paid fake content.

How so many kids want freelance marketing hype-man to be their career, but calling it 'influencer'.

Reddit killing Joey (third party apps)

There's no fireflies where I live anymore.

There's no deer where I live anymore (though this may be a blessing considering wasting disease is spreading to basically everywhere )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Houle posted:

Oreo McFlurries kind of suck now. McDonald's ice cream used to taste vanilla like, now it tastes like Wendy's frosties. That is to say, it is less flavourful than if I just left a cup of milk in my car during the winter.

How nearly all reviewer sites are just paid fake content.

How so many kids want freelance marketing hype-man to be their career, but calling it 'influencer'.

Reddit killing Joey (third party apps)

There's no fireflies where I live anymore.

There's no deer where I live anymore (though this may be a blessing considering wasting disease is spreading to basically everywhere )

I think these questions deserve answers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The deer here have been coming into town way more frequently. It's pretty unnerving to round the corner of a building and be face to face with a doe. I haven't heard of any injuries from them yet, but it's only a matter of time until some weird Giygas poo poo happens.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, when it comes to driving controls TNG were unfortunately pretty prescient.

All touch all the time.

Did a shrimp-like species member of the Federation design these chairs? This doesn't look like a good time for Brent and Levar's spines.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dip Viscous posted:

The deer here have been coming into town way more frequently. It's pretty unnerving to round the corner of a building and be face to face with a doe. I haven't heard of any injuries from them yet, but it's only a matter of time until some weird Giygas poo poo happens.

Wait til September for a problem to become an opportunity

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think you'd want to eat a deer that has wasting disease, hell I don't know if you'd want to eat any deer right now. You don't gently caress with prions.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shake flavor changes and deer are rarer gee I wonder.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I had to make a new Microsoft account for someone today. It made me do a Captcha thing with 20 steps. Click the arrows until the right object is in the right "orbit" (around like a sun or something), press ok, move on to next one. Progress bar moves closer towards 20 - so it's not like a flexible one where you get more if you get one wrong. I didn't want to see what happened if you got one wrong.

Is Tonty Blair AI behind this?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I once struggled with a Captcha for a very long time and a goon suggested it was not because I was solving the riddles or whatever incorrectly, but because I was doing so like a robot.

So now when I get a Captcha I make sure to move my mouse around all over the screen in weird motions that hopefully look human, and then click on the wrong pictures a bunch of times because that's what a human might do

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Select all squares with
motorcycles
If there are none, click skip

*shows a picture of a lady on a bicycle*

*skip*

Please select all matching images.

:blastu:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i get anxious about whether or not a square with just a little bit of crosswalk is still considered crosswalk

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Captchas create jobs for captcha solvers. That's the point right? So that account sellers buy captcha solves, so that they can sell their accounts to botters or use the accounts to bot themselves.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That reverse scammer guy on YouTube made a website to counter scam scammers that makes them solve captchas then tells them they didn’t select all the motocycles or whatever and makes them do them over. To switch it up he makes ones that tell them to draw a boat then tells them it didn’t register as boat shaped.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Animal-Mother posted:

Did a shrimp-like species member of the Federation design these chairs? This doesn't look like a good time for Brent and Levar's spines.

In Season 1, they were practically recliners.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Blue Moonlight posted:

Looks like something out of r/malelivingspaces

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Web pages that don't show which category the product you clicked on belongs to, like if you found it from a search. This is an annoying trend I see more of lately. Makes it harder to compare products.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Web pages that don't show which category the product you clicked on belongs to, like if you found it from a search. This is an annoying trend I see more of lately. Makes it harder to compare products.

When they use tags instead of breadcrumbs

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Compare products? gently caress you just buy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

They started out heavily reclined like that. It might've been to give better clearance to the viewscreen. Or maybe it was meant to be more ergonomic using those controls. Anyway they changed it after the first few seasons for something more normal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2024

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Gas pumps here started playing ads in Canada. I pressed every button but none of them muted it. Will likely try pushing different combinations of these buttons next time I go. Or hold it down. Or just ask the person at the store whenever I pay.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

wash bucket posted:

Select all squares with
motorcycles
If there are none, click skip

*shows a picture of a lady on a bicycle*

*skip*

Please select all matching images.

:blastu:

I have to use several court system websites for work, and they time out constantly and I have to do captchas what seems like every 30 minutes. And they don't seem to make any exceptions, I once sat as the literal court attorney had to do a dozen before she could get through.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I ran into this one a while back:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of the time the captcha has already decided you're human, they're just using you as free labour to train a vision AI. There'll be squares it's sure about, and those validate that you're actually trying to be accurate, and then some that are edge cases, and you confirm it one way or the other for the AI to learn.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Last Visible Dog posted:

I ran into this one a while back:

lmao I would just nope out of the website if it showed me this.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

MikeJF posted:

A lot of the time the captcha has already decided you're human, they're just using you as free labour to train a vision AI. There'll be squares it's sure about, and those validate that you're actually trying to be accurate, and then some that are edge cases, and you confirm it one way or the other for the AI to learn.

Yup. Crowd sourced image recognition.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Before this wasn't it to help digitize old books?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Houle posted:

to train ai models with, yes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Houle posted:

Back in the day, yep. The method above is how they did that too; they'd give you one word they knew and one word they didn't. If you got the known word wrong (or gave an answer that didn't line up with what other people were giving for the second word) they'd give you a captcha where they knew both words.

If you wanted to gamble and were reasonably sure of which word was the known one, you could give a gibberish/wrong answer for the second one and get a pass. Easier because it was usually a less common/more complex word (or otherwise wouldn't OCR well)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"Y'all staring at y'all big rear end screen, nothing happening, y'all watching it."

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zamujasa posted:

Back in the day, yep. The method above is how they did that too; they'd give you one word they knew and one word they didn't. If you got the known word wrong (or gave an answer that didn't line up with what other people were giving for the second word) they'd give you a captcha where they knew both words.

If you wanted to gamble and were reasonably sure of which word was the known one, you could give a gibberish/wrong answer for the second one and get a pass. Easier because it was usually a less common/more complex word (or otherwise wouldn't OCR well)

I used to type the known word then a slur to mess with the AI

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Why are there no clocks on TVs anymore. The streaming services don't show the time. Native TV OSes don't show it. You have to mount a clock on the wall next to the TV, which seems like a step backwards to me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

anonumos posted:

Why are there no clocks on TVs anymore. The streaming services don't show the time. Native TV OSes don't show it. You have to mount a clock on the wall next to the TV, which seems like a step backwards to me.

It does with cable. :smug:

I am a complete moron for paying so much for that trash but I have my reasons. :colbert:

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Why should they remind you of how long you've been consuming ads for?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The last time I bought a TV was before the smart TV era but I don't remember any of mine having clocks. Or if they did I never found it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I want a dumb TV and a dumb car and by gum just give me a dumb Nokia phone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My TCL Roku TV has a clock on the main screen and I can pick several clock themes for the screen saver, but I can't ever recall having a TV with a permanent clock display built in. Maybe a really fancy old 50s-60s wooden cabinet model?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
Discord is terrible and has decided to start showing ads because why hold back, really

Some Neocon Rag posted:

Discord to Start Showing Ads for Gamers to Boost Revenue

Social-media startup Discord plans to start showing advertisements on its free platform in the coming week after long dismissing them, becoming the latest tech company to turn to ads to try to boost revenue.
The paid promotions are from videogame makers and will offer users gifts for completing in-game tasks while their friends watch on Discord.

https://archive.is/SPgOM

While I think this is just for the streaming part, I hope this drives it into the ground and pushes people back into better standards. Anyone have experience with matrix/synapse/element?

DemihumanResources fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's April 1st, right?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Nettle Soup posted:

It's April 1st, right?

I don't think the Wall Street Journal usually does full article pranks? I'd be happy to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Blue Moonlight posted:

The screens are tilted so far away from the chair angle, how can they read poo poo? Data and Geordi probably can, but I'm pretty sure everyone else just has regular eyes.