Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

carrionman posted:

The Chelsea and Edmonds websites are the gold standards for recipes online imo:

Difficulty indicator

Time to prepare and bake

Servings

Ingredients

Step by step method.

E: shoutout to the meal prep manual as well, with toggles for by volume, by imperial weight and by metric weight. As well as a slider for number of servings that automatically adjusts ingredients needed, and a print friendly option

Right, but what about the fractions of memoir split across dozens of recipes? That's a major source of contemporary nonfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I started copying recipes to text files and saving them on Dropbox instead of bookmarking them, easier to fix them too since 90% of recipes call for 1/2 teaspoon of stuff like pepper and salt which is insane

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's kind of a trope by now, but gently caress 100% of recipes posted on the internet. I don't want to scroll through 30k lines of text before I get to the ingredient list
Fresh in my mind because I was trying to find a specific cookie recipe last night

I remember the innocent, carefree days of my youth when we used to gallavant around the fens and spinneys of the local woodland area, flush with the spirit of youth and an air of rebellion within our zeitgeist. Thus we used to discuss at length our favorite treats that each of our mothers would provide for us on occasion and - to me, at least - the clear winner of each such encounter was cookies. Oh, how we savored the mere thought of my mother's homemade cookies! We were loathe to leave our playtime, but equally excited we were to sample the delicious baked goods that we all knew deep down, even in the most deep and imaginative moments of our playtime, would be waiting for us upon our return.

[2000 characters later]

get a bunch of flour, sugar, egg and chocolate, mix it in a bowl and then dollop it out and bake it

[50 characters later]

I hope you have enjoyed this journey with me. Don't forget to like and subscribe.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I feel like recipe websites are actually decent about all that now compared to a while ago, there's almost always a "jump to recipe" button on the ones I've used this year

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah recipe sites have caught on that long rambling poo poo is not helping them with SEO or anything any more, so most ones I go to have a jump to recipe link and the bulk of the text is talking about variations of the recipe (if you wanted to substitute brown sugar for honey or whatever).

Weirdly enough google getting shittier has improved recipe websites. Nature, it's healing, somehow.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You have Google to thank for that either way. For a long time they prioritized results with a lot of text that people would scroll all the way through. Not sure if they still do but for the longest time they saw that as the website having expert opinions that searchers wanted to know about. The only way to combat it would be if everyone immediately left the page upon loading instead of scrolling to the bottom. Which I presume is what started happening to cause the change.

Recipe searching still sucks though

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah recipe sites have caught on that long rambling poo poo is not helping them with SEO or anything any more, so most ones I go to have a jump to recipe link and the bulk of the text is talking about variations of the recipe (if you wanted to substitute brown sugar for honey or whatever).

Weirdly enough google getting shittier has improved recipe websites. Nature, it's healing, somehow.

I doubled the vanilla and substituted the walnuts with cashews, the chocolate chips with craisins, and the brown sugar with taco seasoning. Not a very good cookie recipe. Two stars.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

We all made fun of gamefaqs because of the insane people on the forums there but it turns out that literally everything that had anything to do with video game hints/walkthroughs was infinitely worse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I remember the innocent, carefree days of my youth when we used to gallavant around the fens and spinneys of the local woodland area, flush with the spirit of youth and an air of rebellion within our zeitgeist. Thus we used to discuss at length our favorite treats that each of our mothers would provide for us on occasion and - to me, at least - the clear winner of each such encounter was cookies. Oh, how we savored the mere thought of my mother's homemade cookies! We were loathe to leave our playtime, but equally excited we were to sample the delicious baked goods that we all knew deep down, even in the most deep and imaginative moments of our playtime, would be waiting for us upon our return.

[2000 characters later]

get a bunch of flour, sugar, egg and chocolate, mix it in a bowl and then dollop it out and bake it

[50 characters later]

I hope you have enjoyed this journey with me. Don't forget to like and subscribe.

At night, the tigers came. The musk of their hunt lent a zesty spice to the sauce....

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

big mean giraffe posted:

I started copying recipes to text files and saving them on Dropbox instead of bookmarking them, easier to fix them too since 90% of recipes call for 1/2 teaspoon of stuff like pepper and salt which is insane

I use paprika on is (I think it’s a goon project) that automatically scrapes the recipes from websites.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Quote-Unquote posted:

We all made fun of gamefaqs because of the insane people on the forums there but it turns out that literally everything that had anything to do with video game hints/walkthroughs was infinitely worse.

On the rare occasions I look up a good old-fashioned GameFAQ, I save it to a text file, same way I do recipes. They keep making that site worse and worse, and eventually, the purity of those precisely formatted text files will be fully ruined in some fundamental way, while remaining the shambling version of itself. I don't know how you could do that with a text file, but they will 100% find a way.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You can get all of the GameFAQs text files at once from here. https://archive.org/details/Gamespot_Gamefaqs_TXTs

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dip Viscous posted:

You can get all of the GameFAQs text files at once from here. https://archive.org/details/Gamespot_Gamefaqs_TXTs

Welp there we are. Thank you, this should take practically no space.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

You've been hit by; you've been struck by.

Say what you will about Michael Jackson as a babysitter, the man valued accurate punctuation.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

carrionman posted:

The Chelsea and Edmonds websites are the gold standards for recipes online imo:

Difficulty indicator

Time to prepare and bake

Servings

Ingredients

Step by step method.

E: shoutout to the meal prep manual as well, with toggles for by volume, by imperial weight and by metric weight. As well as a slider for number of servings that automatically adjusts ingredients needed, and a print friendly option

drat, that actually sounds incredibly useful, so... what you're saying is don't get attached?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Say what you will about Michael Jackson as a babysitter, the man valued accurate punctuation.

Gotta post the video now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_D3VFfhvs4

franco
Jan 3, 2003

rafikki posted:

I use paprika on is (I think it’s a goon project) that automatically scrapes the recipes from websites.

I've used it forever but this is the first I've heard of goon involvement?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I print out recipes like a boomer, a piece of paper can't keep switching its bloody screen off!!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've basically stopped using recipes. I just don't use them anymore, unless I'm making something for the 1st time, or if I am curing meat when it's important to get the right amount of prague powder.

But mostly I just know that for this kind of food I need about so and so of this and this and this will go well with this and so on. It makes it difficult to tell others how to cook something I did.

e: Also facebook, the useless most relevant comments have been up before, but I've detected a new level of shittyness, even if there are no "relevant comments" facebook prefer to show no comments rather than showing all comments. Just so loving stupid.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 30, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I print out recipes like a boomer, a piece of paper can't keep switching its bloody screen off!!

Same. I make a mess in the kitchen so I don't want a laptop or a tablet in there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nettle Soup posted:

I have started buying cookbooks from second hand stores. I both love and hate it. Love having these options available to just flip through, love that it can't turn off and it's easier to read than a tiny screen. I use flags to mark recipes I want to make in the future and pull them out during meal planning.

Hate that they can be full of old terms I need to Google and sometimes/often they leave out vital information assuming you know how to do X, Y, or Z. And if you buy one too old, you're getting an aspic section. I am never making these jelly horrors.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 30, 2024

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And if you buy one too old, you're getting an aspic section. I am never making these jelly horrors.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

franco posted:

I've used it forever but this is the first I've heard of goon involvement?

I’m not positive, just vaguely recall reading that in some thread. Probably the iPhone or iPad one.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Yeah see how easy that is? If you want you could try compound-wording it like "audiobook".

We could probably also get away with "radio show" even if it isn't technically correct - since it's a pre-existing term already understood first and foremost as a presentation format rather than a piece of tech (and it's analogous to a series on Netflix being a "TV show" even if you don't necessarily watch it on TV). "Online radio show" would probably cover all the bases for most folks.

Hell, we could've just called them "iPod shows" and it probably would've clicked with most people.

They were called internet radio shows for at least 6 years before the iPod came out. I pledge to stop calling them podcasts because it was corny even when it was cool.

I remember the first time I heard a computer toucher say "podcast" and he used a generic mp3 player and not an iPod. He also owned a Dell Alienware PC and was one of the first people I ever saw get excited about Twitter and he was a fan of that show about the Duggars having 57 kids.

Worst of all he honestly believed that WindowsNT Server 4 was a better product than Novell Netware 5. (yeah I know, let's not derail the thread on it though)

So if you wanna be that kind of guy then keep calling them podcasts.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://youtu.be/zUy8FjH_qeA

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I'm sorry I ever complained about people cluttering up presentations and blog posts with meme images / gifs. People are using ML generated images in their stuff now and it's way worse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is now the 3rd year in a row where as soon as the start of Summer rolls around all of the tap water in my city begins absolutely reeking of mold. The water company says "Oh it's just an algae bloom don't worry about it it's totally safe" but meanwhile I've gotta take showers that smell like they're pure liquid mold, and have to buy bottled water to drink water that doesn't taste like mold and that my cats will drink. They talk about it like it's a thing that has always happened every year forever but I've lived here for ~27 years and it never happened prior to 2021. Even after going through a brita filter it smells and tastes like mold.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 30, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is now the 3rd year in a row where as soon as the start of Summer rolls around all of the tap water in my city begins absolutely reeking of mold. The water company says "Oh it's just an algae bloom don't worry about it it's totally safe" but meanwhile I've gotta take showers that smell like they're pure liquid mold, and have to buy bottled water to drink water that doesn't taste like mold and that my cats will drink. They talk about it like it's a thing that has always happened every year forever but I've lived here for ~27 years and it never happened prior to 2021. Even after going through a brita filter it smells and tastes like mold.

Look, to fix that we would need to update the water treatment plant which would require raising taxes by 2%. Last time we tried that rednecks with guns tried to kidnap the mayor. So you see there’s nothing we can do.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DemihumanResources posted:

For example, one of the reasons everything has a rear view camera is because the visibility has been drastically reduced from the simultaneous balancing of crash safety requirements via stronger frames and gas mileage requirements via total weight

That's not to say it's impossible impossible but this was the new equation to be solved and it optimized to this solution around cost

Reducing production of cars and restoring old cars would save far more carbon than building cars with .5 more mpg but doesn't make number go up

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I recently drank some Fireball liquor for the first time in a couple years.

It tasted watered down and not good. Is it because I bought a few nips at a sketchy beer-only corner store or is that the entire brand now? I used to buy the 750 ml or 1 L bottles and I always enjoyed the taste of it straight. But the tiny nips bottles were halfway to mouthwash. Anyone got input on this??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s beer

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The gas station fireball is a lower alcohol version. It’s different from the liquor store stuff.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just heard on the radio the other day that the little bottles aren't really Fireball. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's not the same thing as what's in a bigger bottle.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ProperCauldron posted:

I recently drank some Fireball liquor for the first time in a couple years.

It tasted watered down and not good. Is it because I bought a few nips at a sketchy beer-only corner store or is that the entire brand now?

Yes. They sell a version of it that's basically malt liquor to skirt alcohol laws and sell it in grocery stores and the like. No idea if it's better or worse. But it is a whole other thing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The gas station stuff just says "Cinnamon" on the front and is 16% ABV malt or wine based dog poo poo, whereas regular fireball says "Cinnamon Whisky" on the front and is 33% ABV whisky based dog poo poo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This isn't something that just got shittier. I just found out WHY it got shittier.

The city I live in is on a large lake that's a big deal for all the tourism and recreation reasons you would expect. Except it's very polluted. Sport fishing is still a huge draw but every pier and boat ramp has big signs that say "Do NOT eat these fish!" Of course everyone ignores those signs. Once upon a time I asked why the lake was so polluted and the response was, "Used to be a bunch of factories around the lake back in the day or something."

Well today I learned the exact reason why this lake is so polluted. It's listed on the EPA's website as a superfund site. It wasn't a bunch of factories. It was exactly one small factory that dumped industrial waste directly into a creek from the 50s to the 80s. This entire lake was ruined for generations by this one factory and everyone's reaction is, "Eh, something's gotta kill you."

Shout out to boring government agencies though. The EPA cared more about this than the people being poisoned by it. They made the company pay for many millions in remediation and cleanup efforts, they're still monitoring the pollution levels, and they have decades of documents and studies online that nobody gives a poo poo about.

If you would like to search for EPA superfund sites in your area then click here to ruin your day.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 2, 2024

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Yah thanks everybody, I def bought the cheapo knockoff Fireball. Funny cuz I always saw them at the local 7-11 and never bought them. I thought maybe it was a specific scam to this corner store because they (1) have iced cups of nutcracker in the ice cream freezer bin, (2) half the products not in English, and (3) filled with NYPD, so on a scale of Very to Extremely, it's hard to gauge just how corrupt they are.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poo poo now I want some gas station Fireball

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Vegetable Thins are thinner and have less flavour and don't have a satisfying bite. They used to be slightly puffed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Houle posted:

Vegetable Thins are thinner and have less flavour and don't have a satisfying bite. They used to be slightly puffed up.

Vegetable emaciateds