Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It happened. We put YouTube up on the TV because my son likes to watch This Old House, and a full loving third of the screen is covered in ads for Lowe's and poo poo and we couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. What the gently caress is this? I'm loving watching something. What, do you think I'm going to go running out to buy some nails or something? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Time_pants posted:

It happened. We put YouTube up on the TV because my son likes to watch This Old House, and a full loving third of the screen is covered in ads for Lowe's and poo poo and we couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. What the gently caress is this? I'm loving watching something. What, do you think I'm going to go running out to buy some nails or something? gently caress off.

drat that's crazy. Youtube is wild. Lowe's is great though. They've got 35% off select major appliances through 5/15 right now. Save an extra $50 for every $500 you spend on select LG major appliances. Did you know they have mail in rebates? You can get $100 back on any LG dishwasher or select LG built-in cooking appliance. Don't miss 12 months special financing when you purchase a $299 or greater value appliance from now until January 31st!

Yup. "Lowe's knows Spring." That's what I've been saying, organically, for years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The above post reminds me of an ad trend that vanished some time ago, randomly highlighted words on web sites that would pop up ads when you hovered over them.

Take heart: ad trends suck, but some of them don't last, sometimes, maybe.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They sometimes still do that. It's funny reading a review for a piece of hardware that highlights the word "motherboard" which if you hover over shows a link to a page to buy a different motherboard. Wow, that's so cool and helpful!

And it's also just absolutely random poo poo that gets highlighted, half the time specific model names and stuff don't get picked up, but a random word like "video" does. And for some reason it's tech sites that still seem to be using it the most???

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
More evidence that javascript is what killed the web

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I don't suppose anyone knows how to get that poo poo off a lovely TCL from 2015.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUe0o9VRgMM

listening to rick beato bag on music.
He plays it up for the camera in parts, but yeah the music that is becoming popular now is getting boring.

For years, I have heard people say "I like songs that tell a story."
Those people won. And yeah the songs are kind of interesting ... to read.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 5, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

moist banana bread posted:

I like how dioxin guy goes into an unhinged rant about aspartame. Just amazing.

Now listen. I may or may not have killed an entire town by hosing it down with venom that lurks eternal in the bosom of the Earth, striking down young and old alike, warping their flesh until they beg for death then receive it before their time, but lemme tell you 'bout...

*leans closer, whispering*

...aspartame!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I realise this is pretty personal and specific to me and my language/culture, but in the last year or so I've noticed a language shift (also on these forums) where 'cancer' is used casually to describe something lovely. "Such and such is cancer."

This bothers me because in my native language, Dutch, it's one of the worst (if not the worst) profanities used in much the same way, either as an expletive or an adjective.
I was raised (and I still feel this way as an adult) that it's a very lovely thing to use as a profanity. Dutch swears a lot with diseases (typhoid, pox, etc.) but 'kanker' is by far the worst because of how prevalent the disease still is today. Pretty much everyone lost a loved one to it.

Nothing I can do about it, obviously, and it's not even a big deal really, but it's still off-putting to me. It's as if everyone suddenly started using the R-word casually again to describe something they don't like.

When it's phrased as 'a cancer', like "Microtransactions are a cancer within the games industry." it's not off-putting at all, oddly, probably because it's a more established phrasing and a less casual, more apt descriptor.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It is one I try very much not to use, having lost people close to me to cancer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

on the internet, "cancer" is to "aids" what "smoothbrained"/"stupid"/"idiotic" is to "retarded". people get an ick when someone says "this is aids" but not "this is cancer". with some exception, i guess (i didn't know that cancer was basically a swear in dutch)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

on the internet, "cancer" is to "aids" what "smoothbrained"/"stupid"/"idiotic" is to "retarded". people get an ick when someone says "this is aids" but not "this is cancer". with some exception, i guess (i didn't know that cancer was basically a swear in dutch)

I've seen people on these very forums say that "this is cancer" and "this is aids" are actually very cool and good, pretty sure it was in the advice and feedback thread. I think they're both gross and very sheltered upbringing sounding tbh.

It's kind of random what is collectively declared offensive and off limits, and a lot of it is roughly due to "well most of us don't find it offensive" which both makes a lot of sense and also no sense at the same time. Words are hard.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
People from different places will have different relations to word according to cultural baggage, yes

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Popoto posted:

People from different places will have different relations to word according to cultural baggage, yes

Yeah. Like I said, it's very specific to my upbringing and culture (and me being a softy, hell, even in the Dutch thread people use kanker more than I'd like) and I'm not arguing it should be stopped or anything even if it were possible to change a language shift like this but it was something I noticed getting shittier (for me, personally) and I thought it'd be an interesting thing to share.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Taeke posted:

Yeah. Like I said, it's very specific to my upbringing and culture (and me being a softy, hell, even in the Dutch thread people use kanker more than I'd like) and I'm not arguing it should be stopped or anything even if it were possible to change a language shift like this but it was something I noticed getting shittier (for me, personally) and I thought it'd be an interesting thing to share.

I think it's a valid observation observation that, at least in the US, language has been trending more and more hyperbolic. We basically use up the most extreme language possible until we become inured to it, at which point we ratchet the rhetoric up another notch, and the cycle continues.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Taeke posted:

I realise this is pretty personal and specific to me and my language/culture, but in the last year or so I've noticed a language shift (also on these forums) where 'cancer' is used casually to describe something lovely. "Such and such is cancer."

This bothers me because in my native language, Dutch, it's one of the worst (if not the worst) profanities used in much the same way, either as an expletive or an adjective.
I was raised (and I still feel this way as an adult) that it's a very lovely thing to use as a profanity. Dutch swears a lot with diseases (typhoid, pox, etc.) but 'kanker' is by far the worst because of how prevalent the disease still is today. Pretty much everyone lost a loved one to it.

Nothing I can do about it, obviously, and it's not even a big deal really, but it's still off-putting to me. It's as if everyone suddenly started using the R-word casually again to describe something they don't like.

When it's phrased as 'a cancer', like "Microtransactions are a cancer within the games industry." it's not off-putting at all, oddly, probably because it's a more established phrasing and a less casual, more apt descriptor.

This post is Lou Gehrig

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I now understand why my tight 5 about canker sores at the Dutch comedy club bombed

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I now understand why my tight 5 about canker sores at the Dutch comedy club bombed

lol BOOOO!!!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Time_pants posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows how to get that poo poo off a lovely TCL from 2015.

The only way around this stuff these days is to buy one of those $100ish HDMI stick PCs that come with Windows pre-installed. Put on a browser and load it with uBlock. There are apps that can control everything from your phone so you're not sitting there like a dweeb with a keyboard and mouse. You can access all the russian streaming sites and watch whatever you want.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Taeke posted:

It’s totally legit to bring up, and you’re not a softy for saying so. You get to have feelings about this, and it’s better to express and work through them than to repress and pretend you’re totally fine.

Plus, I never knew about diseases as curse words in Dutch and maybe it’s something in the future to keep in mind if, for some reason, it’s relevant? Who knows! Still quite fascinating!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, it's always been the thing I hate most about our language.

Kanker is the big one that is highly offensive, on the level of the C-word in the US I guess? Casual use in public would make heads turn in disapproval and kids would get a stern reprimand or even punishment by their parents for even saying the word. (Outside of legitimate usage when discussing the actual disease, of course.) Then there's mid level stuff like 'tering' (tuberculosis) and 'tyfus' (typhoid), and more acceptable are 'pokken' (pox) and 'schurft' (scabies) which barely register on the offensiveness scale.
Most are used either as an expletive (like when you hit your thumb with a hammer) or as an adjective to describe something, often compounded with something else offensive for an insult. 'Kankerhoer', for example, which means cancer whore, or 'tyfushond' (typhoid dog). They can be compounded with anything though, really, in the same way 'loving' is used in English. The loving train is late again. De teringtrein is weer te laat.

Funnily enough the most common swears by far these days are 'gently caress', 'loving' and 'poo poo' because English spreads like a plague.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Taeke posted:

Funnily enough the most common swears by far these days are 'gently caress', 'loving' and 'poo poo' because English spreads like a plague.

No, it spreads like something else.... what is it again....

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Taeke posted:

:perfect:

Actual masterpiece.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Taeke posted:

Kanker is the big one that is highly offensive, on the level of the C-word in the US I guess? Casual use in public would make heads turn in disapproval and kids would get a stern reprimand or even punishment by their parents for even saying the word. (Outside of legitimate usage when discussing the actual disease, of course.) Then there's mid level stuff like 'tering' (tuberculosis) and 'tyfus' (typhoid), and more acceptable are 'pokken' (pox) and 'schurft' (scabies) which barely register on the offensiveness scale.
Most are used either as an expletive (like when you hit your thumb with a hammer) or as an adjective to describe something, often compounded with something else offensive for an insult. 'Kankerhoer', for example, which means cancer whore, or 'tyfushond' (typhoid dog). They can be compounded with anything though, really, in the same way 'loving' is used in English. The loving train is late again. De teringtrein is weer te laat.

I never would have pegged diseases as a category of swear word (alongside religious and bodily functions), that's interesting. You can say something like "a pox upon your house!" as an old-timey insult, but I think that's the only one that works in English outside of the more modern usage of "cancer."

As a native English speaker, listening to Dutch always makes me feel like I'm having a stroke because it sounds just similar enough to English (with maybe 25% German) that it seems like I should be able to understand what is being said but it is in fact incomprehensible.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Time_pants posted:

This Old House has a dedicated channel on Pluto TV, if that helps.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Taeke posted:

I legit think it's fascinating to see what cultures focus upon when it comes to swears, and it's always slightly difficult to not feel like making it reveal a lot about how a culture view certain topics:

Dutch: Sickness terms (cancer, tyfus, etc.)
US: Sexual/Scatological terms (gently caress, oval office, poo poo, etc.)
French-Canadian: Church terms (tabernacle, christ, ostie, etc.)
China: Sexual / scorn of ancestors terms
etc.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Popoto posted:

I legit think it's fascinating to see what cultures focus upon when it comes to swears, and it's always slightly difficult to not feel like making it reveal a lot about how a culture view certain topics:

Dutch: Sickness terms (cancer, tyfus, etc.)
US: Sexual/Scatological terms (gently caress, oval office, poo poo, etc.)
French-Canadian: Church terms (tabernacle, christ, ostie, etc.)
China: Sexual / scorn of ancestors terms
etc.

In english the really offensive swears that you can't even say casually among alot of people are all related to slurs against racial or sexual minorities, is it like that in other languages?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Time_pants posted:

We basically use up the most extreme language possible until we become inured to it, at which point we ratchet the rhetoric up another notch, and the cycle continues.

Double... No, tripleplus ungood!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

pencilhands posted:

In english the really offensive swears that you can't even say casually among alot of people are all related to slurs against racial or sexual minorities, is it like that in other languages?

In Germany, there have been a few foods with racist names just baked in. That's been going away and my dad is not happy lol

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

This Old House has a dedicated channel on Pluto TV, if that helps.

It does! Thank you so much. We'll give it a whirl!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's the everyone is either Einstein or Hitler dynamic. Gotta punch things up as much as you can. Its the opposite of the British understatement. I don't think someone literally wants to eat donkey poop or stab out their eyes, or it drowns kittens or gave them a hernia. What it means is, "thing bad". Same with most of the death threats I've received over the years. Most of those were "I disagree".

So a thing that has gotten shittier are that there is always a onesupmanship that leads to an offensiveness war that ultimately becomes the baseline going forward.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
One that gets me is woke. You definitely can't call me a "fag" at work, but at my last two jobs coworkers could declare whatever triggered them "woke trash" or call any trans person they see "clown" etc. we're talking on record in writing bigotry, sent to HR and the response is nothing.

So yeah I got to work for better companies.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 6, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You could call anyone the f slur or the r word all you wanted to even like 15 years ago, but now all you've got is "woke". What do you expect people to do, not be filled with hatred for their fellow human beings at all times??

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The most annoying thing on YouTube is:

Person makes comment
Second person slightly corrects comment

Tittle: PERSON TWO DESTROYED BY COMMENTER!!!!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Extra row of tits posted:

The most annoying thing on YouTube is:

Person makes comment
Second person slightly corrects comment

Tittle: PERSON TWO DESTROYED BY COMMENTER!!!!

Title*

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When the people at work weren't allowed to call me a fag anymore they skipped straight to calling me a child molester.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Dip Viscous posted:

When the people at work weren't allowed to call me a fag anymore they skipped straight to calling me a child molester.

Ah yes, this one! I'm a pedophile because:

- I moved your laundry at the laundromat
- I told you to get your kid off my shopping cart
- I led your lost and deliriously upset child to an employee

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

moist banana bread posted:

Ah yes, this one! I'm a pedophile because:

- I moved your laundry at the laundromat
- I told you to get your kid off my shopping cart
- I led your lost and deliriously upset child to an employee

drat what the hell people suck im sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://text.npr.org/1249047583
Possible TikTok ban could be 'an extinction-level event' for the creator economy

quote:

Anxiety is coursing through the creator economy, which includes tens of thousands of people who earn a living by making videos on TikTok, an app that has become a prime place for advertisers to reach younger audiences.
Some creators on TikTok make side money by hawking products on the app's TikTok Shops. Others produce sponsored videos with brands, retailers and marketing agencies — sometimes the corporate sponsorship is barely noticeable, with TikTokkers recording low-budget, direct-to-screen videos that appear, at first glance, to be just like the rest of their output, except it is generating serious money.
"I know people have a negative connotation to influencers, and I totally understand that, but there's some of us kind of fell into this by mistake, and this is our job now," said Lauren-Ashley Beck, 34, who lives in Los Angeles.
Eventually, she found her sweet spot: doing reviews of reality TV shows. It blew up, almost over night, and continued growing. These days she has marketing deals with HBO, Hulu and Amazon.
I've dubbed myself, 'The Queen of Stream,' " she said.
The Queen of Stream cash has helped her get caught up with her student loans and allowed her to buy a Barbie-pink Ford Bronco, a purchase she made before Biden signed the TikTok ban law.

quote:

James Nord, chief executive of the New York-based company Fohr, which does marketing for creators, said the law has sent shockwaves through the world of content creators.
"For many people, this will be a extinction-level event for their careers," he said of the possible ban.
His company alone is on track to pay out $20 million to TikTok creators this year from brand deals he has brokered.
There's something for everyone here, depending on your level of crankiness: people demeaning themselves, doing what amounts to barely-disclosed advertising work to pay off usurious student loans, or people with the fake job of shilling for big companies having this much importance in the lives of young people in the first place.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 7, 2024