Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Also YT keeps recommending me toxic right-wing takes on things I like. I literally can't block them all.

In keeping with the thread, this is intentional. At some point, certain topics pick up associations - for example, sometimes I watch videos about gaming, and youtube seems to have created the link that people who like games also tend to like alt right poo poo. "Hey, now that you're done watching that age of empires video, maybe you'd like something about hitler, eh? ehhh??" No, stop that.

But it's well-known that it's intentional to promote inflammatory content, not just on youtube but all social media. The point isn't to make people happy or to make the world a better place, it's to keep you watching and clicking. The like and dislike buttons do exactly the same thing; they don't care how much you liked a video, they care that you were engaged enough to click a button after you watched something.

And inflammatory videos/posts do that. It keeps people in the rage loop for to the detriment of both the individual and society. This helps literally no one except the shareholders of the company, but it's become the norm on every single relevant media company today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Youtube sucks, reddit sucks, twitter sucks, facebook sucks.

It's rad everything is terrible.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

AARD VARKMAN posted:

--almost every streaming service puts "continue watching" behind the fold (makes you go find it by hitting down)

Why the gently caress is this?

Peacock for example you have to scroll down like 6 rows, wtf

yo suggestion algorithm I literally ONLY watch Law and Order (original), at lunch, to take a nap, on your service - don't loving suggest me poo poo. especially if its like 30 shows about reality housewives or cake baking or some other low effort trash

CJacobs posted:

My grandparents' bank is ending paper billing. For people who are young that's easy to grasp and transition to because we all grew up with that technology. But my grandparents now have to spend hours transferring all of their assets over to a web based system that looks the exact same and runs the exact same except they don't get a paper transaction each month. They're confused, frustrated, and the bank won't help them because there are many cases ongoing for some strange reason.

To "protect the environment"

My favorite "protect the environment and going green!!!!" bullshit is when electronics components don't include a power cord or some bullshit and they put some loving notecard in the box that says "WE ARE GOING GREEN!!!! WE BET YOU ALREADY HAVE A CORD SO NO POWER ADAPTER FOR YOU! but if you do need one call us and we can ship you one"

so 100% the only reason they are doing it is to save money, and then they have to create two shipments which of course is not GOING GREEN but that part doesn't matter because its not really about that in the first place

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 17, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Discord updated their mobile app so uploading photos from your phone is even harder now and it sorts by recent photos you uploaded to discord, not recent photos you took on your phone. Enshittification has made me so cynical that I feel like this boneheaded move has to rn something related to nudging people to Nitro(their paid plan) but I can’t figure out what it is.

But yeah I agree with the theory that a lot of otherwise confusing UI decisions are just somebody trying to justify their job/a promotion.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

My TV just got an update that makes me look at a bunch of apps I don't care about before I can select input.

Smart TVs are an abomination and a perfect example of things made shittier for no good reason. Nearly impossible to buy a non-smart TV now.

Edit: Search engines across the board have gotten much shittier. I'm increasingly getting low-effort sites, blogspam, and marketing, and its only getting worse.

Edit2: Windows desperately wanting to be used on tablets. They're starting to design the entire OS around the idea that *maybe* you're working on a tablet and just making the experience worse overall for the vast majority of their userbase.

ryde fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 17, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

So what do we learn from this? With everything online being slowly degraded.

Will there, or can there, be a regression to less profit-seeking domination of internet functionality? Like eventually the whole internet will be hosed, right, and people won't want to wade into the sewer of AI SEO hell anymore. What comes up instead?

I think the one kind of good thing that still happens online is when there IS a good thing, people can all start using it if they want. Or is that me mistaking "good things on the internet" for "addictive, habit-forming things on the internet"?

Like couldn't some old fuckers or idealistic nerds create some workable alternatives to this stuff that focuses entirely on giving the people what they want, meaning human interaction and human-made content?

There are absolutely people idealistically trying to do that, though with varying luck. Consider Mastodon, which is basically "Twitter, but with the openness and interoperability of email". Does it suck? Absolutely, both because it's run by people and as a side effect of some fundamental choices. Is it being destroyed by a group of MBA C-suiters who want to pump up the value before cashing out? No, there are a couple of different implementations that can talk to each other and they're all being written by small groups of people. Who hate each other, but that's a separate issue.

The problem is that most people want a streamlined "register here and you're ready to find most other people on earth" experience, and you can't blame them for that.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The official term for this kind of thing is crapification
Not sure why it isn't more widely known

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm posting because I'm thinking about all the online ways to EASILY communicate with others in text format are going bye bye and I'm sad about it.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Most weather radars are not nearly as good as they use to be a decade ago. TV stations, weather.com, wundergorund all have those “interactive radars”. Finally found a good radar app, l radar scope. Waiting for that to go down hill though.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

aniviron posted:

New exciting change as of tonight which is tiny but annoying, opening videos from youtube into a new tab with middle click no longer works when clicking on the video thumbnail, it now requires you to do it on the title. It's probably a firefox exclusive issue, because google goes out of their way to sabotage firefox, a 70 market share is not enough; it's also much higher than 70 if you consider that most remaining alternatives are chromium-derived.

I fuckin thought I was going crazy

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 17, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Amazon shipping has become sub-poo poo-tier for us in the last year. Stuff just goes missing now, I ordered a replacement vacuum cleaner hose and they sent some stevia based chocolate sauce instead (??). They always want me to run the return out to them and these days I refuse - you hosed it up, you come pick your poo poo up. 99% of the time they just tell me to keep it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I installed an extension that blocks Youtube recommendations and it's pretty close to one of the best things I've ever done.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Newpipe is the same thing, minus that pesky fee

I use newpipe too but keep in mind it doesn't use any google apis which means each time you open the app its basically like opening youtube in a private window. it doesn't remember what you like which is fine for me because i watch less than 10 minutes of youtube per month on my phone.

but if you do watch a ton of poo poo on your phone and you would like it to remember your interests without actually having to log in i think revanced is the way to go

also if you have a fire stick download the "downloader" app straight from the app store. then check out stn beta or skytube. no adds on your fire tv capable big screen.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 17, 2023

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Enshittification Megathread has a pretty good ring to it imo

I need to get a PC to make work related stuff easier and I’m dreading having to use windows again. My old laptop had 10 on it and that OS hijacked my system 24/7 to do who the gently caress knows what in the background. I was always finding new garbage installed I never asked for and seeing candy crush ads in the start menu.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's a small thing, but why is the actual video element in a twitter post 41 nested divs deep?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
On amazon, if you search for a cd, it brings you to the mp3 store/streaming service. It's hard to even find cds on there now. Click on the artist name? More streaming poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Waltzing Along posted:

On amazon, if you search for a cd, it brings you to the mp3 store/streaming service. It's hard to even find cds on there now. Click on the artist name? More streaming poo poo.

What few cds I have left I cherish

You'll take my Acid Bath cds from my cold dead hands

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Phones lost replaceable batteries, the audio jack, and sdxc expansion

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

New Laptops are increasingly using USB C ports that wear out after a year instead of USB A

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
AirPods use to be the perfect shape for my ears. Now the new design is bigger and fall out easier. WHY!?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I did a factory reset on my phone and now exiting apps to the home screen is unreliable

Benoit
Jun 26, 2006

FLY NAVY

20 Blunts posted:

i swear to god Google Maps gets a little more awkward to use every month

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Arrhythmia posted:

I installed an extension that blocks Youtube recommendations and it's pretty close to one of the best things I've ever done.

You know, I have to do some contrary posting to say that I actually enjoy recommendations and how spot on they are for me. The algo has a pretty good sense of when I’m getting into something deep and when I’m open to seeing things from other channels, then sometimes it goes “do you wanna know why power lines have those funny ceramic shapes near the wires? Of course you do” and then I watch the video and learn something new.

Once in a blue moon the algo suggests something I extremely hate but more often than not I get a nice stream of educational and interesting videos relevant to my interests. Of course, I don’t expect this golden age period in algo reccs to last forever for me, I’m sure google will eventually find a way to piss me off and into canceling a 3 year long streak of YouTube Premium, but luckily it isn’t at that point yet (for me).

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

every new led bulb I buy lasts shorter than the previous one.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Internet browser history became garbage when chrome took over.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

ikanreed posted:

The whole loving planet is like a degree hotter than when I was born.

Man, if only we had some sort of warning that this was going to happen....

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

So what do we learn from this? With everything online being slowly degraded.

Will there, or can there, be a regression to less profit-seeking domination of internet functionality? Like eventually the whole internet will be hosed, right, and people won't want to wade into the sewer of AI SEO hell anymore. What comes up instead?

I think the one kind of good thing that still happens online is when there IS a good thing, people can all start using it if they want. Or is that me mistaking "good things on the internet" for "addictive, habit-forming things on the internet"?

Like couldn't some old fuckers or idealistic nerds create some workable alternatives to this stuff that focuses entirely on giving the people what they want, meaning human interaction and human-made content?

I don't think the internet will ever become something where you have to pay for everything. We're too used to being able to find free stuff to do what we need and want, and that will always be there.

And I'd be surprised if in 20 years there's much human-involved content at all. Moore's Law is still clinging on by a thread, and that means we're going to see poo poo we couldn't believe by 2043.

I mean, if you told your 2000 self that legit AI existed in 2023 that can easily fool people and that yes, self-driving cars would exist, not to mention phones that are more powerful that $10,000 desktops from that time, you'd laugh.

It's like that Patton Oswalt joke about him going back and meeting his 1990s self with a cassette tape and pointing out that in 2010 we'd have a thing half that size that would be able to hold every song ever created and have room for more.

This poo poo is nuts and it's only getting crazier.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The nba 2k games

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

acejackson42 posted:

not to mention phones that are more powerful that $10,000 desktops from that time, you'd laugh.

Yeah it’s supremely bonkers to me how much things a phone can do that you’d normally need a computer for, and the bottlenecks against usability/comfort come from screen size and software, not really hardware horsepower. Equally nuts is that the cost is so low that homeless people are by and large smartphone connected too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lmao

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

CJacobs posted:

The editing program I use to make my let's plays VEGAS got bought from Sony, The Sony, by a company called MAGIX and they immediately ruined its performance and functionality. You pretty much can't use it without a crash and there are dozens of videos on YouTube from internet faith healers claiming they know how to make it stable.

jump ship from this poo poo software already and try davinki resolve

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Make sure to do an internet search with your shampoo and the word lawsuit. Quite a few make your hair fall out

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Wikipedia's new design. Yet another web designer thought that my desktop site needs to fit on a phone for 'clarity' and 'readability' and forgot that I don't want scroll every 3rd sentence.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I'm shopping for a specific kind of used car, which even a few years ago was relatively straightforward, but recently has become excruciating. Regular Google sends me down a hell of adwords and bullshit listings from years ago. Car specific sites like Autotrader are saturated with "sponsored listings" which have literally nothing to do with what I'm looking for. Free sites like Craigslist are out-and-out-liars - the most recent annoyance is scummy used car lots listing good vehicles for good prices, and in the fine print saying that price is the down payment. Who the gently caress are they fooling with an 8k down payment on a 22k vehicle? Simple sorts by things like "less than 100k miles" and "less than 20k dollars" are worthless, because (again) scummy used car lots list the cars by the payment price and not the sale price. Some real shitheels list the vehicle with the mileage off the new engine. Then there's the general internet fuckery of listing cars on the internet that they dont have possession of, photoshopped pics on listings, trying to pass a salvage title off as clean, etc.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
ICE COLD AC

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Wikipedia's new design. Yet another web designer thought that my desktop site needs to fit on a phone for 'clarity' and 'readability' and forgot that I don't want scroll every 3rd sentence.

There are really smart ways for web designers to design for both but it takes more effort so forget it

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

aniviron posted:

New exciting change as of tonight which is tiny but annoying, opening videos from youtube into a new tab with middle click no longer works when clicking on the video thumbnail, it now requires you to do it on the title. It's probably a firefox exclusive issue, because google goes out of their way to sabotage firefox, a 70 market share is not enough; it's also much higher than 70 if you consider that most remaining alternatives are chromium-derived.

Bolded the Firefox part cause as a Chrome user, it's not exclusive to loving over Firefox :(

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KariOhki posted:

Bolded the Firefox part cause as a Chrome user, it's not exclusive to loving over Firefox :(

In that case, lol, lmao, why did they break their own website like this.