Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Outrail posted:

Traffic fines need to scale with income. I think Sweden does that and they seem to be doing pretty good.

That’s :finland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Why is it shittier that Londoners need ID to vote?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wash bucket posted:

I don't know about London specifically, but in the US voter ID laws are a voter suppression tactic. For example, Alabama enacted voter ID laws then closed all the department of motor vehicle offices in counties with majority black populations.

I think we should be careful about assuming that what is true in one country is also true in another.

My country has required ID to vote for a few decades. It was to prevent voter fraud, where people were turning up to vote only to discover someone already voted in their name, so they were denied. It’s not a problem here, really, because 99.9% of people already have a valid ID, since you can’t do anything without one.

Edit: So would a British person be able to survive day to day without photo ID? I mean in Sweden I can’t even see a doctor, leave a blood sample etc without one. AFAIK the only people without a photo ID are newly arrived immigrants who are waiting for the ~2 weeks delivery period for their government ID.

It’s good that they’re posting reminders, so people can remember to renew if their card is expired, isn’t it?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cerekk posted:

Don't worry, I vote too because we're in a couple of blue states that make no attempt to prevent things like multiple voting.

See, this is actually impossible in Sweden. Probably in the UK, too? Surely each person is listed at only one polling station, and gets crossed off as they vote?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cerekk posted:

It is probably true that at any one of the 166,990 individual precincts, any one individual is not listed more than once. And it is probably also true that in some of the 50 states, there is sufficient coordination to ensure an individual votes in only one precinct in that state.

No, see, we're discussing the UK here. Allegedly it has gotten shittier for no good reason.

IDGAF about how the U.S. voting system is broken on account of having no national record of people; it's well-trodden ground.

My point is in the UK, like in Sweden, it should be impossible to vote twice because of how the polling works. (Also because the state knows who lives in it, unlike any U.S. government.)

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/resources/welcome-your-vote/how-vote

quote:

Before the day of the election, known as polling day, you’ll receive a card, called a poll card.

Everyone who’s registered to vote in your household will receive their own poll card.

Your poll card tells you where and when you can vote. Unless you’ve arranged otherwise, it will be assumed that you want to vote in person at the polling station.
[...]
You can’t choose which polling station to vote at – you have to go to your assigned polling station.
[...]
When you enter, tell them your name and address so they can check that you’re on the electoral register. You can show them your poll card if it helps, but you don’t need your poll card to vote. They will cross your name off their list so they know who has voted, and hand you your ballot paper.

Since any voter has to be registered in advance, vote at their place of residency, etc, the requirement for an ID seems like a smaller overreach than it would in any U.S. jurisdiction.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 14, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Duck and Cover posted:

Gee can't imagine a world where people don't have consistent signatures. Nope. Sure can't. We all work at real jobs and sign things constantly so our signatures is just are just like a thumb print.

OK so the signature thing is silly, and the thing about how "provisional ballots may or may not be counted per however the state or county process it" is the type of thing that leads to lawsuits winning someone a presidential election (which seems more difficult to handle than simply discarding the invalid ballot, by whatever heuristic you prefer), but what really is broken about this is how there is no advance guarantee that, just because a person is registered to vote in a state, that person physically exists and is legally entitled to vote.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mobby_6kl posted:

Use Ublock and sponsorskip

You may have missed the part where they have to use the app and/or the TV app.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And Samsung's customer service sucks poo poo and their website is a loving abomination due to all the products they sell. Good luck finding firmware updates for anything over 12 months old.

Yes, TVs certainly got shittier for no good reason. I run the last model Sony I could find that had no smart features -- unfortunately it's not a very high quality LCD, and it's on the small side too. I dread the day I will have to go hunting for one of those specialty brands that still make premium-priced TVs without smart features. Reading about the lenghts consumer brands go to to circumvent adblocking is kind of scary. Even a PiHole won't work if the TV connects over loving 5G to serve you ads off its own internet connection!

Cerekk posted:

I just watch an ad the three times per year that I need information that is best conveyed in video format

Things that got shittier for no good reason: You can no longer find technology reviews in writing, because everyone for no reason started posting video reviews instead. Probably because it's harder to block their ads that way? I'm sure there's some way in which there's money in it, despite production costs being higher than for written text.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You have to power up the receiver, TV, and cable box in the correct sequence.

There's probably a setting somewhere in the receiver and/or TV to enably HDMI CEC. With that on, all three devices should power up as soon as you start one of them. It is sometimes re-labled, like it's AnyNet+ on Samsung, BRAVIA LINK on Sony, etc.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Relyssa posted:

is there a good alternative to it for buying random poo poo yet

People buying random poo poo is what put us in this situation to begin with.

I'm so grateful Amazon are still barely breaking top 5 online retailers in my country. They don't have the cheapest prices on everything, and they are probably barred by EU competition rules from bundling free Prime shipping with subscriptions to their videos, so they might not actually be able to kill all retail here. Yay, I guess.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 16, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

McSpanky posted:

No way, burning it down just makes their job easier for them. If you get eminent domain'd, poison the gently caress out of it. Find the vilest, most mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic chemicals you can get your hands on and soak the place to the floorboards. All the soil, too. Turn it into a loving superfund site.

The best part is you get free room and board for 10-20 years, paid for by the state!

Sadly you won't be able to leave and go to work, or see your friends, or play your videogames.

(At least in most jurisdictions I've heard of, what you're describing is a criminal offence.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I can only speak for kids over one year of age, but IME a bare minimum just to ensure the safety and health of a group of toddlers would be something like 4 staff for 18-20 kids. You can't make it work with 3 or less (and a smaller group of kids), because staff have to be able to take breaks and change diapers. Fewer kids lets you do more organized activities.

If you left more than two kids alone for 30 minutes at a time, you would have your first kid in hospital within the week. If more than 5 kids, within 30 minutes.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've given thought to what I want to see in a modern car and it's mostly things I don't want to see and halfway through I realized this is never gonna happen, but here it is anyway:

-LED headlights that are simple in shape and design with cheap and easily replaceable components.

-Physical dials, physical knobs

-No infotainment system.

-Din slot for stereo

-Overall design should be rugged and simple, meant to be easy to work on and service at home.

-No absurdly large wheels with low profiles, 16" wheels is fine with a decently large tyre.

-Keep the canbus system simple and engine focused.

-No automatic helpers, no cameras and poo poo, just design the car so you have good visibility. The sedan shape is actually pretty good for this.

Basically I want an old car, but with better safety.

So the trend has been for several years to shrink the rear window, because you can get better fuel economy with a more sloped rear profile.

The new thing is to remove it entirely. So you want to avoid reversing over your kids? Better hope the rear camera doesn’t get dirty!

https://www.engadget.com/polestar-4-first-look-when-no-rear-window-makes-for-a-better-car-150052884.html

(They also break almost all of the other rules you put up so this car is clearly not for you. Or me.)

Also,

“[url posted:

https://www.habbaspilaw.com/children-driveway-backover-accidents/“[/url]]
every week approximately fifty children are backed over by cars in the US because a driver could not see them. Of these fifty, at least two prove to be fatal. The reason for this is that more than 60% of backover crashes involve a large vehicle, such as a pickup truck, van or SUV.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would actually like to know what of these are impossible due to safety regs?

More specifically, rear view cameras are mandatory in the US on new cars. Mostly to mitigate the sad statistic on murdered babies I quoted above.

The one assistance system I’ve understood is actually improving safety is the blind spot warning light. Cars with those actually get into fewer accidents. Which is not true with adaptive cruise control or other drive-assist tech.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It means you have a camera in the back and a screen up front, both which break easily and are expensive to replace. The screen up front means you probably now have touch crap everywhere, and with that comes another can of worms.

Basically, a rear camera means your entire front console is expensive, fragile, and lovely.

That's all true; on the other hand, trying to back up my dad's pre-backup-cameras SUV is scary as hell. It has large enough windows, but you can't see anything below hip height. I have to take care and walk a circle around the car to look for low objects before I start.

Edit:

carrionman posted:

Rear cameras and dirt roads are a great combination.

Volkswagen has a great solution where their emblem on the trunk is a tiny hatch that opens when you put the car in reverse, and covers the camera. But I don't think they use that anymore, haven't seen i lately. At least some Golf models had it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 26, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not a bad practice for operating a vehicle tbh

I mean, you don't actually have to do that if you're in a normal parking lot, you pay attention to your surroundings and your car either has decent visibility (c.f. a Golf or Polo), or your backup camera is working.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yeah I think in aggregate, the poster is wrong. A modern car with all the safety assist features is actually safer. However, a few specific features are very much in doubt.

The very clearly useful:
Automatic emergency braking
Blind spot detection
Cross-traffic alert
Forward and rear collision warning
Lane departure warning
Driver attention warning

The perhaps-useful-but-I'm-not-convinced:

Adaptive cruise control
Lane-keeping assist
Pedestrian detection system
Road sign recognition
Collision warning

You'll notice the latter category contains the features that permit a driver to pay less attention, or take their eyes off the road. The jury is very much out on whether these actually reduce accidents or deaths, and some studies indicate that at least adaptive cruise control will encourage bad driving practices: https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/542793-study-links-adaptive-cruise-control-to-increased-crash-risk/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's the name. "Podcast" is outdated and misleading, and the fact that it even has a special term in the first place implies it must be something more specific than it actually is.

And when that term is a portmanteau of two misleadingly specific technologies as iPods and broadcasting, people naturally assume it MUST be some tedious nerd bullshit, because no reasonable person would willingly adopt a made-up esoteric and oblique new gag term like "podcast" (that focuses on the drat equipment) if they could've instead simply used existing familiar words like "audio show" that accurately describe its content and purpose (entertainment!).

Online video doesn't have these difficulties because nobody decided to make a jokey Frankenstein combo-term into the official new bullshit name for this concept that already exists like "telestream," or "phonecast," or "instagram," it's still just video.

Like “reels”, you mean? Facebook “stories”? Or “tiktoks”? Sure, none of those are bullshit.

At least YouTube Shorts is correct and descriptive but it certainly assumes you know what YouTube usually is for.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lately I've noticed youtube automatically putting me on garbage-tier video quality, both in browser across multiple computers and on my phone. For the first few minutes of a video it'll be 1080, but then it'll switch to like 480 or some poo poo. It defaults to Auto quality, which used to just be the highest quality that your internet speed would allow for seamless video - so occasionally you'd get quality dips if your internet was choppy or something, but then it would improve the quality as necessary. I assume most laymen don't give a poo poo about image quality and thus YouTube figures they'll just save money by auto playing poo poo quality. It's extra annoying on mobile cus you need to take an extra step to actually choose the specific video quality you want. I even set my app preference to default to "higher picture quality" and it changed nothing about the behavior, it just now says "Higher Picture Quality (480p)" lmao

YouTube Warns Ad Blockers Will Affect The Video Quality For Free Users

https://www.news18.com/tech/youtube-warns-ad-blockers-will-affect-the-video-quality-for-free-users-8672027.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
On the topic of enshittification of the internet:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/prime-video-subs-will-soon-see-ads-for-amazon-products-when-they-hit-pause/

Prime Video subs will soon see ads for Amazon products when they hit pause

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dirac Fourier posted:

12-packs of coke are now $10 at my local grocery store. I'm not buying them anymore. Not worth it.

Great! Good for you.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Don't AI things still run off of GPU? So basically they're saying everyone's going to need 2 video cards?

Seriousposting in the whine thread: Most PCs today not have a neural processing unit (NPU). I think you can make a lot of use of a GPU when training models for AI (ie machine learning), but for very fast inference (ie when evaluating inputs using a model, to make predictions/classifications/whatever) you normally need a specific NPU. (I could be wrong on this part.)

Some phones and tablets do have them, notably Apple were the first, and I'm pretty sure their M-series notebook CPUs have NPUs too. Google put their Tensor chips in some Pixel phones, and I think Intel and AMD have both added an NPU function in their last-gen CPUs.

Right now, I believe most ML inference happens in the cloud, like when you use Midjourney or GPT. Those use huge models that don't make sense to put locally on your PC. In the future, though, these vendors predict you'll have tons of small AI models deployed locally for apps to use, like Apple's camera app magic that compensates for your shaky hands.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 15, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

carrionman posted:

Our printer system used to be simple: be logged into a work computer, hit print, select which printer and out it came.

This was too easy, so they added a system called followme, so now you hit print, go to a printer, scan a card and it prints. We're a big campus so if I'm printing something that needs colour or binding (no colour printers allowed in the offices, just in printery) it's a 5 min walk. Previously this meant that the printing would have a 5 min head start, but obviously not now.

We did that change at my office ... say 10 years ago now? It sucked for me, who would usually print 4-5 items per year. Every time my passcard was renewed, or seemingly at random, too, I would have to enroll once again. That was a 10-minute procedure that was unnecessarily complicated and only documented on a very obscure Sharepoint page that was un-findable using the internal search engine. So the solution was to ask around for the link to the enrollment process, or call support.

But you know what? Before this, when you could print at will to any printer in the whole campus (in fact, even to other branch offices), I used to find huge amounts of random printouts in the printers, that would just be dumped in the bin at the end of the day. After this, of course not a sheet of paper was wasted. You also no longer needed to remember the name of the target printer. Maybe it was worth it? I guesstimate a few thousand man-hours wasted in order to save tens or hundreds of thousands of sheets of A4 paper. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pencilhands posted:

I will never have sex again

… for no good reason?