Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

bus hustler posted:

There are still stores like that, Ollie's and in the northeast Ocean State Job Lot still get like... bins of random poo poo that they only have once.

DrBouvenstein posted:

However, "two towns over" from me is a store called Vermont Discount Store. It's the kind of name Ron Swanson would give a store.

But it's a standard liquidation outlet, so no promises on anything they might have in stock at a given time. Sometimes it's slightly damaged goods, other times it's slightly "expired" food or medicine*, and maybe even seasonally packaged items (like cereal with Christmas stuff on it) once that season is over.

Pour one out for Building 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

For that matter, digital antennas. Oh, yeah, the picture on over-the-air TV is fantastic now -- WHEN you can get a signal. But it's like satellite: if your antenna isn't positioned JUST RIGHT, or it's rainy, or cloudy, or windy, or overcast, or dark, or sunny, or you're standing in the wrong spot, just forget it. You might have gotten fewer channels and a shittier picture with a pair of rabbit ears, but at least you could actually get a broadcast.

:arghfist: :corsair:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

redshirt posted:

Speaking of subscription services that shouldn't be, there's a company called "Leaf Guard" and they install gutters with a cover to keep out debris.

Up front cost of installation, then a monthly fee after that. A subscription. To rain gutters.

:psyduck:

So what happens if your neighbor cancels their subscription? Does Leaf Guard come out and take the gutters off the house?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

DemihumanResources posted:

Also, for as lovely as Amazon is, I went to my local Michaels to get some art supplies thinking "hey I'll do my OWN same day :smugdog:" and literally everything like pencils and sketch pads were more expensive. Same brand. Same item number. All $2 more. IF THEY EVEN loving HAD THEM IN STOCK. I left mondo depressed

Speaking of things that got shittier ... AC Moore was always the better crafting store. Pissed me off a right much when Michael's bought them and then shut them all down. I used to hit AC Moore for stuff all the time. I don't go to Michael's at all.

gently caress Hobby Lobby too, but that goes without saying.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is literally the first time in my four decades of life that I've seen someone espouse a preference for white bg/black text. I am legit shocked and sincerely curious.

For people with certain types of vision problems, dark mode can actually make things more difficult to read.