Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been told they don't make 2x4's like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Believe it or not, HP Printers used to be rock solid and a great choice, though more expensive. That ended quite some time ago though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dunkin Donuts got too big. They forgot their roots.

Like, Dunking a Donut. They featured a donut with a donut handle, for dunking.
It was great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, how is"ai DJ" different from the old radio?

Do they wear headphones on the side as they turn records?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Plan R posted:

I've still got an extensive collection of CDs!

I still buy CD's!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Doctors visits. Doc used to ride out to the farm and visit for a spell.

Now its wham bam in and out 45 minutes late.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Grocery stores. Publix is still good, though

The Hannafords up here in Maine just keep getting better IMO.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah literally all the local alternative rock radio stations were bought out - one by ClearChannel, one being sold to another mid-sized conglomerate and the other basically buying itself into a tiny radio commune thing. They all suck now - the tiny radio commune doesnt have any money for licensing, so they play weird 80s b-sides all the time and say its part of their heritage or whatever, the mid sized radio station has very generic DJs who obviously are not live/from here and they play a lot of pop, and the big ClearChannel station stopped playing pink floyd.

I was a college DJ for 3 years and I took it very seriously. This was so long ago though I spun actual records.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pacerwpg posted:

The quality of spray paint for huffing has gone way downhill.

Mediocre!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I jknow, everyone proclaims The Mall dead, but not The Maine Mall. Other than the gaping hole which used to be Sears, the Maine Mall is doing great. Bustling foot traffic, bountiful kiosks, a robust food court. Things look good at The Maine Mall.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I miss Sears.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am not important but also very important.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I have a weird love of Ocean State Job Lot.

I also have no idea what that name means. I know Ocean State is Rhode Island, so I assume the store started there...but the gently caress is a "Job Lot"?

But yeah, there's none near me, but typically once or twice a year I'll end up on a vacation/road trip through parts of New England that does have one.

However, "two towns over" from me is a store called Vermont Discount Store. It's the kind of name Ron Swanson would give a store.

But it's a standard liquidation outlet, so no promises on anything they might have in stock at a given time. Sometimes it's slightly damaged goods, other times it's slightly "expired" food or medicine*, and maybe even seasonally packaged items (like cereal with Christmas stuff on it) once that season is over.

*There's also LOTS of little signs/notes throughout the store letting you know expiration dates are mostly meaningless, so don't worry about them. Which is mostly true for a lot of dry and canned goods.

There's an Ocean State Job Lot in Oxford ME!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Sneezes in 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

The weather. Seems like everything is either on fire or under water or blowing away. Stop loving with the controls already.

Worf hosed up Risa's weather because he didn't like fun. And paid no consequence!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL the Russian military

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You'd think people would take the hint and continue masking while sick, but then you'd be forgetting how stupid people can get these days

I'm never gonna take the mask off in public.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

same here.

trust me it loving sucks when it's over 110* and you can feel the sweat dripping from your upper lip, but is ANYONE reporting Covid anymore? like we have "flu season," is everything just gonna be Covid season forever now?

I don't care if its Covid or Flu season, I put on the mask like Bane.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hey, shut your pie about lampreys, they are valuable scavengers and don't even have jaws, and aren't all greasy like the hagfish!

Shittier Thing: no rain, no monsoon at all. I remember as a kid years ago, the summer half bright as gently caress and then the sky would blacken, and it would rain for hours. But thanks to climate change, we're on a month of temps well over average and no rain at all. loving cactus are dropping dead.

I'm sorry about your lack of rain. Here we've gotten so much extra rain everything is mud and wet and I've never seen it so wet in over 10 years. Wish I could send you some extra wetness.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

anonumos posted:

Fireflies, too, though not migrating. I remember fireflies showing up in May and sticking around until August, or something like that. Basically all summer. Now we're lucky to see them for a few nights in June.

Now that you mention it, my lightning bugs have all been gone since June.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

gently caress it, start handing out more fiddles while it all burns

*Tunes fiddle

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Slotducks posted:

they can't even escape it

It's ironic. They can enable others to WFH, but not themselves.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same. Wettest July ever here. The flooding impact was the greatest since 1927, and the only reason that impact was so great THEN was because the complete lack of any sort of modern flood control/infrastructure.
https://www.weather.gov/btv/The-Gre...ne%20in%202011.

I've been digging it because for the last few years we've been in drought conditions and I've been worried about my well going dry, so all this water is like a huge deposit on the future of my well.

Sorry if you got flooded.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Who cares about next quarter? That's like a million years from now!

This guy next quarters

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yes I watch basketball without sound

But the squeak noises?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI sucks now that it's discovered shitposting.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's these hearing aids that are "powered by Bose" and you use an app to adjust them, and it's a monthly subscription. Kinda blew my mind that hearing aids have become a subscription service. What's next? Pay weekly for glasses?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Dentists here in Norway are so loving insanely expensive, it's way cheaper to just fly to Poland to get your chompers fixed. For some reason dentistry isn't classed as healthcare here so dentists just go hog wild and will bankrupt you. A lil taste of America

It's so crazy dental care is often not considered medical care. People die from tooth infections. It's not all teeth whitening strips.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You should be able to turn that off:

Right click the Taskbar, select News and Interests, then Turn Off:

I am 99% sure you don't need any sort of local admin permissions. Even the lowest-level user should be able to turn that off on their profile.

Yeah I turn that off immediately.

Also speaking of MS stuff, I wouldn't have a theoretical problem using Edge, but it defaults to their news website and the last thing I want on a work computer is Trump news or whatever headlines there are. And then it's so needy and desperate if you download Chrome. Like I never felt a piece of software had confidence issues, but there's Edge begging me not to leave.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Buffy was a very fun show where quippy worked because the cast were so great

Ironman 1 and avengers 1 were good because RDJ could quip

everything since has been a nightmare

I agree with this take.

Avengers works. It's all Whedon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can you use a "smart tv" without internet? Never connect it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amazon Prime Video used to have a category called "Free to Me" and it was all the stuff included with Prime membership. Very useful when trying to navigate their trash interface.

They got rid of it, now you have to wade through all the content, a good deal of it for purchase.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Between food being far too expensive and entertainment not only going downhill, but basically stopping now with the actors strike, it feels like a bad omen. When you cant provide the people with bread and circuses they start getting pissed.

Yeah but we got legal weed now (your mileage may vary).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

Perhaps one exception: Comet TV. I get it over the air, and its daily lineup is Stargate/Grimm/Buffy/X-Files. They have frequent Godzilla marathons on the weekend. Outer Limits, Tales from The Crypt, etc. It's great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's too many streaming services! Please eliminate/combine 5 of them.

- Old Man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Has anyone mentioned Windows 11 yet?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

I'm about to get a new pc and it's probably gonna come preloaded with it, what horrors am I in for as someone who begrudgingly upgraded to 10 from 7 when support ended.

DOOM!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

A bunch of restaurants in my lovely town have installing "pourmybeer" systems. https://pourmybeer.com

Basically, you give the waitstaff your debit card, and for the pleasure you get your own temporary access card and get to pour your own drinks from a tap wall and pay by the ounce.

Its incredible horseshit.

Can you stand there for a bit and take a few quality control drinks before topping off and walking away?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"That record sound before the first song started...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Humanity has given up on printers, and printers have given up on humanity

Soon, I fear, it will come to WAR!