Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I could fill this thread will the rapidly decaying state of Microsoft Software. Windows, Outlook, loving Excel are all just circling the drain. It makes me laugh that Dynamics is also just seeing stupid changes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prettz posted:

functional GUIs are literally lost technology at this point

There are parts of SA that are undeniably dated or whatever, but might actually be the most functional and snappiest website I visit. It's utterly insane how pathetic the business of web design (and app design) is.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 15, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

I would too.

I find it especially interesting because I work in tool development, but it's all proprietary - we get to build complex poo poo for complex use cases and the UI fits that for professional users. The UI is very expressive and modular - something I would value in any piece of software. I'm curious how things that are big and public facing company with millions of users. How does something like new reddit or new facebook happen, because they both seem like garbage piles. I'm sure there is a story here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kind of adjacent to 'Every software product is going into the gutter' -- There was a thread on Yospos about a search engine you pay for called Kagi. "lol search you pay for wtf?" Yeah, so 3 weeks after laughing that concept out of the room and toying around with it for kicks... I now pay for search.

My hope is that we will eventually at least optionally graduate out 'you are the product'-kind of services as the only option and more toward, 'actual premium services you pay for' as an option. It blew my mind at both how competent Kagi is, and how incompetent Google/Bing/etc are, but this I suppose is the difference between a product that is focused on trying to sell itself to you VS a product that is focused on selling you to advertisers.

I've been tempted to make a Kagi thread on SC/SH just because of how much I despise modern Google.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 16, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wikipedia's new design. Yet another web designer thought that my desktop site needs to fit on a phone for 'clarity' and 'readability' and forgot that I don't want scroll every 3rd sentence.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

the internet getting worse is a pincer maneuver between all the big websites constantly increasing the ratio of ads to content and ad blockers getting worse and worse.

This is partially to blame, but I'm going to say the majority blame goes straight to Javascript.

Actually, I'm going to get on my soapbox for a moment here and say that Javascript in and of itself is not the problem, but that web development has drifted more and more away from, 'software engineering' to 'API technician'. People are not hiring 'Javascript devs', they are hiring 'React Devs' or 'Angular Devs'. It is my experience that the number of web developers that actually can do something useful outside of their chosen stack of libraries is small. A combination of this + 'how many ads can we put on this screen' + 'We are only building a mobile UI' has made the web such dogshit.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Deleting my facebook account has made me measurably happier.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, AdBlock still works on YouTube, use it ffs if you value your time

Sadly it doesn't work on horrible in-video "promotions"

There is actually an addon for this as well: SponsorBlock.

It's just an addon where users can flag chunks of a video as 'sponsored' and it automatically skips them. As such, the usefulness of it will scale with the popularity of a channel, but it catches quite a lot in my experience.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if Amazon would lift a finger to try and stop the endless drop-shipping scam-adjacent crap from existing and actually clean up their storefront, I'd probably use it again. The irony here is that Retail Stores went from 'Window Shopping Units' where I purchased poo poo on Amazon, and now Amazon is my Window Shopping Search Engine where I purchase stuff direct from retailers.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Github is a Microsoft product and therefore is doomed to permanent regression.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

If I ever become the head of an international tech congolmerate I swear on Christ's mother I will never change the UI once.

you can, but please understand the difference between, 'we've improved workflow and added features' and 'what if we design this exclusively for a touch on a 3" phone...?"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

is there really no replacement search engine for google yet?

I have to pimp Kagi every time I can, so... Kagi. You pay for the service of search, but it actually has features and I'm way happier with Kagi then I have been with Google for a very long time. If you have some disposable income, you could do a lot worse with it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

The way adobe went from a program you could pirate buy to an insanely granular set of rented micro services is such a breathtaking exercise in corporate fuckery

It is wild how much I have hard-pivoted away from everything Adobe over the last decade. It is obnoxious that my tools are split in between 3 companies now, but keeping out of the Adobe Ecosystem has been a huge boon in costs and general export-ability.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

Most people both don't use and actively hate keyboard + mouse setups. It is inevitable that any and every UI will continue to trend to tablet-friendly streamlines.

I think this is true of mass-marketed stuff, but I think any 'serious' software will continue to be actual software.

The interesting bit will be how the gap between 'mass marketed software' and 'production software' will widen more and more. Computer literacy has declined a ton since what I would perceive as it's peak around the mid 00s, but complex software is very powerful. To me, that suggests that computer touching will maybe become a more in-demand skill as time goes on?

dunno. It's very weird. But yeah, consumer software is loving tragic.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would GLADLY pay $10 a month for a music streaming service... that doesn't suck. But that doesn't exist - no one is even close.

So I've come full circle and am back to managing a local library of music again. Honestly, I kind of forget how fun it is to piece together playlists and junk when you are bored, but the acquisition process is kind of poo poo (by design).

Point is, Spotify is dogshit. Youtube Music is somehow worse. Amazon and Apple are both pretty bad.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bandcamp is pretty decent, but it's decency is on borrowed time. Enjoy it while you can.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We are actually buying vinyl now. I didn't really think that this would be the physical medium that stands the test of time, but a lot of folks are putting out more vinyl records then CDs it seems - at least in the spaces we buy stuff.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

MS Teams is such a staggering piece of poo poo that is being pushed through solely because of Microsofts complete monopoly on the office workspace. Its good for MS right now, but its going to have the opposite effect because everyone hates teams SO MUCH

The problem here is that no one is actually making office communication software worth a drat. The 'best' version of this is arguably Slack, which *just* figured out that maybe more then one window is a pretty cool feature. It's still dogshit.

Every electron app without exception is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I used to tutor and teach Adobe products and hosed right out of that the second I couldn't buy a license. I took the hit and learned Affinity products instead. For the cost of 2 months of Adobe Creative Suite™, I have a perpetual license to an equivalent to Illustrator and Photoshop forever.

And also, they don't steal my work to train some legally nebulous AI.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I lived in Santa Monica, there were a few restaurants that were starting to get on the, 'you have to download our app - no exceptions' stupidity. We just never ate there. My health insurance offers an app and I don't use that poo poo. You think I'm downloading an app for your restaurant in a city that is basically a sea of restaurants? Yeah, no thanks. What was truly bizarre is that there was a restaurant that required your phone number, even if they were going to seat you immediately. What they were doing with that is beyond me, but that was also a hard no.

If your business requires me to interact with your lovely app, I'm not giving you business.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TVGM posted:

Googlers are proposing / testing web client DRM to seemingly stop ad blockers for good (under the guise of user privacy): https://github.com/RupertBenWiser/Web-Environment-Integrity/blob/main/explainer.md

...And the internet continues to just get worse.

Can we get a do over on this whole Internet thing? It has kinda sucked the last 10 years or so.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

I suspect this is more about preventing click-fraud than adblocking. Clickfraud is the real problem as it literally drains money from advertisers and perpetuates the already common perception that google ads are a waste of money.

It’s still dumb as it’s going to run into the same issues every other form of DRM does, it eventually gets bypassed and/or keys get leaked and it’s all over.

I’ve worked on websites with a million+ users and I would love nothing more than a switch to flip that makes bots a thing of the past but this won’t be it.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt (which they don't deserve for a second), this is creating a massive pile of problems for the user so Google's crappy ad business doesn't have to solve the problem on their end.

Coming back to reality: There is absolutely no way the intention isn't to kill ad blockers (while also preventing Clickfraud...for a couple months until someone figures out how to bypass that thing).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

I was reading this and I thought you were just being colorful in the first half, but no...this thing actually exists.

I have no idea who the gently caress would either make this, or buy it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's me.

I was the one who was really mad when Albertsons got rid of the self checkout

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
QR Codes suck. Always. Even if it's a perfectly formatted menu (it never is), and laid out well (it never is), having an effective viewport of a loving phone as opposed to a menu that's printed on 14" x 11" paper is just the worst. I hate your PDF menu.

The one thing that kinda makes PDF menus better would be search, except you are searching on a loving phone and the UX is such utter trash that I would just rather not. It also never works because the PDF menus people put up are just PDF pages that are badly compressed JPGs of their menu.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

1024, always and forever

:colbert:

This, unless you are in the business of actually selling storage, then 1000... of course.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

atomicpile posted:

I thought of making a thread where we listed things that aren’t getting shittier. Then I realized there wouldn’t be any content for it. Business degrees ruin everything.

I actually did and it has 4 posts. so, you know...

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
BG3 is what is going to bring furry / hentai into the true mainstream. I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the apocalypse in some religions. Everyone is too busy accusing obama / biden / pence of being the antichrist, but it's been a video game all along. Jack Thompson was right.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Millenials are like 40 now, we're old and we do what old people do. It was never about generations, all generations start out as young people and turn into old people. In 2050, if there still is an internet, zoomers will be using dead gay social media platforms to complain about the perverted, decadent sexuality of the youth.

This is something I'm unironically curious about - will we see this happen? Will the millennial generation get weird and conservative about social policy and the 'kids these days', especially around sexuality et al?

I dunno. tbd on that I guess, but I'd like to think we'd trend to be at least a little less prudish.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wikia / fandom is basically a complete collection of all the things that make the Internet lovely.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't realize they bought out something awful.

Unironically - SA has what is probably my favorite community site design on the Internet. It's very simple - it uses space to provide functionality very well. It's snappy as hell. It wasn't built for a phone by some dumbass front end engineers who then just said, 'gently caress it' when it came to the desktop design. It gets the job done in all the right ways - I wouldn't change much.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

They do work, if you have a fundamental moral objection to the concept of streaming, then obviously you aren't going to be happy :shrug:

Streaming would actually be fine if it worked.

By 'worked', I mean I want to a feature rich client that doesn't suck (this doesn't exist) and a library with absolute permanence (this doesn't exist).

Streaming makes acquisition as easy as it can be, but it has traded literally everything else for that.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

anonumos posted:

A lot of that is simple software bloat. Even 3 years down the road, Facebook, youtube, et al. want to do more. With newer, more powerful phones hitting the market all the time, most development, including the OS, will be aimed at the most powerful, most common hardware. That means your phone is steadily falling behind with every release of the next thing. The software simply cannot dumb itself down to fit your hardware...not cost efficiently, at least.

It's a mix of the hardware aging (battery capacity), dev laziness (program for the latest), and planned obsolescence (by design or "happy" accident).

This is not really the thread to get into how to solve these kinds or problems, or what decisions could be made different but this is all crap. You could *trivially* do an order of magnitude of work on the same hardware if the software was built differently - if Youtube actually gave the tiniest poo poo about the consumer experience, they could make their phone app and web site so much better. But they don't - and they don't need and frequently they don't *want* to. The consumer is the product and the vast majority of their cooperate give-a-poo poo is working on backend and ad delivery. The decisions they make on the consumer side are informed by goals on ad delivery, not on 'good UX'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 13, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
+1ing Affinity. I've full-switched to their stuff and have been very happy. gently caress Adobe right up the rear end!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

is pepsi ok posted:

I keep hearing that dentist chains like Sage are awful and constantly try to upsell you.

I wrote a mini tirade about this before, but yes - Most dentists are more concerned about upselling you crap then they are anything medical.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

Awful.app on iOS removed Imgur support a month ago because imgur is on its last legs.

Is there a good alternative?

Imgur used to be really good and I guess I have no idea how they were paying for stuff, but it seems it's circling the drain.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

It would make sense for Apple to sell smart TVs that solve many of the probkems of regular smart TVs but cost $10,000. Selling de-enshittified tech to rich people for absurd markups has been a pillar of their business for a long time.

Apple de-enshittifies tech, and then proceeds to re-enshittify it, just with Apple branded shittification.

I would be cutting blank checks to a company that is actually making good, de-enshittified stuff

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't really use Apple stuff but from my casual acquaintance Apple enshittifies the internals of their products rather than the UX amd their rich customers are happy to throw their Apple products away and buy new ones. It's an enshittification you don't notice if you make $400k and don't give a gently caress about the environment.

The UX of Apple products is generally pretty great until you actually need the device to do something. As long as you keep your relationship with Apple firmly in the camp of 'toy' and not 'tool', they generally do OK, but the closer you get to the spectrum of 'tool', the more the software of their products starts to really suck.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

I disagree. The UX is not generally pretty great, but it is also not a toy and there is some powerful stuff you can do on mobile with eg shortcuts. if you like to took around the terminal is right there on macOS.

However, the UX is still better than most things out there you can buy.

"powerful stuff" compared to a phone. Completely pathetic compared to any other computer. I have a pile of examples of how MacOS just doesn't let you flip or turn a knob from when I was forced to use that trashfire of an OS for development, but my favorite is probably asking people to turn off Mouse Acceleration on MacOS. You can gently caress with .GlobalPreferences, but it won't persist between restarts :P. Just a quintessential MacOS experience, that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

you should look into the powerful technique of a script that runs at login, power developer

Yep - and you sure could just do a bunch of patchwork jank to get (almost) everything just so. And if you are really lucky, Apple won't ship an update that just bricks your stack of 'fixes' for at least 6 months.

I'd rather just use an operating system that has graduated from 'pretty toy' to 'actual tool'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2023