Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

This has been a huge issue with mushroom foraging books. As most people know the details super loving matter on mushroom identification so basically the whole community has been telling every new hobbiest to make sure theyre sticking to a few older mainstay books and ignore anything newly published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

euphronius posted:

Did Reddit finally nuke its readable layouts

I can’t seem to request desktop layout anymore

Reddit has never been readable.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
An empty lobby at a vets office means literally nothing because vets try to keep them clear as possible because animals easily spread some pretty horrific diseases back and forth very easily. They could have had every room booked and you just dont see it. or all the extra poo poo going on in back. Like when I was working for a vets office there were regularly times when we didn't book certain things because the vet was doing surgerys so they were stuck in the back and only things that could be fully done by techs happened out front.

lol what an incredible loving karen. I was an hour late and they charged me!!!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't Etsy just a bunch of low effort dropshippers these days?

Unfortunately as a working artist myself, its still one of the best places for me to put my artwork for sale with out having to make my full own website / shopify / whatever. I do recheck the landscape about every year but nothing has really come around to being better with as much reach.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

big mean giraffe posted:

People who drink room temp water are literally psychopaths. Just keep a filtered pitcher in the fridge, problem solved.

I don't actually like cold water and specifically grab it from the tap for that reason lol.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ugh, I just switched from chrome/google over to Firefox.

lol same. god drat it. at this point im willing to pay actual money for something functional but bespoke browser with no garbage.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Out of curiosity i started posting my timelapses of painting on tiktok and they get like a few hundred views and that's it ever and definitely dont translate into cross traffic onto etsy for viewing or anything.

I appreciate the existence of the internet and social media for giving me more ways to sell that dont involve the horrible toxic world of gallerys or setting up at craft fairs but its definitely a crap shoot.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Twitter weirdos once got mad at some lady for bringing some chili to a neighbor.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

doctorfrog posted:

oh hey, here's something that's getting shittier: my digestive tract. I get gut pains when I eat onions or garlic now and am on a horrible low fodmap diet. I pretty much threw out my entire cooking repertoire a year and a half ago, started a new binder with modified recipes I can tolerate.

er, I mean, how dare you suggest I eat something without considering my highly specific personal circumstance, you fiend!

dang I miss onions

and eating out

Husband is allergic to alliums and fody foods has been a bit of a god send. We make almost everything from scratch. Saves a ton of money but their spicy arriabata makes a great pizza sauce base and for pasta i use it with a lot of mushrooms and peppers and whatever other vegs i have around.

Its honestly become a bit of a fun challenge for me to work around. Adept with a lot more spices.

Its made me realize how one note the meals are where people just cram a fuckload of garlic into things.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The worst for this is old apple product cords. They literally start oozing after about 10 years. I work in IT and I once found a bin of some pretty old ones in a closet and I basically took the whole thing and dumped it in the trash ecycle with out even trying to find survivor cords because it was so loving gross.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I used to do the encyclopedia version of clicking on random wikipedia pages. Just open random volumes at random spots, read about random thing and then possibly if my interest was sparked i'd go hunting the library for more info. I really liked being at the library.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can only hope we're close to hitting some sort of moment where we finally stop using plastics because they're so loving horrible.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Here's a fun one!

(big image)

I've been boycotting nestle for like 15 years now? and holy gently caress is it difficult because they just keep buying up random rear end brands.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i have to put another layer between my vehicles sound system and my phone now and its annoying

You are clearly supposed to buy a new car with Carplay(tm) and stop being a drain on society and capitalism with your older probably paid off car.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
re duolingo

Husband took japanese for business in college and then actually used it functionally in his job for many years and ive been loving around and doing japanese on duolingo and he's just fascinated about how weird their order of operations is for teaching and also what they're teaching me certain words mean. Also the "no one uses that word, why on earth are they teaching you that" etc. Ill just eventually switch over to college text books that we still have hanging around after i feel confident in katakana and hiragana.

Oh and he will hear the app speaking sentences out loud and he's just "what the gently caress is that intonation, it doesnt match the statement at all"

Spanish seemed pretty on par with both order and what they were teaching compared to my 4 years of spanish classes but that was like 5 years ago when i rewent through the course to brush up so idk what they've done to it now.

Its sad that duolingo is starting to suck so hard because ive kind of tried all the big ones - rosetta, mango, etc and for whatever reason duolingo generally meshed with my particular learning style and retention.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The tiny truckbeds are the most embarrassing part of the tiny dick mobile trucks. Like what the gently caress are you even doing with a 4ft bed? you can fit like one major appliance in there. maybe. but most people i know with trucks wont even risk that because it might scratch the bed!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Technically I think cellphone in hand is illegal in WA but its funny to ride a bus to downtown and just look down at all the cars around you and see 60+% of people in drivers seats of cars all tapping away.

Got rear ended a few months back at a super well known choke point on i5 just before the downtown exits and in the process of trying to exchange info, i watched 2 other people get rear ended at the same 100 yard stretch. Weather was perfectly clear and normal. Road was dry.

no one is paying attention to poo poo and being around cars in any capacity is an exercise in terror.

Also the guy who hit us had no insurance. So that's cool. If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage you are asking for misery.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 10, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just want people to stop tail gating. please stop tail gating me. im in the right lane and going 5 over. leave me alone. get away. I dont want to get rear ended again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leviathan Song posted:

Also, if you're getting tailgated often enough to complain about it on the internet, you probably aren't getting tailgated. You're just being followed at a reasonable distance and acting liking an rear end in a top hat in response. Tailgating happens but I think it happens to me 2-3 times a year at most. I'm more likely to encounter someone trying to brake check people for no loving reason than people actually tailgating.

If you are less than one car length behind me and we're going 65mph, you are absolutely tailgating the poo poo out of me. People do this every loving day in Seattle. Tailgating is any time you are following someone close enough that if they had to stop and you can't stop fast enough to not hit them in response. Its irresponsible and stupid behavior.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leviathan Song posted:

I live in the Seattle area and no they don't. If anything Seattle area drivers are calm, slow and have respectful following distances. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

lmao. lol.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cerekk posted:

Seattle drivers are so mellow that they're dangerous, in that it's so common for people to give way to onramp traffic that onramp traffic largely makes no attempt to merge safely or even look to see if anyone is in the lane before moving into it.

Its not that they're mellow. Its that they're just loving like not even paying attention to driving at all. The guy who hit me most recently tried to claim that "his brakes failed" after hitting us and its like no man, i have the dash cam. you never even tried to brake.

A few years back I got hit by someone taking an illegal right turn on red during a green uturn blinker on hwy 99 and no poo poo he pops out of the truck after hitting us and just says "whoa where did you even come from???"

Few years before that - got hit by someone in a gas station while we were pumping. Just utterly blank and confused.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
all said and done i think it seems like we all agree driving has absolutely gotten way shittier for no good reason.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It takes like 3 hours to get a license in the US which doesn't help.

I didn't get one until i was 22ish which meant i never had to go through any drivers ed. I just took a short test for a permit. Practiced in a friends car for a bit. Bought my own. Took that to the dmv. Took another written test that was almost entirely focused on legal alcohol limits and dui law and then got in the car with a tester. Did an around the block and parallel parked behind the dmv and scored an 86. Walked out fully legal to drive. Im 36 now and Ive never had to retest or even prove i can even still see. Ive renewed my license online every time except when i got married and needed to change my name on it.

The whole system here is comical.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cerekk I feel like you should go to D&D and talk about your dad's illegal voting there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Duck and Cover posted:

Gee can't imagine a world where people don't have consistent signatures. Nope. Sure can't. We all work at real jobs and sign things constantly so our signatures is just are just like a thumb print.

I've gotten the WA state "please confirm this is you" quite a few times because i went through a period of time where i was adjusting my signature and hand grip lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I ordered jeans on Amazon a couple of times and they all developed holes around the back pockets within like a month, right where my rear end is. Then I went to the store and got the same type/size and they were perfectly fine. Amazon sold me fake Levi's :mad:

I worked for a high end clothing company for a while about 10 years ago and at the time they had a main high end clothing retail sales store and "discount" version of themselves where you'd get out of season poo poo and people loved it.

But then around the time I was working there they started developing the "made for discount store" goods which were like high end knock offs "at totally still great quality" and for a few years it was decent ish. I no longer worked for them by this point.

I went into the discount store semi recently and holy gently caress the quality is just a joke and they no longer seem to sell any of the discount high end stuff at all. Its all just forever21/shein level of quality poo poo now while still sporting the high end brand names.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

You guys wanna hear something loving gross?

So my dad died almost a year ago. It was very sad and I'm still upset about it. My nephew and sister are living with my mom (and dad previously) due to financial troubles. My nephew never had a dad. He skipped town immediately when he was born. My dad was like a dad to him.

Last week my nephew told me that a while back, right after my dad died, someone came to their door and said "We're aware that someone just died here and we were wondering if you want to sell the house to us?" My nephew, about 6'3 220lbs and very polite and soft spoken was like "What?" The guy asked again and my nephew just said "Leave now."

I couldn't believe the loving gall of that snake. What prompted my nephew to tell me is that I sent him this text I got two weeks ago.

I looked up the company and they have no online presence and have been around for less than 2 years.

:capitalism:

No poo poo like 2 months after my dad died we also had these vultures circling. They texted me, my sister, and my brother. We live spread across the country too. I was at a loss at how they even found my number since I changed it after I moved out of TN. My guess is they spend some money on like those police report style back ground checks when they see someone's obituary pop up / county records changes. My uncle had been living with my dad so we essentially transferred the house to my uncle for the minimum we could legally and the guy who was harassing us was just aghast.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

20 Blunts posted:

always was lovely but, after throwing $20 bucks at Facebook to promote an event im doing, I immediately had phishing bots blowing up my page's inbox and its still happening. the platform is hosed

Every time I get an etsy message alert I think "oh neat maybe someone is asking about a painting" and every time its a scammer. Ultimate let down every time.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sorry goons. Trump keeps claiming you need an ID to buy groceries. I mistakenly thought more people would be familiar with it.

I thought this was the funny things you remember in politics thread for a sec and then i was surprised at people not getting the reference too lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

teen witch posted:

My sinuses are getting shittier, why am I feeling new sinus pain. How much sinuses can a person even have? Am I just all sinus?

Glad to have gotten AI results when googling, cool and good.

In the last few years my sinuses and allergys have gotten significantly worse - to the point where I lost 20lbs last year because my stomach got angry at the sheer amount of mucus happening. I made an appointment with an allergist and he asked if I had had covid and I said no but I guess apparently a lot of peoples allergies are getting a lot worse post covid. In my case I just have a really bad dust mite allergy so im finally getting allergy shots.

Even with out outdoor/tree allergies the pollen levels are so loving high right now. Wearing a mask on high pollen days outside can make things a lot less difficult to deal with. Like if you do yard work or just plan to spend an extended amount of time outside it really really helps.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol 70 in my state and a ton in my county. A ton of them are boeing and plane related and various smelters.

A reminder that if you live in the puget sound area you should check to see if you live in the alcoa plume range before you grow any foods in the dirt. South seattle tacoma and vashon are particularly hosed with in ground heavy metals.

Theres free test kits I guess if you google a bit.

https://ecology.wa.gov/blog/june-2016/tacoma-smelter-plume-recap-of-tacoma-public-meetin

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 2, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Salt Fish posted:

The last time I interacted with someone else's kids I was flagged down by two kids who were out in 110 degree heat with no water and one of them was losing their vision and basically couldn't talk. They begged me to call 911, which I did, and I gave them all the water I had on me and moved them to the shade. Of course by the time the ambulance came the kid was basically snapped out of it from the shade and water, but the ambulance had to take him in by policy and called his parents to let them know.

I still wonder if the parents were pissed because I'm sure they got a $1k+ bill and I was on the fence of talking the kid down, giving him water and shade and waiting 5 minutes, but I opted to call 911 right away.

Anyway I dunno where I'm going with this but nobody called me a pedo during the whole thing.

Its really cool living in America - you absolutely did the right thing because heat stroke can go from scary to death really quick sometimes and its not worth playing games about but the fact that we have to do the mental calculus of "sure i might be dying but I also might go bankrupt and lose my house"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also just worked with a guy once who was a little scruffy who was just a magnet for people being assholes to him. Like not just being yelled at for existing near children - he would get like the wildest stories of just say waiting at a stop light in the companys car and the guy in front of him got out of the car to come scream at him and bang on the car and he was just ???

he never knew why that guy was so mad.

I think the most hosed up one was that he was taking photos of sunset at a really big popular local park and some dude walked over and accused him of taking pictures of their kids and was demanding that he give him his SD card or he would destroy the camera. He showed him his cameras history which was wow just sunset photos at the park and the dude just huffed off.