Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They moved the fingerprint sensor from the back of Samsung phones to be on the front so you use it on the screen, it makes screen replacement tedious and if you get someone else to do it it's dumb expensive because of this

They did the same thing on the pixel and it sucks. Not to mention that since it's under the screen it works inconsistently if I have a screen protector on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SlimGoodbody posted:

The thesis of this article is also true for everything that is not an online platform, because capitalism paradoxically chases eternal, exponential returns in a closed and finite system. This means that all goods and services which have had their non-integral surplus value extracted already must eventually cannibalize themselves as well in order to continue their zombie lurch towards that forever-multiplying return. If they don't do this, they will be devoured by a competitor who is, or by a private equity firm that will strip it for parts and bankrupt it.

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

Case in point there...

Inevitably batshit insane rightwing sites are free and articles debunking that poo poo from regular news sites go the paywall route.

skooma512 posted:

My Fire stick will only update itself or the apps loaded therein when I want to use it. It's sticking out of my tv with an external power source 24/7, but no, only when I'm trying to use it is when the updates have to be installed. The same thing on my partner's smart tv, have to press Update and sit there watching the progress bar instead of it just doing it at 3am.

Like c'mon, I know you have telemetry showing when I'm not using the device, just push the update and leave me alone already.

Same here. I only use my smart TV at lunch time and after work. But inevitably it will want to update, and will take me out of whatever I was doing to prompt me to "update or skip." Just update it when I'm not watching. It's not like I can tell it to "ignore".. if I skip it will prompt me again next time I want to use it.

I remember when software was just released and complete. Now everything needs constant updates. Why does Youtube need to update, I was watching videos fine yesterday. And why does it need to update RIGHT NOW, while I'm wanting to watch it. My TV is basically on all the time since you can't turn it completely off without unplugging it (always a light shining even if the TV is powered off).

And god forbid you want to see what they changed... everything is always bullshit like "made changes to improve stability."

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 3, 2023

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

digitalist posted:

I've been poking around for random stuff like new nozzles for my 3d printer or camera accessories and to see the shipping price, the storefront forces you to enter your email, and if you don't follow through with the purchase, I now 100% of the time get an email reminding me about the items I "forgot" in my cart. This sucks, I'm clearing carts if I don't actually purchase anything but I'm sure they're still harvesting all that data and selling it to someone regardless.

I don't even buy stuff from random stormfronts anymore because of the "get this (dropshipped thing) for only $5 shipped! Oh, and we're going to bill you $9.95 a month for membership in our exclusive deals website!" Except it escalates to 9.95, then 12.95, 17.95, 29.95, 39.95 a month. Happened to my son when he thought he was getting a sweet deal for a free T shirt on facebook. Had to fight with the company, threaten a chargeback, dispute w/ paypal, etc etc and then argue with the company "well we can offer it for a discounted price of 19.95/month going forward if you don't cancel." then a bunch of back and forths... "how about 12.95. how about 9.95. how about 7.95. how about 4.95. OK fine we'll cancel for you."

Every ad I see now it's promoting dropshipped crap - even amazon is doing it where you search for something generally in tech (i.e. "wireless repeater") and you get pages upon pages of the same 3 units being sold by a multitude of different vendors and prices. And you can't trust reviews because they all do the "we will give you the product for free if you give us a great review, don't tell amazon" scam. And it happens with freaking everything there.

And all thatFBA party stuff pollutes the regular inventory too, because amazon will just combine items that are sent in from different drop shippers and pick at random to ship. https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

So they've just gotten sucky. And they don't give a problem w/returns, but it's such a hassle and a gamble I don't even bother anymore

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Time_pants posted:

OneNote is perfect for one very specific type of data being presented in a very specific way. I can't imagine it being good for literally anything else.

"Onenote is for taking notes! And it's free for everyone! People will FLOCK from word and use this weird, different program now, because everyone will be using Microsoft Surface and taking digital notes with a pen! Who needs good spell checking, it's just notes! Also, I love Microsoft Bob." - some Microsoft engineer.

If I'm collaborating with others, at least give me robust grammar and spell checking so the output is presentable. It's the worst of both worlds for me.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I want to go back to getting dvds by mail

Wish granted. They're all DIVX discs now with embedded ads.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jawnycat posted:

Microwave meals have gotten shittier. For awhile they graduated up from packaged sadness to actual decent food but have recently started to plummet right back down. I especially love that allot of them now no longer use a simple plastic film, but a plastic baggy, meaning the bottom of the tray gets covered in crap and extricating it from the baggy is unpleasant. Double so for the ones that want you to stir it half-way through, meaning you've got to negotiate the drat thing back into the wet plastic baggy.

It's 2023, microwave technology should be advanced enough by now to just cook the food without the song and dance. Pierce film, microwave 4 min, stir, replace film, microwave 6 more min. More and more meals do this and it sucks.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently android apps can add to the context menu which sucks. Installed outlook for my stupid work email and now they put search with bing in there. Only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the app. gently caress bing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes, tap-to-pay works. Sometimes when I try to tap-to-pay, I get a message telling me to swipe or insert the card. How is it even possible to have a card with a chip with a tap-to-pay success rate of neither 0% nor 100%? :psyduck:

Local Walgreens by me has chip insert, but you have to insert it with the chip facing *down* (unlike 99 other places where you do it face up). It's the only retailer I've ever been to that does it and apparently every customer inserts it the incorrect way the first time according to the cashier. Just, why? I mean I know the answer is, "it saved us 10 cents per unit to orient them wrong" but it's so bizarre and lovely.

Also re: weather exaggeration... There were so many overblown bad weather alerts down here that when we really had a weather emergency no one paid attention.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 26, 2024